Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

PirateNipple posted:

Not sure what you're doing differently but his jumping up is to turn himself around, just get the gently caress away from him then wait for him to slam his body down and start crawling. Stay away from him until he stops, unload on one of his legs or his tail for 5-10 seconds, then get away and repeat. Apparently you can cut the tail off to get a weapon and make the fight harder, I didn't do this.

Okay I guess I'm doing things mostly right because the only thing that's annoying is him jumping up because it screws with my orientation. Might be a little greedy too but okay, I'll focus on that.

I did do that last part though, and he promptly squashed me right after. I got it though haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

where is there a bonfire near the armored boar? i'm still working off of the one in the undead burg :[

If yourun pastthe bridge dragon instead of going under it there is a bonfire and a gate to the parish right there.

Easy way to get past the dragon: Assuming you're coming from the burg's fire, go up the ladder, then go up the stairs and walk outside for a second to get him to clear off the bridge, then use a bow to shoot him in the face after he lands. He'll fly down to the bridge and you can just run right past him.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

evilalien posted:

You have to keep going and find one near the blacksmith.

how far am i from that? i've just gotten to the far side of the gate you can raise.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Ornamented Death posted:

Do you get the axe if he chops the tail off? Because I've been going nuts trying to get that loving axe and it just isn't working for me when I summon him.

The axe isn't directly awarded to you, it drops as loot when the tail comes off.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

Sultan Tarquin posted:

How the gently caress do you aim the bow, I must be missing something really basic here ?_?

I haven't done it in a while but it's something like: as you're holding down R1 to fire, press L1 (or was it L3?) to bring up the reticule. If you have your X-axis inverted for your camera controls, it'll be inverted here too... because that makes sense.

I'm going to be that guy and whine about something. At some points in this game I wonder if they just went overboard with the sadism, sacrificing actual gameplay in the process.

Surprise floor breaks away, takes a chunk off my health, and drops me into a room with a giant boss? I'm okay with that.

Walk into a new room/tower and get one-shotted by some rear end with a mace-tipped sword? I'm okay with that. Turns out he takes 20+ backstabs with a +5 shortsword, and messing up once means being one-shot killed even with a shield up? I'm okay with that.

I honestly think the Capra Demon is one of those places they really didn't think things through. Boss with fast, sweeping attacks in a very confined area, fine. But the dogs are bullshit, especially with the one second you get to react before you're pretty much slaughtered. There's just too much luck involved in this encounter -- all it takes is one of the dogs to nip you, then the boss suddenly has two swords in your back. It doesn't help that your camera is also bouncing off the walls in that small space.

Maybe I suck, but it pretty much forces you to be a knight/soldier type character. Good luck if you're playing a dodging/dex playstyle. I realize the game is designed so that you'll die many times as you try to learn the bosses' patterns, but here you get a mere few seconds at most -- seconds which are probably spent trying to get rid of the dogs.

I had to gear up in my knight armor to give myself the best chance possible. I got lucky and killed both dogs by standing on the archway at the top of the stairs, then just stood up there and cheesed my way out by pelting the demon with heavy soul arrows. I wasn't going to risk another 20+ tries on the boss for the sake of "gameplay" and trying to learn its attack patterns. On the next playthrough, maybe.

Anyhow, thanks for that cliff-jumper soul farming trick, folks. I'll probably have to abuse that for a while to make up for all the souls I lost. I'd rather not have another repeat of the Capra Demon because I happen to be underleveled or something. I'll have to upgrade some more weapons in preparation for additional attribute weapons.

Here's some random tips that may have already been mentioned, if anyone actually manages to read them in this incredibly fast thread:

-Spend your drat money, especially if you have nothing to buy except more stats. You're going to lose it at one point or another.

-You can usually cause your NPC opponent to stop their parry/riposte guard by switching to a catalyst and firing off a quick soul arrow or something.

-Upgrading your weapon is more helpful than you might think. I've been using a shortsword, and I'd guesstimate at +5 I did about twice the damage as I did with the base sword.

-You can farm 700 souls fairly easily, along with mosses that stop bleeding and poison in the forested area after the first blacksmith guy.

softcorps fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 6, 2011

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Anyone happen to be around SL 68 and have an extra or unwanted dark wood grain ring kicking around I could have or maybe trade something for? I kind of screwed myself out of the one in my game and it was kind of the thing I've built my whole character around :smith:

A Total Melvin
Mar 13, 2006

IT'S DANGEROUS TO GO ALONE, TAKE THIS.
Okay, So I just made it to the gargoyle and I got my rear end kicked.

How would I have someone help me fight him? I don't think I understand the online very well.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm about to buy this game, but I was told that there are whips in the game? How common are they? Are they a complete weapon type like swords and spears? I want to pretend I'm playing Castlevania but I'm not sure how feasable that is. Leather skirts and sandals are optional.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I love that your best weapon in this game is patience. Finally finished off the Stray Demon and I can finally leave the Undead Asylum. Now just a couple more Dex for that sweet Black Knight sword...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

Killing the gargoyles won't unlock anything but an NPC for awhile. You could explore Darkroot Garden run past the golem near the undead parish blacksmith or unlock the depths use the basement key from the undead parish to unlock the door right after the taurus demon fight

Right on thanks. I'm gonna try the gargoyles a few more times tonight and if that doesn't work I'll check out these places.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

A Total Melvin posted:

Okay, So I just made it to the gargoyle and I got my rear end kicked.

How would I have someone help me fight him? I don't think I understand the online very well.

Make sure you are not hollowed, and look for summoning signs in the parish. Most people seem to drop the sign right at the end of the path from the blacksmith, before the church.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

how far am i from that? i've just gotten to the far side of the gate you can raise.

You're close. Go around to the right side of the Church and you should find a narrow path leading away from the church where you can hear the blacksmith hammering away.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Traxis posted:

Make sure you are not hollowed, and look for summoning signs in the parish. Most people seem to drop the sign right at the end of the path from the blacksmith, before the church.

I've seen quite a few next to the elevators in the Parish as well.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm about to buy this game, but I was told that there are whips in the game? How common are they? Are they a complete weapon type like swords and spears? I want to pretend I'm playing Castlevania but I'm not sure how feasable that is. Leather skirts and sandals are optional.

I think they only do slashing damage, which makes them rubbish on anything that isn't flesh. But If you were to enchant them, I think they'd be feasible? I guess a flaming or holy whip would be in character.

(below post)

Volvagia posted:

Is humanity supposed to be so ultra rare to come by? Haven't seen a summon sign / been invaded / anything.

You can sometimes get humanity points off of random monsters. I've lost all mine so far, and I don't think I've been in human form once on this character. Like souls, it's one of those things best used ASAP. I'm personally hoarding all my humanity items in case I ever need to set up a kindled bonfire in a particularly difficult area.

softcorps fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 6, 2011

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
I really thought people were exaggerating whenever they talked about the difficulty, but man oh man I didn't expect this. Died probably upwards of 50 times just in the burg, but finally getting a handle on things and demolished the gargoyles in 2 tries. Is humanity supposed to be so ultra rare to come by? Haven't seen a summon sign / been invaded / anything.

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007
Which way am I supposed to be going in Blighttown to "progress"? Up or down? I went in from the Valley of Drakes side and got up to the door that I can't open which I'm pretty sure is at the crystal gear vendor in the depths but now I'm lost. :(

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Volvagia posted:

I really thought people were exaggerating whenever they talked about the difficulty, but man oh man I didn't expect this. Died probably upwards of 50 times just in the burg, but finally getting a handle on things and demolished the gargoyles in 2 tries. Is humanity supposed to be so ultra rare to come by? Haven't seen a summon sign / been invaded / anything.

You aren't going to see summon signs or be invaded unless you are not hollowed. Humanity is fairly scarce in the beginning, so you can try getting summoned near a boss to obtain some.

A Total Melvin
Mar 13, 2006

IT'S DANGEROUS TO GO ALONE, TAKE THIS.

Traxis posted:

Thanks!

Beat it and got my 6 Humanities back :)

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Volvagia posted:

That all happens in Human form, you have to have at least 1 humanity (the numbers in the upper left corner) and reverse hallowing at a bonfire.

VVV A respawning enemy is closing it, look close next time and you'll see him. VVV

Draven fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 6, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
what the gently caress is the point of that gate if it loving closes when you die

:[ hopefully i can get to it, i have like 4k souls and 5 humanity :[

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I'm playing as a warrior, I got the flame and I bought a spell, but I don't know how to use magic. Do I need to "attune" it or whatever? What do I need to raise/obtain to get attunement slots? Is it worth pursuing?

I just beat the Gaping Dragon, stuck my nose in Blighttown and of course got clubbed to death. Are there any side areas I should have explored by now to get some rad equipment? I've already killed the Butterfly and Havel but nothing else that I can think of.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

softcorps posted:

I honestly think the Capra Demon is one of those places they really didn't think things through. Boss with fast, sweeping attacks in a very confined area, fine. But the dogs are bullshit, especially with the one second you get to react before you're pretty much slaughtered. There's just too much luck involved in this encounter -- all it takes is one of the dogs to nip you, then the boss suddenly has two swords in your back. It doesn't help that your camera is also bouncing off the walls in that small space.

That's the game's way of telling you to level up or summon someone.

softcorps posted:

Walk into a new room/tower and get one-shotted by some rear end with a mace-tipped sword? I'm okay with that. Turns out he takes 20+ backstabs with a +5 shortsword, and messing up once means being one-shot killed even with a shield up? I'm okay with that.

Different weapon/damage type would have done much better likely...But toughing things out with a low level sword are what this game's about :3:

softcorps posted:

-Upgrading your weapon is more helpful than you might think. I've been using a shortsword, and I'd guesstimate at +5 I did about twice the damage as I did with the base sword.

-You can farm 700 souls fairly easily, along with mosses that stop bleeding and poison in the forested area after the first blacksmith guy.

Addendum:
-Upgrade something to +5 then hop onto an elemental tier for your first, or jump to raw. It's so worth it. Raw tends to even out stat bonuses, which is good if you don't focus.

-Farm 700 a time up to 20k and buy the seal from the smith. Soul farming city. The signs on the ground will help.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Guliani is HOT posted:

I'm playing as a warrior, I got the flame and I bought a spell, but I don't know how to use magic. Do I need to "attune" it or whatever? What do I need to raise/obtain to get attunement slots? Is it worth pursuing?

This should probably be in the OP, but in order to use sorceries you need to equip a catalyst, in order to use miracles you need to equip a talisman, and to use pyromancies you need to equip a pyromancy flame. You also need to attune (equip) spells into your slots via bonfires.

The game doesn't really explain any of this, but if you played Demon's Souls, it worked the same way.

Edit: Probably been asked a lot, but what's a good place to grind after beating the first boss? Having the dragon flame the enemies on the bridge for 300 souls still feels pretty slow.

qbert fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 6, 2011

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

what the gently caress is the point of that gate if it loving closes when you die

:[ hopefully i can get to it, i have like 4k souls and 5 humanity :[

Next time you open it and need to use it, just make a run for it, you'll make it before the rear end in a top hat who closes it.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Guliani is HOT posted:

I just beat the Gaping Dragon, stuck my nose in Blighttown and of course got clubbed to death. Are there any side areas I should have explored by now to get some rad equipment? I've already killed the Butterfly and Havel but nothing else that I can think of.

You need at least 10 attunement to get an attunement slot. Attune the spell at a bonfire, equip the flame/talisman etc. and then use L1 or R1 (depending on which hand its on) to cast.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is the special roll worth getting 20 Dexterity for? I'm trying to weigh in the benefits. I only have 12 Dexterity, though and the points can go into other things like Intelligence. Thoughts?

Oh and I ask this this earlier but got no answer: do the enemies in the forest (unlocked by the symbol you buy at the blacksmith) drop anything good? I've just been letting them fall to their death

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jimbot posted:

Oh and I ask this this earlier but got no answer: do the enemies in the forest (unlocked by the symbol you buy at the blacksmith) drop anything good? I've just been letting them fall to their death
I've been fighting them or a while and haven't gotten any useful drops, maybe I'll try it your way instead.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Where is the Sen's Fortress bonfire? I've found everything else up here but I just can't find this loving thing anywhere.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Jimbot posted:

Is the special roll worth getting 20 Dexterity for? I'm trying to weigh in the benefits. I only have 12 Dexterity, though and the points can go into other things like Intelligence. Thoughts?

I killed them about 10-20 times and didn't get any drops. What's the trick to getting them to fall off?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
how do i kill big bad tower boss guy? i usually do okay by just dodging and countering but i only do 18 damage a swing and it's so slow :[

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Phoix posted:

Where is the Sen's Fortress bonfire? I've found everything else up here but I just can't find this loving thing anywhere.
Up near the top there's a place you can drop down onto a balcony. I only found it because some nice person left a message saying so.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Phoix posted:

On the roof, you drop off the edge where there is a gap in the wall, you can see the bonfire below if you move the camera. You might want to kill the guy tossing bombs at you first though.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Okay, I had to give up last night after several runs through blighttown. Please tell me I'm just missing something here. I found the first bonfire, and:

1) I can't go backward. I thought I'd retreat back to firelink and grind in the forest for a ton of purple moss, but the path back seems to have closed up. I don't remember how it went, because I was so tired at that point (game won't let me sleep!), but I suspect I jumped down a ledge with no ladder back up?

2) There's no bonfire for like 30 minutes worth of a trek through the town, then through a swamp. I eventually reach a conveyor belt heading up, and there's signs all over that say "bonfire ahead," but I always either fall off trying to get off at the top, or shortly thereafter get hit with a toxin dart (with no healing items or estus left), and there doesn't seem to be a bonfire up there either.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've been fighting them or a while and haven't gotten any useful drops, maybe I'll try it your way instead.
That method makes up for all the poisonous swamps that gets put in these types of games.

Guliani is HOT posted:

I killed them about 10-20 times and didn't get any drops. What's the trick to getting them to fall off?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbFjdnYP9S4

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jimbot posted:

That method makes up for all the poisonous swamps that gets put in these types of games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbFjdnYP9S4
Haha oh my god that was funny to watch.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

how do i kill big bad tower boss guy? i usually do okay by just dodging and countering but i only do 18 damage a swing and it's so slow :[

Are you talking about Taurus or a Black Knight? Black Knights aren't bosses but early in the game you should just leave them alone. I killed the first Black Knight I came across by clearing out the area so I could kite and then I threw fireballs at him. The one at the top of the tower you can pull all the way down the staircase if you're uncomfortable fighting him on top of the tower.

If you're talking about the Taurus Demon then you're better off getting a new weapon if you're only doing 18 damage per swing. Either farm the zombies with axes until you get a battle axe or buy something better from the burg shop. The shop is underneath the two spear/shield zombies close to the bonfire, outside on a balcony.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 6, 2011

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Funkmaster General posted:

Okay, I had to give up last night after several runs through blighttown. Please tell me I'm just missing something here. I found the first bonfire, and:

1) I can't go backward. I thought I'd retreat back to firelink and grind in the forest for a ton of purple moss, but the path back seems to have closed up. I don't remember how it went, because I was so tired at that point (game won't let me sleep!), but I suspect I jumped down a ledge with no ladder back up?

2) There's no bonfire for like 30 minutes worth of a trek through the town, then through a swamp. I eventually reach a conveyor belt heading up, and there's signs all over that say "bonfire ahead," but I always either fall off trying to get off at the top, or shortly thereafter get hit with a toxin dart (with no healing items or estus left), and there doesn't seem to be a bonfire up there either.

I'm pretty sure it is possible to backtrack out, but I can't be sure. The ladders are easy to miss.

In the swamp look for a tunnel archway near the start of the path leading to the conveyor belt. Inside is a bonfire, and further down the path is an Estus flask upgrade item. If you take the conveyor belt up, and then climb a bunch more ladders, then fight through some more fattys you'll find the path to Valley of the Drakes which will lead back to Firelink.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Nechronic posted:

Are you talking about Taurus or a Black Knight? Black Knights aren't bosses but early in the game you should just leave them alone. I killed the first Black Knight I came across by clearing out the area so I could kite and then I threw fireballs at him. The one at the top of the tower you can pull all the way down the staircase if you're uncomfortable fighting him on top of the tower.

I killed that one by luring him all the way back underneath the dragon bridge, with the intention of bull-fighting him into running off the ledge. He ended up knocking me off, instead, but in the last second before I respawned he decided to jump off after me. B)

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Volitaire posted:

I'm pretty sure it is possible to backtrack out, but I can't be sure. The ladders are easy to miss.

In the swamp look for a tunnel archway near the start of the path leading to the conveyor belt. Inside is a bonfire, and further down the path is an Estus flask upgrade item. If you take the conveyor belt up, and then climb a bunch more ladders, then fight through some more fattys you'll find the path to Valley of the Drakes which will lead back to Firelink.

Wait, so the conveyor belt isn't leading me to the bell? Where am I supposed to be going then?

Also, gently caress those fat things forever and ever. How do you even poison a club in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Nechronic posted:

If you're talking about the Taurus Demon then you're better off getting a new weapon if you're only doing 18 damage per swing. Either farm the zombies with axes until you get a battle axe or buy something better from the burg shop. The shop is underneath the two spear/shield zombies close to the bonfire, outside on a balcony.

Sorry, no, I meant that mini-boss in the Undead Parish or whatever. With the tower shield and the mace.

• Locked thread