Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

A Lamer posted:

I'm a little disappointed in the new potions system. The interface is better, even if it removes the novelty of loving with objects within the world, but jeb removed most of the complexity from it. Potions will only ever have one effect now, negative or positive. Redstone/glowstone effects strength or duration, and fermented eye will effect a couple potions negatively.

I liked the idea of having to balance negatives with positives, as well as having multiple effects on a single potion in general.

Oh, what the gently caress? I guess they don't want to use the Elder Scrolls style alchemy system, but that one really is way better. Now there's no reason to even experiment with the potions because if you find one that is positive, there's no reason to use anything else. There's no reason to even have negative effect potions, really, because nobody will use them unless they have some balancing positive effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Vanderdeath posted:

I still say 'Ay-ther' for aether despite knowing that it's incorrect. I feels better and more mythological that way (in my opinion.)
Interestingly, that's just about the only wrong way to say it.

Long i (eye-ther): Classical latin / greek
Short e (eh-ther): Imperial & medieval latin
Long e (ee-ther): Modern english pronunciation of the æ ligature.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Devoyniche posted:

There's no reason to even have negative effect potions, really, because nobody will use them unless they have some balancing positive effect.

Or can be weaponized. :black101:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Devoyniche posted:

Oh, what the gently caress? I guess they don't want to use the Elder Scrolls style alchemy system, but that one really is way better. Now there's no reason to even experiment with the potions because if you find one that is positive, there's no reason to use anything else. There's no reason to even have negative effect potions, really, because nobody will use them unless they have some balancing positive effect.

Basically this. Also as it stands, the only way to make a good potion is with nether wart. As far as I can tell, nether wart only grows in incredibly specific places (on soul sand, in a nether fortress). And correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't even throw them, therefore no slowing down or poisoning whatever mob/prick is currently chasing you. I don't want to bitch, I just hope something's different in the next official release.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Or can be weaponized. :black101:

Imagine having a big complicated security system that tosses a vial of :catdrugs: at you if you hit the wrong switch. Note blocks start blaring, and suddenly a pack of rabid dogs are released.

Well, I don't know how you'd make wolves hostile toward a person. Maybe they'd just be friendly dogs. :)

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Devoyniche posted:

Nah, I disagree. If every cloudy potion (cloudy having been identified as "+speed") starts its life as "??? cloudy potion" and stays that way until you've tried at least one of that specific variation (after which it becomes "gritty robust cloudy potion" or whatever) there's the thrill of discovery and the risk of terribleness with every new potion you create or find. This is much more interesting and fun sounding to me than just unequivocal buff devoid of mystery drink. Hell, I like the idea of randomizing the effects and names on each world gen.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Cephalocidal posted:

Nah, I disagree. If every cloudy potion (cloudy having been identified as "+speed") starts its life as "??? cloudy potion" and stays that way until you've tried at least one of that specific variation (after which it becomes "gritty robust cloudy potion" or whatever) there's the thrill of discovery and the risk of terribleness with every new potion you create or find. This is much more interesting and fun sounding to me than just unequivocal buff devoid of mystery drink. Hell, I like the idea of randomizing the effects and names on each world gen.
I think what he means is that limiting potions to a single effect each means negative buffs are pointless since no one would ever drink them. He's arguing the old system was better, because you could have really powerful potions that also had drawbacks, like a water breathing potion that made you really hungry.
It's not about identified/non-identified, really.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

A Sassy Dog posted:

Imagine having a big complicated security system that tosses a vial of :catdrugs: at you if you hit the wrong switch. Note blocks start blaring, and suddenly a pack of rabid dogs are released.

Well, I don't know how you'd make wolves hostile toward a person. Maybe they'd just be friendly dogs. :)

A potion that drives wolves into a biting frenzy? :drugnerd:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

A Sassy Dog posted:

With a hostility potion, obviously.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

Re: potions.

Minecraft Forums posted:

[04:26] <Satharis> guess they totally nerfed potions if there's really 8700-14500 current unique potions
[04:30] <+jeb> Satharis: i removed duplicate potions and potions that can't be made in less than 6 steps

[04:31] <@Risugami> so 1.9 official will keep this overcomplex system? some of us enjoy this lol
[04:33] <@Risugami> I think most of us want an input queue with a preview, in a gui
[04:34] <+jeb> Risugami: i'm not sure... i've remade the brewing stuff with a GUI
[04:35] <+jeb> but it's still annoying since you can have many potions that look the same, but can't be stacked because of hidden auxValue differences

[05:00] <+jeb> i'm not planning to do more potion effects or types, because i want potions to have their specific range of uses
[05:01] <+jeb> i mean, i don't want to make an explosive potion, because in that case it would make more sense to simply add a hand grenade

[05:02] <Satharis> jeb if you don't mind me asking, is there any plan to umm.. weaponize potions somehow? or are the negative effects just to hurt the user in exchange for the buff?
[05:02] <Satharis> that's been kind of a point of contempt
[05:03] <+jeb> the initial idea of the negative buffs was simply to make it harder to create a "clean" potion
[05:03] <+jeb> but in the long term these potions could be used for other things

From here, the thread on the MCF that originally sleuthed out potions.

I really hope they reconsider. :(

Vib Rib posted:

If you place an enchanting table near bookshelves, you get this

There's really nothing to say yet about the enchanting system given what we've seen so far, but man notch did a REALLY good job on the visuals and animations of the enchanting table. Little details like this are really, really cool.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ZarquonHigardi posted:

Sure, min-maxers would probably still go out of their way to make a whole bunch of potions with better effects, but let them waste their time and ingredients.

The flaw with this view of things is that it isn't the min-maxers who would be wasting their time and ingredients. It would be the folks who like to find out everything about a game's system who are wasting their time/ingredients. Kingdom of Loathing called these sorts of players spades.

Now, a solution to that has been mentioned here: randomize everything, every time. This winds up with a different, but equally annoying outcome. If you'll read the link I posted, you'll find that there's many different player types. Spades love having to figure things out. The other player types don't find it fun to do it.

I don't think Notch is dumb enough to have yet another "only geniuses with too much time on their hands have use for it" mechanic in Minecraft like Redstone.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 7, 2011

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
drat it, I've been getting the urge to play multiplayer again for the first time in forever, but on all the goon servers I've looked at everyone is just so good I'm too embarrassed to build my derpy log cabins and farms. :sigh:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Villages always need their idiot.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Schwarzwald posted:

With a hostility potion, obviously.

That could be interesting. A potion that changes a mob's attitude towards a player. Doesn't even have to be specific, it could just cycle through hostile/neutral/friendly/whateverthehelliscodedinthere

Basically what I'm saying is I want an army of friendly skeletons. Is that so wrong?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Do the portals to the Sky Dimension work? I repaired one but it did nothing. Did I do it wrong?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
^^^^
Getting the portal to actualy open isn't in the game yet, its the "epic thing" Notch and Jeb have been working on for the past day or so, not finished, but getting there.

Zoe posted:

drat it, I've been getting the urge to play multiplayer again for the first time in forever, but on all the goon servers I've looked at everyone is just so good I'm too embarrassed to build my derpy log cabins and farms. :sigh:

No ones going to bitch about your derpy looking log cabins (at least where I play at on WilsonSMP), how the hell are you going to get better with architecture without building with others and asking how they think you can improve? There are a lot of goon servers in the PGS subforums that would welcome you. :)

Enzer fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 7, 2011

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Zoe posted:

You should come play on KeepCraft! You can still build your derpy cabins and stuff, but there's also a fear that the opposing red or blue menace will come for you! That's why you need to work with your teammates to fight, defend and loot the opponents!

Red, my team, just suffered a terrible thievery by blue team, due to a breach in our defenses, nearly everything in our base was stolen. It sucks, but we will recover! I guess it's retaliation for doing the exact same thing to blue last night, haha.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Zoe posted:

You should play on goonimati! You can build anything you want anywhere you want and all other players will provide you instant feedback on your buildings with tnt and/or lava. Often while you're in the middle of building it!

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Oh god, run Zoe, run and never stop running! The various servers have got your scent!

ZarquonHigardi
Mar 27, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

The flaw with this view of things is that it isn't the min-maxers who would be wasting their time and ingredients. It would be the folks who like to find out everything about a game's system who are wasting their time/ingredients. Kingdom of Loathing called these sorts of players spades.

Now, a solution to that has been mentioned here: randomize everything, every time. This winds up with a different, but equally annoying outcome. If you'll read the link I posted, you'll find that there's many different player types. Spades love having to figure things out. The other player types don't find it fun to do it.

I don't think Notch is dumb enough to have yet another "only geniuses with too much time on their hands have use for it" mechanic in Minecraft like Redstone.

The big difference here is that redstone is not only obtuse, it is just loving wonky and inconsistent with how it connects/powers poo poo. Explaining how to make a potion is so much easier than explaining how to make some random logic gate out of redstone.

Yeah, the spade types will be the ones that find the recipes, but again, I don't think most people are going to go out of their way to make a bunch of potions of Instant Health III that require a ton of expensive, hard to get ingredients when they could make a single batch of Instant Health I potions that can be easily re-created by simply adding more water.

The min-max'ers (diamonds, if you must) on the other hand... they will be the ones that waste their time getting all the wonky ingredients to make a huge stock of those uber Instant Health III potions. Just like diamonds in Kingdom of Loathing do crazy poo poo like V-Crisis or pulling rare, expensive consumables to gain the smallest of advantages.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Zoe posted:

Play on reticulated splines. We have a small user base and everything is legit with no mods so the most we can possibly make are humble things.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
drat, I just realized why I'm getting so much graphical corruption and game-crashing lately.

I only have two gig of memory and Minecraft is running out of memory on me. I don't think I can go back to the original textures...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What tools are out there to help plan your houses? Does anyone have tips for making a nice looking house, as well? I've heard something about making sure it's 3D, and using various materials, or something. Is there a guide out there?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Pollyanna posted:

What tools are out there to help plan your houses? Does anyone have tips for making a nice looking house, as well? I've heard something about making sure it's 3D, and using various materials, or something. Is there a guide out there?

Minecraft? It's not like you can't just take it back apart if you gently caress something up.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
Build a "frame" before going through the effort of filling in the walls. It will save time and help you decide if a room needs to be larger/smaller, or if the walls should be an even or odd number of blocks in length.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Man, if nothing else, the new enchantment table is going to make a great decoration for my churches.

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.

Pollyanna posted:

Definitely vary your building materials but don't use too many elements in any one piece. Three is a good number to work with in terms of types of building materials, but you can be flexible. Before I start building up with a house, I generally lay out the foundation in dirt and tinker from there before replacing it with whatever material I'm going to be using. Keep in mind how different pieces look together. Patterned wool for rugs is pretty nifty as is changing up the floor. All wood floors in a full wooden house can look a little boring. I love aesthetics in my minecraft. :3: I don't do poo poo with redstone but just give me some blocks to play with and I'm happy.

Planks, Regular Logs, Pine Logs, and Wool (with slab flooring inside):

Cracked/Regular/Mossy Stone Bricks, Slabs, Iron Bars, and wood fence:

I have an obsession with using hidden lighting as much as possible because I hate just covering things in torches. The chandeliers themselves are just there for decoration and to provide just enough light to stop mobs from spawning. The majority of the lighting comes from lava channels beyond the bars on the walls:

I also hide glowstone under water and inside of trees to keep things lit around our town. You can see how it really makes the area light up in this picture of our town:

Orv
May 4, 2011
That underground corridor with the lava lightwalls is cool, very nice. Stealing that so hard.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I generally use glowstone as lightbulbs. It helps that most texture packs don't have them looking anything like the default gawdawful ugly.

One of the things about the new portal blocks in 1.9 that has me excited is that they glow like glowstone - finally, another light block! I hope we can construct them or harvest them en masse.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

MikeJF posted:

I generally use glowstone as lightbulbs. It helps that most texture packs don't have them looking anything like the default gawdawful ugly.

One of the things about the new portal blocks in 1.9 that has me excited is that they glow like glowstone - finally, another light block! I hope we can construct them or harvest them en masse.

It'd be interesting if you could find it "supporting" the islands in the sky dimension. Much like obsidian was supposed to act from the very start.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Well then. Notch is adding dragons.

http://i.imgur.com/xj6us.jpg

And aperently the new dimension will be... a lot darker than I'd imagine an Aether to be... and it happens to be the land of Endermen.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eiba posted:

Well then. Notch is adding dragons.

http://i.imgur.com/xj6us.jpg

And aperently the new dimension will be... a lot darker than I'd imagine an Aether to be... and it happens to be the land of Endermen.

Has notch actually confirmed this is what's become of the Sky Dimension? Or might it be a separate Night Dimension?

canyon.mid
Apr 19, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Has notch actually confirmed this is what's become of the Sky Dimension? Or might it be a separate Night Dimension?

If the 'Aether' is something else, then what the hell is this? The Nyx?

'Night Dimension' doesn't even make any sense :psyduck:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Notch previously said something about how you would enter the Aether when sleeping. Maybe the stronghold crystal portals really are for something different.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Endermen actually make a lot of sense in a floating sky dimension, what better way to travel between chunks of floating land than with teleportation? I'm also think the skybox is just something temporary he threw up there while working on the Enderdragon.

Honestly though, I like this direction for the "sky dimension", with the release and fanbase of the Aether Mod, there is not much Notch would be able to do that would either make fans: 1) Bitch that the Aether Mod did it better, 2) Bitch that Notch is ripping off the Aether Mod, 3) Bitch that Notch should just implement the Aether Mod or 4) All of the above.

The whole idea of calling it a sky dimension I don't even think came from Notch, but rather the fan base when Notch showed off a picture of terrain generation using old assets. Since we saw floating dirt and stone islands with the regular skybox, which looked a hell of a lot like the highly anticipated and yet to be released Aether mod, people assumed it was an air dimension.

Also, the name for Endermen and The Ender (which is apparently the adopted name for the zone) is making a lot of sense. It is the End, or End game for Minecraft Survival, the final goal and challenge for the player. Think about it, Endermen have just gotten a huge boost in their behavior, health and attack strength, but there are not many in the overworld, but in the Ender there are a ton of them, now we see the first of Minecraft's "mega" or boss mobs being added to this area as well, it is an alien and hostile zone.

Hell, even repairing the gates to this is even a bit of a challenge, a grand adventure in itself. You have to gather resources to venture into the Nether to fight Blazes for blaze rods to make blaze powder, you then need to hunt and kill Endermen in the overworld for Ender Pearls in order to make the Ender Eye item, and you need several of these. Next you have to find a stronghold, conquer it (and remember, those are not even done yet, Jeb has said they will have objectives and bosses) and find a broken gate within, you then have to use the Ender Eyes to repair the gate.

I'm incredibly excited.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Enzer posted:

Also, the name for Endermen and The Ender (which is apparently the adopted name for the zone) is making a lot of sense. It is the End, or End game for Minecraft Survival, the final goal and challenge for the player.

Endermen comes from Slenderman, so it would be... the Slend game? :crossarms:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Enzer posted:

Hell, even repairing the gates to this is even a bit of a challenge, a grand adventure in itself. You have to gather resources to venture into the Nether to fight Blazes for blaze rods to make blaze powder, you then need to hunt and kill Endermen in the overworld for Ender Pearls in order to make the Ender Eye item, and you need several of these. Next you have to find a stronghold, conquer it (and remember, those are not even done yet, Jeb has said they will have objectives and bosses) and find a broken gate within, you then have to use the Ender Eyes to repair the gate.

I'm incredibly excited.
It all does sound pretty awesome. I think with this screenshot and the last few items we for the first time have a picture of what the Adventure will actually consist of in the Adventure update.

My biggest concern, though, is how much aimless wandering and tedious exploration it will require. The only time I've found Nether ruins is flying around in creative mode... for half an hour. I've never found a stronghold naturally (even in creative mode), and after cheating to find one or two, I'm positive I never would have.

At the very least, if strongholds are vital for actually playing the game part of Minecraft there really needs to be some sort of dowsing rod/compass to find them.

I like that Notch is busy tweeting about how excited he is with his dragon, and everyone else seems, quite rightly, to be a lot more interested in the Enderlands.

(Enderlands sounds better than The Ender... which is silly.)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

That dragon looks really ugly....

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Am I the only one who sees "Eye of The Ender" and thinks of some sort of lovecraftian god of endermen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Eiba posted:

My biggest concern, though, is how much aimless wandering and tedious exploration it will require. The only time I've found Nether ruins is flying around in creative mode... for half an hour. I've never found a stronghold naturally (even in creative mode), and after cheating to find one or two, I'm positive I never would have.

At the very least, if strongholds are vital for actually playing the game part of Minecraft there really needs to be some sort of dowsing rod/compass to find them.

Maybe if when you built a portal at a Nether ruins, it would link to near a stronghold in the real world?