Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:

Lum posted:

Well 64bit Flash is finally out as an official "finished" product.

Installer for Firefox here: http://aihdownload.adobe.com/bin/install_flashplayer11x64_mssd_aih.exe

I'm sure there'll be a security update tomorrow, mind.

Is it just me, or does the 64bit Flash installer always install some McAfee poo poo, regardless of whether you opt out or not?

edit:
I managed to get a non-McAfee installer by stripping the "mssd" from you url: http://aihdownload.adobe.com/bin/install_flashplayer11x64_aih.exe

dwazegek fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anybody know what setting it is to change the scroll bars behaviour? I want it to jump to where I click on the bar rather than scroll, if that makes sense.

I know I used to have it set like that on an old computer.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tunga posted:

I run Aurora, not gernerally to submit bugs (see earlier discussione) but just because I like to see what is coming. And honestly it's pretty drat stable, I generally have no issues with it.

Only thing is, I have no idea what has changed with each release. Is there a compiled list of notes somewhere? I'm not expecting one for every minor release but when 8 roles to 9 it'd be nice to see what I've gained so I can try it out. I know it's not like the old days but surely each version brings some kind of new feature?

The Mozillazine Forums have daily threads that track build changes.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Majorgeeks.com has offline installers (that don't need to download anything else/delete themselves on install) for Flash.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

dwazegek posted:

Is it just me, or does the 64bit Flash installer always install some McAfee poo poo, regardless of whether you opt out or not?

edit:
I managed to get a non-McAfee installer by stripping the "mssd" from you url: http://aihdownload.adobe.com/bin/install_flashplayer11x64_aih.exe

I didn't see any McAfee poo poo, nothing appears on my start menu or in add/remove programs.

Where is it and how do I get rid of it?

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:

Lum posted:

I didn't see any McAfee poo poo, nothing appears on my start menu or in add/remove programs.

Where is it and how do I get rid of it?

It was just listed in the add/remove programs list and removing it from there seems to have gotten rid of it. If it's not there, you probably don't have it. It was also displayed in the installer's progress dialogue, which was why I noticed it in the first place.

I'm not sure what caused it, but at the time I got served the same file whether or not I had the McAfee checkbox checked. I just checked again, and now I do get an installer without McAfee. :iiam:

edit:
Another issue, after installation, the installer starts Firefox to show a "You got flash" website. When it does this, Firefox is running under the same rights as the installer, i.e. as an Administrator.

dwazegek fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 7, 2011

Microsoft Spy
Jun 10, 2002

Corporate whore x2.

mobn posted:

This also leads to aforementioned crippling lag, and doesn't disable the screensaver, so it doesn't really count as a proper fullscreen implementation.

Your right it's not a proper full-screen, F11 is a different animal. We are actually working on Full-Screen (DOM) at the moment that would be a proper full screen. http://blog.pearce.org.nz/2011/09/mozilla-full-screen-api-progress-update.html

Microsoft Spy
Jun 10, 2002

Corporate whore x2.
Just an FYI, we are planning on offering a 3.6 -> 7.0 upgrade notice (some of you had killed off previous notices), these are one time offers from Moz and are not part of your usual upgrade notices. However, as some of you have already noticed Sync is having some back-end problems that are being worked on and instead of compounding that with a bunch of new users we are going to fix it first then do the upgrade offer.
For some more info check the blog of Christian Legnitto.
http://christian.legnitto.com/blog/2011/10/06/postponing-the-firefox-3-6-x-7-0-advertised-update/

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I recently switched back from chrome to FF7. What do I need to install to enable h.264 video playback in FF7? The Microsoft plugin isn't compatible with FF7 it seems.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

HKR posted:

I recently switched back from chrome to FF7. What do I need to install to enable h.264 video playback in FF7?

Flash, basically.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

trandorian posted:

Flash, basically.

And if I have flash installed and it still doesn't play back h.264 video?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

HKR posted:

And if I have flash installed and it still doesn't play back h.264 video?

Turn off html5 video.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

HKR posted:

I recently switched back from chrome to FF7. What do I need to install to enable h.264 video playback in FF7? The Microsoft plugin isn't compatible with FF7 it seems.

Bump your compatibility and install this.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Bump your compatibility and install this.

Thanks for the tip

Isurion
Jul 28, 2007
When I update to a new Firefox version, will it save the tabs I currently have open?

This seems dumb but it's the only thing that has kept me from upgrading.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Isurion posted:

When I update to a new Firefox version, will it save the tabs I currently have open?

This seems dumb but it's the only thing that has kept me from upgrading.

Yes.

Isurion
Jul 28, 2007
Wow, well that was probably the most painless update I've ever done for any software. Thanks for your help!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Isurion posted:

Wow, well that was probably the most painless update I've ever done for any software. Thanks for your help!

Out of interest, what version did you upgrade from?

Isurion
Jul 28, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Out of interest, what version did you upgrade from?

I was on whatever the latest automatic update of version 3 was.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Isurion posted:

I was on whatever the latest automatic update of version 3 was.

Gotcha. You noticing much in the way of speed improvement in the new version?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

There are a ton of very noticeable speed improvements. Every version since 3 has gotten faster in some way. 7 flies.

Isurion
Jul 28, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I only used it real quick before I had to head out but it seemed like a massive improvement.

I have a ridiculous amount of tabs open and the browser started up much faster and was using a lot less RAM.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Fangs404 posted:

There are a ton of very noticeable speed improvements. Every version since 3 has gotten faster in some way. 7 flies.

Oh I've been running betas, nightly builds etc as my primary browser since version 4. Just wish they'd get the UI off the main thread. If that makes sense?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Generally the UI is on the main thread. You want everything else off the main thread.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

Generally the UI is on the main thread. You want everything else off the main thread.

Aye that :-)

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Oh I've been running betas, nightly builds etc as my primary browser since version 4. Just wish they'd get the UI off the main thread. If that makes sense?
They're working on that under the Electrolysis project, the early results of which were to break out plug-ins into their own separate process (plugin-container.exe). Unfortunately Mozilla's development process doesn't really allow outsiders to follow along because it's so bug/mailinglist-centric, so it's hard to track the progress.

Captain Riggs
Nov 15, 2003

I'll draw his fire and you run for cover!
I have no idea if anyone will know anything about this here but I used to use something called Configurable Security Policies in firefox, (info here: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/components/ConfigPolicy.html) to disable annoying javascript on certain sites.

For example, I added the line
code:
user_pref("capability.policy.default.HTMLInputElement.focus", "noAccess");
to my prefs.js file in firefox's profile folder to prevent javascript from automatically focusing elements in pages (google's search box for example) and this worked fine until upgrading from FF3 to FF7 at which point it stopped working (the javascript still runs despite having this line in the file.) I even installed a completely fresh version of FF7 on a VM as a test and it still doesn't work.

Anbody know anything about this?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Appears to be a side effect of the long term effort of removing signed scripts and privileges.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Firefox has a password saved for a form on my company site. I recently had to change the password, but firefox won't let me update it. Is there a way to make it update it? I tried deleting the entry but it doesn't even offer to save it now.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It is possible that your company site added autocomplete=off to the password element sometime in between when you saved the password and when changed the password.

(Pro tip: if you use Firebug or whatever to delete the autocomplete=off attribute from the password input element, Firefox will save the password when you submit the form.)

GarlicPepper
May 31, 2004

I've noticed now that when I have a Youtube play list playing on fullscreen the video will revert back away from fullscreen in between videos. Before I upgraded to 7 the videos would remain in fullscreen without me having to do anything. Is this a Firefox issue? I also recently upgraded flash.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

GarlicPepper posted:

I've noticed now that when I have a Youtube play list playing on fullscreen the video will revert back away from fullscreen in between videos. Before I upgraded to 7 the videos would remain in fullscreen without me having to do anything. Is this a Firefox issue? I also recently upgraded flash.
I just tested and I'm seeing the same thing in Chrome so I'm guessing it's a change to Flash.

Edit: Flash 11.0.1.152.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 12, 2011

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
You guys have the latest versions of Flash?

GarlicPepper
May 31, 2004

Yes, newest version of flash. 11,0,1,152. Seeing as Alereon has the same issue, Flash must be the problem.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

pseudorandom name posted:

It is possible that your company site added autocomplete=off to the password element sometime in between when you saved the password and when changed the password.

(Pro tip: if you use Firebug or whatever to delete the autocomplete=off attribute from the password input element, Firefox will save the password when you submit the form.)

Or use this :)

http://cybernetnews.com/tweak-firefoxs-password-saver-without-an-extension/

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I have a Greasemonkey script for it already.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
The geolocation stuff that Firefox is capable of is pretty startling. I've seen services using my IP address get within about twenty kilometres of my house, but somehow Google Maps was able to locate me pretty much exactly.

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!

The Dark One posted:

The geolocation stuff that Firefox is capable of is pretty startling. I've seen services using my IP address get within about twenty kilometres of my house, but somehow Google Maps was able to locate me pretty much exactly.

While it's not strictly related to Firefox itself, I'd like to explain just how this method of geolocation works, as I think it's really a clever system.

So you know how Google drives every-freaking-place in those street view cars? Well, when they do they're also collecting all sorts of wifi data. Primarily SSIDs, MAC addresses, broadcast power, and signal strengths of access points. They poll these maybe once every second (just guessing, it may be (and probably is) much more often than that) and pair this data up with very high quality GPS locations. From there, they can triangulate the location of any given wireless router by its transmit power and received signal strength down to that startling accuracy you mentioned.

Now for Firefox's end. When a website asks for your location and you tell Firefox yes, Firefox polls the routers nearby. It sees, any routers that your wireless card is capable of seeing. It takes their SSIDs, MAC addresses, and signal strengths and gives them to Google. Google compares that data with their own, and can use that to put you on the map through standard triangulation and can pin your location down fairly accurately. Even if you're not connected to a router that's in Google's database.

If this system fails -- say because you live in the middle of bufu nowhere and they have not seen fit to send street view cars into your neighborhood -- Google will rely on the standard backup of IP-based geolocation and tell you that you're 2 towns over.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Alereon posted:

They're working on that under the Electrolysis project, the early results of which were to break out plug-ins into their own separate process (plugin-container.exe). Unfortunately Mozilla's development process doesn't really allow outsiders to follow along because it's so bug/mailinglist-centric, so it's hard to track the progress.

That's not quite what Electrolysis is (although it is necessarily a part of Electrolysis, it can be done completely independently of it, and they have been making some progress on it over time).

As far as Electrolysis progress, you can get a vague idea from the Electrolysis tracking bug. Obviously, it's far enough along that it Fennec has been using it for some time; from what I can gather I think the main obstacles for the desktop now are all of the desktop-related UI stuff, and add-on compatibility (a large number of add-ons will need potentially significant changes to be compatible with Electrolysis).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Zhentar posted:

That's not quite what Electrolysis is (although it is necessarily a part of Electrolysis, it can be done completely independently of it, and they have been making some progress on it over time).
Can you clarify how Electrolysis is different from what I described so I know where I misunderstood? My understanding is that Electrolysis is the overarching project to break more and more tasks out of the main Firefox process. The first phase of this project was Out Of Process Plug-ins, the next phase is Out Of Process Tabs (which he was asking about), and finally multiple processes per tab. I'm basically going off of the document I linked, which is clearly over a year old. Sadly the bug you linked is basically completely incomprehensible unless you're already a Mozilla developer.

On that note, I really wish Mozilla would find some way to deal with their Netscape-era development practices that make the project so horribly inefficient. They KNOW that Bugzilla is a black hole where filed bugs will never be looked at by anyone and where patches languish years waiting for reviews, yet all they seem to do about it is schedule bug days to sprint through a portion of the backlog, and they often still have more bugs at the end of the bug day than at the start. I see plenty of posts on Planet Mozilla from people recognizing the nearly insurmountable barriers to becoming a Firefox contributor, and they have a contributor engagement team, but things seem to keep getting worse with time.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 13, 2011