Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Cold Day posted:

Atmospheric BM ... I suggest looking through Youtube clips before getting anything you are recommended.

What he said ^^

Start with something like this, I actually tend to enjoy these types of YouTube postings even if it is hard to define the different genres, you get a quick glimpse of many different projects and something is bound to catch your attention ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgO-GQBmL3w

I've probably discovered half the BM projects I listen to from the side bar after listening to something I already like.

Oh, and give Alatyr a shot. I think they can be defined as Atmospheric BM.

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Sexbomb posted:

Here's a bm band from my area - Yaotl Mictlan. I'm not sure if they've been mentioned yet in the thread, but they are a Spanish-speaking bm band themed around the Aztecs. They're pretty excellent live, too. If my friends in Winterlore ever get their demo recorded, I'll see if I can't sneak some of that on here too.

Yaotl Mictlan - Huelitiyotl Mexica
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jpnCJJ9mMM

Sorry if this is a repost, though.

These guys are awesome.

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Happy Friday Goonkvlt!

Fans of Black Metal, Tennessee, and nasty southern sludge should check out this "name your price" download from Battle Path.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is it weird of me to dislike moshing/jumping around like a madman at a black metal show? To me it's all about the atmosphere the music creates and the above doesn't seem like it gels to well. It's hard and fast but nothing along the lines of thrash. Headbanging and poo poo, yeah, of course.

I ask because I recently saw Enslaved and there was some huge overweight guy screaming his balls off and going a bit overboard.

I also have to say Enslaved did some of the cheesiest stuff but it was hilarious, like the lead guitarist standing up on some box his roadies setup, playing the guitar like he was in a 80's hair band with the lead guy coming up behind him, back to back and riffing away. Truly hilarious to see in person.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
New album october 2011 ...

Evilfeast - Wintermoon Enchantment

Literally just came out, here is a sample I havn't even gotten to hear any other songs yet ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67gB0L6Xf_A

Hrafn
Feb 17, 2010
So apparently Varg is pulling a George Lucas and is releasing a set of re-recordings of old Burzum tracks recorded "the way he originally intended!!":

http://www.plastichead.com/catalogue.asp?ex=fitem&verb=F&target=BYE009CD

Should be interesting, though I'm not expecting much.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Is it weird of me to dislike moshing/jumping around like a madman at a black metal show? To me it's all about the atmosphere the music creates and the above doesn't seem like it gels to well. It's hard and fast but nothing along the lines of thrash. Headbanging and poo poo, yeah, of course.

I ask because I recently saw Enslaved and there was some huge overweight guy screaming his balls off and going a bit overboard.

I hate this, and I always manage to end up right next to that one fat guy who decides to spaz out. I can't concentrate on the music when you're repeatedly throwing yourself at me.

Even the most aggressive BM is more about concentrated, pent up, controlled hate for me.

Speaking of Yaotl Mictlan, while browsing Metal Archives by country I found this folk band from Peru:
http://youtu.be/XB8vPFektzg

For those of you who've wondered how metal and pan flutes mix.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Hrafn posted:

So apparently Varg is pulling a George Lucas and is releasing a set of re-recordings of old Burzum tracks recorded "the way he originally intended!!":

http://www.plastichead.com/catalogue.asp?ex=fitem&verb=F&target=BYE009CD

Should be interesting, though I'm not expecting much.

If he wanted to go back and re-release old material, he should have done Daudi Baldrs and Hlidskalf. Actually, I bet that those will be the 2012 and 2013 albums. I guess being a farmer doesn't pay what it used to.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

RHTITE posted:

If he wanted to go back and re-release old material, he should have done Daudi Baldrs and Hlidskalf. Actually, I bet that those will be the 2012 and 2013 albums. I guess being a farmer doesn't pay what it used to.

Does Norway have Son of Sam laws? He could make bank doin some sort of biography or tell-all book. It sure doesn't seem like he's above selling out these days. (Not that I blame anyone for selling out if someone's buying.)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

He could write "I founded a white supremacist prison organization" too. I imagine that would sell well.

Or he could do infomercials endorsing knives.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

IRQ posted:

Does Norway have Son of Sam laws? He could make bank doin some sort of biography or tell-all book.

Dude owes some stupid amount of money in damages for burning down historic church buildings so anything he makes would in theory mostly be confiscated by the state, although I guess there's the possibility of pulling various accounting tricks.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Check out Mar de Grises, Moonsorrow, and Enslaved.

I will vouch any time for Moonsorrow's latest album. It's currently my 'of the year' for 2011.

If there's an emerging taste for melodic black metal in a new listener, I'd also recommend 3 of Dimmu Borgir's albums- Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, Spiritual Black Dimensions and Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. Death Cult Armageddon's ok as well, but I wouldn't recommend anything after that. Especially the crap they put out this year.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Craft loving rules, that is all.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Weaponized Cum posted:

Craft loving rules, that is all.

Truth.

Also, I've had Sacrilegious Impalement's II - Exalted Spectres basically on repeat all week. Such a killer album.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
Anyone got some suggestions off Nykta ?

Also, Hinsidig is pretty awesome ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0aARyr_oR4&feature=related

I gotta throw these guys out here too, Forn Valdyrheim ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2riBs7RGnw&feature=related

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 15, 2011

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I love that its turning to fall, it means its time to break out all my black metal and enjoy the season. I gotta remind you all that old school Nachtmystium is absolutely bone crushing and everyone should listen to Demise and Eulogy IV.

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood

Not Very Metal posted:

Also, I've had Sacrilegious Impalement's II - Exalted Spectres basically on repeat all week. Such a killer album.

3rd track, Enter Godhood is loving amazing; i've had that main riff stuck in my head the entire week.

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Had an interesting essay featured on my blog today from contributor Sean McDonnell. Two hints, it's about Liturgy and why their singer's philosophy is silly.

Agree or Disagree, feel free to read on here.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

West posted:

Had an interesting essay featured on my blog today from contributor Sean McDonnell. Two hints, it's about Liturgy and why their singer's philosophy is silly.

Agree or Disagree, feel free to read on here.

I just listened to Liturgy's Aesthetica for the first time and... maybe I just don't get it. It sounded absolutely awful to me. The "wall of sound" thing sounds terrible compared to other bands that do the same thing, and the melodies are just grating and annoying. And I read the singer's manifesto on "transcendental black metal" too and he just strikes me as an insufferable self-righteous prick.

...am I alone here? I've heard people praise Aesthetica as their favorite album of 2011 so far, but I'm just baffled.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

QPZIL posted:

...am I alone here? I've heard people praise Aesthetica as their favorite album of 2011 so far, but I'm just baffled.

I don't know what they're doing with their guitars, but the tone is loving obnoxious. Maybe they're having a keyboard play on exactly the same beats as the guitars but I would rather hear silence than listen to this anymore.

I've got other bands in my pile that play the wall of sound deal and none of them sound this awful. The vocals are especially grating.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Morbid Florist posted:

I've got other bands in my pile that play the wall of sound deal and none of them sound this awful. The vocals are especially grating.

Share please. You've never recommended anything bad.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

QPZIL posted:

Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy1Ob9RuPFY

owns

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

QPZIL posted:

I just listened to Liturgy's Aesthetica for the first time and... maybe I just don't get it. It sounded absolutely awful to me. The "wall of sound" thing sounds terrible compared to other bands that do the same thing, and the melodies are just grating and annoying. And I read the singer's manifesto on "transcendental black metal" too and he just strikes me as an insufferable self-righteous prick.

I liked Renihilation a lot, but Aesthetica didn't grab me at all. I also made the mistake of reading their "manifesto," and it just seemed like a bunch of half-baked ideas reinforced by the writer going to the little drop-down thesaurus box on MS Word and choosing the biggest word he can find for everything. Seriously, who the gently caress calls an introduction a "prologomenon?"

I saw them play an exhibit at MoMA, followed by a Q&A session. Hearing HHH defend his views on "transcendental" black metal to a room full of academics was straight-up painful. Dude should get punched in the throat.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Ain't no way a motherfucker with a name like Hunter Hunt-Hendrix and a look like Kurt Cobain is gonna write some loving good Black Metal. Some things are just easy to spot at first glance. This Averse Sefira member sums them up nicely: http://aversesefira.blogspot.com/2011/08/pretenders.html

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

QPZIL posted:

Not something I listen to enough to even remember a band name. It's not the end of black metal that grabs me so it sits in a folder on my computer, unlooked at for the most part. Someday if I'm looking through my poo poo for something different and I find one I'll try and keep you in mind ;)

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

RHTITE posted:

"Depressive" Black Metal is a serious cul de sac when it comes to musical quality. Most of it resides on the same level as any sad song you'd hear on the radio, just with more pointless interludes and distortion. It's generally pretty boring. You're better off going for stuff where the band explores that despair and from there, looks to something higher than wallowing in personal drama. The best bet for this is the first 4 Burzum albums.

Christ, someone has spent a little too much time on anus.com.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Gamest Mook posted:

Christ, someone has spent a little too much time on anus.com.

It's a bit analytical for black metal discussion but I agree with the sentiment. Depressive black metal does sound like a soundtrack to a weepy teenager swinging his fists at empty space cause he can't take the rejection of life. When I hear it, it makes me snicker to myself.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Morbid Florist posted:

It's a bit analytical for black metal discussion but I agree with the sentiment. Depressive black metal does sound like a soundtrack to a weepy teenager swinging his fists at empty space cause he can't take the rejection of life. When I hear it, it makes me snicker to myself.

That description would encapsulate all the nu-metal through the 90's. I about had the same reaction.

RHTITE posted:

Ain't no way a motherfucker with a name like Hunter Hunt-Hendrix and a look like Kurt Cobain is gonna write some loving good Black Metal. Some things are just easy to spot at first glance. This Averse Sefira member sums them up nicely: http://aversesefira.blogspot.com/2011/08/pretenders.html

I've never listened to Liturgy or Averse Sefira, but that tear-down was very entertaining to read.

5er fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 21, 2011

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood

RHTITE posted:

They're especially boring live. They played in Olympia a few months back at the Northern with a couple other bands. Couldn't stand to watch their entire set.

fozzie dunlop posted:

I liked Renihilation a lot, but Aesthetica didn't grab me at all.

Aesthetica is a garbled mess.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Yo I am listening to A Blaze In The Northern Sky and it owns, I've got this Mayhem album with a funny name as well, De Mystreiiis Som Agwaya or something and it owns, I also got this Emperor album that I don't like, its got loads of synths and is a bit overblown sounding. What cool stuff should I listen to? I don't know anything about this music except they all wear rad makeup and are murderers. I defos like this stuff that almost borders on hardcore punk and a bit stripped down more than the stuff that sounds like big orchestras (my friend once loaned me a Dimmu Borgir album and I didn't really like that either).

Help me find some sweet as hell brutal tunes please!

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

yo sounds like you got the last emperor album. Try this one instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgQRRI9goFg

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

spe posted:

Help me find some sweet as hell brutal tunes please!

First off listen to every other Darkthrone album ever because they rule. Then listen to some Burzum. He's the dude that burned down all those churches and stabbed the Mayhem guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wqVA66qTNc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ar624HUZOs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6ATBJw3RrA

I have a soft spot for oldschool Gorgoroth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nf_zOPMQYQ

And yeah Immortal are pretty cool guys too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32n1AK6o5i0

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Black Metal is the most Metal of all the Metals. I can't get enough of this Darkthrone album its the cats tits.

These are all cool youtubes and I am enjoying that emperor tune more than this album I've got here.

fozzie dunlop: Cheers especially for those Burzums, I thought all of that guys solo stuff was boring spooky synth music he made in prison, I didn't know he had cool brutal songs as well!

I'm gonna go back to my friend for more stuff but I think I will buy this Northern Sky album its freakin sweet!

A lot of this music reminds me of punk in its speed + riffs except it is hella theatrical and has blast beats.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Oh it's punky you want? Akitsa, Ildjarn, Dodsferd, Pest, Satanic Warmaster.

I'll bother making a proper post when I get back from the pub.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Gr31lly posted:

Dodsferd

holy poo poo, awesome.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Sorry mate, none of them are doing it for me, its a bit too punk. My favourite black metal tune so far is probably that song dunlop linked, "Jesus' Tod (cos he's got no friends)". I listened to tons of punk for years and those tunes sound like proper bog standard punk tunes with black metal screeching on top, I like it a bit faster and I especially like how repetitive and simplistic that burzum song is.

Repetition is probably the most brutal technique in music, play the most technical & heavy thing in the world and it still won't hold a candle to the same riff being played for 8 minutes solid.

Dunno what brought that up, but its probably true!

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Gr31lly posted:

Oh it's punky you want? Akitsa, Ildjarn, Dodsferd, Pest, Satanic Warmaster.

I'll bother making a proper post when I get back from the pub.

Great post! I'm a sucker for this type of thing. I like Bone Awl but I think they're kind of... divisive. Which is a nice way of saying people tell me it's bad. I bought Meaningless Leaning Mess on LP in a record store and really liked it. v:shobon:v

Please post more of this for me. I prefer it because I came from strong punk and hardcore roots and it just hits that spot, I think.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

spe posted:

Repetition is probably the most brutal technique in music, play the most technical & heavy thing in the world and it still won't hold a candle to the same riff being played for 8 minutes solid.

Dunno what brought that up, but its probably true!

Drop everything you're doing and go get Darkthrone's Transilvanian Hunger. You'll loving love it.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Yeah, I was just gonna do an overall view of stuff, that's basic punky black metal (and most of it recent). But all black metal is pretty raw anyway

Bands basically everyone should listen to:
Ancient - What, Ancient, really? Yep. Those gothic, vampiric fairies. Their first album is an absolute classic and anyone who denies that is probably doing so purely as a result of what followed.
Antaeus - Everyone likes a piece of raw aggression and nothing but aggression, but here's the band you should listen to instead of Anaal Nathraak, 1349 or even worse, Dark Funeral.
Bathory - I shouldn't have to explain this and I'm not going to.
Blasphemy - Stripped to bones bare, the inventors of "war" metal. Imitated by Black Witchery and countless other clones that will never ever approach them in quality.
Beherit - Evolved from raw black metal into something greater, incorporating doomy riffs and electronics into later albums.
Dissection - Blech, I prefer Sacramentum and Vinterland, but really, Dissection are definitely the band you'll get weirder looks for not having heard of.
Inquisition - Ritualistic, riff driven, repetitive, croaking vocals.
Grand Belial's Key - The USA has produced a lot of black metal bands and most of them are laughably bad. This one however, rules.
Necromantia - Necromantia come from Greece where guitars haven't been invented yet. No wait that's bullshit, they just play everything on bass because it's cooler that way.
Hellhammer - See Bathory.
Profanatica - Another good US band.
Samael - Before Samael became a pretty poor imitation of Coil (Ulver did this too!) they played some really drat good black metal.
Sarcofago - See Bathory, Hellhammer.
Kvist - This, to my ears, is what Emperor could have been if someone had stolen their keyboards before it was too late. Raw emotion.
Varathron - Greek masters. Hellenic black metal is somewhat different to the rest of the world's and Varathron's is even somewhat different to their peers.
Tormentor - Should be far better known than just "what Attila did before mayhem".
Mortuary Drape - Along with Death SS, Bulldozer and Necrodeath, the Italian bastions.
Barathrum H.E.I.L. S.O.V.A. occult, drug-driven music, as a lot of finnish bm is.
Ulver - should probably be listened to just to see (d)evolution in action.
Svartsyn - some bands just pump out quality album after quality album. Until 2011, Svartsyn were one of those bands. Split with Arckanum is one of the gems of Swedish BM. They still had it as recently as 2007, so let's hope it comes back.
Negative Plane - a relative newcomer, but a welcome one. The band hark back to so many older bands its hard to appreciate all their influences. Majestic stuff though.

I'll cut it (massively) short there for the moment, but Darkthrone fans should definitely listen to Judas Iscariot, Craft and especially Armagedda. Though the issue isn't a lack of clones, but a lack of quality ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Woah! Cheers dude, I am gonna listen to all these mother fuckers, I'm smashing in Antaeus right now and its helping me prep for round 2, get some cold fuckin brutality in your life!!! I need to see some of these fuckers live on stage.