Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Hold out my UK brothers. A matter of hours left now until we can die. Well, until YOU can die and I can nip and dodge my way around.

Reckon I'll start as a depraved, as I think there must be some benefit to being able to customise everything from the get go.

I listened to the latest Giant Bomb cast today, and it's getting pretty annoying how much they rip into Demon's / Dark Souls in a faux-professional way, because I don't want them making GBS threads on something that so wilfully pisses in the face of convention and is, in my opinion, our ticket out of cover-based, third person regenerating health interactive cinematic hand holding identikit shitarse "AAA" titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robo puppy
Oct 2, 2004
flood the metro
If anyone in the U.S. is still looking to pick up Dark Souls you should take a look at Target. I picked up a copy there because I had gift cards and came upon a free $10 gift card with purchase of either the 360/PS3 version of Dark Souls. It's worth a look if you don't care where you buy the game.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I invaded a guy on the red drake bridge thinking I'd cheese the hell out of fire breathe and kill him. But he must have killed it, he was already inside the gate under where the drake sits.

How do you get there? Did he kill it, or does opening the gate somehow make it go away?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Whoever said that Blight Town is the worst part of the game is a god drat liar. Anor Londo spoilers, the painting is a billion times worse. :mad:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

darkhand posted:

I invaded a guy on the red drake bridge thinking I'd cheese the hell out of fire breathe and kill him. But he must have killed it, he was already inside the gate under where the drake sits.

How do you get there? Did he kill it, or does opening the gate somehow make it go away?

If you can get under it and into that gate, I believe it flies away.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

darkhand posted:

You should go towards the bonfire and look around for grassy stairs going up. There will be harrowed enemies that are much easier. That path will lead you to the Undead Burg, a much better starting point.

Sweet, thank you. I went up those stairs but didn't find the sewer I had to run through and thought it was a dead end.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Gazmachine posted:

Hold out my UK brothers. A matter of hours left now until we can die. Well, until YOU can die and I can nip and dodge my way around.

Reckon I'll start as a depraved, as I think there must be some benefit to being able to customise everything from the get go.

Fair warning: Demon Souls is loving Barney's Super Fun Time Adventure compared to this game. The beginning is familiar but it ramps up really fast. That said it still follows the formula of "Tough and punishing but never unfair."

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Bobnumerotres posted:

Fair warning: Demon Souls is loving Barney's Super Fun Time Adventure compared to this game. The beginning is familiar but it ramps up really fast. That said it still follows the formula of "Tough and punishing but never unfair."

Demon's Souls: Babby's first Video Game

I don't think it's quite accurate to say NEVER unfair in this one.

Demon's I didn't feel like I got killed in a cheap way, but there's been a couple times already in this one.

Not many, mind you.

VVV I haven't done it yet, but from what I understand, if you go back across the bridge it'll eventually respawn. VVV

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Smelly posted:

If you can get under it and into that gate, I believe it flies away.

Is that past the black night? Do you lose anything from not killing the drake somehow? (I already have the drake sword)

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
God, this loving fight. You drop down, immediately lose a chunk of your health, so you have to pony up the estus flask and try to dodge attacks that affect 3/4 of the whole room. This Stray Demon is a bitch and a half.

Is there an easier way to go about this fight? :(

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Is it already in the OP that your first "big purchase" should be the repair kit for repairing stuff at bonfires from the Blacksmith (cheaper than the merchant at Undead Burg)? It really should be, along with the Blacksmith's location.

It's a lifesaver and since you spend more time spelunking in this game than in DS you will see your weapons/armor wear down a lot more.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

LorentzViolator posted:

Very odd thing: I was fighting the red caped knight on the stairs of the church leading up to the gargoyles fight when I notice I'm getting attacked by something else. I died pretty quickly and as the screen faded I see this weird sphere/crab-like thing scuttling off. Anyone else seen that!?

I know this is from a bit back (thread is moving fast) but I actually think those are the vagrants. I've seen one randomly in undead burg right near the tower with the sniper hollow just before the flaming barrel trap.
Or at least something makes little black-hued blobs the color of black phantoms from Demon souls spawn and skitter off every few runs. I've seen the crystal geckos in this game. It's definitely not one of those.

Oh also for PS3 users, has anyone else noticed white phantoms just murdering the game's frame-rate?
I was helping someone on the way to the gargoyle fight, and any time both of the white phantoms were on screen or I was moving the game slowed to a crawl. By the time we were fighting that wizard pope a black phantom invaded and the game was down to like 3 FPS.

Smelly posted:

I don't think it's quite accurate to say NEVER unfair in this one.

Demon's I didn't feel like I got killed in a cheap way, but there's been a couple times already in this one.
Yeah I like the more dynamic combat and that they gave more of the enemies tricks you have, but it's kinda BS that it gives them better control.
For example: Once you start a lunge attack/throw/most spells it's gonna target where your opponent was during your wind up, so a couple of steps to the side results in a miss. Meanwhile a thrown bomb or jump attack the AI launches will never miss because of a strafe if you stay roughly in front of the enemy.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 6, 2011

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

Speedball posted:

It's kind of funny how much this has in common with Demon's Souls. Same interface, mostly the same gameplay rules, same art style, similar "YOU ARE DEAD" message, hell, even the same voice acting.

It's like From Software is playing a game of "how close can we make this to our previous game without technically infringing on the IP that belongs to Sony?"

"Ha! You can't sue! Our title is clearly different than the last game!"

It's ALMOST like From made Demon's Souls.

Phoix posted:

Whoever said that Blight Town is the worst part of the game is a god drat liar. Anor Londo spoilers, the painting is a billion times worse. :mad:

No, it's bloody awesome. Learn to love it. Lamiae? Screw them though. At least they drop Humanity at an obscene rate.

Talran fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 6, 2011

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I keep on meaning to ask this question but I never get to the end of the thread:

I too have never seen any summon stones, and have waited around trying to be summoned. p2p stuff *almost always* requires port forwarding. What ports do I need to forward to get multiplayer working properly? I suspect this would help everyone in this thread if they knew. I would be loving surprised if I didn't need to do port forwarding to get multiplayer working.

Apart from that: should I wire my PS3 in? I remember there being some wireless slowness problem with ps3s...

ANGRY TEEN
Aug 27, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Jesus can you ill merchants/NPC's? I think I killed on in Undead Burg. :arghfist:

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Is the second bell in the catacombs? And where the hell are the sewers?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Fffffffffffucking gargoyles! 3 times I've been close to beating them, 3 times I've hosed up.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

redreader posted:

I keep on meaning to ask this question but I never get to the end of the thread:

I too have never seen any summon stones, and have waited around trying to be summoned. p2p stuff *almost always* requires port forwarding. What ports do I need to forward to get multiplayer working properly? I suspect this would help everyone in this thread if they knew. I would be loving surprised if I didn't need to do port forwarding to get multiplayer working.

Apart from that: should I wire my PS3 in? I remember there being some wireless slowness problem with ps3s...

~10 levels from the host, remember, so try to be about the level other people would be in that area. I've got nothing forwarded, and I'm wired. I think the wireless might be it. :x

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

redreader posted:

Just google search for PS3 NAT type 2. That should tell you how to open your ports.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

ANGRY TEEN posted:

Jesus can you ill merchants/NPC's? I think I killed on in Undead Burg. :arghfist:

kill? Yea you sure could in the first one.

redreader posted:

The exact steps depend on your make/model of router. The easiest thing to do is manually assign your PS3 a permanent IP and then enable DMZ for that IP. Look for those terms in your routers support websites.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 6, 2011

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

God, this loving fight. You drop down, immediately lose a chunk of your health, so you have to pony up the estus flask and try to dodge attacks that affect 3/4 of the whole room. This Stray Demon is a bitch and a half.

He was really easy for me after I learned his patterns. Only took me like three attempts.

Do the entire fight in light armor (fastest running speed) and without locking on. Wield a fast weapon with two hands, shields are useless. Spend the entire fight directly behind him. RUN to get there.

If you're in front of him, he'll swing his staff and make a fireball that hurts a large area in front of him. This should nearly never happen. If you're anywhere else, he might fly into the air and butt-stomp. He'll almost always be facing you when he lands. Run around the left side (his right) because you might get hit by his staff otherwise. If you're directly behind him, he'll bend down for a second and make a fireball that covers the area in front of him, AND a small distance behind him. You're free to swing at him while he charges up and roll away just before the explosion, but the effect lingers for a second, so don't rush back in too fast. This is his easiest attack to avoid, so you want him to do it a LOT. He seems to almost always do this attack when you're standing directly under the tip of his tail, so stay there and hack the tail. If you get too close to him he might step backwards over you while positioning, and then you're in front of him, which is bad.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Where can I get a bow and lots of arrows in Undead Burg? (for obvious reasons to anyone who is past me...) :)

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Feenix posted:

Where can I get a bow and lots of arrows in Undead Burg? (for obvious reasons to anyone who is past me...) :)

The merchant. He's hidden away near the 2 spear wielding enemies near the bonfire.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

redreader posted:

I don't have any port forwarding and it's worked for me so far but YMMV. I think part of the problem is that the stones aren't guaranteed to be in everyone's hands. It just takes someone saying "pfft whatever crazy sunman" to not get the co-op stone. Also folks need to be in humanform to summon you, and at least early on humanity's much to rare to waste on exploring a new area.

I really think there's an extra bit of the formula we don't know about who shows up/can connect to you though. Since I've been able to get summmoned with about a 50/50 chance every time I put the stone down then go farm some souls, but have never seen a mark when I've been human.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Is it worth it to upgrade my thief's starting dagger? I've really grown to like the thing and the super satisfying backstabs I've been landing. Also, the bleed effect is great once you land a few blows. I was fighting a drake and the hits were like 10 15 32 and then 400. Whoa.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Talran posted:

No, it's bloody awesome. Learn to love it. Lamiae? Screw them though. At least they drop Humanity at an obscene rate.

It's seriously the worst thing I've ever played through in a video-game. Is there any way to leave without doing whatever you have to do to beat it first? I tried going back across the bridge but it's just broken at the other end.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Feenix posted:

Shopkeep, backtrack a bit from the campfire, and look at those spear guys? Right underneath them.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Feenix posted:

You can buy a shortbow and standard arrows from the merchant past the two spear knights right at the start of the burg.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Stay behind him. Similarly to a lot of the "big dude with giant weapon" trope, its probably just better to just put on some light armor or strip entirely. Don't flask immediately, wait for him to fly in the air to do the butt stomp and you can back up and take a pull safely. When you hit the ground sprint forward and get around him and start punching him in the rear end in a top hat. When he does that explosion directly in front of him (keep an eye on him and you'll learn the tell that he's going to do it, he rears up like he's going to take a poo poo) take a few steps back and that should be one of the few attacks that you are in danger of getting hit by.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Aaargh the Taurus Demon is pissing me off. I understand you're supposed to repeatedly plunge attack him but I keep getting stuck in him and his vague hitboxes can go to hell.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Heavy neutrino posted:

Aaargh the Taurus Demon is pissing me off. I understand you're supposed to repeatedly plunge attack him but I keep getting stuck in him and his vague hitboxes can go to hell.

I found it easier to stay under him the entire time, obviously roll where needed.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Heavy neutrino posted:

Just keep trying to run between his legs. He will very rarely hit you here, and once he swings, you can hit him a few times. Just make sure you're holding the block button as he winds up, just in case he gets lucky.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
The Stray Demon is a lot easier with a certain shield you find in the Asylum as well.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.

Heavy neutrino posted:

After the plunge attack, I ran between its legs to the opposite end of the walkway, and ran through its legs again when it started its attack. You can do the plunge attack four times to kill it without being hit this way.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
My claymore can stagger the gargoyle. :aaaaa:

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Heavy neutrino posted:

My best advice would be to wait till he aims his jumping attack at you, roll out of the way, and then book it back to the ladder before he catches up.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

It seems the higher level you are you don't get humanity from rats anymore.

xfraze
Feb 19, 2011
I have a friend who is trying to kill the Four Kings. Unfortunately, he can't find a bonfire anywhere before the king. Is there a bonfire in the New Londo ruins, some place reasonably before the fight? Currently, he's having to run past blue dragons, use a curse item to kill ghosts, and then arrives at the fight with little HP and hardly any Estus.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Would you still need port forwarding for the multiplayer if are experiencing all the other passive multiplayer stuff? I just figured I haven't seen any summoning stones for some other reason. I never realized it might be a port issue if all the other multiplayer stuff was working fine.

Heavy neutrino posted:

There's so many ways to fight that boss, just try something differently. Even the generic roll away, charge attack, rinse/repeat works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I accidentally stabbed the merchant in the aqueduct. How hosed am I?

• Locked thread