Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

AN AOL CHAT ROOM posted:

This is Mojang working on Minecraft, features will get put in and taken out and re-implemented with a complete and polar opposite function from what they were originally intended to do. See: Books. Now that we know that bookcases are only for enchanting tables and will never ever ever ever be used for writing your own personal Minecraft journal into, I'm stuck with my Bulletin Board Dirt Walls Full O'Signs.

As long as they're just throwing dimensions into the game all willy-nilly with no purpose, they should put in a "dream" dimension that has a percentage of occuring when you use a bed to sleep. It would be a strictly wireframe/AutoCAD 3D-ish dimension and on the "surface", the "blocks" are basically hollow outlined squares that comes in the primary colors of the rainbow whereas the "underground" is all in shades of grey. Obviously you wouldn't be able to take anything in or out of the dimension unless Notch introduces The Gauntlet to his repertoire of armor pieces and makes a crafting recipe of a Leather Gauntlet surrounded by five iron swords in order to make a Freddy's Glove which will allow you to take only one block at a time inbetween dimensions, so you could hypothetically take in a dirt block and bring out a pink outline of a cube. Oh and you can only "leave" the dimension by "waking up", i.e. falling or getting killed by some poor wireframe representation of a creeper.

I got the weird floating biome glitch thingy in my world, so I did an experiment. I was running Firefox and Reason and Steam and a couple of other processes as well, so I closed out EVERYTHING but Minecraft and reloaded the world from a back-up, and it generated fine. Do you think that would have something to do with the terrain being glitched? I know that sometimes I just start up new worlds without entering any seeds and when I have a bunch of other poo poo running, the likelihood of 2-3 floating dirt blocks up in the air increases.

I demand this be added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3
I hadn't played since 1.4, so there's a lot of new stuff that I've been enjoying. I've been trying to get a portal to the Nether working on a server that I play on, but all it does is catch on fire. Does a certain server setting need to be on, or am I missing something here?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Your portal is too short. It needs to be a 3x2 rectangle, not a 2x2 square.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

seal it with a kiss posted:

I hadn't played since 1.4, so there's a lot of new stuff that I've been enjoying. I've been trying to get a portal to the Nether working on a server that I play on, but all it does is catch on fire. Does a certain server setting need to be on, or am I missing something here?

I block to low.

Adam Kensai
Feb 13, 2005
Have you heard the Go News?

Friends and I made a pretty large colosseum. I think the impressive bits are in the superstructure, the huge tiers of sandstone holdin' it up, so we recorded a video of us running through it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLsPRfUPtRg

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3
Thanks! I knew it was probably some sort of dumb mistake..

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

seal it with a kiss posted:

Thanks! I knew it was probably some sort of dumb mistake..

You could just put the third row of obsidian in the floor. That way the portal will be on the same level as the floor of the structure, and you can walk right into it. That's how I always build my portals.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Kind of dumb that the new content is post-tech-tree stuff (it all requires obsidian). Would be nice to be able to make speed potions in the early game when they would actually be useful. Content in the form of items doesn't really add as much depth as, you know, content that actually enhances the creative aspect of Minecraft, which is still the only real depth that the game has. Notch should be focusing on updates on the level of pistons and other construction objects which foster inspiration and creativity, which in Minecraft equals depth of play. What they've been doing lately feels lazy, and it shows as new items and mobs very quickly become commonplace occurrences or even annoyances.

Alchemy and enchantments are being added to tie up all the 'loose ends' (useless mob drop items and useless experience system) before MineCon. Oh well.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 8, 2011

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

babies havin rabies posted:

Kind of dumb that the new content is post-tech-tree stuff (it all requires obsidian). Would be nice to be able to make speed potions in the early game when they would actually be useful. Content in the form of items doesn't really add as much depth as, you know, content that actually enhances the creative aspect of Minecraft, which is still the only real depth that the game has. Notch should be focusing on updates on the level of pistons and other construction objects which foster inspiration and creativity, which in Minecraft equals depth of play. What they've been doing lately feels lazy, and it shows as new items and mobs very quickly become commonplace occurrences or even annoyances.

Oh well.

I agree. I couldn't care less about potions. No objections to them or anything, but he should either work more on making this a "game", or acknowledge it's just a sandbox application and treat it like that. I would love it if you could join a server and compete with people in some way or another. The "survival" element got tiresome a long time ago. And experience orbs and the like don't interest me at all.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Fire resistance and invisibility will make Nether construction a whole lot less annoying.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm using the ATI Rage drivers from yesterday(Don't have it yet, but planning on picking it up in the next week or so, it looks sweet), Minecraft 1.9Pre3 is working fine for me. Try turning triple buffering off.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think one of the problems with the game so far is that Notch (and Jeb I guess) seem to be having a hard time deciding what they want to do next with it, so they just go with 'everything', which doesn't work out as well as they planned. I understand what they're going for in that they're trying to flesh the game out a little, but they're making ENDgame stuff and not NEWgame stuff.

For example, the enchantment table requires two diamond and several obsidian to create, which players are only able to obtain at the tail end of the "goal" part of Minecraft, that being to find Obsidian/Diamond and enter The Nether. As a sandbox game, you can do "whatever you want", sure, but the game has a set goal in that there is nothing else to do but sandbox related things once you move up the tool material trees and finally mine that obsidian. Another example is that they recently added Nether Structures, but again, you can't actually GET to The Nether until late-game.

I think they're going in the right direction with Strongholds and NPC villages, in that you can find them from basically the beginning of the "game" and they require only a little exploration to find, and not a long-winded recipe craft that you can only get once you've already done everything else survival-related.

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.

pseudorandom name posted:

Fire resistance and invisibility will make Nether construction a whole lot less annoying.

Yeah except that you have to go to the nether before you can make them, don't you?

Personally I like all the new content, even if it doesn't make the game any "deeper". I still play minecraft more than any other game, and I've been playing for almost a year and a half now.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DoubleDown11 posted:

Yeah except that you have to go to the nether before you can make them, don't you?
Well you can't expect to go in immune right off the bat. Like most things in minecraft it'll be more of a danger early on, but it can be sort of 'tamed' now, at least in some small way.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Bolian Blues posted:

You could just put the third row of obsidian in the floor. That way the portal will be on the same level as the floor of the structure, and you can walk right into it. That's how I always build my portals.

Also if you want to do it quickish, you can use pistons to move the two blocks downwards instead of spending ages with a diamond pick.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Megaspel posted:

Also if you want to do it quickish, you can use pistons to move the two blocks downwards instead of spending ages with a diamond pick.

Pretty sure pistons can't move obsidian

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

AlsoD posted:

Pretty sure pistons can't move obsidian

Why wouldn't they?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Because they can't.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

EightBit posted:

Why wouldn't they?

Because you need a diamond pickaxe to mine obsidian and TNT doesn't affect it so it is considered to be 'firmer' or something, second only to bedrock.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
In my experience with 1.9 so far, I'd either slow down Wood->Stone->Iron or speed up Iron->Diamond->Obsidian or a mix of both. Right now it's Easy-Easy-Hard-Hard, when it should be more Easy-Medium Easy-Medium Hard-Hard, IMO. I think slowing down the beginning is preferable, as getting to Iron in 5 minutes or so isn't hard at all. Even my friend who just started playing last week got iron tools in like 10 minutes. Perhaps require smooth stone for stone tools? Make Iron deeper/rarer, but not by a ton?

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 8, 2011

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

EightBit posted:

Why wouldn't they?

It's basically meant so that you can make your base out of obsidian and still have it be hard to break through. You can't have someone just come through with a piston and bust a hole in it.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Nenonen posted:

Because you need a diamond pickaxe to mine obsidian

You don't actually need to mine any obsidian to make a portal. You just need a bucket of lava, some water, and some redstone and you can cast a portal.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

What's the redstone for?

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Probably the as-yet unfixed (?) redstone-to-obsidian bug.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

m2pt5 posted:

You don't actually need to mine any obsidian to make a portal. You just need a bucket of lava, some water, and some redstone and you can cast a portal.

You would still need a special tool (a diamond pickaxe) if you wanted to remove that obsidian of yours, unlike everything else in the game. Hence the different behaviour with pistons.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
You can control where you pour your lava with molds. It's just a pain in the butt that just finding three diamonds fixes... sort of.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Nenonen posted:

You would still need a special tool (a diamond pickaxe) if you wanted to remove that obsidian of yours, unlike everything else in the game. Hence the different behaviour with pistons.

True.

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Probably the as-yet unfixed (?) redstone-to-obsidian bug.

Correct. Obsidian generation via redstone next to downward-flowing water (this method) still works in 1.9pre3.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Nenonen posted:

No, you can actually break obsidian with your bare hands. You just don't get an obsidian block back.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've yet to find a single NPC village in my new survival map. I keep looking, the terrain looks cooler now, but no strongholds and no NPC villages thus far. Also no rain, come to think of it

I also inevitably always have to turn the difficulty to "peaceful" after a while. It's kinda fun when the sun starts going down and you have to get indoors the first couple times but after a while it just becomes a pain in the rear end, and the combat is worse than a flash game/gently caress skeletons/gently caress creepers blowing my poo poo up constantly

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

Pees With Boner posted:

I've yet to find a single NPC village in my new survival map. I keep looking, the terrain looks cooler now, but no strongholds and no NPC villages thus far. Also no rain, come to think of it

I also inevitably always have to turn the difficulty to "peaceful" after a while. It's kinda fun when the sun starts going down and you have to get indoors the first couple times but after a while it just becomes a pain in the rear end, and the combat is worse than a flash game/gently caress skeletons/gently caress creepers blowing my poo poo up constantly
There are certain seeds like "666" that spawn you somewhere near the vicinity of villages. You may need the village coordinates to use F3 to figure out which direction you need to go, though.
There really should be a way to locate villages/come across them more easily though, as they can be as evasive in some cases, but oh well.

As for the whole night thing, there have been plenty of times where I've just fought out the night. With a stone sword, you can kill everything in about 4 hits, which works well if you stay near flat areas. Enemies are much more easy to maneuver around and fight without uneven elevation (Mountains, Trees), meaning you can very easily just melee creepers and other mobs with weak weaponry.

Ice_Mallet fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 8, 2011

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
nm

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm not a coder, but I would guess pistons work on something similar to

code:
If blockstrength <=5, push
If blockstrength >5, do not push
rather than

code:
If blocktype = tuvwxyz, push
If blocktype != tuvwxyz, do not push

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ice_Mallet posted:

There are certain seeds like "666" that spawn you somewhere near the vicinity of villages. You may need the village coordinates to use F3 to figure out which direction you need to go, though.
There really should be a way to locate villages/come across them more easily though, as they can be as evasive in some cases, but oh well.

As for the whole night thing, there have been plenty of times where I've just fought out the night. With a stone sword, you can kill everything in about 4 hits, which works well if you stay near flat areas. Enemies are much more easy to maneuver around and fight without uneven elevation (Mountains, Trees), meaning you can very easily just melee creepers and other mobs with weak weaponry.

The skeletons are what screw me. You can't really block or dodge their poo poo so in a cave I just take cover and wait for them to get close so I can diamondswordfuck them but out in the open it kinda sucks. I just lost my diamond sword cause I guess I got hit in the back by something, went and found all my stuff but the sword was missing

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ice_Mallet posted:

With a stone sword, you can kill everything in about 4 hits
Not anymore. Enemies got a lot stronger in the newest update.

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

Vib Rib posted:

Not anymore. Enemies got a lot stronger in the newest update.

This kind of confuses me a bit. I understand emphasizing the need to make better equipment, but combat in this game is absolutely horrible to begin with. While I do appreciate the challenge, maybe they should improve combat mechanics before going ahead with this.

I am pretty much at the point where I don't engage in combat unless I absolutely have to, and even then I cheese the fights by blocking the enemies with blocks and chipping away at them from a safe spot. If I am on land, I just run. This is just going to further drive me away from fighting at all.

In short, combat blows.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Notch should just make it so strongholds/abandoned mineshafts spawn elite versions of mobs that are texture swapped and have more health and do more damage. That way, there is a justification for enchanting and alchemy, without screwing people over when they are just starting out.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

CaptainPoopsock posted:

This kind of confuses me a bit. I understand emphasizing the need to make better equipment, but combat in this game is absolutely horrible to begin with. While I do appreciate the challenge, maybe they should improve combat mechanics before going ahead with this.

I am pretty much at the point where I don't engage in combat unless I absolutely have to, and even then I cheese the fights by blocking the enemies with blocks and chipping away at them from a safe spot. If I am on land, I just run. This is just going to further drive me away from fighting at all.

In short, combat blows.

How would you improve combat? For me it already is slighty better in 1.9. What would you change?

With the new food system, Taking a couple hits of damage is not the emergncy it used to be for me.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Remember that time I posted about how Redstone is loving annoying and hard?
Of course you don't, but anyways, Redstone is still hard and annoying.

But boy is it loving awesome.

This is my very first redstone circuitry thingie and I'm so proud of it. Next I need to find out how to automate stuff.

EDIT: WHOOPS WRONG SCREENSHOT.
DOUBLE EDIT: Ahahaha, just put two repeaters with a delay connecting to each other, this is cool!

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 8, 2011

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Kassad posted:

They're probably still not as useful as an infinite water pool, but they can be used for decoration.

If there's a way to get plumbing to 'work' in the game so you can keep the cauldron constantly refilled that would be rad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

tinaun posted:

How would you improve combat? For me it already is slighty better in 1.9. What would you change?

With the new food system, Taking a couple hits of damage is not the emergncy it used to be for me.

I haven't played 1.9 so my opinion may mean nothing here. Combat has just never made sense to me. Or maybe I am doing it wrong. Maybe you're supposed to get hit and you are supposed to go blow-for-blow with zombies until one of you dies. I mostly try to play evasive and not get hit at all. My problem is it seems like you swing into thin air, or a zombie just swings into thin air, and maybe you'll hit/get hit and maybe you won't. Because of this, I just avoid combat or use bows exclusively.

What I would change is adding some consistency to combat, where you actually have to connect with the enemies to land a hit and vice-versa. Change enemy attacks so they perform a physical swing so you can see when they are attacking and can evade the attack. Something other than getting hit by an enemy 2 squares away that you can't even hit and wondering how that even happened. If they are going to make enemies harder, combat should probably be improved upon. It's the only thing that irks me about Minecraft. :(