Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
This game is the best game. I have been playing all day, talking in private chat with a friend of mine ( who also has the game ). It is absolutely hilarious to hear grunts and shrieks of terror from the other side as we both explore new and frightening territories. The game is still lonely and scary enough - I am glad that I have a friend to chat with for comfort.

I beat the gargoyles on my first try - they weren't very hard with the aid of the Sun Lord and rang the bell, and I have been exploring the Gardens. I found my way to Valley of the Drakes, but screw that place. I can take the enemies one by one, but groups of three? No thank you, sir. I don't know where to go next, but that is half the fun. I'm also farming for souls in the mean time.

God I love this game. I never played Demon's Souls myself, but now I see why it was so hyped by the community. Dark Souls is so unique in the way it has been crafted that it is in a class of its own. The world is haunting, dangerous and absolutely beautiful, and I can't wait to go deeper. And die, thousands of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The.GreyWolf posted:

Anyone? It says my stats don't meet the requirements.

Well, do your stats meet the requirements? If you look at the item it should have them displayed somewhere. I think the gargoyle axe requires something like 17 strength and dex.

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

Always got to wash them at their ends.
Just to confirm: you can only leave/rate comments if you have orange soapstone?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sumixam posted:

Confirm, but you only need to buy it once and it costs 100 souls at the first merchant you find.

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010

Sumixam posted:

It's the only way I know how to do it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sumixam posted:

Yes.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Sumixam posted:

Oh oh I know this one! Correct.

In the Undead Berg, if you begin at the bonfire, exit the room and go back down the stairs. There's a small pathway leading to two spear-skeletons. Kill them and clear away the barrels to uncover some stairs. Go down and out the first exit you see and there is a merchant on your right that will sell it to you.

^^^Where you can get it quick. Easy to miss if you're not paying attention.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

The Moon Monster posted:

Well, do your stats meet the requirements? If you look at the item it should have them displayed somewhere. I think the gargoyle axe requires something like 17 strength and dex.

Ahh, of course. It would seem I'm still terrible at this game, haha.

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

DeathSandwich posted:

Confirm, but you only need to buy it once and it costs 100 souls at the first merchant you find.

Ah - I assumed you needed to buy one each time you wanted to do it because the icon has a number on it. I thought it was a one time use thing to make you waste souls before gaining the ability for free later on. I am far too suspicious of this game.

Also is Havel a manageable fight or should I come back later?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Ok so the holy property on weapons kills catacomb skeletons dead, but what does the unholy property do?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I'm taking my time in the burg and getting my affairs in order to go give the Taurus my full attention. I started as a knight and Im using the winged spear/hollow shield and the chain armor for at least a little mobility. Are any of the swords at the vendor worth picking up before moving forward, or should I just stick with my spear and longsword for now?

I can't loving wait to get to the blacksmith.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

Ok so the holy property on weapons kills catacomb skeletons dead, but what does the unholy property do?

Say whaaaat? Oh man I am going back into the catacombs, I wish I knew this before running blind into that place and dying to hordes of immortal skeletons.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

So I hosed up and missed freeing the gold knight before killing the gargoyles. Did I miss out entirely on the ring he gives you for freeing him?

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Gooch181 posted:

I'm taking my time in the burg and getting my affairs in order to go give the Taurus my full attention. I started as a knight and Im using the winged spear/hollow shield and the chain armor for at least a little mobility. Are any of the swords at the vendor worth picking up before moving forward, or should I just stick with my spear and longsword for now?

I can't loving wait to get to the blacksmith.

I'd say grab the drake sword.

DO IT TO IT posted:

So I hosed up and missed freeing the gold knight before killing the gargoyles. Did I miss out entirely on the ring he gives you for freeing him?

You don't get a ring for freeing him. He releases himself if you don't free him and you can proceed as normal. The only thing you get from freeing him is a sun medal thing.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
EDIT: Double post

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

For anybody still having trouble with the Capra Demon, I found that a spear was the best way to take out the dogs. Just dash in, turtle at the top of the stairs, and poke while blocking after they lunge at you.

Steven
Sep 15, 2008
What stats do I need to make my guy flip instead of roll? Some people say you need END, some say DEX. Some people say you need a ring. Does anyone know for sure how to flip? I already put like 30 points into dex and I cant flip I think I ruined my character.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Found myself in Valley of Drakes by accident, slashing away at a dragon doing 10 damage with my lovely dagger. Then out of nowhere, 440 damage. This happened a couple of times, daggers are awesome.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

Thievery posted:

Found myself in Valley of Drakes by accident, slashing away at a dragon doing 10 damage with my lovely dagger. Then out of nowhere, 440 damage. This happened a couple of times, daggers are awesome.

Daggers have some sort of awesome crit to them. Next character I make is definitly going to be thief.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Nigulus Rex posted:

You don't get a ring for freeing him. He releases himself if you don't free him and you can proceed as normal. The only thing you get from freeing him is a sun medal thing.

Ah cool, good to know.

DO IT TO IT fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 7, 2011

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
When is the soonest I can go to Anor Rondo and feasibly upgrade a weapon to lightning?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Yay! I got past the dumb Chapra demon with the help of some summons. Is the Depths the next best place to go or should I try to brave the Basin? I went into the Darkroot Basin but just got sniped by a five headed dragon(?)

What's a good farming spot for where I am in the game?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Thievery posted:

Sounds like your dagger might have a bleed effect on it.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Nigulus Rex posted:

When is the soonest I can go to Anor Rondo and feasibly upgrade a weapon to lightning?

Right after you ring the second bell. You'd still have to kill a Golem, run past assassins though. Also, gargoyles and giant knight suits.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Talran posted:

Right after you ring the second bell. You'd still have to kill a Golem, run past assassins though. Also, gargoyles and giant knight suits.

Thanks. Will I be able to get the materials that soon if I'm running past all sorts of enemies?

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Played about an hour into my first game, including beating the Asylum Demon, with my HUD turned off. REAL DARK SOULS BABY

I still like to turn it off from time to time, it makes the game even more immersive.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Nigulus Rex posted:

Thanks. Will I be able to get the materials that soon if I'm running past all sorts of enemies?

Fight leeches, and suits of armor should cover ya.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Crowbear posted:

Sounds like your dagger might have a bleed effect on it.

Doesn't bleed just work the same way as poison?

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Talran posted:

Fight leeches, and suits of armor should cover ya.

Uhm...where are those? :(

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Nigulus Rex posted:

Uhm...where are those? :(

Leeches: Second bell, outside, across the swamp. Good drop rate on the first and second tier stones.
Armor: Anor Rondo, you won't miss em.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Thievery posted:

That's the bleed effect in this game I guess, in demons souls it was a straight damage over time but in this game I guess it applies all it's damage up front to differentiate it from poison.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

The Wise Teen posted:

Doesn't bleed just work the same way as poison?

Bleed fills up an unseen meter when you're using it and then does 30% of the enemy health when it goes off for bonkers damage in some cases.

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

Any Wanderers here? My scimitar broke early on in the Burg. What did you guys do?

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Cake Attack posted:

Go to the Deepwood grove and beat the boss of the area (The moonlight Butterfly) You'll get a key for doing this that unlocks the door in the watchtower before the taurus demon, beat another boss in this area to get another key that unlocks a door in the same area that takes you to the depths. Deepwood Grove is next to the blacksmith.

Is that the place where you need to 20k soul key? Is there an alternative to buying this key?

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Why can't I use my Titanite chunk to reinforce. :saddowns:

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
This game is wonderful. I'm still very early, but the atmosphere is amazing, and it's just so much tighter than Demon's Souls. Love it. I was surprised that it only took me a few tries to get the Asylum Demon, and so far the only times I've really felt totally hosed have been the times when I'm completely surrounded.

I really love the bonfires being where you return when you die, and the wide-open feel really sells the adventure aspect. I'm in the Undead Burg right now, and I feel comfortable around my bonfire, but totally lost everywhere else. Awesome. Demon's Souls is one of my favorite PS3 games, and this is everything I could hope for from a follow-up.

Peppi
May 17, 2011

by Lowtax
About 3 hours in, got scared by the black knight right before the boar thing. Ran all the way back to the bonfire beneath the dragon bridge, knight got burned by the dragon and I collected the souls :smug:

I never finished Demon's, and I don't think I ever can after playing this. Everything just feels better.

Level 19 thief, carrying a wooden shield and a spear, naked.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

der juicen posted:

Why can't I use my Titanite chunk to reinforce. :saddowns:

I think you need to upgrade the blacksmith first.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sumixam posted:

Any Wanderers here? My scimitar broke early on in the Burg. What did you guys do?

Buy another Scimitar from the merchant in the burg. Also buy a repair box so that doesn't happen again (they have unlimited uses).

Just got an email from amazon apologizing for not upgrading my copy to the collector's edition like they said they would. The $20 in amazon credit is better than the collector's edition bonuses anyway so I guess that worked out well :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sumixam posted:

There is a blacksmith literally right below firelink shrine, look right around the bonfire and their should be stairs leading down to an elevator. At the bottom go right and along the cliffside there should be some stairs going down with the blacksmith standing right there.

That or the vendor in the burbs sells repair powder.

• Locked thread