Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
So are any high-level melee characters using anything other than Drake's Sword so far? I'm thinking Astora's Straight Sword might be a good replacement after a lot of upgrading. Then again I'm not good at stats and equipment and all that.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou
Feb 22, 2011
gently caress yeah! Just beat Seath the Scaleless

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
It took me a good 20 minutes, but I ravaged the poo poo out of Gaping Dragon. I hosed that oval office so drat hard with my Halberd, I'm feeling pretty exhausted from the fight. I was freaking out because it was the first time I had ever fought a dragon, but after a couple rounds the I learned all the right moves and it became pretty trivial.

Now I'm wondering if I should go to the watchtower basement and check that shizz out or if I should continue on and explore blight town. I loving love this game.

Stumpus Maximus
Dec 15, 2007

Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.

FisheyStix posted:

3. Solaire gives it to you on that bridge with the dragon. You just need to go right instead of left.

Sheit. I said "no" when I talked to him because I didn't want to join a covenant yet. I went back recently and he wasn't there. So am I hosed out of online play then?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
So my brother grinded a couple thousand souls to plonk it down on some faith and attunement on his warrior so he could use Soul Arrow. It turns out he doesn't have the right item to cast these spells in the first place.

Just what kind of item do you need exactly? the wiki's not giving me a straight answer, and i would think that there has to be another way other than going to the lower undead burg to rescue a pyro.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Mug posted:

So just to ask again, what's the layout for getting from blighttown back to someone who can repair my poo poo? I know where the second bonfire is in blighttown, is there any shortcuts anywhere at all? Maybe after the boss?

The only way I know is to exit towards the Valley of the Drakes, then go down to Londo Ruins, then take the elevator there up to Firelink then go to the Burg and buy the drat repair box from either the merchant, or the blacksmith there. But there could be a simpler way. Seriously though, that repair box is necessary.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Just what kind of item do you need exactly? the wiki's not giving me a straight answer, and i would think that there has to be another way other than going to the lower undead burg to rescue a pyro.

You need a catalyst. (clever name) They aren't dropped often, but there's a dude you can rescue in the Burg that'll give you it once you talk to him back in Firelink.

Professor Latency fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 8, 2011

Manley Pointer
Sep 6, 2010

Sarcophallus posted:

covenant walkthrough

Really helpful, thanks. Had no idea it was so involved, I thought it was just a non-intuitive boss kill order.

Guliani is HOT posted:

Either that or be actually cursed. You can lead one of them off the cliff using that exploit but there's at least one other that shoots arrows at you, just avoid him.

I don't know the exploit; I guess I'll be burning through these Transient Curses.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So friend picked up the game and I was excited to help catch him up to speed as I'm near the start too, wrote my summon in front of where he said he was and turns out it wasn't on his screen or anything so, kinda confused how this works. Anyone got it figured out?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Professor Latency posted:

The only way I know is to exit towards the Valley of the Drakes, then go down to Londo Ruins, then take the elevator there up to Firelink then go to the Burg and buy the drat repair box from either the merchant, or the blacksmith there. But there could be a simpler way. Seriously though, that repair box is necessary.

You need a catalyst. (clever name) They aren't dropped often, but there's a dude you can rescue in the Burg that'll give you it once you talk to him back in Firelink.

Yeah gently caress it, I'm gonna run back up through the Depths and get a repair box.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

That's the Pyromancer trainer everybody's talking about, right?

EDIT: He found it. Thanks for the help.

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

So do shiba and the ninja disappear if I end my pact with the forest hunters or will they stick around now that they've shown up once and gone to blight town.

Zetsubou
Feb 22, 2011
Ok, here's a question. As a sorcerer, are there any boss souls that are not worth keeping and forging into some sorta weapon? My points are mostly in intelligence.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

After just getting my Demon's souls legs back the game really knew how to knock me down a peg ManEaters round 2 But I gotta say there isn't another series like it :allears:

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice
If anyone here is named Baby Punter or Sleepy Dudz, know that I failed horribly after you died :(

Bobby Cox fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 8, 2011

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
What does that weird red circle next to items mean?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

thoraxfetish.com posted:

If anyone here is named Baby Punter or Sleep Deepz, know that I failed horribly after you died :(
That reminded me that the last two people I asked to help me both had at least six upper and lower case x's in their name. It's times like that that I wish that it displayed the CHARACTER's name instead of the user name (or hell, maybe nothing at all), especially since they went to so much trouble to make the multiplayer system feel like an organic part of the world. Seeing "xXxSniperxXx has joined your world as a blue phantom" just completely ruins the mood.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Organic Robot posted:

What does that weird red circle next to items mean?

Means you have it equipped.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Sanzuo posted:

poo poo. Forget the souls. Did you get the helmet??

Helmet!? Are you making GBS threads me?

Anreon, if you're a goon thanks for your help and sorry for getting you killed!

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
So I just attacked a hollowed female NPC behind a fence (a shortcut in undead parish area, i believe?) I wasn't thinking anymore and swung because this game is making me loving crazy and it was too late when I noticed she was just standing there and now she backed away and just keeps yelling at me so now I think I'm hosed. Was she a merchant? Should I just move on? I don't want to have to start my game over or anything :(

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I think you can pay tons of souls to the guy in the belltower to forgive your sins, but I'm not 100% that it'll help.

You're pretty hosed, though, yes. She's the only one nearby that sells anti-curse (for loving 6000 SOULS! God drat)

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

tenderjerk posted:

So I just attacked a hollowed female NPC behind a fence (a shortcut in undead parish area, i believe?) I wasn't thinking anymore and swung because this game is making me loving crazy and it was too late when I noticed she was just standing there and now she backed away and just keeps yelling at me so now I think I'm hosed. Was she a merchant? Should I just move on? I don't want to have to start my game over or anything :(

Yeah, I did that too. Yes shes a merchant. You can make her friendly again by talking to the dude in the gargoyle tower, its expensive (2k souls times your soul level I think)

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Means you have it equipped.

It amazes me how stupid I can be sometimes. I thought it just meant I couldn't drop it.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Sankis posted:

You're pretty hosed, though, yes. She's the only one nearby that sells anti-curse (for loving 6000 SOULS! God drat)

I'm pretty sure the dude in the gargoyle tower sells them for cheaper.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

So after banging my head against the wall that is Capra Demon for a while I ambled over to Darkroot Garden to have a look. Definitely worth the trip for anyone stuck on the Capra Demon. I haven't explored Darkroot Basin much at all, but at a certain point in the Garden is a light door, beyond which enemy giant things that slow you appear. If you hug the right wall as you enter and pretty much sprint forwards you can grab Elite Knight's Armor, which is the same stuff the dude at the start of the game was wearing (the item descriptions even call attention to it).

I still haven't beaten Capra Demon, but I got him to really low health and he's so much less of a wall because the Elite Knight's Armor and Knight's Shield means you can block two of his small swipes. The main problem I have is that my strongest weapon is my Scimitar+2 which only seems to be doing 30 damage a pop to him. Any other advice? I don't really want to get the Drake Sword, just as a matter of honor.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
How is everyone getting cursed so much anyway? So far I've only been cursed twice, once by accident and once on purpose. Isn't there just one or two small areas of the game where it is even possible?

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.

bewilderment posted:

I still haven't beaten Capra Demon, but I got him to really low health and he's so much less of a wall because the Elite Knight's Armor and Knight's Shield means you can block two of his small swipes. The main problem I have is that my strongest weapon is my Scimitar+2 which only seems to be doing 30 damage a pop to him. Any other advice? I don't really want to get the Drake Sword, just as a matter of honor.

There is no honor in this game, get the Drake Sword and plough Capra with it

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Gah I finally went back to kill the Hydra after forgetting him for a long time, and this boss is way more frustrating to me than the Capra Demon. The Hydra is stupidly easy, just stand there and block the lunge and then attack. Unfortunately, every time I get it down to one head, the final head doesn't even try to attack me, it just lunges halfway across the screen at a distance that is impossible to reach in time to attack (even with no equipment on). Then I run over there, and he lunges to the other opposite side of the screen. Like three times in a row I've gotten him down to one head and then just left after 20 mins of him avoiding me. If you try to lock on to do a ranged attack it just locks onto the main body, so sniping the final head won't work either.

What the heck is going on here?

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
I want to thank people for helping me! Where is the 'send people a thank you note' button? :argh:

Stumpus Maximus posted:

Sheit. I said "no" when I talked to him because I didn't want to join a covenant yet. I went back recently and he wasn't there. So am I hosed out of online play then?

You are pretty hosed, yeah. There's no other way to get a white soapstone other than Solaire.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Schlegel Mach posted:

You are pretty hosed, yeah. There's no other way to get a white soapstone other than Solaire.

You do encounter him later in the game, although I'm not sure if he'll give you a soapstone then or even be there if you didn't take it.

Bastard Priest
Jun 16, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Anyone know where i can find the ring of steel protection?

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

This has probably been asked and explained in detail a lot but I'm really trying to avoid as many spoilers as I can so I can't really go searching for answers.
Basically, a friend told me that his friend told him that when you encounter the Red Drake you can shoot the tail off to get a sweet sword. Can anyone give further details on that? I mean, it's not exactly a big target and my bow is awful which, unless there's another area you can fight him besides the bridge, means it looks to turn into an even more tedious and even longer process than either dragon fight from Demons' Souls. Can I use magic instead or does it have to be arrows? And if so, is there a decent bow anywhere near that general area? (I've just rung the Undead Parish's bell)

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Alright man I have been patient with this game but gently caress BLIGHT TOWN

gently caress IT.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Joined the Gravelord Covenant. I think I messed up because I just gave the Gravelord all of the items he wants instead of using them so they multiply. Anybody sell those Invader summon items?

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Hmm there sure are a lot of red messages here "Watch left" Okay sure let me just clear this poison OH COME ON WHAT THE gently caress.

Where is the bonfire in this hell hole. I need it.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Satanos posted:

This has probably been asked and explained in detail a lot but I'm really trying to avoid as many spoilers as I can so I can't really go searching for answers.
Basically, a friend told me that his friend told him that when you encounter the Red Drake you can shoot the tail off to get a sweet sword. Can anyone give further details on that? I mean, it's not exactly a big target and my bow is awful which, unless there's another area you can fight him besides the bridge, means it looks to turn into an even more tedious and even longer process than either dragon fight from Demons' Souls. Can I use magic instead or does it have to be arrows? And if so, is there a decent bow anywhere near that general area? (I've just rung the Undead Parish's bell)

Yes. If you're on that walkway underneath the bridge you can hit it quite easily. I used the short bow I got from the merchant in undead burg and about 35 of the shittest arrows.

It's already been discussed quite a bit but yeah, can't expect people to keep up with such a fast moving thread.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Defiant Sally posted:

Hmm there sure are a lot of red messages here "Watch left" Okay sure let me just clear this poison OH COME ON WHAT THE gently caress.

Where is the bonfire in this hell hole. I need it.

There's one about midway through on a wide stone walkway. Its pretty much on the main path so you can't miss it unless you skip a few levels by falling. There's another one all the way at the bottom in the swamp. Look for the stone archway.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dark Souls' facebook just posted XBLA Avatar content. Never thought I'd see Demon's Souls get gayed up on that level. It's kind if like seeing your favorite band sell out.

Just seeing a dumb looking avatar with a generic sports jersey eqip a black knight hemlet with that Wii ripoff music playing in the background is weird.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
Anyone know how to make poisoned weapons? Googling tells me raw weapons are poison, which they arent. I've upgraded a winged spear to +5 raw and there is no poison effect. Then it tells me I need +5 divine then upgrade but that doesnt work either.

Guliani is HOT posted:

So are any high-level melee characters using anything other than Drake's Sword so far? I'm thinking Astora's Straight Sword might be a good replacement after a lot of upgrading. Then again I'm not good at stats and equipment and all that.

If you're high level you should have ditched that sword by now. Notice how that sword doesnt have any stat bonuses?

bobby2times fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 8, 2011

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Volitaire posted:

There's one about midway through on a wide stone walkway. Its pretty much on the main path so you can't miss it unless you skip a few levels by falling. There's another one all the way at the bottom in the swamp. Look for the stone archway.

Ah is that whats behind that giant Squid thing? Im coming in through the depths so maybe ill just nab that one at the bottom, since I can get down there with relative ease now that I have murdered every last toxin dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Those toxin guys are really the worst. Thank god they don't respawn.

• Locked thread