Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

der juicen posted:

Well, lets do the capra demon like bros then?

Done and done where do I go. Also this axe rules even if I can't use it. The two handed heavy swing animation has the shaft of the axe bend like the gargoyle's tail, BECAUSE IT IS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Are there any cons to buying this game used? Like, does it come with any DLC that I would be missing?

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

NESguerilla posted:

Capra Demon is loving bullshit.

I was stuck on this boss for about two hours and something that actually let me beat it was the drake sword . With that you can kill the demon in less than 10 hits. Just keep your shield up and attack from behind.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
I killed the dragon the correct way, with 500+ damage spears of lightning.

Is the coin the miracle trainer gives you at the start completely worthless? Because it seems like it so far.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 8, 2011

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Shadow225 posted:

Are there any cons to buying this game used? Like, does it come with any DLC that I would be missing?

Nope! I don't think there'll be any DLC at all, and if there is it will be cosmetic. I mean, they could have very easily made one of the optional bosses + cool walk through a familiar area (not related to Demon's Souls at all) DLC, but they didn't. It's just someplace you can go when you figure out how.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

RotationSurgeon posted:

Done and done where do I go. Also this axe rules even if I can't use it. The two handed heavy swing animation has the shaft of the axe bend like the gargoyle's tail, BECAUSE IT IS.

Go back to the burg where the dragon is. That's the way down. Also what level are you?

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Eff it! I'm going to beat Sen's Fortress tonight, right now! :byodood:

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

der juicen posted:

Go back to the burg where the dragon is. That's the way down. Also what level are you?

17 as of right now. Do you mean the locked door right before the bridge? I want to kill that dragon so badly.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Shadow225 posted:

Nope!

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

RotationSurgeon posted:

17 as of right now. Do you mean the locked door right before the bridge? I want to kill that dragon so badly.

Shir, you have to be 19 or 20 for me to help.

There is a locked door by the sunlight guy

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Just beat all the titanite demons in Sen's Fortress.

Feels good man.

Gonna plant my eyes of death right in the mud :unsmigghh:

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 8, 2011

Stumpus Maximus
Dec 15, 2007

Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
gently caress YEAH! Stray Demon down at SL22! he dropped 20k souls and a titanite slab. I feel so :black101: right now. I'm shaking lol

EDIT: Also, I ran into a funny noise near the church. It sounded like someone was snoring/sleeping or something. Was that a crystal gecko?

2nd Edit: I mean the church in the firelink shrine where the crow sits.

Stumpus Maximus fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 8, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Helped a few guys beat the Capra demon. So tired. Been grinding all day. :[

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

der juicen posted:

Shir, you have to be 19 or 20 for me to help.

There is a locked door by the sunlight guy

Question, how the hell am I supposed to get back across the dragon bridge with the dragon right there? Because I'm pretty sure it's just gonna roast me.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

RotationSurgeon posted:

Question, how the hell am I supposed to get back across the dragon bridge with the dragon right there? Because I'm pretty sure it's just gonna roast me.

shourtcut through the bridge/elevatot from girelink

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
welp, four humanity points gone because I got riposted by one of the caped knights. This pyromancy poo poo isn't really working out even if the fireball has been carrying me past bosses.

So far I'm a ways into the undead parish after a short and confusing trip through the darkroot basin.

RotationSurgeon posted:

eventually it jumps down to come after you and you can run past it.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~
How many arrows am I looking at to break this dragon's tail.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

RotationSurgeon posted:

Alot

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Did I horribly gimp myself by not taking the Master key? It seems crazy not to choose the Thief class.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Although I just got the poise ring, tossed on a mixture of Leather, Chainmail, the armor the Cape Knights use, and the Boar's Head. Hollow Soldier Shield + Drake's Sword made that boss a loving cakewalk.

I had a similar setup (base Knight armour with Boar's Head, Tower Kite Shield + 2 and Drake's Sword) and literally blundered into that room and beat it first try. Perhaps being level 25 made it too easy? I'm not sure what level I'm supposed to be here.

On another note, is it wise for me to be using my titanite shards on upgrading my shield? Should I be doing a weapon instead? I can't find anything much on google about reinforcing the shields.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Beat the Taurus Demon on my third try, at l. 14. First time I overlooked the ladder entirely and got massacred by the demon + archers. Second time I got one drop attack on him, then ate a hammer to the face when I rolled the wrong way. Third time finished him off with four drop attacks and only took one hit—he grazed me on the ladder when I was going up the third time. This was a very Shadow of the Colossus kind of fight. I love puzzle bosses that seem unbeatable the first time.

About how powerful should I be to take on those black knights around the Burg?

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.

Tgent posted:

I had a similar setup (base Knight armour with Boar's Head, Tower Kite Shield + 2 and Drake's Sword) and literally blundered into that room and beat it first try. Perhaps being level 25 made it too easy? I'm not sure what level I'm supposed to be here.

On another note, is it wise for me to be using my titanite shards on upgrading my shield? Should I be doing a weapon instead? I can't find anything much on google about reinforcing the shields.

Reinforcing your shields is a pretty good use of your souls, yeah. It can be the difference between getting your guard broken or not.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Just helped some dude through the sewers while I was down there farming.

The online is so rewarding in this game no that it seems to be working a little better. Something was seriously up with the first day the game came out because very rarely have I encountered people failing to connect to my game. Lots of fun, digging this system. Might go help some bros out and farm the boss in Blight Town.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Where's the key to open the door to the bonfire in the Depths? I unlocked it with the Master Key but I haven't seen a normal key that would unlock it. Master Key proved its worth this time for me.

Also random trip report but I got a baldur shield off those caped skeletons in the bell tower and it's like 7 stability more than the hallowed shield at the cost of 10% fire resist less. Pretty great trade from where I'm at, and it looks pretty nice too.

RotationSurgeon posted:

I've read anywhere between 10 to 50. It took me like 20 with a dex of 16 and a shortbow, it wasn't really as arduous as range killing the dragon back in Demon Souls. Note that the drake doesn't actually go away either.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Stumpus Maximus posted:

gently caress YEAH! Stray Demon down at SL22! he dropped 20k souls and a titanite slab. I feel so :black101: right now. I'm shaking lol

EDIT: Also, I ran into a funny noise near the church. It sounded like someone was snoring/sleeping or something. Was that a crystal gecko?

2nd Edit: I mean the church in the firelink shrine where the crow sits.

Probably Biorr. He always gets himself into some poo poo; he probably found his way into Lordren to take a nap and complain about dragons. In case you didn't play Demon's Souls, this is a Demon's Souls reference and I apologize for the shitpost. Or, maybe it's Onion Bro...? He's fat so he probably falls asleep a lot :-)

RotationSurgeon posted:

To get Drake Sword? Probably around 25 or so. Maybe upwards of 30-40 if you are very low level. Took me around 20 as Deprived, with (likely) the stats that matter at 11. Get it. It is such a great weapon. I avoided using it for the entirety of Undead Burg, though, since it is really overpowered that early in the game. Once you get to, say, Depths, it's appropriate to start using if you don't yet have a more preferable weapon.

enojy fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 8, 2011

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Oh my loving god, I just realized the potential of covenants. If enough people get far enough to join the covenants and start pvping, that is...

The potential from what I now know about them is incredibly cool and seems like a hell of a lot of fun. You have the capability to play as an assassin, gently caress with other people (I like the idea of the gravelord's ability immensely), and just customize your character's alignment however you see fit. I can't decide which one I want to go with now as a pyromancer. Chaos seems like the obvious choice but the Gravelord ability seems sweet too.

I mean, it just seems like it's going to be an entirely different game once the playerbase is all leveled up and joined in covenants.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I am honestly keeping my Covenants as simple as possible for my first playthrough. There's enough poo poo to worry about without having to check the wiki constantly trying to get the more elaborate ones.

I'll probably do White, Gwen, and then Sun cause Gold Ghostform while helping people is pretty rad. Plus lightning.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I liked the idea of the Chaos covenant having meganukes but I'd prefer to avoid head eggs. Instead I think I'm going to try the dragon route.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

a shameful boehner posted:

I liked the idea of the Chaos covenant having meganukes but I'd prefer to avoid head eggs. Instead I think I'm going to try the dragon route.

I accidentally joined this covenant, and am pleased to say that you can avoid the headeggs if you move quickly enough through choice areas. So far, the first and only area I've been through that can infect you is the hidden other-Queen-spider-lady area where you join the covenant. If you do happen to get infected in the process of joining, the servant there will give you a free antidote to remove it, and then sell them to you after that. They are also a rare drop off of any infected enemy -- lots to farm at the Demon Ruins bonfire.

Despite this, I think getting infected is the only reason to join this covenant, aside from the pyromancy nukes.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Since I'm an achievement/trophy whore, and there's one associated with joining each covenant, I've just been joining every one I come across, then unjoining via the dude in the Undead Parish church. So far I haven't incurred any penalty that I can see.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
I love this game so much.

Spent most of the day getting through the Depths and Blight Town. The depths weren't that bad except for the one time a rat tricked me into falling down a hole that got me surrounded by 4-5 frogs and cursed and murdered :shepface:

I actually had a harder time with the boss there than I was expecting. My first attempt I cut off his tail and got him down to about 10% health when I got stupid and died to his vomit attack. After that I just couldn't get him down past 50% for like, 7-8 tries. So I changed things up and de-hollowed, summoned Solaire and went at it again.

Turns out, as good as he is against the gargoyles, he is loving terrible on this fight! He died almost instantly and did almost no damage, the useless git.

That was still the attempt I managed to finally kill the boss on, though, so I guess he's my good luck charm.

Then I went in to Blight Town still in human form, found a summoning sign right at the start, and this dude with a sweet katana basically showed me the way alllllllllllllll the way down to Quelaag. At this point, I hadn't hit a bonfire since the one in the depths, so I was getting nervous as poo poo. When we got to the boss I was down to 1 flask charge and half health. I was super tempted to boot the guy so I could backtrack a bit and use the bonfire near her lair so I wouldn't have to make that horrible trek over again when I died, but I figured the dude had done me a huge solid and I owed it to him to at least try and get him something out of it.

So in we went. I was expecting to last a few seconds before getting roasted, but we ended up very quickly getting into a routine where one of use would slowly kite her around, barely staying out of her range while the other wailed on her rear end. It took a looooong time because I was doing piddly damage to the boss, but somehow I managed to get through the fight without getting hit a single time :smuggo:

Needless to say I sent the dude a thank you message afterward.

Then I spent the next hour farming green shards off those leeches. It went surprisingly quick since when they do drop them they drop 5 at a time.

On the way back out I grabbed the fire keeper's soul, the sweet rear end crimson robe set, and took the valley of the drakes path out and all was well in the world. Then I swung by the blacksmith(s) and the pyromancy trainer and went from a Winged Spear +5, Long Bow, Knight Shield, and Pyromancy Flame to a Magic Winged Spear +5, Long Bow +5, Tower Kite Shield +9, and Pyromancy Flame +8.

Hoooooooooooooooooooooly poo poo I do so much more damage it is ridiculous. Also, when people are saying upgrading your shield is worth it, they aren't lying. My stamina takes a very noticeably smaller hit whenever I block an attack.

On tomorrow's agenda: Hydra part 2, revisiting the asylum, Sen's Fortress, and maybe Anor Londo if I get around to it.

tl;dr THIS IS GOTY ALL YEARS THANK YOU AND GOOD NIGHT.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah if I understood the wiki correctly, you can leave any Covenant without any penalties. If you break their rules, that's when the Sin comes.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
The game keeps showing my required souls for leveling up as 0. Is this happening to anyone else? Frustrating as hell.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
What do Titanite Demons drop? Demon Titanite. Creative, FromSoftware.

Do those dudes respawn, by the way?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

...! posted:

The game keeps showing my required souls for leveling up as 0. Is this happening to anyone else? Frustrating as hell.

It's showing you how many souls you're going to use for the points you've allocated before you confirm them, not how much you need for your next level. If you add 2 points it will give you the total souls for those 2 levels.

Yes it is dumb as hell.

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010
For those who own the Future Press guide, have you tried using/scanning the QR codes? The android app is poo poo but even on the website when I type the codes in it just says video unavailable.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:

...! posted:

The "Required Souls" item is for showing you how many souls are used in the currently selected level ups before you confirm. So if you need 500 for a level, when you put a point in but before confirming it, that will show 500. If the next needs 600, if you put both points in before confirming, it will show 1100.

Unfortunately there is no "this many souls needed to level up" item on the level up screen. Kind of an oversight in my opinion.

Spike McMayhem
Jun 3, 2005

Mind if I rape ye, then?
Holy crap, I just got absolutely creamed by the first Burg boss, and I'm already as angry as my 20th Flamelurker attempt. I thought the tower would be a safe place to cheese him with arrows, but :stare:

This game already loving owns.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is it worth restarting a character if you were too stupid to take the Master Key?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Is it worth restarting a character if you were too stupid to take the Master Key?

Nah, it just means you can't sequence break.

• Locked thread