Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
There's probably literally a 100:1 ratio of dead:alive players, so if you drop a sign, I guess it really isn't very likely you'd be summoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Does anyone know why I can't apply gold pine resin to my drake sword? Every time I go to use it, it won't let me.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I see signs very often near bosses and usually my sign gets summoned very quickly. I am still in the 20'ish soul level range, so I'd guess some people are just way ahead of the curve at this point.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Invite me if you're near level 60 Rascyc I'm incredible.
Haha, apparently the trick is to summon people with Japanese sounding handles. Got one dude who somehow 3-shot the boss I was having trouble with. Not sure how I feel about it but I didn't want to lose the souls and humanity that I was leaving behind on that boss.

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007
Co-oping is easy if you're willing to be the human. I know that's not what people are complaining about but I'm stating it more as a fact that there's a lot of people taking advantage of the online component... just not ones willing to use their humanity.

I have a feeling once someone figures out the end-all trick to farming humanity and it gets popular, people will be more willing to unhollow and man poo poo up. I didn't even have a PS3 when Demon's Souls was released so I don't know if it's similar, but I would assume that it's like people are saying, that most players want to stay hollow for most the part early on.

Not to mention with the game being a little less straightforward for zones, people who are outside your level range might be the higher population of people in the zones you're trying to help people in.

quote:

Does anyone know why I can't apply gold pine resin to my drake sword? Every time I go to use it, it won't let me.

I don't have that sword, does it have a magic/fire/lightning/divine damage on it by default? Looks like you still can't temporarily enchant weapons that are already buffed with elemental damage.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Guliani is HOT posted:

Also, is the Drake Sword worth upgrading? Has anyone found a better weapon so far?

I went ahead and upgraded it and I am wrecking most enemies very deep into the game. It's at +2 at the moment and is my hardest hitting weapon. I haven't even really touched strength and dexterity much either, I'm just pumping vitality and stamina and beating the hell out of everything.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I definitely agree with getting that hollow soldier shield to +5. The decreased stamina hit from blocking helps considerably. I am sure there are better shields, but the hollow soldier shield seemed to be a pretty good all rounder compared to a lot of the other shields I've found up to this point.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Filthy Monkey posted:

I definitely agree with getting that hollow soldier shield to +5. The decreased stamina hit from blocking helps considerably. I am sure there are better shields, but the hollow soldier shield seemed to be a pretty good all rounder compared to a lot of the other shields I've found up to this point.

Yeah, it's a surprisingly good shield considering it's a relatively common drop. I've just been using it for 90 percent of the game. My stamina's already pretty high, so putting the hollow shield to +5 will make you pretty much unstoppable.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Does anyone have any tips for the Tomb of Giants? this is the first place I really feel like I'm making zero progress in. Those giant skeletons in the dark area seem almost impossible to beat.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Whatever. gently caress the dildo knight. I am going to Unhollow and summon some people to help me do the Parish. Goons, come to the start of the parish area/under the dragon bridge!

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Nigulus Rex posted:

It can't be modified by spells/items. So if you have the Magic Sword sorcery, that won't work either.

MrSmokes posted:

I went ahead and upgraded it and I am wrecking most enemies very deep into the game. It's at +2 at the moment and is my hardest hitting weapon. I haven't even really touched strength and dexterity much either, I'm just pumping vitality and stamina and beating the hell out of everything.

Well good, because it doesn't scale with strength/dexterity. Though, this will bite you later when you DO want a good end-game sword.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Does dropping your white symbol as a zombie actually do anything? My understanding is multiplayer is pretty much barred from zombies.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Whoa has this been posted yet?

Namco Bandi posted:

Due to several contacts we've received from users confused as to how the summoning feature works in game, we have provided this list to help.

Conditions for summoning (White Sign Soapstone):

The host (person who's game world will be used) must be human. The client (person joining the game) can either be human or undead.

The client’s level must fall within 10% (above or below) of the host’s level. Generally, this example formula should give you a good idea on whether you will be able to join: (LC x 1.1) ≥ LH ≥ (LC x 0.9), where is LC the level of the client and LH is the level of the host. For example, if the level of the host is 20, then they will only be able to summon players who are levels 18 to 22.

The area boss (Taurus Demon, Bell Gargoyles, Moonlight Butterfly, etc…) in the host’s world must still be alive. A client can still be summoned even if the client has already defeated their own area boss.

The host must not have placed down a summoning sign. Summoning signs from other players will not appear in a host’s world if the host also has placed a summoning sign down. This is to prevent a network conflict of the host joining someone else's game world while the clients are trying to join the host's game world.

After successfully summoning, the client will return to their world if the area boss is defeated, the client is killed or the host is killed.

Also, please note that there are several different servers/lobbies that are being used for Dark Souls, so you may not be able to summon a specific friend into your game even if you adhere to the steps above. We can only recommend that you follow the steps above for the best chance at being able to join a specific friends' game.

Emphasis mine. Even the guide says its 10+/- levels, this is the first I've heard of 10%. That makes the window of opportunity a hell of a lot smaller, especially in the early game. Seems like if you're having trouble finding someone to summon/be summoned you're probably in an underpopulated lobby.

Sorry if this is a re-post, I haven't read the whole thread.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Volitaire posted:

Whoa has this been posted yet?

Emphasis mine. Even the guide says its 10+/- levels, this is the first I've heard of 10%. That makes the window of opportunity a hell of a lot smaller, especially in the early game. Seems like if you're having trouble finding someone to summon/be summoned you're probably in an underpopulated lobby.

Sorry if this is a re-post, I haven't read the whole thread.

I think that is how it worked for demon souls too.

Is there any way to vote players as good or lovely like in demon souls?

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
I just helped two people beat Capra Demon and got two thank you messages. :3:

I'll happily help anyone destroy that fucker.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone know any places to farm lots of souls quickly?

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!

Pandanaut posted:

Yea finally managed to beat that thing solo. Anyone who helps out on that thing deserves all the thank yous that can be sent.

rizuhbull posted:

Anyone know any places to farm lots of souls quickly?

I've been doing a run of the undead parish where the channeler is and it nets me close to 1k souls a run, but is a little bit time consuming due to the knights being jumpy..

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Captain Beans posted:

In Demons Souls it was +-(10 + 10% of your SL).

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Captain Beans posted:

It definitely is not. The level range requirements relaxed the higher your level, but the minimum was always 10.

No there doesn't seem to be a rating system anymore. Best you can do is report invaders with indictments.

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007

Pandanaut posted:

Oh good. I sent out a thank you to a dude earlier who helped me on a different boss and afterwards I felt kinda dumb, nice to see other people are sending out thanks too.

Though the dude responded by asking where I lived.

Guess I should stop playing female characters.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Sarcophallus posted:

It can't be modified by spells/items. So if you have the Magic Sword sorcery, that won't work either.

Well good, because it doesn't scale with strength/dexterity. Though, this will bite you later when you DO want a good end-game sword.

The drake sword doesn't scale with strength? :( I've been pumping strength while using it.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Blarfo posted:

Oh good. I sent out a thank you to a dude earlier who helped me on a different boss and afterwards I felt kinda dumb, nice to see other people are sending out thanks too.

Dark Souls: It's like craigslist; but with more deaths

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Still haven't been invaded yet but I got cursed finally! My Xbox nearly had a fit when all that smoke clogged up the screen.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Blarfo posted:

It made me quite happy to help and I'll likely throw my stone down there some more tomorrow. The fact that people are appreciative makes things even better because I know just how frustrating that particular guy can be.

One of the guys I helped had like 7K souls and 7 humanity saved up. :v:

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

!amicable posted:

Whatever. gently caress the dildo knight. I am going to Unhollow and summon some people to help me do the Parish. Goons, come to the start of the parish area/under the dragon bridge!
Are you talking about the big shield knight with sword inside the church dealie that's up the large steps?

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

gibbed posted:

Are you talking about the big shield knight with sword inside the church dealie that's up the large steps?

Nope, those are pretty easy to kill. I mean the one with the club/sword at the bottom of the tower where you fight the Taurus demon.

Dildo Knight.

Also just died to one of the fencing knights (the fist one) and now I can't get back my 5k souls and humanity.

Fuuuuuuu-

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I managed to lock myself out of all the master sorceries, apparently. Don't talk to the guy with the big hat unless you have a catalyst on you. :toot:

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

!amicable posted:

Nope, those are pretty easy to kill. I mean the one with the club/sword at the bottom of the tower where you fight the Taurus demon.
Ahhh, I didn't go down there yet, guess I should go check it out.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

gibbed posted:

Once you see him, you'll know. Well, if you get a good look because it's going to be a quick one!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Man, I got summoned to fight Quelaag. Some NPC phantom was also there, and we got it down to a sliver of health. Then my summoner runs out of soul arrows, runs up next to her, eats its AoE and dies in 1 hit :suicide:

I just want some humanity so I can kindle my fire!

Also, there seriously needs to be a sound effect when you get summoned.

e: I keep seeing ghosts run through the white light. Summon me dammit!

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 7, 2011

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Nigulus Rex posted:

The drake sword doesn't scale with strength? :( I've been pumping strength while using it.

When you're looking at weapons, hit Square(PS3) to get the additional information, to the right of the damage it does, you'll see a "+#", which tells you how much damage is currently being added from your stats. Below that, under ParamBonus, it tells you how well the item scales with your attributes, using Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, and Faith respectively.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
That one-legged, vagina-mouthed demon that's right out the doorway in the area of the blacksmith in Undead Parish.

Anything special about him? I know other things have deals where you can get an item if you attack the tail. He's just so easy to plink away at with arrows, but only the front, so I'm wondering if I try to get in close where he's actually hard to fight will I get a special item from cutting off his tail.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
So just read about the whole pyromancy not being affected by INT thing... And well... luckly for me I had not started building up my int yet. Do you guys have any suggestions about what might be good to build up to go along with a pryo build? I am planning on throwing a lot of fire, and up until not have just been buffing up endurance and vitality. Should I just make my character main some other stat like strength or dex?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Not that I know of. He's just a miniboss guarding an area Bouvenstein.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So, if anyone's looking to spoil the bosses for themselves:
http://www.gamesradar.com/dark-souls-boss-guide/?page=1

Page 2 and on are videos of every (major) boss in the game in alphabetical order. They also help a lot in terms of general strategy for bosses.

Also guys, I'm stuck in the Darkroot forest. I beat the giant hydra and the area past it is impossible, the tree people are annoying but the "bandits" and ghosts are loving tough and attack you in packs.

My friends tell me the area is later-game but it's either this or Blighttown. Should I backtrack?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I'm still at the Undead Burg at that little catwalk where guys throw firebombs at you. I keep trying to get through (I need a jabby weapon and not a swingy weapon like the sword I have now), but keep dying. :(

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
So, I, uh, can't seem to fire my crossbow. The right ammo is loaded (I bought all just in case), but my guy just stands there.

I swear only 81% stupid.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Any advice for Havel? I can't seem to dodge his 1hit KO. Should I just strip down to my unskin? Also is the parish bridge a faster campfire to gy zerg him? I'm sick of running through main uberg.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

DrBouvenstein posted:

That one-legged, vagina-mouthed demon that's right out the doorway in the area of the blacksmith in Undead Parish.

Anything special about him? I know other things have deals where you can get an item if you attack the tail. He's just so easy to plink away at with arrows, but only the front, so I'm wondering if I try to get in close where he's actually hard to fight will I get a special item from cutting off his tail.

I killed that guy and didn't get anything from his tail. The safest place to try to hit him with a sword was back there anyway, so I figure if you could chop it off I would have. I could be wrong though.

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Man, I got summoned to fight Quelaag. Some NPC phantom was also there, and we got it down to a sliver of health. Then my summoner runs out of soul arrows, runs up next to her, eats its AoE and dies in 1 hit :suicide:

I just want some humanity so I can kindle my fire!

Also, there seriously needs to be a sound effect when you get summoned.

e: I keep seeing ghosts run through the white light. Summon me dammit!

Just in case you/anyone was wondering about that NPC phantom:

If you walk from the nearby bonfire to the Quelaag witch while in human form, you'll get intercepted by an NPC "invasion" (comes with invasion alert and everything, which I've seen happen one other time in the depths) who will immediately attack you. If you beat her dark phantom form, when you end get to the fog gate for Quelaag, there will be a white summon marker like a regular player's but it will be hers, and you can summon her just like another player.

I recommend doing this for anyone having trouble with the fight. She has retarded vitality and will be like a tank for the fight while you whack some witchbutt. Literally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Capsaicin posted:

I'm still at the Undead Burg at that little catwalk where guys throw firebombs at you. I keep trying to get through (I need a jabby weapon and not a swingy weapon like the sword I have now), but keep dying. :(

Where at the far end there is a room full of bad dudes? Either try and pull some out or just dash in and kill them all. Don't stay out on that walkway and get pelted. If you move around enough the fire chuckers will miss you though, just any constant direction will do.

• Locked thread