Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Estel
May 4, 2010
Itīs sand, the light sometimes does weird things with shadows. That plus heavily pixelated image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Estel posted:

That plus heavily pixelated image.

You don't have to say "heavily pixelated". You can just say "Minecraft screenshot".

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I guess, I've just not seen sand generated in those areas before. When have you seen sand in the walls underneath dirt?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

FPzero posted:

I guess, I've just not seen sand generated in those areas before. When have you seen sand in the walls underneath dirt?

It's in my current SMP seed; there's some caves that butt right up against a lake and some sand underneath dirt.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Alright then, I've just never seen it myself. What I was going for with the "different stone" was maybe he's added "limestone" or something.

Yeah, I know limestone isn't really green.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
Haven't realy had much time to play properly, but I do occasionally fire up the game with a world seed and see what I have - this morning I set it up for my daughter she picked the seed 'Tooth Fairy' - I start on a hill in the middle of trees, turn around and walk maybe 30 meters and encounter a giant crack in the earth that goes straight down, exposing all the minerals I need, and including a cavern entrance that very quickly takes me down to lava lakes. Skye didn't like it, she walked straight into the crack and plummeted to her death seconds afer starting.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah, that is just a rather bad angle on sand, Notch HAS added a new block type though, or at least the texture for it is in the terrain.png file in 1.9RS3, people were guessing limestone or marble (which I would love, need another "stone" block to build large structures with, marble would be amazing for this... Dwarf Fortress has spoiled me on building materials), but its what the ground is made of in the first image of the dragon. Looks a bit odd, like it is underwater and the sun is leaving a rippled lighting effect on the ground.

Looking at the new images of the Enderdragon, I am liking what he is doing with the body, it is proportioned well, tail and neck have great potential for articulation (and since this is a rather major mob, I am hoping that Notch uses them to give it attacks like sweeping its tail across the ground to throw players back or bend the neck around to breath fire on players trying to get behind it... I can dream damnit!), and the wings are looking much better, but I agree with the head looking too much like a beak, but I'm not sure what could really be done to alter it, maybe restructure the upper half so it is larger and slanted instead of a block with a bill attached.

Also, I hope that the method of finding strongholds Jeb is talking about has to do with helping out villagers and them giving you clues to their location when you gained their trust.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 7, 2011

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The dragon will probably bump into you for damage. :notch:

I'm joking, I hope it does have some cool attacks and animations.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006
I'm pretty sure that isn't sand. Looking at this picture, the cliffsides in those semi-distant hills that would normally show up as regular grey stone also appear to be whatever this yellowish stuff is (and while occasional pockets of sand might generate, it doesn't do entire mountains of the stuff and cover them with dirt), and there's a hanging block of it at the cave entrance in the lower left (although that's not really convincing by itself, as the game will produce floating sand when it generates caves).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
In real life, sand will in fact be present on mountainsides and under dirt, in a lot of places. It's also rather common in caves. This kinda looks more like Notch making slightly more realistic terrain generation, the real world doesn't only have sand on deserts and shores.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Looks like default stone texture behind a layer of fog at a great distance away from the viewer combined with crappy picture quality to me. The sand in the upper right matches the block we are talking about though. This feels like that image of the new chests Notch posted a while back where he was holding a block of sand and people thought it was a different block (quicksand) sitting next to the chest.

I'd love to see a new stone block outside of the Enderland's, but I wont be convinced until a clearer picture is taken.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

trandorian posted:

In real life, sand will in fact be present on mountainsides and under dirt, in a lot of places. It's also rather common in caves. This kinda looks more like Notch making slightly more realistic terrain generation, the real world doesn't only have sand on deserts and shores.

Yeah but sand sucks to dig through and you can't build with it for poo poo unless you're especially fond of piss yellow so it's presence in minecraft(italics) should perhaps be limited.

Rabidsamba
Sep 1, 2011

arhra posted:

I'm pretty sure that isn't sand. Looking at this picture

Yeah the sandy colored blocks in the bottom left definitely look like they have the same texture as the blocks in the original dragon picture in the Enderman dimension that Notch posted.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

YOURFRIEND posted:

Yeah but sand sucks to dig through and you can't build with it for poo poo unless you're especially fond of piss yellow so it's presence in minecraft(italics) should perhaps be limited.

I need all the glass man. All the glass.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
If anybody cares, Minecraft for Android is now available for all Android devices https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mojang.minecraftpe&feature=search_result
I played the demo but the controls are pretty wonky and the sounds are different. It just doesn't feel right.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Game needs more giant grottos and underground lakes.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

AlternateAccount posted:

Game needs more giant grottos and underground lakes.

I've noticed a lot of underground lava lakes in 1.9 pre 3. When you get closer to bedrock you get big, open caverns with giant lakes of fire.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

FPzero posted:

The dragon will probably bump into you for damage. :notch:

I'm joking, I hope it does have some cool attacks and animations.

It certainly has enough articulation for some nice secondary motion. I hope he uses it! :3:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Dragons? Finally, a GOOD use for saddles :black101:

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Are these from a mod? They seem to randomly show up as I am exploring. Nothing seems to be under them. There is a single light stone in the center.

PlotDevice
Oct 10, 2007

*For the Ghost Who Flies Through Space
Is there a support alias I can send mail to for password related shenanigans? I haven't played in forever and forgot my password but when I try the forgot your password link on the main page it throws a 403 forbidden error. :downs:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

i like tacos posted:

If anybody cares, Minecraft for Android is now available for all Android devices https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mojang.minecraftpe&feature=search_result
I played the demo but the controls are pretty wonky and the sounds are different. It just doesn't feel right.

Building the world crashed my Samsung Galaxy hard. Totally locked up. Had to pull the battery.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

mrwuss posted:

Are these from a mod? They seem to randomly show up as I am exploring. Nothing seems to be under them. There is a single light stone in the center.

Strange. Do you have any mods installed? If so, you may double check with the mod thread. I haven't run into anything like that, but then again I haven't explored much in the newest pre-release.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

trandorian posted:

On a 1.8 server I found a desert biome that ran straight into a mountain biome. Half of the mountain was sand/sandstone. So, this shouldn't be a new feature (or even an uncommon feature?)

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I have a house I've built inside a nice cave. It's sealed off and well-lit, I've been working/sleeping in and around it for several minecraft days. I wake up from my bed, go past my cowpen, and leave the house to harvest some sugarcane. It's broad daylight. I turn around, re-enter my house... and an Enderman is bounding around in the middle of the cave with a grass block :gonk: Where? Why? How?

e: I snuck around to a chest, grabbed a bucket of water, and gave the Enderman a wetfoot. He teleported out of my house. I think there's another monster cave under my living cave (I hear zombie noises from it occasionally) and he must have popped in from there. Crazy little buggers.
vvvv

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 8, 2011

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e: ^^^ Does anyone really know what happens to endermen when the sun comes up? I guess they don't burn like skeletons and zombies anymore, so maybe they don't actually die/despawn and they just teleport to the nearest shady spot?

FPzero posted:

Anyone notice something seems up with the stone in this image?

I don't know about the sand looking stuff on the right, but the few blocks of (stone?) on the bottom left certainly look like they've got a different texture. Looks like maybe the same block from the enderland?

edit2: Just tried the pocket edition on my Droid X and it works much better than I'd expected, the same goes for the controls. Every other first person game I've played on it using the touch screen has been a bit of a hassle to control, but they seem to have gotten a good interface put together. Though it'd probably be unplayable without the auto jump when moving around on hills and the like.

bango skank fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 8, 2011

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So I just tried the pocket edition on my evo 3d, and aside from being really hard to control, I've been getting giant intersecting flat planes of color everywhere. Anyone else have this problem?

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lazyfire posted:

I didn't know throwing eggs could make chickens spawn until about a week ago. I started a new world in 1.9 anticipation, herding animals into a pen near my house, and throwing any eggs I found in there. I took some screenshots of my little pen and was about to post a picture with the three pigs, single sheep and 30 chickens I had before this madness began.

Now I really, really want a harvest moon mod similar to the zelda adventure mod someone made. It would at least justify my insane animal hoarding actions.

What's that texture pack you were using in that screenshot you posted on page one

SIr_Lienad
Aug 17, 2011

Furthering my education in stupidity, one day at a time.
Fun Shoe

bango skank posted:

I don't know about the sand looking stuff on the right, but the few blocks of (stone?) on the bottom left certainly look like they've got a different texture. Looks like maybe the same block from the enderland?

The stuff on the left looks like sand to me.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Endermen are a bitch to kill now. Playing the sky island map in 1.9r2, I managed to kill about three out of the ten endermen I actively attacked. They don't die during the day, but they DO die in the rain or snow. Hunting them with a sword or bow is hard as hell because they teleport whenever they feel threatened, and sometimes they teleport as they die so you never get to loot their bodies. They also teleport away when you fire an arrow at them juuuuust before it hits.

They also steal precious, precious dirt from the sky island. All of these factors combine to make endermen complete assholes.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

change my name posted:

So I just tried the pocket edition on my evo 3d, and aside from being really hard to control, I've been getting giant intersecting flat planes of color everywhere. Anyone else have this problem?

It's working fine for me. Incredible user here.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
Pocket Edition works fine for me. I'm running fast graphics instead of fancy on Incredible 2. Ice, however, displays pretty badly at the end of a chunk. The controls can be claustrophobic in some situations, but I think it'd help if you could set the FOV back a bit like on the PC version. I've felt that setting my FOV up to 90 really improves my Creative experience without adding any fisheye or anything like that.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I'm one of the people who's had it on the Xperia Play for a little while, and I was wondering, is there anything I can do to revert the update? I figured updating it would be for the better, because naturally they wouldn't remove Xperia Play compatibility or make it a worse product on the devices that COULD run it before, but apparently they have? What I've noticed so far: original Minecraft sounds have been replaced with lower quality ones, I get way more lag for the same quality and, like mentioned, can't figure out how the gently caress I'm supposed to reconfigure it to use my Play controller like it did before.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I hope Notch stays inspired to keep working on the game like he has been lately.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Is it just me or is it really, really hard to gain levels in 1.9 PR3? I've been playing this whole evening and I got halfway through level 4 before a ghast blew me off a cliff straight into lava. Playing on hard, if it matters.

Even if you do get back to your stuff, it seems like you only get half your experience back at most.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Joda posted:

I'm one of the people who's had it on the Xperia Play for a little while, and I was wondering, is there anything I can do to revert the update? I figured updating it would be for the better, because naturally they wouldn't remove Xperia Play compatibility or make it a worse product on the devices that COULD run it before, but apparently they have? What I've noticed so far: original Minecraft sounds have been replaced with lower quality ones, I get way more lag for the same quality and, like mentioned, can't figure out how the gently caress I'm supposed to reconfigure it to use my Play controller like it did before.

Well, they're going from code tailored to one specific set of hardware to code designed to run on a variety of hardware. Since they can't do device specific tricks, it's gonna knock the performance down a bit. Not sure about downgrading though, I have a WebOS phone(HP :argh:).

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008
Just started playing again. I was messing around in creative earlier, I put in the seed somethingawful, and it generated a world with massive mountains, with vast cave systems. It was awesome. Gonna go explore more and see what I can find.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Subbz posted:

Just started playing again. I was messing around in creative earlier, I put in the seed somethingawful, and it generated a world with massive mountains, with vast cave systems. It was awesome. Gonna go explore more and see what I can find.

Just a heads up that's basically every seed now.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Endermen foiling my schemes again :argh:

Found one near my house in an open field, no corner to hide in to easily fend him off. I locked eyes with him, then jumped backwards into the ocean. It ignored me. I kept looking at it, locking gazes, turning away, and it continued to ignore me, starting to teleport around out of my sight just to further the taunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So you guys playing the 1.9, are Enderman a lot rarer now? Because they sound like they are more annoying with them taking 5 (wtf) hearts off per hit, than they were then when they were just messing up things we build