Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Filthy Monkey posted:

Any tips for these Anor Lando snipers? They seem to have loving ballistas for bows, and just trying to approach them wrecks me.

I drew this in MS Paint - hope this helps :downs:

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

RentCavalier posted:

Hey guys, got a quick question:

I'm looking to go fight the Capra Demon now. I'll be rekindling bonfires in nearby areas with some extra humanity beforehand, so I'll have ten flasks to tank with. My question is--what is the best Heavy Armor available to me right now? I've been rocking the Balder Armor or the Black Leather Armor depending on if I need strength or speed. I've just beaten the Titanite Demon and discovered Darkroot Basin but I can't go any further in that direction. I also beat the shield knight in the Parish. Is my armor good for now or is there a better suit that'll make things easier? I'm SL20 and I have the Drake's Sword and a +1 Hollow Shield (the Balder's Armor is +1 as well.)

There is a suit of Elite Knight armor in the woods, if you don't mind running to get it.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

invalid posted:

Rolling with this guy has been very painful this early, so I doubt I'll do any dodging unless I really must, so do you think a STR, ENDURO, VITAL with the odd faith and dex thrown in is a terrible idea for this guy?

I've been doing that but also wearing lighter armor + helpful rings to make sure I can roll fast. I can't imagine tanking some of the bosses in this game.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I've never played Demon Souls, I don't even have a PS3, but this game looks fun as hell and I really want to go buy it and sit inside all day today with it. Is there much of a story to this or is it mostly running through dungeons and the world and killing monsters?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

I've never played Demon Souls, I don't even have a PS3, but this game looks fun as hell and I really want to go buy it and sit inside all day today with it. Is there much of a story to this or is it mostly running through dungeons and the world and killing monsters?

The story is almost nonexistent and sort of occurs in the background. You will not mind.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

There is a suit of Elite Knight armor in the woods, if you don't mind running to get it.

How do I get there? And, uh...what would I be running from? :ohdear:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

The story is almost nonexistent and sort of occurs in the background. You will not mind.
Trying to figure out what is going on in the story behind your back is part of the fun.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Guliani is HOT posted:

I've been doing that but also wearing lighter armor + helpful rings to make sure I can roll fast. I can't imagine tanking some of the bosses in this game.

This is probably for the best. What Dex should I be aiming for (I was going to stay around 18 once I got there for a while

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan

Guliani is HOT posted:

You'd be surprised on what you can block with a lot of the early bosses. Since 100% physical shields are really common in this game compared to Demon's Souls blocking is much more powerful.

invalid posted:

This is probably for the best. What Dex should I be aiming for (I was going to stay around 18 once I got there for a while

20 for a specific bow later on, 24 if you want to use some of the sillier Dark Knight weapons and maybe a bit more. I'm not sure with Dex since I'm trying to relive the glory days of Faith Melee with a Divine Balder Side Sword.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

RentCavalier posted:

How do I get there? And, uh...what would I be running from? :ohdear:

If you go through the woods to the sealed door and turn right, you will ambushed. In that area is a fog door. Go through it. You'll see an item ball on the ground, it has the full set in it. Use a homeward bone to escape to safety, or run. Or die. Whichever.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Trying to figure out what is going on in the story behind your back is part of the fun.

Exactly. I enjoy that I seem to be a piece of the story and not what it revolves around.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

"The president has been kidnapped by ninjas! Are you a bad enough dude to save him?"

Phonics
Apr 6, 2009

by XyloJW
Are bosses stronger in co-op?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

I've been tanking all the bosses ever since I've gotten the Stone armor set and Havel's ring. I have Havel's armor/shield set too, but it's just marginally better and heavier than the Stone set. I can move/roll at medium speed just fine if necessary. Most of the time my greatshield absorbs everything.

I beat Ornstein and Smough on the first try by just tanking.

Poise/hyper armor in this game is incredible.

edit: took this screenshot 2 days ago
thisgame.png

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 8, 2011

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Double Monocle posted:

Thats where the ring is. Good luck!

Thanks! I rolled onto a ledge that a bow skeleton was on and saw that the floor wasn't a bottomless pit like I thought. Pinwheel was a pushover as well! I got the Mask of the Child which boosts stamina regen.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Geometry glitch got me killed in the gaping dragon fight. He was down to less than a quarter health, I'm trying to spring away to dodge his charge and instead of moving forward, it moved me a bit over to the side, in front of him so his front leg clipped me...and then his teeth hit me ='(

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan

Gyoru posted:

This is actually something I like in this game. You can have a defensive sort of character compared to rolling around like a dork in the first game. That was fun in its own right, but I like being able to wear some armor and block stuff too.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Gyoru posted:

I drew this in MS Paint - hope this helps :downs:

Ha, thanks a bunch, this is great. Yeah, rolling on that ledge is the thing that I was missing. I was trying to block, and that ended...poorly. Those knights are major jerks, and I really hope they don't respawn.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Where did the vendor outside of Blighttown go? It seems he was supposed to go to firelink but he's not there. The first guy there who doesn't really do anything is gone too. Am I hosed or something now since the fire keeper died? I just want to buy Smough's Armor :(

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I've played over a day so far .______. I have eighteen hours on one character alone.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Isn't it true you can use a weapon you don't have the str requirement for by using it two handed instead? I tried this with a new sword I got, but I still can't even use it 2-handed.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Love.

Just love.

I would talk more but must play more Dark Souls. Something that's making GBS threads on me right now, though - where can I get more transient curses? I used up my four and now I can't get anywhere in Ruins of New Londo :(

Oh and jesus loving jackson, gently caress catacombs. I think I may be venturing too far too early. I can't help it - I made about 12 attempts to kill the anvil headed demon next to the first blacksmith. I'm insane. I've killed...uh...two bosses so far.

EDIT: Oh and I've made it even harder on myself by having a thief build with a dagger and a spear. Lots of parrying and backstabbing in the 'combs.

Also, this game is the darkest game (thematically) I've played in forever. I love it. It's like a game directed by both Kafka and Lovecraft in a particularly gloomy and weird mood.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Megasabin posted:

Isn't it true you can use a weapon you don't have the str requirement for by using it two handed instead? I tried this with a new sword I got, but I still can't even use it 2-handed.

Using a weapon 2-handed gives you effectively STR x 1.5. If a weapon requires 30 STR, two-handing it with 20 STR would be fine.

Bad Bromance
May 20, 2010

Sorry, guys, I actually do still suck dick! :blush: Also my mom only lets me spend five bucks a month to get my cool gaga avatars back so I guess I'm stuck with this one for a while. :(
So I've invaded enough people through the forest hunter covenant to get the fog ring is there anything else I'm gonna get out of this or should I just kill the ninja for his cool ring?

Valkrye
Aug 11, 2008
What levels are people who are doing Ornstein and Smough.

I'm 50 and I can't see anyone around to summon, and I never get summoned in to help.

Am I too low or high you think?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Valkrye posted:

What levels are people who are doing Ornstein and Smough.

I'm 50 and I can't see anyone around to summon, and I never get summoned in to help.

Am I too low or high you think?

I was around 50, and there were two summon signs at the bonfire. So that may be the best place to check for them.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Ovaltine Jenkins posted:

Where did the vendor outside of Blighttown go? It seems he was supposed to go to firelink but he's not there. The first guy there who doesn't really do anything is gone too. Am I hosed or something now since the fire keeper died? I just want to buy Smough's Armor :(

He's in firelink, under the aqueduct leading to the burg. You'll have to jump across to reach him. He's right next to the corpse that you find/found the sacrifice ring on.

Aurra
Feb 3, 2006

I've beaten the Bell Gargoyles and Moonlight Butterfly, where should I go next? I'm around level 20 using a +2 Uchigatana and the armor I started with.

I'm trying to avoid as many spoilers as possible but I'm a little confused on where the next step up difficulty wise would be.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
So I appear to be trapped in the Catacombs.

I rolled off a cliff to land where the breakable wall with the bonfire is, near the second walkway level. If I try to go back, at the T-intersection where left is a dead drop, the right side is closed as well, and going further down into the catacombs gets my rear end kicked. Is there another way out or am I hosed here?

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Welp I think I've bugged out the dragon bridge or something. The goddamn dragon breathes fire non-stop without pause so I can't even get the safe alcove, even wearing no armor.

Guess I could grind up the souls in that horrid firebomb-bridge section beforehand and just plink the fucker to death from the other end tomorrow, assuming a bow would reach that far.

And that's while eating crossbow fire from the undead standing the middle. :toot:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
So I levelled a Scythe I found to +5 then gave it a divine enchant. I just found a chunk of white titanite that says +9 reinforce: divine weapon. +4 reinforce: occult weapon. Does that mean I have to de-enchant my weapon, level it to +9 then enchant it with the white titanite?

Lagos
Mar 17, 2004

Hates Loud Noise

Wildtortilla posted:

First of all the story isn't related to Demon's Souls, so don't worry about missing that. It's more of a spiritual successor (if anything the storyline is closer to King's Field, in my opinion).

More importantly, though, this is not a game that asks you to sit down and listen to the story as it walks you through a huge cutscene or long, long dialogue tracks. There's a story there, but as others have said, it's in the background. If you care about it, you can talk to NPCs and learn more about what's going on. But if you'd prefer to just do dungeon runs, there's that too.

Honestly, I find it very refreshing and tasteful. It's nice to have a game with a rich story/setting which nonetheless permits you to fill in the little details yourself.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ok, so Im back to the dude inside the barrel. Last time I whacked the barrel with my dragon tail sword thing and I hit the dude as well and he got really mad and I had to put him down. I dont want to do that again. What do I do?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Roll into the barrel.

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Ok, so Im back to the dude inside the barrel. Last time I whacked the barrel with my dragon tail sword thing and I hit the dude as well and he got really mad and I had to put him down. I dont want to do that again. What do I do?

Roll into the barrel for freedom!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Volitaire posted:

Roll into the barrel.

Noice! Now I dont have to euthanize the angry dude!

Lagos
Mar 17, 2004

Hates Loud Noise

Cao Ni Ma posted:

DO A BARREL ROLL

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bastard Priest
Jun 16, 2010

by Fistgrrl
goddamnit, i got the four kings down to a small sliver of health and died, after 5 hours of trying. i really want to join the Darkwraith covenant :(

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Gyoru posted:

I've been tanking all the bosses ever since I've gotten the Stone armor set and Havel's ring. I have Havel's armor/shield set too, but it's just marginally better and heavier than the Stone set. I can move/roll at medium speed just fine if necessary. Most of the time my greatshield absorbs everything.

I beat Ornstein and Smough on the first try by just tanking.

edit: took this screenshot 2 days ago
thisgame.png

Hmm that's interesting, I just killed the Wolf with Havel's Set after trying and failing a lot with my normal armor. Definitely viable although running around must be a pain in the rear end. Are you playing over 50% encumbrance? Also, where's the stone set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!
Any tips for the Capra Demon? I could kill him if his first attack I could dodge his first attack and take out the dogs.

• Locked thread