Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Jimbot posted:

Awesome. That armor reminds me of the Dull Gold armor from Demon's Souls and that stuff was my absolute favorite for my female character.

I'm a derp and mis-interpreted your question. Wrong firekeeper.

However, that firekeeper's armor is also obtainable, but it's much more secret. You get it after fighting Dark Moon Gwyndolin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

andrew smash posted:

Haha, amazon just gave me a 20$ credit code to apologize for not being able to ship me the collector's edition... which i never ordered.

I'm still waiting for the guide to ship, I see its available from Gamestop, but I'm ok with waiting. Kinda wish I left the game in my order queue if knew they'd sling a code at me later on.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Uh, aside from being able to kindle bonfires, what exactly is the benefit of being human? Do you not get the benefits of humanity stockpiles while hollowed? Having a lower drop rate really doesn't seem that bad, especially compared to losing half your life bar. Guess I'm having trouble justifying spending the humanity to stay human more often than not when it's so easy to lose.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Uh, aside from being able to kindle bonfires, what exactly is the benefit of being human? Do you not get the benefits of humanity stockpiles while hollowed? Having a lower drop rate really doesn't seem that bad, especially compared to losing half your life bar. Guess I'm having trouble justifying spending the humanity to stay human more often than not when it's so easy to lose.

Higher item find and curse resistance. Can this question go in the OP?

Also you can only summon phantoms or invade while human.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Being human lets you summon white phantoms and be invaded by black phantoms, higher humanity increases your Curse resistance, and Chaos weapons scale off of humanity.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
Ok the only thing I can complain about this game (game of the year all years) is that ring that makes you invisible and immune to lock-ons. Holy hell is that thing imbalanced if you don't have it.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Anyone know what I need to take to +10 to use Crossbreed Priscilla's soul?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

I'm pretty sure my life bar looks the same when I'm human and when I'm not.

Also, you can't summon phantoms while Hollowed.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kweh posted:

Ok the only thing I can complain about this game (game of the year all years) is that ring that makes you invisible and immune to lock-ons. Holy hell is that thing imbalanced if you don't have it.

Only works in that one area of the game IIRC

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
So looking through the guide I can't find any reference to a Magic Ember, only the Large Magic Ember. Does that mean that there's a blacksmith that can do up to +5 magic as standard, or do I need to go all the way to the Duke's Archives to be able to do magic upgrades at all?

Because that would suck many dicks.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
PROTIP: If there is a bloodstain in front of a chest, do not mash X and then watch a ghost get devoured by a mimic while you also get devoured by a mimic

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan

DeathSandwich posted:

That was always the point. Similar to Demon's souls, they wanted to keep an air of solitude and desperation. You are the one normal and sane dude in a world full of crazies and if you find someone willing to help you it's only temporary and victory is always fleeting and very very temporary.

What I'm trying to say is that if it had game lobbies and permanent coop it would really draw away from the desperate atmosphere of the game, which I feel would hurt the series as a whole. Sure they could enable mic support and give you a good way to get friends into your game, but then the dread that comes from exploring a new area is gone because you know you have your buddy to back you up in case you get surrounded or something.

Don't give me that load of rhetoric. Demon's Souls had perfectly fine co-op if you just placed your sign somewhere for your friend. It was shaky to find sometimes but you could find them. In this game, the peer to peer system is tacked on almost to keep from having the expense of a dedicated server and is fairly hit or miss.

I appreciate the game's atmosphere just the same, but if my friend and I are the same SL and want to co-op, we shouldn't have to be messed up by an invisible server/lobby system in place with bad matchmaking.

e: and for the record, they actually DO use lobbies for groups of players.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Garin posted:

Don't give me that load of rhetoric. Demon's Souls had perfectly fine co-op if you just placed your sign somewhere for your friend. It was shaky to find sometimes but you could find them. In this game, the peer to peer system is tacked on almost to keep from having the expense of a dedicated server and is fairly hit or miss.

I appreciate the game's atmosphere just the same, but if my friend and I are the same SL and want to co-op, we shouldn't have to be messed up by an invisible server/lobby system in place with bad matchmaking.

e: and for the record, they actually DO use lobbies for groups of players.

I'm pretty sure it's intentional there's no easy way for you to play with your friends.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Haha what, this spear I made with a demon's soul does ONLY magic damage? And a pathetic amount? Gaagagfkjflsfd

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
So just curious. I murdered the first merchant that sold arrows (why not, right?) and now cannot find any way to obtain arrows to cut off the tail of the dragon. Note that I dont really need the sword, just feel like cutting off a dragons tail with arrows. Any tips?

Also what's the general opinion about the armor bought in the depths before the vagina dragon? Helm of Wise, Armor of Glorious, Gaulents of Vanquisher, Boots of Explorer? Currently using black leather set + boar helmet.

Lastly I just got dragon kings great axe from the gaping dragon, should I bother buffing my stats to ever use this thing or would that be a waste of time?

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I'm pretty sure it's intentional there's no easy way for you to play with your friends.

Except two people here in our group can connect to each other just fine and play regularly while I get matched with Japanese people. I like the game and all, but the multiplayer needs some work.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Curse-frogs really aren't that bad. I just phantomed for the gargoyles a bunch and cleared the place out with 10+ humanity in my pocket. I was strolling through cursed frog-gas like it was nothing.

Also the last guy I phantomed gaping dragon with sent me a voice message telling me I'm awesome. Neat.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

What is this boss-looking thing below the first Blacksmith? I keep trying to get a closer look but then turn coward and run away the second he starts shooting lightning at me.

Edit: Am I wasting my time farming souls to upgrade my weapons and armor here? I get the feeling that the second I get everything to +5 I'm going to find something a lot better that would make all this effort wasted.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean it's not done!?

Phoix posted:

Anyone know what I need to take to +10 to use Crossbreed Priscilla's soul?

Halberd or whip should do the trick

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

ArchRanger posted:

What is this boss-looking thing below the first Blacksmith? I keep trying to get a closer look but then turn coward and run away the second he starts shooting lightning at me.

Titanite Demon. They're not that tough.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Vanguard Warden posted:

Curse-frogs really aren't that bad. I just phantomed for the gargoyles a bunch and cleared the place out with 10+ humanity in my pocket. I was strolling through cursed frog-gas like it was nothing.

There's not a single part of the sentence that doesn't make me jealous/angry you didn't share my pain. :argh:. Got cursed twice and had to grind 6000 souls for purging stones, and it takes me like 10 minutes to get summoned for a boss fight.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

ArchRanger posted:

He's not really that important, and fairly easily passable if you sprint on by. He isn't that tough anyway.

Also, FINALLY out of freaking Blighttown. Never going back, even if there's some awesome loot.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Cake Attack posted:

There's not a single part of the sentence that doesn't make me jealous/angry you didn't share my pain. :argh:. Got cursed twice and had to grind 6000 souls for purging stones, and it takes me like 10 minutes to get summoned for a boss fight.

I'm fully prepared for this... I think. I just bought 5 curse cures from the dude in the church before hitting the depths. Hopefully I don't get cursed more than 5 times :shepface:

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
I started a Thief with the Old Witch's Ring. How terrible of an idea was this? Is the ring cursed? Because I think the ring is cursed. I think this through the myriad of things I yell at my television.

EDIT: should I not just be off wandering and being one-shot by fat men in armor, because that is what I am doing. The guy at the beginning said things about "up" and "way way down" and I was kind of going up and then a man hit me with fire and the ground said "Look out for the Hollowed" and my brain done broke.

Save Russian Jews fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 7, 2011

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Cake Attack posted:

and it takes me like 10 minutes to get summoned for a boss fight.

Yep. Fuckin sucks,

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Argh, at the top of Sen's Fortress. Clear out that stinking giant at the top or else he'll throw those exploding boulders at you during your fight with the Iron Golem. I nearly died as a phantom because someone did not do that. Thankfully my Chaos Fireballs takes 1/5 of its health off and it died before my allies did.

Save Russian Jews posted:

I started a Thief with the Old Witch's Ring. How terrible of an idea was this? Is the ring cursed? Because I think the ring is cursed. I think this through the myriad of things I yell at my television.

EDIT: should I not just be off wandering and being one-shot by fat men in armor, because that is what I am doing.

It's because you chose a Thief and chose the gift that gets you in a covenant that mainly benefits magic-users.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Spoilers after killing Capra Demon

I just killed the capra demon and returned via the ladder instead of the shortcut just to see if the Sun Knight would have anything new to say. As soon as I got up there the red dragon died for no reason and I got 10000 souls. What the heck happened? I activated the bonfire and the shortcut to parish while I had the chance (who knows if hes coming back) but do i have the possibility to sequence break now?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Crowbear posted:

I'm fully prepared for this... I think. I just bought 5 curse cures from the dude in the church before hitting the depths. Hopefully I don't get cursed more than 5 times :shepface:

Honestly enemies in the depths are pretty weak. After the second time I just said gently caress it and explored the place while cursed, then just ran to the boss door from the bonfire after healing myself.

Meme Emulator posted:

I just killed the capra demon and returned via the ladder instead of the shortcut just to see if the Sun Knight would have anything new to say. As soon as I got up there the red dragon died for no reason and I got 10000 souls. What the heck happened? I activated the bonfire and the shortcut to parish while I had the chance (who knows if hes coming back) but do i have the possibility to sequence break now?

Probably not, plenty of people of killed the red dragon solely through persistence and a lot of arrows, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't sequence break.

WS6 97
Jul 10, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

der juicen posted:

Yep. Fuckin sucks,

If anyone wants to me summoned near the dildo knight let me know, I could use some help.

Edit: I'm level 26.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

WS6 97 posted:

If anyone wants to me summoned near the dildo knight let me know, I could use some help.

Is he the one below taurus

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Meme Emulator posted:

He doesn't really do anything except guard the items on the other end. It doesn't break anything unless you haven't gotten the Drake Sword yet, in which case you can't get it now.

WS6 97
Jul 10, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

der juicen posted:

Is he the one below taurus

Yup, and he's been kicking my rear end for the past hour.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
What's everyone's gear like, preferably around the level 20 mark? I have a suit of knight armor +2, a halberd +5, tower shield +2, and a morning star +3. Should this be okay for a while?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Cake Attack posted:

it takes me like 10 minutes to get summoned for a boss fight.

My wait might be shorter because I've got that gold sign. :smug:

Seriously though, I spend a lot of time waiting too. I either grind local mobs while I wait, or just browse the forums/do other poo poo while I wait for a message to pop up on my screen.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

What's everyone's gear like, preferably around the level 20 mark?

I'm SL 25, and I'm using a Claymore +5, Dark Knight Shield +4, and unupgraded elite knight armor. After I'm done raking in souls from phantom-ing i'll probably buy a bunch of rocks and get to work on that armor.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone else in the Chaos Servants covenant? If so, check out the number one contributor. Can anyone else tell me what's up with that character? Level 2 and contributing that much humanity with that many souls? Either this is the most hardcore power gamer in the world or someone's cheating.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Anyone else in the Chaos Servants covenant? If so, check out the number one contributor. Can anyone else tell me what's up with that character? Level 2 and contributing that much humanity with that many souls? Either this is the most hardcore power game in the world or someone's cheating.

He could just not be leveling up.

Or cheating.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

He could just not be leveling up.

Or cheating.

Or Japanese, the game's been out there a good while.

Loofa08
Apr 17, 2008
I've been working my way through Sen's Fortress....and...gently caress....THIS....GAME.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Vanguard Warden posted:

My wait might be shorter because I've got that gold sign. :smug:

Seriously though, I spend a lot of time waiting too. I either grind local mobs while I wait, or just browse the forums/do other poo poo while I wait for a message to pop up on my screen.

I feel dumb, what's the gold sign?

I pretty much do the same while waiting to be summoned but it's still kind of annoying. I'm hoping it'll pick up because I'm waiting around how long I had to wait in Demon's Souls less than a year ago.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

What's everyone's gear like, preferably around the level 20 mark? I have a suit of knight armor +2, a halberd +5, tower shield +2, and a morning star +3. Should this be okay for a while?

I just figured out you can buy titanite because I'm dumb, so all I have is a Halberd +4, Black Demon Sword +2 (I think that's the name), and a Hollowed Shield +2. I'm at around 30, so you should be fine. I also have the Elite Knight armor, except for my leather gloves to stay under 50% equip, all un-upgraded.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

WS6 97 posted:

Yup, and he's been kicking my rear end for the past hour.

I'll try tmw if you're still up for it. And on 360.

• Locked thread