Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Yodzilla posted:

loving hell there's an overturned truck outside of the Lucky 38 right in the middle of the strip. It's been there for 200 years someone move that poo poo you lazy assholes.

What makes you think it was there for 200 years? The game doesn't show vehicles being driven around but that's just a limitation of the engine, if you read the computer logs and such regarding the Camp Searchlight quests, you'll see that trucks and fire engines were being driven around shortly before the beginning of the adventure. I think ropekid has also confirmed that there are thousands of working vehicles in the NCR.

I saw this mistaken way of seeing things in discussions related to Lonesome Road, as well. Somebody complained that there was a broken pipe with water gushing out, and that it was ridiculous for water to still be running 200 years after the war - but The Divide was destroyed within the Courier's lifetime, and prior to that was a well-developed and advanced civilization. There's running water all over the Mojave, even in rather remote locations, it stands to reason there's be even more advanced plumbing and infrastructure farther west.

ClearAirTurbulence fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Node posted:

This is becoming a problem and I'm running out of ammo for my energy weapons. I brought all my ammo over from the Mojave, too. The Sink vendor doesn't sell any of it, and being forced to run from a group of lobotomites with brush guns is really hurting.

Yep! I spent more ammo there than anywhere else. Try to take out the less threatening enemies like the roboscorpions with a proton axe. Even if your skill sucks it does reasonable damage.

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

There's running water all over the Mojave, even in rather remote locations, it stands to reason there's be even more advanced plumbing and infrastructure farther west.

Part of the problem is people aren't used to the timeline advancing in games. Fallout 1 was straight up post apocalyptic, but by New Vegas, at least in the core region, things are more post-postapocalyptic. Civilization has begun returning, there are probably parts of the NCR where life isn't much harder than it is in a developing country in the modern world. Except the occasional swarm of giant radioactive scorpions.

I'm not sure if I like it that way, I do miss the original Fallout 3's core concept of time is passing in the wasteland, but things just keep getting worse because people are assholes who won't stop fighting over the scraps of the old world to build a new one.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 7, 2011

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Node posted:

This is becoming a problem and I'm running out of ammo for my energy weapons. I brought all my ammo over from the Mojave, too. The Sink vendor doesn't sell any of it, and being forced to run from a group of lobotomites with brush guns is really hurting.

Don't you have the recycling perk?

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Part of the problem is people aren't used to the timeline advancing in games. Fallout 1 was straight up post apocalyptic, but by New Vegas, at least in the core region, things are more post-postapocalyptic. Civilization has begun returning, there are probably parts of the NCR where life isn't much harder than it is in a developing country in the modern world. Except the occasional swarm of giant radioactive scorpions.

I'm not sure if I like it that way, I do miss the original Fallout 3's core concept of time is passing in the wasteland, but things just keep getting worse because people are assholes who won't stop fighting over the scraps of the old world to build a new one.

I like that civilization is developing and some things are actually better by the late 23rd century than they are now. The NCR is almost as old as the USA, and working cars have been common enough to not draw too much attention since Fallout 2. The Followers say something about how human lifespans are increasing, this may be due to the various mutation-causing viruses drifting around or just natural selection, but your character doesn't seem that surprised on the couple of occasions where they hear about or meet somebody who is far older than possible in our times. People have working portable fusion reactors for energy and they know how to recharge ones that have gone dead with just a workbench. Tribal chemists can produce drugs that can completely cure any addiction for less than the price of a brahmin steak dinner. Common people build household robots to help with their chores. By 2281, life in the Fallout universe is a lot better than modern times for many people - of course, there are regions where life is brutal, nasty, and short, but that's the same here.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The goddamned commissary in LR is pissing me off. It refills with no rhyme or reason that I can pinpoint. I thought it was a 3 day timer in another cell, like most vendors... and that worked for a while. But now its not refilling no matter how long I stay away in or out of zone... :negative:

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Kharmakazy posted:

The goddamned commissary in LR is pissing me off. It refills with no rhyme or reason that I can pinpoint. I thought it was a 3 day timer in another cell, like most vendors... and that worked for a while. But now its not refilling no matter how long I stay away in or out of zone... :negative:

I've found that it refills when you get it's cap supply very low, around a couple of hundred caps.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

Don't you have the recycling perk?

Nope. This is the first time I wish I had it. I never picked it since I completed all of Mojave, Dead Money, Honest Hearts without ever having to worry about it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like that civilization is developing and some things are actually better by the late 23rd century than they are now.

Yeah, they both have their advantages and stories to tell, I just like the nasty uncivilized ones more. Nice thing is that civilization is limited to such a small area, so there's plenty of room for poo poo to be terrible in other spots and do both kinds of games and stories.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Node posted:

Nope. This is the first time I wish I had it. I never picked it since I completed all of Mojave, Dead Money, Honest Hearts without ever having to worry about it.

Ah that sucks. I never go energy weapons but I find hand loader super handy and you can make whizz-bang bullets with it.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I never go energy weapons because I don't think any of them are silent or even have silencers. I would think they could find a way to shoot a beam of light quietly.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Kharmakazy posted:

I never go energy weapons because I don't think any of them are silent or even have silencers. I would think they could find a way to shoot a beam of light quietly.

It wouldn't be much of a pew-pew laser if it didn't pew-pew.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It does bother me after finishing Lonesome Road, you go back to plain old personalityless ED-E

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

It does bother me after finishing Lonesome Road, you go back to plain old personalityless ED-E

Forget that. I want the robot that can save me from a nuclear weapon because it thinks my clothes are stylish.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

RE: Caesar's plans: yes, he views the Colorado River as the Rubicon and the NCR as the corrupt Roman Republic waiting to be torn down via military occupation. This is literally exactly what Julius Caesar did with Legio XIII Gemina. Other things Julius Caesar did: not leave a clear line of succession, resulting in the early fracture and borderline collapse of the nascent Roman Empire he created.

There's running water all over the Mojave, even in rather remote locations
Pretty much all of those places have water towers above the urban center. An elevated source and unobstructed pipes are the only things you really need to have running water.

EDIT: At least in the Mojave, that's the case. I don't know about LR.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 7, 2011

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I can't belive how much content i've missed during my first playthrough. Entire Westside, Camp Searchlight, The Thorn, Cottonwood Cove, Vault 34, Sewers and god knows what else. Obsidian :allears:.

On the same note, i haven't sided with Legion so far but my third playthrough as Melee/Unarmed/Survival tribal is going to be that one. How extensive is the Legion storyline? I mean, you get millions of quests and fluff dialogue while working for NCR but i don't think that would be the same with Legion. Also, is it possible to, lets say, do Legion quests and help NCR aswell by the use of Speech and disguises?

I am not planning to play a mindless murderer (unless Ceasar wants me to :hist101:) but the game suggests that i will be shot on sight everywhere if i kill couple of NCR patrols.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

You can serve Caesar without pissing off the NCR for the most part. As long as your use sneak kills etc, I think you can do most Legion Quests w/out even losing infamy.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Knuc If U Buck posted:

You can serve Caesar without pissing off the NCR for the most part. As long as your use sneak kills etc, I think you can do most Legion Quests w/out even losing infamy.

There's a certain point in Legion's main quest line where you automatically get branded a Terrorist by the NCR and everyone in NCR will shoot at you on sight.

Going back to the whole vehicle thing, don't forget NCR also has Trains that are running, the reason why the NCRCF Prisoners were given dynamite so they could fix up the rail lines.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Orange Crush Rush posted:

There's a certain point in Legion's main quest line where you automatically get branded a Terrorist by the NCR and everyone in NCR will shoot at you on sight.

Going back to the whole vehicle thing, don't forget NCR also has Trains that are running, the reason why the NCRCF Prisoners were given dynamite so they could fix up the rail lines.

I was Idolized by the NCR and Legion and I don't remember them being outright hostile to me until the dam.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Node posted:

Punching things with a superheated saturnite fist is a real good way to save ammo :)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

Orange Crush Rush posted:

This is why its good to stealth kill an NCR Engineer, strip him and chuck his body off Hoover Dam (the last bit's optional but hilarious). You end up with a super-lightweight NCR faction armor that gives you +5 repair.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

SynthOrange posted:

Awww really? I saved right after I beat it and I thought he'd come with you. :saddowns:

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

rope kid posted:

Pretty much all of those places have water towers above the urban center. An elevated source and unobstructed pipes are the only things you really need to have running water.

EDIT: At least in the Mojave, that's the case. I don't know about LR.

Water towers are just to provide consistent pressure and a small amount of back-up water in case there's a breakdown of the system that pumps water up into the towers. You still need to get water into the tower, even big ones empty pretty quick if that stops.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you're going to be a Legion Terrorist use all those handy NCR uniforms just lying around. They havent thrown disguises everywhere for show.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Galewolf posted:

I can't belive how much content i've missed during my first playthrough. Entire Westside, Camp Searchlight, The Thorn, Cottonwood Cove, Vault 34, Sewers and god knows what else. Obsidian :allears:.

I think I ruined the game by being a completionist the first-time around and exploring every single loving marker on my compass. I've already seen everything. :( drat OCD.

That being said, I used to be Fallout 3's biggest fan, but after finishing New Vegas it is pretty clear that NV>FO3. I'm replaying 3 now and I'll be damned if I don't miss the iron sights. My character can't hit poo poo outside of VATS in Fallout 3. And since I'm a retarded babby, it didn't even occur to me until now to ask why the gently caress Radscorpions are in the Capital Wasteland.

So good job rope kid and everyone else involved. Do you guys have any input on Fallout 4, or did Bethesda just tell you to fuckoff and wait for Fallout 5? :allears:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Water towers are just to provide consistent pressure and a small amount of back-up water in case there's a breakdown of the system that pumps water up into the towers. You still need to get water into the tower, even big ones empty pretty quick if that stops.
Hydraulics is fundamentally pretty simple technology. Running water has existed for centuries. Hand pumps and other such devices are slow, but reliable. You really have to work to gently caress that up.

EDIT: Also, the water brahmin model was created for F:NV specifically to show that people can and do transport water overland via brahmin. Places without springs rely on water caravans.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 7, 2011

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

HoveringCheesecake posted:

That being said, I used to be Fallout 3's biggest fan, but after finishing New Vegas it is pretty clear that NV>FO3. I'm replaying 3 now and I'll be damned if I don't miss the iron sights. My character can't hit poo poo outside of VATS in Fallout 3. And since I'm a retarded babby, it didn't even occur to me until now to ask why the gently caress Radscorpions are in the Capital Wasteland.

This sounds up your street. It let's you play FO3 from within NV, with all the features etc that you'd expect.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

HoveringCheesecake posted:

Fallout 3 was great until I started paying attention to the main storyline.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I just beat Dead Money for the first time. That was rather very good! I found myself liking my companions in there more than the main storyline ones, though you do very little with them really.

Whole thing was rather nice, though I wish they'd gone more into the deal with the Ghost people/ Red Fog in here, though I presume that's elaborated on in later DLCs given how they kept going on about them.

Father Elijah was the weakest of the characters I think. He wasn't bad, but the final interactions with him kind of got held back by the game mechanics and lobbed into OK ROLL YOUR SKILL CHECKS TO SEE HOW YOUR FINAL ENCOUNTER WITH HIM GOES.

Where's the best place to sell my gold?

Saiko Kila
Aug 8, 2009

These were supposed to be peaceful negotiations! We brought only nukes!

HUMANZ. SO GULLIBLE.

What makes you think it was there for 200 years? The game doesn't show vehicles being driven around but that's just a limitation of the engine, if you read the computer logs and such regarding the Camp Searchlight quests, you'll see that trucks and fire engines were being driven around shortly before the beginning of the adventure. I think ropekid has also confirmed that there are thousands of working vehicles in the NCR.

What? All these vehicles were being driven over 200 years before the story starts. Now NCR guys drive only brahmins, if so. The sloppiness of people supposedly trying to live a civilized life is bugging me. They are so lazy they even don't clean their own houses, and these still look like they were abandoned years ago. I would understood if they were jobless junkies (raiders) or something like that, but traders, hoteliers, scientists, officers, small business owners etc. shouldn't behave that way. "Hey, look at my brand old broken terminal! And that bent tin can on top of it! Bent, you see? That's the style!"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Saiko Kila posted:

What? All these vehicles were being driven over 200 years before the story starts. Now NCR guys drive only brahmins, if so.

NCR has lots of functioning vehicles. It's in the backstory stuff of the Fallout Bible, I believe the ratio they were using was one vehicle for every 1500 people or something. Hell, the NCR has brand new railroad tracks built into the Mojave in the game, so they obviously have some trains operating.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

While the fact that there's a lot of places that would've been logically cleaned up by now that are covered in trash bugs me, you drove a freaking car yourself in Fallout 2. Not to mention vertibirds.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 7, 2011

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008

Zorak posted:

Where's the best place to sell my gold?

You don't sell your gold, you put it in a bathtub along with all of your pre-war money.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Saiko Kila posted:

What? All these vehicles were being driven over 200 years before the story starts. Now NCR guys drive only brahmins, if so.

The NCR has an extensive mechanized infantry and armored component to their military. If I remember correctly, one of the big reasons they haven't curb stomped the legion is that they can't get their heavy artillery and support through the divide.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

penis bandana posted:

You don't sell your gold, you put it in a bathtub along with all of your pre-war money.

No. You MAKE a bathtub using the gold which you then fill with pre-war money

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Saiko Kila posted:

What? All these vehicles were being driven over 200 years before the story starts. Now NCR guys drive only brahmins, if so. The sloppiness of people supposedly trying to live a civilized life is bugging me. They are so lazy they even don't clean their own houses, and these still look like they were abandoned years ago. I would understood if they were jobless junkies (raiders) or something like that, but traders, hoteliers, scientists, officers, small business owners etc. shouldn't behave that way. "Hey, look at my brand old broken terminal! And that bent tin can on top of it! Bent, you see? That's the style!"

Yeah all those shiny new OD green trucks parked in NCR bases don't resemble the burned-out wheelless rustbuckets everywhere else for a reason

And while you've sorta got a point I don't think you've seen how small business owners (or scientists) tend to actually live irl.

penis bandana posted:

Mod request: character animation and keybinding for makin' it rain

Also reloading bench options for casting gold bullets :whatup:

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 7, 2011

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

No. You MAKE a bathtub using the gold which you then fill with pre-war money

I personally like to re-enact the infamous mountain of money burning scene from The Dark Knight while watching from my throne made of gold and prostitutes. Every day.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Saiko Kila posted:

Well, you could get a car in Fallout 2 and you could drive vehicles in Fallout Tactics (which is canon IIRC, despite the negative criticism directed towards it).

Overall, I thought Fallout 3 and NV did a decent job capturing the disparity in technology and the slapdash/scavenger society that would crop up in a post-apocalyptic world. I figure the Wasteland is equivalent to like, 1860-1870, with certain pockets miles ahead because of access to pre-war technology. If you've watched Deadwood then you get a sense of how rough and dirty the frontier was in the 1860s and 1870s, but in the same period cities like New York or Chicago were huge, relatively clean, and well-organized. For example, construction of the Brooklyn Bridge broke ground in 1870.

One thing I think Fallout 1 & 2 did a lot better aesthetically is the size of cities. Settlements and towns felt a lot bigger and more realistically organized in Fallout 2 than they do in Fallout 3. Places that had been settled longer looked like they had gone beyond simple scavenging and started new construction, fabrication and urban planning. A top-down, isometric view helps with that, but so does the fact that Fallout 1 & 2 weren't sandboxes in the modern sense. In New Vegas you can go everywhere and see everything, so it's really obvious that all these NPCs have no homes. Or if they have homes, they're all boarded-up and havent been looked after in decades because apparently everyone is shiftless and lazy. In the original Fallouts, you just couldn't go on the map to where the homes presumably were located.

I'm curious to see how Obsidian would render a location like Vault City.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 7, 2011

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

SpaceMost posted:

I'm curious to see how Obsidian would render a location like Vault City.

Segmented into dozens of sections, of course :v:
But honestly, the way settlements and cities (and New Vegas in particular) were presented in FNV was pretty much my only major complaint with the game.
I realize a lot of this was probably due to technical limitations so you can't exactly blame Obsidian for it, but it just taints an otherwise excellent game.

There's a couple of very good locations; Freeside is an excellent example, I think. It manages to properly capture the kind of feeling you'd get in a major city in ME2, the only problem with it is that it's still way too small and it feels a bit less populated than it should be, I believe.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
You thought Freeside was too small? It was a mostly empty piece of poo poo town that took way too long to get around for no good reason given how sparsely populated it was. If there weren't walls everywhere it wouldn't be too bad but splitting it into two and making some parts like a maze didn't do anything but make it annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If I hear about Mike and Ralph's one more time... :argh: