Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
I think this game is actually instilling a good work ethic in me. I'm getting organized and preparing for this game, planning things ahead, plotting what to do. It's spilling over into my usually unorganized life. :psyduck:

Going to try another job application tomorrow, I feel like if I get an interview I should say "This is harsh, evaluate me"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
Ok so any tips on how to fight Crossbreed Priscilla? She goes invisible and I can survive for a good 10 minutes while randomly swinging but still havent been able to do it. is there a way to make her visible?

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Priam posted:

Yes because you can exploit the gently caress out of that area for way more souls - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbFjdnYP9S4

Oh Christ, YES.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Kweh posted:

Ok so any tips on how to fight Crossbreed Priscilla? She goes invisible and I can survive for a good 10 minutes while randomly swinging but still havent been able to do it. is there a way to make her visible?

Look for her foot prints in the snow.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Hmmm. I think the Capra Demon was a bit of a slip-up, design wise at least. It's kind of a mess of bland ideas.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Kweh posted:

She leaves footprints in the snow. Basically I ran a circle around the snowed area, and I would cut towards the footprints a bit, which would induce a swing while I was still running a circle around her. Once she whiffed I'd do a 2handed forward+R2 jumping attack towards the last set of footprints, and then roll away. She'll eventually become visible again for a bit after you do enough damage which helps visualize her pattern more.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is it just me or are elemental weapons WAY more powerful in this game than they ever were in Demon's? In Demons that dragon longsword was good at first but then my stat scaling weapons overcame it about 2/3 of the way through the game. I'm fairly near the end of Dark now, only four areas left, but my lightning halberd still beats my best scaling weapons by a large margin. My best scaling weapon is the lucerne +10 which gives me an attack power of 300 or so, and my lightning halberd (note that this is an UN-UPGRADED lightning halberd) is 420 or so. At this rate I will probably finish the game without heavily upgraded stat scaling weapons overcoming even minimally upgraded fire/lightning weapons in damage.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Oct 7, 2011

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

So, I used the fire stone thing thinking that was how i upgraded my flask since the game wasn't clear. Can I get another anywhere?

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Sankis posted:

So, I used the fire stone thing thinking that was how i upgraded my flask since the game wasn't clear. Can I get another anywhere?

Yes. Leaving Blighttown, after taking the waterwheel there's an alternate path as you're making your way out, you take a right where you would normally take a ladder. It leads to a labyrinth looking area with stone walls and dogs on the lower level with those annoying toxic blowdart dudes up on your level. If you drop down to where the dogs are and loot a corpse you can find another one. I think it's the only corpse over there.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

Loofa08 posted:

Assuming I were to skip that boss for now, the guide wants me to then head back to The Undead Asylum to fight the Stray Demon... this boss is totally wrecking my poo poo, seems like no matter what I do I can't seem to get his routine down, he always does that attack that pretty much covers the entire room. Sometimes it misses me, every other time it takes out 75% of my health. Assuming I actually survive the first 2 seconds of the battle, I end up getting killed by either his full room rape attack or he flies in the air and lands on me. Seems the best way is to go behind him and start whacking him and retreating. Also my Drake sword does no damage to the son of a bitch.

Couple tips:

1. 2 hand the Drakes sword. You're going to die in 2 hits no matter what.
2. He only has 2 attacks. The 360 aoe attack and when he flies up and pounds the ground. He gives a tell whenever he's about to do the aoe. Just run back about 10-20 feet.
3. Stay behind him at all times.
4. Right after a aoe attack and the pink light dissipates run in and take 2 swings on him. Dont get greedy, just 2 swings.
5. When he flies up into the air back off while rotating towards his back.
6. Position him in the middle of the room. If it takes you a couple times rotating him without attacking him, do it.
7. Have patience because you're going to be doing this same routine for awhile.

As for Sens Fortress, you can pretty much just run past the whole lower floor. It takes some practice getting through the traps and finding your way.

Where the hell are people to summon for Catacombs. I hung around the bonfire for like an hour and not 1 summon sign popped up.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
Wow thanks guys for the tip that did the trick. That fight freakin owns.

JG_Plissken
Oct 22, 2005

I went to a four year college and all I got was this stupid look on my face!
Where should I go after I ring the Gargoyle bell?

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

JG_Plissken posted:

Head back to the area before the dragon and open the previously locked door using the basement key.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just bought Common Faults by The Silent Comedy, just because their song Bartholomew from one of the Dark Souls trailers is loving awesome.

Can't wait till I get the game tonight :allears:

more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt
Any advice on where to get some green titanite? I just upgraded a Mace to +5 and I wanted to make it Divine so I could gently caress up some skeletons' poo poo. I already finished the boss of the Catacombs but there's a lot of treasure left behind.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

JG_Plissken posted:

There was a locked door before the hellkite dragon and next to that fat pudgy sun knight. That's your destination.

CrunchyTaco
Dec 25, 2007

Pomale posted:

Any advice on where to get some green titanite? I just upgraded a Mace to +5 and I wanted to make it Divine so I could gently caress up some skeletons' poo poo. I already finished the boss of the Catacombs but there's a lot of treasure left behind.

The slimes in the depths can drop it if you want to farm them.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Beat Capra Demon. Thought I'd have to take a longer break but my pride and all. I hope he's sucking off a bag of dicks in hell.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Tokubetsu posted:

Beat Capra Demon. Thought I'd have to take a longer break but my pride and all. I hope he's sucking off a bag of dicks in hell.

Nah he's just chillin in NG+ waiting for you.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
So, you can't remap the controls, right (I'm sure this has been covered but I checked several pages and found nothing)? Because I swear half of the difficulty of the game early on is the fact that the controls are stupid.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Neurosis posted:

So, you can't remap the controls, right (I'm sure this has been covered but I checked several pages and found nothing)? Because I swear half of the difficulty of the game early on is the fact that the controls are stupid.

No you cant but personally I love the controls. What is it about them that doesn't do it for you?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Decided to kill Lautrec before he could kill the chick and douse the kindlefire. The ring was worth it, if only for the equip load boast alone but then you get a gently caress ton of stamina on top of it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Kweh posted:

No you cant but personally I love the controls. What is it about them that doesn't do it for you?

This is just me, but the last Melee heavy game i played before this was Space Marine, so at the start, I instinctively hit the X button thinking that i'm going to strike, and instead it's me popping an estus flask before I get a beatdown by the simplest mooks.

But if this game is consistent about one thing other than hating you, it's you quickly getting used to the controls because it's what's neccesary.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

So yea, don't ever get cursed. Ever.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Kweh posted:

I am used to Bayonetta/Devil May Cry type control schemes. The face buttons doing very little is awkward and conflicts with my muscle memory.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

So yea, don't ever get cursed. Ever.

I saw a video showing how bad being cursed is. I really want to know where that merchant that sells anti-curse potions so i never have to deal with such a thing.

I take it to get to that person, you're gonna start facing things that can curse you?

]-[ate_Sandwich
Nov 27, 2000
Christ, I just killed Laurentius of the Great Swamp.

He's in a loving barrel, tells me to free him, I hit the barrels and he tried to kill me. gently caress this game for that one. Lame.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Neurosis posted:

I am used to Bayonetta/Devil May Cry type control schemes. The face buttons doing very little is awkward and conflicts with my muscle memory.

I was having the same problem. Wasted a lot of flasks early game because of this. I'm used to it now though, about eight hours in on my second character (other character has 5 hours played).

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009
Kinda weird that you can't light bonfires if you've summoned a phantom. No wonder nobody ever summons me.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Fargin Icehole posted:

I saw a video showing how bad being cursed is. I really want to know where that merchant that sells anti-curse potions so i never have to deal with such a thing.

I take it to get to that person, you're gonna start facing things that can curse you?

No but it is quite literally a bit of a backtrack/journey/pain in the rear end to get merchants that sell anti-curse poo poo...and it's gonna cost you. Don't really want to call it padding but yea, there's a reason why this is like a 50 hour game, minimum (OR until some BS impossible speedrun pops up).

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007

" posted:

-[ate_Sandwich"]
Christ, I just killed Laurentius of the Great Swamp.

He's in a loving barrel, tells me to free him, I hit the barrels and he tried to kill me. gently caress this game for that one. Lame.

For future reference, like many things, you can break those barrels simply by rolling into them. Also, if an NPC goes hostile towards you I'm pretty sure you can talk to the dude in the gargoyle bell tower to unhostile them.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Pomale posted:

You can buy it from the vendor in Sen's Fortress

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Just got to the first "real" boss of the game and got my poo poo wrecked, mainly cause I didn't expect it. Can do the run to and from it with no issues but is there a nearer bonfire than the first one in Undead Burg? Also, is this the guy that people were saying you can run up a tower and drop on his head because if so there's no climbable towers.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The area below the graveyard is the literal embodiment of hell

It is loaded to the gills with utter gently caress yous

My favorite part

I finally, finally, finally get past the bone river valley of wheelie skeletons of bullshit instadeath, kill the flaming necro boss in one shot, get just shy of 10k souls total.

Climb up the ladder. Hmm. Dark. Lights. Walk towards the first light, fall off edge, die.

Didn't make it past the Tomb of Giants after that either, the part where you drop down in the darkness with archers firing at you and TWO giant skeletons pop up. Yeah. Instadeath.

I love this game :buddy:

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Thievery posted:

Just got to the first "real" boss of the game and got my poo poo wrecked, mainly cause I didn't expect it. Can do the run to and from it with no issues but is there a nearer bonfire than the first one in Undead Burg? Also, is this the guy that people were saying you can run up a tower and drop on his head because if so there's no climbable towers.

Yes there is, it's the one literally behind you. To the left of the stairs (Right when you leave the fog, left when facing the stairs) there's a ladder.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Yes there is, it's the one literally behind you. To the left of the stairs (Right when you leave the fog, left when facing the stairs) there's a ladder.

Son of a bitch. I looked and didn't see it then got shot by an arrow. Thanks.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

victrix posted:

The area below the graveyard is the literal embodiment of hell

I love this game :buddy:

I was at the entrance, and there was just something inside me that said "Yeah, nope. You know what? I'll probably come back to this later"

Thanks for the confirmation (at your unfortunate expense)

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Oct 7, 2011

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Thievery posted:

Son of a bitch. I looked and didn't see it then got shot by an arrow. Thanks.

Also, the next bonfire is quite a bit away from that boss.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Hey quick question, sorry if this was answered already but there's no loving way I can keep up with this thread.

Just fought the black knight at the start of Darkroot Basin and almost had him when he leapt backwards off a cliff to his death. I got the souls but I'm relatively sure I saw an item floating around down where he fell. Is that just gone for good now? I've tried quitting, leaving to other areas and coming back and a combination of both and he doesn't seem to spawn again. If so, would that have been a set item or just a random drop I can find elsewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

It was most likely a piece of titanite, very rarely will they drop their sword of badassery or shield.

• Locked thread