Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Talran posted:

^^^^^^^^^
What weapon??

I didn't mention it because I haven't even gotten to a point where I could think about attacking, it all happens so fast. But it's an upgraded Battle Axe, I haven't gotten anything fancy. :(

e: vvv I'm at 17.6 / 49.0, so not the lowest, but I'm well below the 50% mark.

Merauder fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Maybe you're over a certain % of equipment burden and not able to run as fast?

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

Merauder posted:

I didn't mention it because I haven't even gotten to a point where I could think about attacking, it all happens so fast. But it's an upgraded Battle Axe, I haven't gotten anything fancy. :(

Upgrade the armor if you haven't yet, shield won't get you as much bang for your buck....

Other than that, armor, perhaps a longsword, something with a nice strong horizontal swing, if you can nail the two dogs with that while hitting the boss and swap your shield in it'll give you time to run off and actually fight the demon. :3:

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
I just spent 40 minutes waiting for someone to summon me to fight the Gaping Dragon, nobody did :(

Also, gently caress the New Londo Ruins, though I did give the Wolf Boss a couple tries, I think I can probably kill it with my current gear. Anyone want to guide me to that elite knight's armor that's supposedly in the forest from there? Or from the entryway into the fancy grinding spot?

Also, is there any way to kill the god drat Orochi in the lake below the forest? Approaching it head on is literally suicide, and the only other place I can see it looks too far to hit it from.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
In order to get past the Capra Demon at the start I had to run to the right (his left) as opposed to left because of that drat dog on the stairs

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Talran posted:

Upgrade the armor if you haven't yet, shield won't get you as much bang for your buck....

Other than that, armor, perhaps a longsword, something with a nice strong horizontal swing, if you can nail the two dogs with that while hitting the boss and swap your shield in it'll give you time to run off and actually fight the demon. :3:

The battle axe's r1 is a strong horizontal swing.

As far as the boss goes, surviving the initial assault and killing the dogs is honestly the hard part of that fight. Once the dogs are dead, lead him up the stairs then jump down, he week leap off after you and be stuff for a second when he his the ground. Attack him a few times then repeat.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Failboattootoot posted:

The Painting was a fun romp in the park compared to blighttown. That said your response to it has me laughing. Just wait until you get to the Tomb of the Giants. The real Dark Souls starts here.

I've already been down there. With the sorcery light spell it wasn't as bad as this place. I eventually finished the painting but jesus christ that was awful.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
Does attunement affect how many spell casts per rest you get? Or is it just how many spell slots? Basically Im wondering how I can get more than 8 fireball casts as a pyro.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Apparently Patches is in this game? Does anyone know where he is?

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

reallyprettymad posted:

Does attunement affect how many spell casts per rest you get? Or is it just how many spell slots? Basically Im wondering how I can get more than 8 fireball casts as a pyro.

Assuming Pyromancy works like Miracles, if you have extra copies of a spell you can put those in extra attunement slots. If you bought a second Fireball spell, you could slot that in your second attunement spot.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Tips for newbies like me who didn't know poo poo about Demon's Souls or Dark Souls and have spent the first 7 and a half hours of this game dying over and over again: USE A SHIELD ALL THE TIME.

Like, ALL the time.

Seriously. It saves lives. Namely your lives.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Anyone know where the elite armor in the forest is? Can you get to it from the sealed gate (The 20k soul key gate) down there? I only rang one bell so far but i really want some armor.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

Darth Windu posted:

Apparently Patches is in this game? Does anyone know where he is?

Graveyard, he does the same thing he always does.Tries to kill you :d

DeathSandwich posted:

The battle axe's r1 is a strong horizontal swing.

As far as the boss goes, surviving the initial assault and killing the dogs is honestly the hard part of that fight. Once the dogs are dead, lead him up the stairs then jump down, he week leap off after you and be stuff for a second when he his the ground. Attack him a few times then repeat.

R1 is weak attack, I mean the strong attack (R2) is horizontal. It's a strong weapon with a weak horizontal attack , sorry for the misunderstanding. D:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

reallyprettymad posted:

Kind of. You case attune a spell to more than one slot. If you have 2 arrangement slots, you can just set both to fireball. Congrats, you now have 16 fireballs.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Nigulus Rex posted:

Anyone know where the elite armor in the forest is? Can you get to it from the sealed gate (The 20k soul key gate) down there? I only rang one bell so far but i really want some armor.

Yeah, my knight armor is getting old.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anyone playing magic heavy? At first I thought pyro was pretty weak but now that I have a +7 pyro hand and some new spells I'm starting to dig it. It still seems like there's no way to go all out magic with little melee like DS.

Also a big tip for blight town: ignore your souls. Spend em before you get there and once you arrive you are on a mission and gently caress your corpse. Suicide runs for gear, suicide runs to explore the swamp, and suicide runs to kill those blow pipe guys (they don't respawn) and the place becomes much more reasonable.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe

reallyprettymad posted:

Attunement gives you more slots. You can buy multiples of the same spells at equip them to different slots. So with 2 fireballs equipped you get 16.

Also any advice on where I should go next? I've killed these 6 (in this order mind you, i'm speshul like that) Taurus/Gargoyle/hydra/Capra/Gaping Dragon/Moonlight butterfly and I have no idea where to go next.

shove me like you do fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 6, 2011

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Does anyone know where I can get some good medium armor?

I wore the Warrior's default hard leather for most of the game so far and quite liked it, but now I've found the Ringwraith cosplay armor which is way better in every way. Except it looks retarded and I don't want to wear it anymore. Unfortunately anything I've found that's even remotely comparable stat-wise is super heavy.

Also, who else has found Ash Lake? Place blew my goddamn mind. I can't believe they'd hide such a big area like that. I opened the entrance to the hollow completely by accident.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 6, 2011

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

der juicen posted:

I'm in pyro armor so I really need something.

EDIT: Is it worth waiting to kill Lautrec later for his armor? If not I'm going to do it now to take his ring.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

Kind of. You case attune a spell to more than one slot. If you have 2 arrangement slots, you can just set both to fireball. Congrats, you now have 16 fireballs.

Ok, but other than that spell cast amounts are fixed based onthespell? Like Soul Arrow will alwyas be 30 casts per rest, and fireballwill always be 8 (assuming only one slot is used)?

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

The Gaping Dragon is my bitch now.

And holy gently caress its special drop (for doing something special to it) is ridiculous

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
The Elite Knight armor is in the beginning of the garden. Surrounded by huge screw you enemies. Good luck!

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

der juicen posted:

From a few pages back

Dan Didio posted:

It's in the area where you first encounter the giant jade statue people, right before you fight the Butterfly-thing.

If I remember correctly, it's over to the left of the grassy area, on a corpse.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

How do you parry? I've just been blocking so far, but I'm realizing it'd be nice to know how going forward, but I apparently missed the tutorial message in the Asylum.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
The elite knight armor is in the forest. As soon as you enter from where the parish blacksmith is, head left, and at the first fork, stay straight. You'll eventually get to a structure of some kind with a sealed door on it. You can go around this to the right. There's a little path, off to the right there's a little alcove with an item and treant ambush, keep going past that. There's a fog door that opens to a large area with giant knight dudes in it. The elite knight armor is in this area, kind of off to the right.

If you're already a Knight, it's only marginally better than the armor you start with :/

bondster
May 6, 2007

Before I head into Blightown is there a shortcut back to the Firelink? I'm at the torch by the Gaping Dragon boss

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Professor Latency posted:

The Gaping Dragon is my bitch now.

And holy gently caress its special drop (for doing something special to it) is ridiculous

I don't know if it was a freak occurrence, or perhaps I'm truly starting to get good at From Software games, but Gaping Dragon was the first pathetically easy boss fight for me. I did die a few times going at it the wrong way, but once I started picking up on its character flaw, it was a no-brainer.

And I do believe any boss with a tail can have it severed for the same result!

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

enojy posted:

And I do believe any boss with a tail can have it severed for the same result!

Yeah, this has turned into me Attacking anything that remotely resembles a tail.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Holy gently caress the drakes :stare: Is there something you're supposed to have to fight them or do they all just take 50 hits from a +7 Scimitar?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Vargs posted:

Does anyone know where I can get some good medium armor?

I wore the Warrior's default hard leather for most of the game so far and quite liked it, but now I've found the Ringwraith cosplay armor which is way better in every way. Except it looks retarded and I don't want to wear it anymore. Unfortunately anything I've found that's even remotely comparable stat-wise is super heavy.

Personally, I really like the look of the Elite Knight Gauntlets and Leggings on the Hard Leather Armor. If you upgrade all of them and get your Endurance up to 22 or so, you can roll while still having a good protection value.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

qbert posted:

So for anyone who has the strategy guide, have you been able to successfully register it on Future Press' site yet? I've managed to enter the ISBN # fine, but now it's asking me to enter the first word on X page, and I keep getting the wrong answer. I assume the word they want is like the header word at the very top of the page, but everything I try doesn't work. All caps, no caps, it keeps saying wrong answer. What am I doing wrong here?

Just picked up the guide and it worked fine for me, I used the header word with just the first letter capitalized.

Their site may just be bogged down, the phone app is taking forever to load up.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Alectai posted:

Also, is there any way to kill the god drat Orochi in the lake below the forest? Approaching it head on is literally suicide, and the only other place I can see it looks too far to hit it from.

You pretty much have to approach it head on. You need to get out into the lake right up close in front of it so it primarily uses it's melee move. You can block the heads if you have to, but use its melee attack as a chance to attack the heads. Be careful as there is a dropoff if you get too close to it.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Hmm well I played for an hour or so and basically I really like this game. #1 improvement is being able to boot people. Every game should be improved in their sequel by having a boot move.

I really thought the first big dude was going to be a 'just try hard and see if you can win' like the first fat rear end in Demon Souls. Nope, I like how they don't even play around with that.

I haven't tried any other classes but it seems like they got the armor feeling right. The knight moves rather sluggish, rather than just everything at normal speed and just a different roll.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Captain Beans posted:

I really thought the first big dude was going to be a 'just try hard and see if you can win' like the first fat rear end in Demon Souls. Nope, I like how they don't even play around with that.

Oh, it's possible to beat him. Just unbelievably loving hard. You get a rare item off the bat if you take him down.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Alectai posted:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/10/04/dark-souls-boss-strategy-w-commentary-the-hydra?objectid=86623 This was extremely helpful for me. Not mentioned in the video is the pit around him, watch it as it's totally invisible and the biggest bullshit I've found in the game so far.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 6, 2011

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Well, that was weird. I was walking in firelink shrine where the small pool of water is, and then something started snoring and the subtitles popped up transcribing the sounds of the snoring :stare:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
So a kicked some skeletons off a cliff and while I was fighting them this purple bar came up in the middle of the screen? What does this mean?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
^^^ It's the status effect. When that bar fills up you get inflicted with bleeding, poison, plague etc.. It's absolutely wonderful to have that, would have helped immensely in world 5. :v: ^^^

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Well, that was weird. I was walking in firelink shrine where the small pool of water is, and then something started snoring and the subtitles popped up transcribing the sounds of the snoring :stare:

I've had it happen as well, I have no idea..

It also sounded like it laughed at one point. :iiam:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

So a kicked some skeletons off a cliff and while I was fighting them this purple bar came up in the middle of the screen? What does this mean?

Poison bar. Getting hit with poison attacks fills it up and when it's completely full you get poisoned. If it gets high back off and let it go down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
Been waiting for like 40 min for someone to summon to help with Anor Londo boss. Is 360 a ghostland?

• Locked thread