Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sairoth
Jul 11, 2006
Something I've noted in general in addition to mobs being much harder to kill is that the amount of XP they give has drastically been reduced. I was just screwing around and edited in some stuff to test out enchanting and after a night of running around on hard with a diamond sword I managed only to get 3 bars of XP. I enchanted my sword and my pickaxe but that's about it, all it shows is "Enchanted!!" and it glows.

Promising but nothing too thrilling yet.

In terms of things being harder to kill, the hit count on mobs went from 2-->3 in most cases with a diamond sword. Creepers/Skeletons take 3 hits and Zombies take 4. I could barely even hit the endermen that I found, their teleporting is fixed and seems to just constantly push them further away from you now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some old car parts
Aug 2, 2011

Makes me a very poor man
Hey guys, I just generated a new world in 1.9 prerelease 3.
I don't think my world is supposed to look like this.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Nenonen posted:

Are you able to breed your animals from before PR3? My sheep and cows now just ignore me when I'm holding grain, and when I feed it to them they will get the hearts but will not try to copulate. When I tried a fresh world, they worked. So are all my old animals just borked? :ohdear:

It's the same reason some of my old animals became babies. All old animals have age=0 in new worlds, so the game thinks they are babies and cannot reproduce. Just wait for a bit, should be of age eventually.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

DrApple posted:

Seems like your world has a bad case of langoliers going on

Sairoth
Jul 11, 2006

DrApple posted:

No...No...Pretty sure it's not. Give it a few more goes. I'm curious to see if it's maybe just that one instance of it? I've made a few worlds this morning and not run into anything like that.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Aw man, of course it releases on the day I don't get home and done with dinner until 7:30 PM-ish. Notch! :argh: Is the new stuff worth messing with it at ~10-20 FPS and everything low in my Linux partition on my netbook?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

tinaun posted:

It's the same reason some of my old animals became babies. All old animals have age=0 in new worlds, so the game thinks they are babies and cannot reproduce. Just wait for a bit, should be of age eventually.

Weird, now I found some animals that could breed, but the cows didn't produce a baby cow, just an adult looking like before. Is this an old world bug, or a SMP graphical bug?

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

DrApple posted:

The CLIFFS of INSANITY!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

DrApple posted:

Post the seed and see if you can replicate it!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HultiX42bw8

Today I teach you about animal cruelty. (and how I fill my maps with stupid references)

edit: Fixed the audio, hopefully.

wyoming fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 6, 2011

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Shnakepup posted:

The CLIFFS of INSANITY!

1.9pre3.2 patch notes:
Removed invisible ender-gremlins from chunk generation code.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Had a chance to play with 1.9 pre3. Confirming that I'm also finding strongholds generating at or very near 0,0.

..Wherever that may be:

They're very large structures and can span almost from the surface to the level where you start finding large pools of lava, maybe lower. The first one I explored had several "libraries", many jail-cell type rooms, and two rooms which resembled the old-style dungeons (monster spawner + large chest filled with quite a bit of loot). Strongholds are very expansive and seem to intersect with natural caves frequently.

I generated 3 different randomly-seeded worlds and looked around a bit. Couldn't find any NPC structures, but that may just be bad luck, as someone else said.

I don't have any worlds that were generated before the 1.9 pre-releases, but I'd be curious to see if strongholds have been located near 0,0 in earlier versions.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Anybody figure out enchanting ingredients yet? I've been throwing random poo poo into my inventory in hopes that something will trigger.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

I'm a little disappointed in the new potions system. The interface is better, even if it removes the novelty of loving with objects within the world, but jeb removed most of the complexity from it. Potions will only ever have one effect now, negative or positive. Redstone/glowstone effects strength or duration, and fermented eye will effect a couple potions negatively.

I liked the idea of having to balance negatives with positives, as well as having multiple effects on a single potion in general.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Few random questions:

-I'm using Sphax with pre2; do I have to wait for it to be updated with pre3, or will it work?

- Can save games just randomly decide to poo poo the bed, performance/crashing wise? I was playing on a going-drat-well map when all of a sudden the game started going into a massive slideshow. That's okay, I think, since Minecraft tends to be a resource hog, and it's happened before. I close out the game and reload it, and the framerate drop is still massive. Eventually (more than a few blocks), I get a brief flash of an error message before the Minecraft window goes black. Corrupted? Something I did wrong? The //only// thing I did before this happened was accidentally loading another Minecraft window, which I immediately closed, and nothing in task manager tells me I've got a shadow copy running in the background.

- Has a vague light fog (even with the farthest draw distance) in deep underground caves a bug or intended? I imagine it's intended as a guide...

A Lamer posted:

I liked the idea of having to balance negatives with positives, as well as having multiple effects on a single potion in general.

The problem with such a system is two fold:

* There's always more min-maxers than non-min-maxers. They don't want to deal with negatives. Leading to...

* Players will eventually discover, and use exclusively, potions without negatives. If there's no pure-positive potion, players will just do without the potion at all.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 6, 2011

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sairoth posted:

Something I've noted in general in addition to mobs being much harder to kill is that the amount of XP they give has drastically been reduced. I was just screwing around and edited in some stuff to test out enchanting and after a night of running around on hard with a diamond sword I managed only to get 3 bars of XP. I enchanted my sword and my pickaxe but that's about it, all it shows is "Enchanted!!" and it glows.

Promising but nothing too thrilling yet.

In terms of things being harder to kill, the hit count on mobs went from 2-->3 in most cases with a diamond sword. Creepers/Skeletons take 3 hits and Zombies take 4. I could barely even hit the endermen that I found, their teleporting is fixed and seems to just constantly push them further away from you now.

Are glowing items a source of light? Just wondering.

Also, I came across one of those glowy starfield things underground. It was vertical, like a curtain stretched across the mouth of the passageway. I didn't take a screenshot, because when I placed a torch to go check it out, it vanished. Who knows?

Sairoth
Jul 11, 2006

fondue posted:

Anybody figure out enchanting ingredients yet? I've been throwing random poo poo into my inventory in hopes that something will trigger.

There aren't any 'ingredients' for enchanting. If you're talking about the pedistal it's:

XBX
DOD
OOO

X- nothing
D- Diamond
B- Book
O- Obsidian

In terms of actually enchanting things, the green number that shows is the number of full bars of EXP you need to perform that enchant.

Good luck!

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

So do we actually have a number that displays what 'level' you are?

ZarquonHigardi
Mar 27, 2010

A Lamer posted:

I'm a little disappointed in the new potions system. The interface is better, even if it removes the novelty of loving with objects within the world, but jeb removed most of the complexity from it. Potions will only ever have one effect now, negative or positive. Redstone/glowstone effects strength or duration, and fermented eye will effect a couple potions negatively.

Yeah, the new potion system is a terrible disappointment. The reason we lost the old system? Because there could be potions with different names/colors but the same effects that didn't stack. Big whoop.

I want my homeopathic potions back. :(

Okay, the way the brewing worked in the old system (put ingredient in, take a sample out, open inventory to check effects, dump back in if you didn't like it, repeat) WAS a bit tedious, but I'd rather have the tedium in finding the good potions than a really simple system like we have now.

Edit:

MisterBibs posted:

The problem with such a system is two fold:

* There's always more min-maxers than non-min-maxers. They don't want to deal with negatives. Leading to...

* Players will eventually discover, and use exclusively, potions without negatives. If there's no pure-positive potion, players will just do without the potion at all.
I don't think this would have been entirely true. The weird thing about the old potion system was there was certain recipes that ended in water, allowing you to infinitely reproduce the potion by repeatedly diluting a sample of the potion with more water. Those are the potions that people would eventually use the most. If you capped the maximum number of ingredients allowed in a particular potion (which jeb eventually did test), you would limit the potential for all-positive potions that are infinitely reproducible.

Sure, min-maxers would probably still go out of their way to make a whole bunch of potions with better effects, but let them waste their time and ingredients.

ZarquonHigardi fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 6, 2011

Sairoth
Jul 11, 2006

TalonDemonKing posted:

So do we actually have a number that displays what 'level' you are?

Yes, when you earn a full bar of EXP it will show a green number in the center of the bar now. This is the number that can be 'spent' to enchant items.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Don't have the time to try out PR3 yet, but has anyone noticed any enchantments from the crafting table? I can't find anything on it besides people talking about the glowing wrapper that gets applied.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So I've been looking around for info on the newer blocks and current rumors seem to be that the strange floating blue blocks above lava in strongeholds are really portals to a new dimension that can be repaired with "Eyes of Ender" and that black goo effect might be what's used in them when it's complete

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 6, 2011

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

ZarquonHigardi posted:

Yeah, the new potion system is a terrible disappointment. The reason we lost the old system? Because there could be potions with different names/colors but the same effects that didn't stack. Big whoop.

I want my homeopathic potions back. :(

Okay, the way the brewing worked in the old system (put ingredient in, take a sample out, open inventory to check effects, dump back in if you didn't like it, repeat) WAS a bit tedious, but I'd rather have the tedium in finding the good potions than a really simple system like we have now.

What I would prefer is to have both the simple brewing stand method and the more complex, but more rewarding cauldron system. We have both stands and cauldrons, why not use both in different ways?

Edit:The main problem with the potions, as i see it, is that the complexity is gone, changing potion brewing from an engaging activity to glorified smelting. The old way was somewhat tedious, but it was always engaging, at least to me. What if you make potions using the brewing stand, but then you can use the cauldron to mix potions together, creating complex potions similar to the old system.

tinaun fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 6, 2011

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

tinaun posted:

What I would prefer is to have both the simple brewing stand method and the more complex, but more rewarding cauldron system. We have both stands and cauldrons, why not use both in different ways?

Edit:The main problem with the potions, as i see it, is that the complexity is gone, changing potion brewing from an engaging activity to glorified smelting. The old way was somewhat tedious, but it was always engaging, at least to me. What if you make potions using the brewing stand, but then you can use the cauldron to mix potions together, creating complex potions similar to the old system.

Suggest it to notch? While you're at it, see if you can get him to allow redstones on walls.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
It doesn't seem like there are many options for potion making. It just looks like you can only put water in a cauldron, draw it out with a bottle, combine the water bottle with netherwart to make an awkward potion, then combine it with one ingredient to make one of like five potions, two of which are outright bad. Okay?

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
OK so the weird blue tinted glass and black portal type material are stuff for going to the sky dimension. However there is no functional way to get there yet but the code for the aether is in the game.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

TalonDemonKing posted:

Suggest it to notch? While you're at it, see if you can get him to allow redstones on walls.

Also suggest some sort of elevator block that can go along with redstone wires on the walls.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
If you place an enchanting table near bookshelves, you get this

MisterBibs posted:

This is why I really think effects should be randomized per-world. That way every player has to discover their own good mixes, but after enough experimentation can have 'learned' a few really good recipes they can rely on.
Having it be universal for all worlds just means in short order there will be a go-to recipe guide and no one will ever experiment.

The new sky dimension sounds promising but I just know everyone's going to call it The Aether (which is a stupid name anyway).

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Vib Rib posted:

This is why I really think effects should be randomized per-world. That way every player has to discover their own good mixes, but after enough experimentation can have 'learned' a few really good recipes they can rely on.
Having it be universal for all worlds just means in short order there will be a go-to recipe guide and no one will ever experiment.

The new sky dimension sounds promising but I just know everyone's going to call it The Aether (which is a stupid name anyway).

Notch gave it that name.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

TalonDemonKing posted:

He should just take all of redpower and put it into minecraft. That addon is worth it's weight in gold.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
^^: Honestly I just want him to put in some goddamn gate blocks. Have a block that has a single output direction that can accept up to three inputs, so an 'and' gate isn't a massive amount of space. Just getting and, or, nand, nor, and xor would be fantastic. (why does spellcheck flag 'nand' but not 'xor')

Vib Rib posted:

Wikipedia, the most reliable source for anything posted:

* Aether (classical element), the material that fills the region of the universe above the terrestrial sphere
* Aether (mythology) was the personification of the "upper sky", space and heaven, in Greek mythology
The Aether seems like a really, really reasonable name for a sky dimension.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Lucid Dream posted:

The entire Minecraft community is 99% 12 year olds, so yeah its a lovely community on all sides not just on the modding end, but you acting all indignant about having to glance at an ad every now and then when downloading a new mod is even worse.

:ssh: I don't really use Minecraft mods that often, I'm just commenting on how I see mod authors acting.

Honeydew
Nov 27, 2005

That's a very nice jaffa cake you have there

Elysiume posted:

The Aether seems like a really, really reasonable name for a sky dimension.

I don't know how to pronounce it though... :(

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

But you guys invented the loving language! You said so yourself!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Honeydew posted:

It's ee-ther. Like the chemical.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Honeydew posted:

Just rhyme it with nether. It's not the right way to say it, but rhyming beats being correct any day.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I still say 'Ay-ther' for aether despite knowing that it's incorrect. I feels better and more mythological that way (in my opinion.)

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I just say Firmament like any good Anglicized Roman.

Honeydew
Nov 27, 2005

That's a very nice jaffa cake you have there

FPzero posted:

But you guys invented the loving language! You said so yourself!

Oh gently caress that made it into the video??? Ahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Omnicarus posted:

I just say Firmament like any good Roman.

You mean Firdaws, infidel.