Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Uh, did I gently caress up massively? I summoned Knight Solaire and Knight Lautrec for the Gaping Dragon fight, they proceeded to do nothing and then got killed by him. I then fell off the waterfall to my death (hey I didn't realise there was a waterfall okay :( ) are those guys dead for good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

So I found a Firewatcher Soul and was like "sweet these will upgrade my Flask" so I consumed it and nothing happened. So I looked it up online. Fuuuccckkk have I just poo poo up my game? I hope not because I've spent 10 hours in it farming the poo poo out of upgrades for a long, long time. Seriously I only just beat the two gargoyles. There are more right? I didn't just ruin my game? :(

Not spoiling this in hopes of saving someone from doing what I did.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Thievery posted:

Uh, did I gently caress up massively? I summoned Knight Solaire and Knight Lautrec for the Gaping Dragon fight, they proceeded to do nothing and then got killed by him. I then fell off the waterfall to my death (hey I didn't realise there was a waterfall okay :( ) are those guys dead for good?

No, they fight as phantoms when you summon them so they are still alive.

doctor 7 posted:

So I found a Firewatcher Soul and was like "sweet these will upgrade my Flask" so I consumed it and nothing happened. So I looked it up online. Fuuuccckkk have I just poo poo up my game? I hope not because I've spent 10 hours in it farming the poo poo out of upgrades for a long, long time. Seriously I only just beat the two gargoyles. There are more right? I didn't just ruin my game? :(

Not spoiling this in hopes of saving someone from doing what I did.

It will make your early game a bit harder, but there are plenty more of those to upgrade your flask later.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

So, is there at all a downside to joining the Way of the White? you can get heal really early on and that's stupid useful.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

evilalien posted:

It will make your early game a bit harder, but there are plenty more of those to upgrade your flask later.
Do they stack?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

doctor 7 posted:

Do they stack?

Yeah. The highest I've seen so far is +4.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
On the upside, I'm getting pretty good at fighting those knights. On the downside, I lost like, three humanity due to a wayward crossbow bolt.

Also, gently caress those spear guys. gently caress their stupid defensive time-consuming asses.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

evilalien posted:

No, they fight as phantoms when you summon them so they are still alive.

Is them not doing anything a bug or should I just try and find players? I can barely damage this boss (30 per hit) and he does about 2/3 of my lifebar at least on all his hits.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Sen's Fortress:

Turns out the black knight at the top of Sen's Fortress right near the bonfire respawns a long with the regular enemies. he's dropped a Greataxe, Greatsword, Steel Gauntlets, Tower shield and a few large titanite shards for me. I don't know if he's a black knight like the others but it's a pretty sweet deal.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Thievery posted:

Is them not doing anything a bug or should I just try and find players? I can barely damage this boss (30 per hit) and he does about 2/3 of my lifebar at least on all his hits.

Only ever attack the Gaping Dragona after it's done it's charge forward attack after slamming it's head down; focus on cutting off the tail first, then once that's gone, whittle it down slowly by attacking from behind after the charge attack. The second it does anything else play the keepaway game and stay away from it completely.

It'll take time, but you'll never, ever get hit if you do it this way.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Man, I'm getting my rear end kicked in blight town. Where's a good place to grind for souls quickly-ish? I'm thinking of bypassing it for the 20k door in the forest but that's a lot of souls. Also, which merchant sells the poison cures? Any way to cure toxin?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Maremidon posted:

On the upside, I'm getting pretty good at fighting those knights. On the downside, I lost like, three humanity due to a wayward crossbow bolt.

Also, gently caress those spear guys. gently caress their stupid defensive time-consuming asses.

Spring around them in a circle and backstab.

Sankis posted:

Also, which merchant sells the poison cures? Any way to cure toxin?

The woman at behind the grate in the Firelink/Sewers shortcut sells both I believe.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Maremidon posted:

Kick them. Tap forward and R1(RB) quickly.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Sankis posted:

Man, I'm getting my rear end kicked in blight town. Where's a good place to grind for souls quickly-ish? I'm thinking of bypassing it for the 20k door in the forest but that's a lot of souls. Also, which merchant sells the poison cures? Any way to cure toxin?

I think the zombie lady in Lower Burg sells poison cures, but the bush guys in Garden drop them readily enough for me.

I also am kind of looking for an answer to the question of pre-garden-door grinding. Normally I really frown on grinding but I'm possessed with the obsessive need to +5 literally all the armour I'm carrying.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

If you need poison cures, farm Darkroot Garden. The tree people drop all 3 of the bleed/poison/toxic cures pretty regularly.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Sen's Fortress:

Turns out the black knight at the top of Sen's Fortress right near the bonfire respawns a long with the regular enemies. he's dropped a Greataxe, Greatsword, Steel Gauntlets, Tower shield and a few large titanite shards for me. I don't know if he's a black knight like the others but it's a pretty sweet deal.

Technically it's a "Heavy Knight" not a Black Knight, according to the guide, anyway. The guide shows a C rating for large titanite so with the serpent ring they should be easy to farm. The rest of his drops are rarer, A ratings, but you can get an entire Steel Set off him if you farm long enough. Ironically he doesn't drop his huge mace which is the thing I want the most :argh:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Nechronic posted:

Technically it's a "Heavy Knight" not a Black Knight, according to the guide, anyway. The guide shows a C rating for large titanite so with the serpent ring they should be easy to farm. The rest of his drops are rarer, A ratings, but you can get an entire Steel Set off him if you farm long enough. Ironically he doesn't drop his huge mace which is the thing I want the most :argh:

Ah, thanks! That mace did look pretty sweet :ohdear:

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
Just made it to the blacksmith in the undead parish and was wondering if it's a waste of Titinite to upgrade my starting gear. I've upgraded my scimitar to +2 and was thinking about dumping some points into my theif's starting armor.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Experimenting with a few weapons right now, namely the raw winged spear, +4 balders side sword, the rapier and the uchigatana.

The winged spear has been my primary weapon since I started the game, pretty much. I found it early on in the graveyard next to the Firelink Shrine, and its been my go to weapon ever since. My only problem with it is its relatively high stam use per attack, which only allows me to swing ~4 times before I need to recharge. Other than that, it's a great weapon with good distance, decent damage as compared to the drake sword, and attacks from behind a shield. I'm not quite sold on the "raw" upgrade, but it has indeed increased my damage with the weapon.

I received the uchigatana relatively recently after killing the Undead Burg merchant (whom I no longer needed). It has potential for high slashing damage, as well as a great bleed effect, but it has incredibly low durability and gets nicked easily. Maybe it would suffice as a good two-handed boss killer, but I doubt it would outmatch the drake sword without sufficient modification.

I found the balders side sword just now, as I was playing. Read its stats and checked its stam use, and it's a surprisingly solid weapon. Attacks quickly, using relatively little stamina (6 swings with 17 endurance), has a wide, long arc of attack as well as very quick strong attack in the form of a thrust, which deals high damage against armored opponents. I upgraded it to +4 as soon as I could, and will soon be upgrading it to +5 in hopes of it becoming my new mainstay weapon. Liking it a lot, so far. Surprisingly, it takes more stamina per swing when wielding it two handed, so I'd recommend sword/board style.

The rapier (also found off a balder knight), like the winged spear, can attack from behind a shield. Unlike the spear however, it has a short distance and uses relatively little stamina (6 swings, like the balder side sword). It can parry if held in your left hand, and has a VERY fast recovery after its powerful strong attack, which also uses relatively little stamina (3-4 strong attacks at 17 endurance). I'd like to make it a mainstay weapon, but its damage is relatively low compared to the balder side sword, the winged spear and especially the drake sword. Perhaps if I had found it earlier on, I'd of used it. As of now it's faintly outclassed, but perhaps with sufficient upgrades it could become a worthwhile weapon.

Zebrasectomy posted:

Just made it to the blacksmith in the undead parish and was wondering if it's a waste of Titinite to upgrade my starting gear. I've upgraded my scimitar to +2 and was thinking about dumping some points into my theif's starting armor.

I would personally hold off on it. As a wanderer who started with the scimitar, I very quickly replaced it early on. Its attacks just don't seem to scale well when compared to some of the other early weapons (drake sword, winged spear, etc). The armor gets replaced as well, not by regular defense stats, but by lighter leathers that have the added benefit of protecting the user from poison. Of course, play however you choose, but I found I could save my souls on leveling up after finding the more powerful weapons which need no upgrades.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 8, 2011

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I'm having trouble clearing out the bottom floor of Sen's Fortress. Anyone have any tips on how to deal with the two titanite demons? I can take one just fine, but having to dodge one while the other throws lightning at you sucks.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

So, is there at all a downside to joining the Way of the White? you can get heal really early on and that's stupid useful.

No, but there's also no reason to really stay in the Way of the White covenant because Petrus will sell your Miracles even if you're not in the WotW covenant once Reah and her companions show up at Firelink. It's the newbie covenant - there are better covenants to join.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Zebrasectomy posted:

Get the scimitar to +10 at some point, or any curved blade I guess, and you can turn it into a much better weapon later. The thiefs armor is actually pretty solid for about a quarter of the game so you can upgrade it if you want to.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Aggh. Can't get to Queelag without getting poisoned. Any suggestions for routes from the bonfire?

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Okay, wow, holy poo poo. gently caress the Depths.
Dropped down a hole after killing a huge loving rat, see freaky loving frog things and run for my life and then some rear end in a top hat named Kirk or something wants to kill me then I summon my buddy to help and the dickhead doesn't do anything to the other dickhead trying to kill me then the frog guys catch up and curse me and I die. I think I'm going to stop playing for today.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Phoix posted:

Get the scimitar to +10 at some point, or any curved blade I guess, and you can turn it into a much better weapon later. The thiefs armor is actually pretty solid for about a quarter of the game so you can upgrade it if you want to.

Yep, Scimitar/Falchion/any curved sword work for ascending to Queelag's Furysword. It's my favorite weapon at the moment. :)

Puddles
Nov 25, 2005
HAI ^^
So if you're looking to assist someone you need to be within a certain amount of levels don't you?

I want to help people but for the smaller things (Gargoyles, Capra etc) nobody tries to use me.

Then again I think I'm like SL43 or something

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

hcenvirons posted:

Aggh. Can't get to Queelag without getting poisoned. Any suggestions for routes from the bonfire?

You can't get to her without getting poisoned, unless there's some poison immunity spell. The last stretch is too long even with the best available poison resist gear at that point. Just get poisoned and then use one of the purple moss clumps to cure yourself at the end.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
For the Armored Boar, are you suppose to beat him the first time you see him or come back later? Right now I'm only doing 12 damage a hit on the thing.

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

^^Backstab him in the butt and you'll do a lot of damage or hide behind the fire near the bridge with crossbowmen and he'll roast himself to death

I noticed a bunch of people saying it takes a lot of arrows to knock off the dragons tail, but pro-tip if you use poison arrows which are a bit more expensive, you can knock it off in about 15-20 shots. I bought 35 which was all i could afford thinking it wouldn't be close to enough and it was plenty. Got them from the berg sewer short cut vendor

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Kortel posted:

For the Armored Boar, are you suppose to beat him the first time you see him or come back later? Right now I'm only doing 12 damage a hit on the thing.

Backstab. Or make him run into one of the fires down there. Or use a plunging attack. There's a skull item on the bridge over him that you can use to lure him closer to the bridge in order to plunge attack.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Kortel posted:

Walk behind one of the fires and the stupid thing will walk into one of those and start burning to death pretty quickly. I beat that thing on my first try and I didn't hit it once.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Puddles posted:

So if you're looking to assist someone you need to be within a certain amount of levels don't you?

I want to help people but for the smaller things (Gargoyles, Capra etc) nobody tries to use me.

Then again I think I'm like SL43 or something
http://support.namcobandaigames.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=247&nav=0,1,320

Namco posted:

Due to several contacts we've received from users confused as to how the summoning feature works in game, we have provided this list to help.

Conditions for summoning (White Sign Soapstone):

The host (person who's game world will be used) must be human. The client (person joining the game) can either be human or undead.

The client’s level must fall within 10% (above or below) of the host’s level. Generally, this example formula should give you a good idea on whether you will be able to join: (LC x 1.1) ≥ LH ≥ (LC x 0.9), where is LC the level of the client and LH is the level of the host. For example, if the level of the host is 20, then they will only be able to summon players who are levels 18 to 22.

The area boss (Taurus Demon, Bell Gargoyles, Moonlight Butterfly, etc…) in the host’s world must still be alive. A client can still be summoned even if the client has already defeated their own area boss.

The host must not have placed down a summoning sign. Summoning signs from other players will not appear in a host’s world if the host also has placed a summoning sign down. This is to prevent a network conflict of the host joining someone else's game world while the clients are trying to join the host's game world.

After successfully summoning, the client will return to their world if the area boss is defeated, the client is killed or the host is killed.

Also, please note that there are several different servers/lobbies that are being used for Dark Souls, so you may not be able to summon a specific friend into your game even if you adhere to the steps above. We can only recommend that you follow the steps above for the best chance at being able to join a specific friends' game.
You have to be within 10% of the host's soul level. SL43 is really high for 1st Belltower/Burgs so that's probably why no one is summoning you. :shobon:

General rule of thumb is not to overlevel/overgrind if you want to do multiplayer.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
Was letting the golden guy I found in the Mysterious Room in the church live a bad idea? He came to camp and gave me a medallion and then disappeared. I figured if he was like Yurt (?) from Demons Souls I would have a free shot at stopping him from doing anything bad. His laugh did not instill me with any ideas that he was a good guy.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Thanks guys, worked like a charm. Second question: is there a first person mode for cross bows?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Kortel posted:

Thanks guys, worked like a charm. Second question: is there a first person mode for cross bows?

Hold it in both hands then hit L1/LB

e: For normal bows, not crossbows. Can't aim crossbows.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Fellow Gravelords:

Have any of you had any luck using Eyes of Death?

Any successes, notifications of failure, or invasions?
I've noticed you can leave the area you're in while doing it, so I'm not fully sure whether it effects 3 peoples worlds at random regions, or just the one where you used the item.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Kortel posted:

No.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Sankis posted:

A good way to deal with blight town is getting the 3 dog's aggro and killing them on the stairs, then running forward till you hear the knife dudes rustling and running back to do the same. You don't want them to get anywhere near your back or close enough to do that neck snapping move.

[e] Now if only I could deal with the boss this easy :suicide:

[e2]oops, though to be fair the names are confusing beacuse they mean exactly the same thing.

Agnostic watermelon fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 8, 2011

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Agnostic watermelon posted:

A good way to deal with blight town is getting the 3 dog's aggro and killing them on the stairs, then running forward till you hear the knife dudes rustling and running back to do the same. You don't want them to get anywhere near your back or close enough to do that neck snapping move.

That's Undead Burg not Blight Town :) You'll know blight town when you see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
would it be worth while to get 50 str to 1h the dragon king greataxe? I need another 25 str to 1h it, and like 8 to 2h it. It's that, or put the puts into endurance and use my drake sword until I can get some magic poo poo.

• Locked thread