Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

evilalien posted:

At 13 I have 172 so I think it just bottoms out at 4 per humanity.

No, it bottoms out at 1 but you're going to have to spend a lot of humanity to get there. I think 33 is the cutoff? Don't have the guidebook in front of me.

BTW IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT VAGRANTS

You've already seen them, they are those weird crab things. They are called "Drift Items" in the guidebook because they drift into other people's worlds. The weapons don't turn into phantoms...they turn into weird crabs if "certain conditions are met and enough players die in a certain area".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
Loving it, but I started as a wanderer and I suck, maybe I should have done a warrior. Might restart, I'm not too far.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
FINALLY rang that loving bell. Took long enough.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

No, it bottoms out at 1 but you're going to have to spend a lot of humanity to get there. I think 33 is the cutoff? Don't have the guidebook in front of me.

Goddamn that is pointless. They should have at least made it worthwhile in that regard. Oh well, at least there is that item find ring in the game.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Wang posted:

This should be in the OP I just read this tried it got him first try, once the dogs are dead this is the easiest way to kill him in four hits, THANK YOU!!!

Wait until I drop this bombshell on my no guide bros: The drake sword has a ranged attack. Two handed heavy attack.

Degrades like a bitch.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Vanguard Warden posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. My attunement is 11 in both cases too.

I'm am literally sitting here waiting for people to summon me. My sign is just inside the door of the church side entrance, by the blacksmith. SL 16, Xbox.

I'm SL 20. Don't think it would work.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Is grinding frowned upon? I passed on the Drake Sword because it seemed like it made the game too easy, but I want to get my armor up to +1 before I go any further. :[

Who is going to be frowning at you? Just play the game however you want.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
How do I open that one big door in the Undead Parish ?

I killed the Boar already, but I can't figure out where I'm supposed to go after that.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

der juicen posted:

I'm SL 20. Don't think it would work.

If it follows the Demons Souls formula, it will. Maybe somebody with the guide can clarify what the Dark Souls formula is for multiplayer level ranges.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Maremidon posted:

I killed the Boar already, but I can't figure out where I'm supposed to go after that.

There's a staircase downwards to the right of the ramp leading up to the gate, if that's where you're stuck.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

explosivo posted:

I'm getting continuously raped by the skeletons right outside the first area you get to after getting off the tutorial island. Is there another way I should be going or is this pretty much how the whole game's going to be? The respawning enemies makes me want to claw my eyes out.

A mace/club shatters their bones for a few seconds, letting you get some cheap shots on them while they peice themselves together.

Regarding respawns, are you talking about touching a bonfire? Because some of the skeletons further down that path DO continiously peice themselves together after dying.

You should go towards the bonfire and look around for grassy stairs going up. There will be harrowed enemies that are much easier. That path will lead you to the Undead Burg, a much better starting point.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Maremidon posted:

To the right of the Boar is a set of stairs that go down.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Multiplayer is +/-10 soul levels, so a 16 and a 20 should be able to summon each other.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Maremidon posted:

Walk toward the big door, there's stairs going down.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Oh, I tried that and I didn't really find anything. I'll look again.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

SixtySix posted:

Some of the messages left by other players are trolling. (I got one on the firebomb platform in Undead Burg that said "Try Jumping!" :haw:

LOL I saw that one as well. I also saw one that said treasure ahead, and then another one that said try jumping. I fell for that one when I first started playing the game because I thought maybe I would hit a river down below haha! :)

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Aaaand now I'm a sun knight, reppin' that gold sign. Also, my humanity is up to 11 human-form and my item discovery is 163, so that's another +4.

I really wish the gold were a bit more obvious though, it looks too much like a message. They should've used red/yellow instead of orange/gold.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Huh? There's bunches of enemies. Look out for the dead guy with the key, and the ladders.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Vanguard Warden posted:

Aaaand now I'm a sun knight, reppin' that gold sign. Also, my humanity is up to 11 human-form and my item discovery is 163, so that's another +4.

I really wish the gold were a bit more obvious though, it looks too much like a message. They should've used red/yellow instead of orange/gold.

How do you get that much humanity? Doesn't it all go away when you die?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Maremidon posted:

Oh, I tried that and I didn't really find anything. I'll look again.

The door only opens to go back, not forward, as far as I can tell. You have to go under/around it. there's a bonfire shortly after that, like 6-8 enemies in the way, keep trucking :)

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Nigulus Rex posted:

Only if you can't get your bloodstain back. He's probably helping other people beat a boss repeatedly as a phantom to gain humanity and souls. I did the same thing so I could join the Warriors of Sunlight.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Nigulus Rex posted:

If you're smart about it, touching your bloodstain will get it back.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

So I've been sitting here at work comparing dark souls to demon souls. Is it just me or does it seem like the bigger weapons in general are a whole lot riskier to use? Between more enemies actively dodging you and countering you and generally being faster it feels like quick weapons just work better.

It also seems to me like they may have made more multi-enemy encounters, at least in comparing the undead burg w/ 1-1. The enemies still start off weak, but they're almost always in groups that are harder to separate. That definitely makes it harder to use slower weapons or attacks. Is that something throughout the rest of the game from what people have seen?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

It goes into your bloodstain, like souls. I'm Good at Videogames™, so I just get them back. If things are really dicey, I just use homeward bones and rings of sacrifice. You can trade humanity consumables for rings of sacrifice too, so it's not hard to stock them.

EDIT: Does anyone know if wearing a ring of sacrifice will keep your bloodstain from disappearing when you die? It'd make retrieving a bloodstain in a hostile location easier.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 6, 2011

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

So, how do I get that giant bird to take me back to the asylum?

ANGRY TEEN
Aug 27, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So can you jump? Seems like I should be able to clear short gaps.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
gently caress i wish i was playing online. i could use the humanity :[

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
So is it better to hoard humanity as a hollow, or to try to stay human by spending it as necessary?

Do humanity benefits even apply if you aren't human?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

ANGRY TEEN posted:

Hold dash, then let go and tap the dash button again (B or circle?)

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
Also, anyone else having difficulty executing the jump attack? I can only get it to work about 50% of the time, it might just be because of the ps3's lovely "triggers" though.

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

FINALLY rang that loving bell. Took long enough.

I can't think of any recent gaming moment in the last 10 years that felt as gooooood as ringing that loving bell.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

ANGRY TEEN posted:

Hold sprint, then tap B/circle again and you will jump.

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

So, how do I get that giant bird to take me back to the asylum?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PU7J_xSr-c

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

coaxmetal posted:

Also, anyone else having difficulty executing the jump attack? I can only get it to work about 50% of the time, it might just be because of the ps3's lovely "triggers" though.

I can't jump attack or kick for poo poo.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

coaxmetal posted:

So is it better to hoard humanity as a hollow, or to try to stay human by spending it as necessary?

Do humanity benefits even apply if you aren't human?

What I do, is whenever I get a non-consumable humanity (one that automatically gets added to your count) I go to a bonfire and revive if I can.

That way I don't worry about losing it, and I get the chance of some gently caress trying to invade me. :black101:

ANGRY TEEN
Aug 27, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Thanks a bunch.

I am sitting on 2k souls and wondering if I should head back to a bonfire to level up or just keep trudging along.

I also have no clue what humanity is supposed to do. This game makes me feel like a kid again.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah, you really should use humanity when you have it. You're bound to lose it all in some horrible catastrophic death, so you might as well walk around human. It's not hard to get anyway, the loving rats drop it.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I have a +10 curved sword and Quelaag's soul. What else do I need before this can be turned into a demon weapon?

quote:

It's not hard to get anyway, the loving rats drop it.

I've been killing rats under the bridge for humanity with 300 item discovery for about 10 minutes. Nothing.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
Going to try that Capra demon now. :black101:

Wish me luck, o ye masochistic goons.

Level 18, xbox, in case anyone really wants to help me out :3:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

:stare: Holy gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Blighttown question: Is there any way to melee the giant slug-looking thing? Ran out of arrows on it and then it one-hitted me.

• Locked thread