Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

So, I don't think this has been mentioned, and I apologize if it has, but apparently you can now craft 4 pumpkin seeds from a pumpkin. Time to start a light bulb farm. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
You could just find seeds in mineshafts, but this is way quicker.

Eiba posted:

My biggest concern, though, is how much aimless wandering and tedious exploration it will require. The only time I've found Nether ruins is flying around in creative mode... for half an hour. I've never found a stronghold naturally (even in creative mode), and after cheating to find one or two, I'm positive I never would have.
Nether ruins don't seem so bad, and have become more frequent since 1.8, it seems.
Also if those debug glass spires are any indication, they intend to have some sort of surface marker to indicate stronghold locations instead of just burying them randomly now.

Also, the dragon does look ugly. It's like I see a lot of modders do when they create custom models: too many individual boxes to try and approximate a specific, detailed form. If you're gonna use boxes, keep it simple.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Emong posted:

Am I the only one who sees "Eye of The Ender" and thinks of some sort of lovecraftian god of endermen?

drat, now I want so bad giant Endermen that floats around in the void, beings that you really shouldn't get the attention of.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Iacen posted:

drat, now I want so bad giant Endermen that floats around in the void, beings that you really shouldn't get the attention of.

The Ender itself will be above one vast formless entity who's mind simply wills all Endermen into existence, it's form covered with eyes that blink in and out of existence at random

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The Ender itself will be above one vast formless entity who's mind simply wills all Endermen into existence, it's form covered with eyes that blink in and out of existence at random

Yogscast-Sothoth?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

JohnDonovanLiver posted:

Yogscast-Sothoth?

Yogscast-Notchoth :downsgun:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

canyon.mid posted:

If the 'Aether' is something else, then what the hell is this? The Nyx?

Sure, why not? No reason not to go all-out on dimensions.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Is there a list anywhere of the new recipes in 1.9? I really don't want to sit through a video by "gamechap and berty" to find out whats new

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cicadalek posted:

Is there a list anywhere of the new recipes in 1.9? I really don't want to sit through a video by "gamechap and berty" to find out whats new

The wiki usually has a changelog within seconds of updates going out. http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Version_history/Development_versions#B1.9pre3

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

change my name posted:

That dragon looks really ugly....

Seeing as Notch said it was the first renderable point he was able to take a picture of it, that he has stated it would probably take him to the end of the week to finish this mob, that he just altered the code after that screenshot to allow for more complex models and that right now that is the most complex model in the game, I have to disagree. The only thing that looks bad is the wings, which I am sure will change. Otherwise, the model looks like it has been given a ton of articulation, which is a rarity in Minecraft.

EDIT:

Annnnnd, Notch just posted an update on his work, looks great so far.

http://imgur.com/a/59H3o

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Eiba posted:

At the very least, if strongholds are vital for actually playing the game part of Minecraft there really needs to be some sort of dowsing rod/compass to find them.

Yeah I hope that as villages/NPCs, strongholds, and whatever else they come with becomes more complete either they will be easier to find or there will be items like the map and compass that will help you find them.

This update adds a lot of exciting stuff!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Enzer posted:

That beak... I'm imagining the dragon to have a chicken's face, now. Birds did evolve from dinos, after all! :3:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

ascii genitals posted:

Yeah I hope that as villages/NPCs, strongholds, and whatever else they come with becomes more complete either they will be easier to find or there will be items like the map and compass that will help you find them.

You could talk to villagers and they'd say things like "I saw an abandoned mine in the desert 500 meters to the north from here"?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Nenonen posted:

You could talk to villagers and they'd say things like "I saw an abandoned mine in the desert 500 meters to the north from here"?

I hope they'll have modified the worldgen so that the nearest abandoned mine isn't 1 meter away at all times too :D

It certainly would be nice to see them use the enchantment system to put rare enchanted items in strongholds and caves to give you a real reason to go exploring there.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Nenonen posted:

"I found a vast mine underneath the village that stretches for 500,000 meters!"

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
We had abandoned mines, then abandoned villages, and now villages with NPCs. Why not just have regular mines connected to the villages i.e. the villagers mine? Be kinda neat to see the NPC actually doing stuff like mining and whatnot. Almost like playing SMP but with bots controlling the other players.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Enzer posted:

That's really cool. Dragons are going to be a good addition to the game.

(Unless they're just remodeled ghasts.)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Enzer posted:

Seeing as Notch said it was the first renderable point he was able to take a picture of it, that he has stated it would probably take him to the end of the week to finish this mob, that he just altered the code after that screenshot to allow for more complex models and that right now that is the most complex model in the game, I have to disagree. The only thing that looks bad is the wings, which I am sure will change. Otherwise, the model looks like it has been given a ton of articulation, which is a rarity in Minecraft.

EDIT:

Yeah okay, that definitely looks better imo

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008

Mulefisk posted:

That's really cool. Dragons are going to be a good addition to the game.

(Unless they're just remodeled ghasts.)

They'll be much more frightening, shooting client crashes at you.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Looks cool, but I wonder if Notch realizes his game is supposed to "release" in 5 weeks?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Disappointing Pie posted:

"release"

Think you answered your own question there.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Also, he has a feature freeze allocated to focus on bugs before the official release, which is probably why he's shoving as much stuff in now as he can.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I just hope he get's NPC AI, performance tweaks, stuff like that in before he pumps it out.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Enzer posted:

EDIT:

For the love of god notch open your inventory!

I really, really want saddles to work on dragons. But I know they will just burn down my farm.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

Disappointing Pie posted:

I just hope he get's NPC AI, performance tweaks, stuff like that in before he pumps it out.

The dragon is destined to simply float around and drown itself randomly.

Oh and just piss you off when you're trying to get work done. It's modeled off of the Ghast.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Considering Notch has said on Reddit that it is a Ender Dragon and that it'll only be in The Ender I don't think you'll have to worry about random dragons loving your house up

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

ascii genitals posted:

Looks like Jeb just answered the call

@jeb_ posted:

Added a way to locate strongholds without cheating... Will be available in the next update!

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Considering Notch has said on Reddit that it is a Ender Dragon and that it'll only be in The Ender I don't think you'll have to worry about random dragons loving your house up

Yeah well what if I wanted an Ender farm? Raise baby dragons after feeding dragons wheat? Did you think of that? HUH? :colbert:

Actually, poo poo, raising dragons sounds good. Here's hoping we can steal dragon eggs and bring them back from the ender.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Dragon better not be able to destroy blocks. I can't imagine anything more annoying that a random dragon flying by and wrecking poo poo. Trogdor.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
They should allow people to enable terror mode where zombies, spiders, and skeletons don't spawn. It's just creepers, and they spawn for every type. Also, flying creepers.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

floor is lava posted:

Dragon better not be able to destroy blocks. I can't imagine anything more annoying that a random dragon flying by and wrecking poo poo. Trogdor.

That is exactly what I want. I want dragons to randomly shoot fire at things - finding the odd forest fire or burnt down house (or NPC village!) would be awesome.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Elysiume posted:

They should allow people to enable terror mode where zombies, spiders, and skeletons don't spawn. It's just creepers, and they spawn for every type. Also, flying creepers.

This should be an option for SMP servers. AllowRandomTerrorMode: True.

You're playing an all of a sudden a message pops up "PREPARE FOR TERROR". Then the sky instantly goes dark and the game enters "Terror Mode" for a random amount of time.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I hope that you can do dragon shouts now :allears:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Shnakepup posted:

This should be an option for SMP servers. AllowRandomTerrorMode: True.

You're playing an all of a sudden a message pops up "PREPARE FOR TERROR". Then the sky instantly goes dark and the game enters "Terror Mode" for a random amount of time.
Instead of flying creepers, just blot out the sun with paratrooper creepers. :black101:

drquasius
Dec 25, 2004
Being as the Endermen make zombie noises, I hope the dragons make Ghast noises.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

drquasius posted:

Being as the Endermen make zombie noises, I hope the dragons make Ghast noises.
Aren't there new noises for Endermen that just aren't in yet? I thought I heard that somewhere.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Anyone notice something seems up with the stone in this image?

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

FPzero posted:

Anyone notice something seems up with the stone in this image?

What stone? All is see is gravel.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Then what is that yellow-green stuff next to the gravel> I don't think it's sand, you can see it in other parts of the image and the coloration is slightly different from sand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
I am pretty sure that's heavily pixelated sand.