Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Foxhound posted:

I feel like I hosed up my game.
Killed the guy who gives you the flask by mistake (nudged R1 and punched him for no damage and he died). Died a few times with a lot of souls in Undead Burg and Parish and now I need to go into the underground but the ghosts are kicking my rear end and I'm about to run out of the item that makes me able to hit them. :(

You're not doing anything wrong. If your rear end is getting kicked in one place, look around for somewhere more mild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

How common is gold pine resin?

I'm in the very beginning of the game (Undead Burg) and I don't know if I should use it on that knight that overlooks the dragon or if it's something I should save for a boss

edit: actually I'm not even sure how long it lasts. Is it until death or just some time period?

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

What level are you? As long as he gave you the flask and the key, it doesn't matter if he dies he kills himself anyway.

I think you're sequence breaking here. Did you beat the gargoyles?

I'm not sure you can sequence break in this game. You just try out different areas and if you get your poo poo pushed in then, welp, better go somewhere else!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Stiggs posted:

I'm not sure you can sequence break in this game. You just try out different areas and if you get your poo poo pushed in then, welp, better go somewhere else!

Master Key can get you places way before you're meant to. But yeah, I don't think he should be loving with the ghosts just yet.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Foxhound posted:

I feel like I hosed up my game.
Killed the guy who gives you the flask by mistake (nudged R1 and punched him for no damage and he died). Died a few times with a lot of souls in Undead Burg and Parish and now I need to go into the underground but the ghosts are kicking my rear end and I'm about to run out of the item that makes me able to hit them. :(

The first issue literally makes no difference. The second issue is just a fact of life. The third issue shouldn't be an issue because you don't go there till much later in the game, if you need to go to blight town there isn't even a way to there through the ghosts.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

charismaslover posted:

Whoa they can damage each other!? :aaa:

Either that or Knight Solaire decided to turn on the turbo, aha.

Also, use Knight Solaire. Once you double-teamed the first one, leave him and go for the second.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

evilalien posted:

The shield is pretty cool. You can throw it and it does damage based on the weapon in your right hand. I've seen it hit for over 1K damage.

Do I just get any shield to +10 to make this?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Am I missing something, or are there no loving bonfires in the catacombs? I made it all way to the wheel skeletons and haven't found more than the first.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
There has to be a better way to farm humanity other than the rats in the Depths. Even with the item finding ring which brings my item discovery up to 300, I still only get 1 humanity out of maybe 20 kills.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I'd recommend the Futurepress guide. It's like 400 pages and would literally answer every question in this thread. It's got a badass cover and it's hard bound too!

Lagos
Mar 17, 2004

Hates Loud Noise
So I decided to go with magic spear (as opposed to sword or "spear and magic helmet"). What made my choice for me was noticing that while you can still block while using a spear just as in Demon's Souls, it looks like in dark souls, it doesn't cost any more stamina to do so than a regular spear strike.

Unfortunately, after getting my spear to +5 and trying to modify it, I found that there's no option to make a magic spear, only a divine one, which scales off faith instead of int.

Are there similar limitations with regards to weapon types that can get various enchants in Dark Souls as in Demon's Souls? I haven't seen this listed anywhere.

Even in Demon's Souls spears could be 'mooned'.

I suppose I'll just have to suck it up and use this spear for the butterfly weapon later.

EDIT: Nevermind. I think what I need to do is find the goddamn magic ember which is, uh, rather expensive, I understand?

Lagos fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 7, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

The.GreyWolf posted:

I'd recommend the Futurepress guide. It's like 400 pages and would literally answer every question in this thread. It's got a badass cover and it's hard bound too!

I keep saying this but no one is listening!

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

The first issue literally makes no difference. The second issue is just a fact of life. The third issue shouldn't be an issue because you don't go there till much later in the game, if you need to go to blight town there isn't even a way to there through the ghosts.

Thanks all who responded. I did hit the bell at the top of the church after the gargoyles.

Oh, I thought the way to the second bell was through the ghost-infested area. I'll look around for another path then, thanks!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Vanguard Warden posted:

Am I missing something, or are there no loving bonfires in the catacombs? I made it all way to the wheel skeletons and haven't found more than the first.

There is one but its hidden behind a fake wall. Remember the lever you pushed to make the spikey walkway turn? Well right down that ladder to the right IIRC is the secret wall. There should be a trapped maiden statue right next to it. Hit the wall and the bonfire should be right through there.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Lagos posted:

So I decided to go with magic spear (as opposed to sword or "spear and magic helmet"). What made my choice for me was noticing that while you can still block while using a spear just as in Demon's Souls, it looks like in dark souls, it doesn't cost any more stamina to do so than a regular spear strike.
Instead it just seems to consume a lot more stamina than I remember it doing in Demon's Souls. I do not like spears very well in this one but maybe I am imagining things.

Had a lot of fun with estocs though!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Just some general combat guidelines:

When you first encounter a boss or miniboss, don't even think about attacking. I literally just run around watching them for a while learning their tells. It makes life so much easier.

When you're fighting in narrow corridors, hug the left hand wall. The enemy will whiff their attacks off the walls and you won't whiff yours (if you use a thrusting weapon this isn't an issue, but I do it anyway).

I seem to get better returns from upgrading my gear then going for level-ups. Generally I'll level up three or four pieces of gear before I level up.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I joined the Chaos covenant to try the fireball spell, then I went to firelink and joined Way of White and I can still cast Great Chaos Fireball. I don't know if this means all the covenant rewards are permanent, but not all rewards will disappear.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!

The.GreyWolf posted:

This will be the first game I've ever bought a guide for.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
How do you beat moonlight butterfly as melee?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
^^^ Wait until he lands then own him.

Lagos posted:

Unfortunately, after getting my spear to +5 and trying to modify it, I found that there's no option to make a magic spear, only a divine one, which scales off faith instead of int.

Are there similar limitations with regards to weapon types that can get various enchants in Dark Souls as in Demon's Souls? I haven't seen this listed anywhere.

I suppose I'll just have to suck it up and use this spear for the butterfly weapon later.

Check out this image: http://i.imgur.com/FIYKN.jpg

If you're finding you can't make Magic weapons, you may not have the right ember, or you may be at the wrong blacksmith or both.

Wizard of Wang
Aug 8, 2004
I love and hate this game. It sucks because I can't afford to buy it so I am currently renting it from RedBox. I'll put it down for a little bit then get the itch to play again. I think I am going to try and do the Undead Parish and find a drat bonfire.

Lagos
Mar 17, 2004

Hates Loud Noise

Rascyc posted:

Instead it just seems to consume a lot more stamina than I remember it doing in Demon's Souls. I do not like spears very well in this one but maybe I am imagining things.

Had a lot of fun with estocs though!

Yeah, it's not cheap. But it's only slightly more expensive than a longsword swing.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Pierson posted:

Heading down into Blighttown for the first third sixth time. I'm unsure about how to get my resist any higher. I rolled as a Knight so my starting armour has better poison resist than the set the one merchant I have found (Undead Berg) sells, and it seems a bit of a waste to throw all my souls into leveling Resistance stat.

Any advice? I am starting to hate that little ticking yellow bar more than anything else.

I'm at the point where you're at, and no matter what I do the best solution is simply: don't get it, remember where the dart blowers spawn and buy a TON of Blooming Purple Moss. Remember to keep your shield up at all goddamn times since you won't get an insta-toxic if you manage to block the darts.

Sorry I haven't been active in the thread more, but I've pretty much holed myself up to play this game trying to carve my own way through it. There's a lot of mythbusting to do and I'm probably going to tweak the OP quite a bit when I'm through, but I have at least one concrete answer to a fairly useful question: Poise simply measures hyper armor, or what kind of hits you can take before you get knocked out of 'offensive' animations - attacking, using Est/items, running - and doesn't affect your dodge animations at all. It seems like my hunch was right that it's best to start with lighter armor for dodging, and then graduate to heavier armors when you have high enough Endurance for a dodge AND hyper armor.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Lagos posted:

Are you trying to upgrade at the right place? I don't recall offhand if the guy who upgrades to magic also does divine.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

GreatGreen posted:

Lovely, I'm just over an hour in and already getting frustrated! How to am I supposed to beat the huge bull-goat boss guy on top of the tower wall in the Undead Burg?

Is there any trick to it or do you just get stun-locked to death and that's the rest of the game forever?

My strategy was to take out the dudes on top of the tower above the fog wall as soon as you enter through it, then trigger the boss and sprint to the ladder immediately as he appears. I did a descending attack on him from the tower (he basically sits there like an idiot, I don't believe he can jump up, but do it quickly just in case), then sprinted across the bridge and waited for him. Once he did a jumping slash (he usually will, but be wary of him telegraphing other moves), I dodge rolled under him and sprinted back to the tower, and then repeated it once or twice more till he was at a sliver of health. I just slashed him once to finish him off.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Lagos posted:

EDIT: Nevermind. I think what I need to do is find the goddamn magic ember which is, uh, rather expensive, I understand?

Yeah you have to find the ember first before the blacksmith can create magic weapons. It's not expensive. You find it, uh...somewhere in the game.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
Where am I supposed to go after ringing the first bell at the Undead Parish? Below the Firelink Shrine? I get hosed up by the two first enemies in The Valley of Drakes and there's a ton of ghosts that I can't seem to kill in Anor Londo

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Can you rejoin the Blades of the Darkmoon if you accidentally walk through the portal?

Like if I get my sins absolved, will it reset it?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So, um, once you beat the Taurus Demon, but can't get across the bridge below because of the huge dragon that will kill you if you even think about it... where do you go next?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

So, um, once you beat the Taurus Demon, but can't get across the bridge below because of the huge dragon that will kill you if you even think about it... where do you go next?

You can make it halfway across the bridge and go down the stairs in an alcove on the right side.

feraltennisprodigy posted:

Where am I supposed to go after ringing the first bell at the Undead Parish? Below the Firelink Shrine? I get hosed up by the two first enemies in The Valley of Drakes and there's a ton of ghosts that I can't seem to kill in Anor Londo

There's a Basement Key down the steps from the main entrance of the church. Use it to open the door on the far end opposite the Red Dragon.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Jetpack Postman posted:

I'm at the point where you're at, and no matter what I do the best solution is simply: don't get it, remember where the dart blowers spawn and buy a TON of Blooming Purple Moss. Remember to keep your shield up at all goddamn times since you won't get an insta-toxic if you manage to block the darts.
Thanks man, who sells it? So far I've found a grand total of four merchants that sell things and I don't recall any of them selling that.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Megasabin posted:

Do I just get any shield to +10 to make this?

I'm not sure. My guess would be a small shield since the resulting shield is a small shield.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

Under the bridge :smug:

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Where does the Pyro merchant go after you rescue him? I'm looking up and down Firelink Shrine and can't seem to find him.

GreatGreen posted:

You run across the bridge. :shepface:

There's a stairway to the right about half-way up the bridge. Take off all your armor, make sure you're at full health, and book it. You're going to get hit at least once but you should be able to make it in before his second attack.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

qbert posted:

There's a Basement Key down the steps from the main entrance of the church. Use it to open the door on the far end opposite the Red Dragon.

I was just down there and killed the Capra Demon, forgot to mention that. I think that I might have gotten another key when I killed him?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

feraltennisprodigy posted:

I was just down there and killed the Capra Demon, forgot to mention that. I think that I might have gotten another key when I killed him?

Yes, now go down the stairs to the left of the room where you fought him and you'll find the door that key unlocks.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Pierson posted:

Thanks man, who sells it? So far I've found a grand total of four merchants that sell things and I don't recall any of them selling that.

That lady zombie behind the bars in the aqueduct near Firelink Shrine sells those for about 800 souls, I believe. You need to have visited the area that allows you to unlock the gate from behind that allows you to get to her, so you may want to do some exploring in order to find that shortcut. If anyone can remember where it leads, please post because I can't remember it off-hand and I'm too far stuck in Blighttown in order to check right away.

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

So, I've played for about an hour and I'm having alot of fun with the game. I'm just wondering if there are lots of loot/armor in the game further ahead? So far I haven't gotten much yet. I love to dress my guy up in different outfits, and I think DS also had lots of different sets? Currently playing a Knight, and I saw during some screen that there were an Onion helmet of some kind in the game. Anyone seen that one?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Jetpack Postman posted:

That lady zombie behind the bars in the aqueduct near Firelink Shrine sells those for about 800 souls, I believe. You need to have visited the area that allows you to unlock the gate from behind that allows you to get to her, so you may want to do some exploring in order to find that shortcut. If anyone can remember where it leads, please post because I can't remember it off-hand and I'm too far stuck in Blighttown in order to check right away.

You unlock it from the Lower Undead Burg area past the boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

qbert posted:

Yes, now go down the stairs to the left of the room where you fought him and you'll find the door that key unlocks.

There's a staircase there? :psyduck: drat, didn't see that at all. Thanks! Back to the game now!

• Locked thread