Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The editor of that block'em toss'em robots article was in the comments reminding people that it was engine block casings, not engine blocks. But not qualifying anything else, like how you catch one without damaging it and still making a huge clanging sound, and how much power you'd need to huck one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Did he.....say what the hell an engine block casing is?

Or are we talking about a lower end? Cause I've never heard that referred to as a engine block casing.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 5, 2011

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Lowclock posted:

I don't think we really need to analyze the physics behind some stupid fake news article, do we? It's just meant to make you laugh, and it even fails at that.

I can't help but analyze the physics behind it, it's a compulsion.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Z3n posted:

randian randian randian randian randian I hate libertarians :spergin:

did you lose a debate in D&D?

Here's a friend of mine's NP242 transfer case:

Something seized and the case became two case halves...

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

That smug-rear end Amazon box totally makes this picture.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

kastein posted:

did you lose a debate in D&D?

Here's a friend of mine's NP242 transfer case:

Something seized and the case became two case halves...

Time for an Atlas II

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I forget what he replaced it with. Probably another $75 used NP242/231.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Where the hell do you get an NP242 for $75?! They go for over 200 here all day long!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I can pick up 231s and 242s on jeep forums around here for ~50-75 all day, or 100-130 if I need one ASAP and go to the junkyard. Where are you? I'm in the rust belt stateside, so jeeps go to the scrapper here long before the drivetrain is worn out. Hell I've bought multiple 4.0L engines and never paid over $160, never paid more than 100 for a transmission or axle either.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

EightBit posted:

Time for an Atlas II

...shrugged :forkbomb:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

kastein posted:

I can pick up 231s and 242s on jeep forums around here for ~50-75 all day, or 100-130 if I need one ASAP and go to the junkyard. Where are you? I'm in the rust belt stateside, so jeeps go to the scrapper here long before the drivetrain is worn out. Hell I've bought multiple 4.0L engines and never paid over $160, never paid more than 100 for a transmission or axle either.

Part of me hates you for the cheap replacement parts, and the rest of me wouldn't move to the rust belt for anything.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Cakefool posted:

Also, there is no telemetry, it's ballistics.
It's also almost certainly not a belt coming out of a furnace, but a chain conveyor of some sort.

Terminology seems to be all over which likely makes it fiction, but picturing it in my head is still somewhat humorous.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

slidebite posted:

It's also almost certainly not a belt coming out of a furnace, but a chain conveyor of some sort.

Terminology seems to be all over which likely makes it fiction, but picturing it in my head is still somewhat humorous.

I'll admit I did pay a little more attention than normal to our Kawasakis today...

ZombieLicker
Jan 3, 2008

by T. Finn
1998 ford taurus front right inner brake pad.

:stare:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

ZombieLicker posted:

Hey I remember where I left my socket wrench when I changed the wheel now.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

ZombieLicker posted:

What did the rotor look like?

EDIT: Wait, is the pad down with the metal plate up?

Guy Random
Oct 22, 2010
That looks like what happens when one side of the pad hangs up in the caliper "slides" or whatever you want to call it. Happened on a rear caliper of my very first car an RX-7 that I stumbled into and new nothing about at the age of 16. It made quite the unusual sound with very light braking. Easy fix though considering the sound.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

EightBit posted:

Part of me hates you for the cheap replacement parts, and the rest of me wouldn't move to the rust belt for anything.

Stay where you are... it's not worth it...

Say, isn't there supposed to be a lower control arm mount somewhere on here?

(what is normally a 2-3 inch wide piece of 10ga steel plate on each side of the bracket had rusted down till it had approximately a 3/4" by 1/16" section of metal holding it on each side. I hit a rock about the size of a curb while braking and it sheared off.)

Of course, a friend of mine had recently parted out his jeep for a variety of reasons including rust issues, and he gave me his dana 30 for free because it needed seals and axleshafts :woop: so I had it ready to go 4-wheeling again by the next weekend.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Fire Storm posted:

What did the rotor look like?

EDIT: Wait, is the pad down with the metal plate up?

That's how it looks.

I'm pretty sure the pad would fracture, not bend.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Arrived at the shop the other day to find this in the parking lot:

And the money shot:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Man, somebody managed to break an Intrepid :( . One with fairly new tires, even. Always liked those cars (parents owned two - no problems with the first one until mom ran a red light and shortened it by a few feet, second one has lasted forever with no issues). I love the "spray" of grease; "money shot" indeed.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Root Bear posted:

Arrived at the shop the other day to find this in the parking lot:

[broken Intrepid]

That happened on my '95 Eagle Vision when I was 16. I was just pulling out of my friend's driveway when it went *pop*. Apparently it's a common failure on the LH cars.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I saw a 929 do that once, but it was a ball joint that sheared along the pin.

Kashekya
Dec 11, 2003

Pillbug

Previa_fun posted:

That happened on my '95 Eagle Vision when I was 16. I was just pulling out of my friend's driveway when it went *pop*. Apparently it's a common failure on the LH cars.

Yeah same thing on my mid 90's Concorde, the whole front end is just loving awful.

Had to replace a lower control arm once, the way they have those things mounted in there is unbelievable. That plus 6 years of midwest weather rust made it impossible to get the old one out normally, ended up cutting it in half with an angle grinder.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The last car I saw like that was driving along in that state. :gonk:

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Geirskogul posted:

Man, somebody managed to break an Intrepid :( . One with fairly new tires, even. Always liked those cars (parents owned two - no problems with the first one until mom ran a red light and shortened it by a few feet, second one has lasted forever with no issues). I love the "spray" of grease; "money shot" indeed.

Managed to break? The only ones I can find used are all blown head gasket nightmares.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Micromancer posted:

Managed to break? The only ones I can find used are all blown head gasket nightmares.

And I've seen them go 300k with no issues, but that doesn't mean they all will. Anecdotes =/= data in either case

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

The Scientist posted:

Among the latter, Dichloromethane is curious because not only is it a super volatile solvent, but (perhaps directly linked to this characteristic) its boiling point is so low it works awesome in heat engines (e.g. sterling engines). You know that weird little bird that rocks back and forth and "drinks" water from a cup with a bulb full of colored liquid? Its full of Dichloromethane. You know those bubble lights that you put on your christmas tree and one spontaneously exploded and stained the couch while everyone was outside on christmas day and no-one believed that you weren't even anywhere near it when it happened and blamed you? Dichloromethane.

Dichloromethane is fun to work with. It quite literally will dissolve certain plastic materials and is a common way to weld certain plastics together.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
So, a tow truck pulled up just as I was leaving work today:

What's that hanging down...

EDIT: \/\/\/ Chicagoland. Go figure. \/\/\/

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 12, 2011

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The funny part is, those rubber boots on everything look really new.

Did they drive it into the salt lake or something? Or is this just a casualty of salting roads? Where I live they use sand and gravel, never salt, so I don't really know.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Root Bear posted:

So, a tow truck pulled up just as I was leaving work today:

What's that hanging down...

EDIT: \/\/\/ Chicagoland. Go figure. \/\/\/

What is that that fell off?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

EightBit posted:

What is that that fell off?

The steering/swaybar, it looks like

Edit: VVVVVVV Holy poo poo you're right.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 12, 2011

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

That's the entire subframe which rusted through its mount and dropped on the ground.

SimulatedWoodgrain
Oct 6, 2006
I almost had the same thing happen on my Bonneville. Caught it before it could get that bad. The cradle rusts real nice around the rubber isolators.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I saw an E30 that was almost exactly like that. He brought it into the mechanic because it was "floaty". The entire front subframe was disconnected from the car.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

InitialDave posted:

The last car I saw like that was driving along in that state. :gonk:

I had a 98 corolla that the CV joint suddenly gave out on me suddenly while pulling out of my apartment complex. I popped the curb, took out a bus stop sign, got out of the car and just went, "WHAT THE gently caress?", put it in reverse and parked it back in my spot. Kind of forgot about it for a couple of days since I walked to work in the summer and I didn't really need to go anywhere. Then my roommate asked me to borrow the car to drive to the airport and I lent him the keys without even thinking about the fact that the wheels kind of looked like this | \ in the front. He drove it 15 miles to the airport like that. On the highway. And back when he came home. Didn't even ask me if there was anything wrong with the car when he gave me the keys either. :gonk:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

that's the whole subframe that holds the suspension arms, steering, etc. I think on some cars it may also hold the motor in.

I had a horrible failure last night, but it was more my horrible failure than a mechanical one. Angle grinder vs finger. WEAR THOSE LEATHER GLOVES GUYS, at least it gives you a split second longer before it starts eating tasty flesh.

:gonk: http://i52.tinypic.com/1zei2i8.jpg :gonk: (not safe for squeamish people)

at hostpital, almost lost fingat

e: fixed to not use imagecircus

kastein fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 12, 2011

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Finger looks fine to me

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

hahaha, I got bitten by the images-hack-us to imagewagon/imagebucket etc filter. Forgot about that, will upload using a less retarded host

I can't believe it gave a pic of a finger even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

kastein posted:

that's the whole subframe that holds the suspension arms, steering, etc. I think on some cars it may also hold the motor in.

I had a horrible failure last night, but it was more my horrible failure than a mechanical one. Angle grinder vs finger. WEAR THOSE LEATHER GLOVES GUYS, at least it gives you a split second longer before it starts eating tasty flesh.

:gonk: http://i52.tinypic.com/1zei2i8.jpg :gonk: (not safe for squeamish people)

at hostpital, almost lost fingat

e: fixed to not use imagecircus

Heh, I've done that, but hit my fingernail. Even through gloves, that absolute split second is enough time to eat the glove and cut a 1/4" slit into the fingernail and into the nail bed.

The poo poo hurts.