Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

To people who couldn't get the dragon to appear from the top of the tower: try removing his tail. As soon as I got the drake sword and went to the top of the tower, he was there.

Also, this drake sword...isn't that good? Granted I just got it at level 28...

It has really high base damage and no scaling whatsoever, which is why it's such a great weapon earlier in the game. Once you start being able to craft your own stuff and bump your stats up a bit it gets outclassed super quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004

Malachite posted:

How do you avoid the powered up executioner's charging attack? Almost every time I die, its due to that. Sometimes I can get through with a perfect double roll, but eventually I'll just get crushed.

Of course the answer is just block, since thats actually possible once one of them is dead. Over an hour spent to figure out such a simple thing, ugh.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

J posted:

I don't know where that is but do you happen to have a homeward bone you can use to warp back to the last bonfire? Or worst case scenario you can use the darksign to warp back even though it costs you all your souls and humanity. Either is better than just starting a brand new character.

My last bonfire is the one I'm stuck at. I'm trying to leave the catacombs entirely.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Agnostic watermelon posted:

And if you beat the boar, you get a totally rad helmet.

[e] One tip I have for new players is GET THE GODDAMN DRAKE SWORD. It makes combat so much easier when you only have to hit the weak ones once.

It's a random drop, I've killed three boars and none of them have dropped the helmet.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Defiant Sally posted:

Can anyone direct me to the Firekeepers Soul in Blighttown?
Go up the platform machine. The thing is back in the area filled with the toxic dart shooting fuckers. You need to climb a ladder or two after going up the machine, then hug the left wall into a sewer-like area where a lot of the dart dudes are. Climb down a ladder and fight some fire dogs, and the thing is on a corpse to your right.

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

My last bonfire is the one I'm stuck at. I'm trying to leave the catacombs entirely.
You sound like you are probably hosed, which sucks pretty bad. I assume you never hit the mechanism which flips that first bridge, so you can't cross back over.

Edit: Actually, I don't remember where the gecko room spits you out now. Maybe try seeing if the ladder at the end puts you on the other side of the bridge?

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 8, 2011

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Filthy Monkey posted:

You sound like you are probably hosed. I assume you never hit the mechanism which flips that first bridge, so you can't cross back over.

I did hit that one, but I got to the second one by jumping so what I assume is a door there never opened, and it can't open from this side.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

RentCavalier posted:

Oh wow Jesus you weren't kidding. I died on the first attempt to get it due to those stupid plant dudes and their grab attack (is that even blockable!?) and then I tried to be sneaky the second time and took the long way around, killed two plant dudes and this enormous sleeping stone knight who cast magic to slow me down or something! and crept over towards the item, only to get ambushed by two more plants (who I was expecting) and ANOTHER giant stone dude. I run past, grab the armor and my bloodstain, run away, hit a dead end with yet another giant stone dude, and try to run wearing heavier armor away from the quick enemies, end up getting grabbed and barely escaping...only to get sucker stabbed from three yards away!

I got the armor, but I'm scared to go get my 2000+ souls back. The real Dark Souls starts here.

Haha, I just did this and I feel bad for luring a poor phantom to his demise as well. I just didn't know what was ahead of us. :ohdear:

Serious though, gently caress those huge knights.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Has anyone figured out how you get the sword from great gray wolf sif?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
So every day is Blacksmithing day and I don't like to waste moneysouls, so let's get this poo poo started.

Is it worth it to upgrade Light armor like the Black Leather Armor? If I'm just reinforcing, are there any upgrade trees that I need to adhere to? Is it as unforgiving as Demon's Souls? Do I get anything for maxing out common shields like the Hollow shield or should I pump up this shiny new Knight shield I got? Or is it pretty much safe to just experiment and see what works?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just experiment. You can farm plenty of shards, or buy them.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

RentCavalier posted:

So every day is Blacksmithing day and I don't like to waste moneysouls, so let's get this poo poo started.

Is it worth it to upgrade Light armor like the Black Leather Armor? If I'm just reinforcing, are there any upgrade trees that I need to adhere to? Is it as unforgiving as Demon's Souls? Do I get anything for maxing out common shields like the Hollow shield or should I pump up this shiny new Knight shield I got? Or is it pretty much safe to just experiment and see what works?

If you want to use light armor, then upgrade your light armor. Having more defense for the same weight is never bad!

There are no branching upgrades for armor as far as I can tell, just the standard +5/+15 depending on the set.

There's a nice shield you can get by using a certain boss's soul on a +10 shield, so there's that if you want it. Otherwise just upgrade whatever shield fits your playstyle.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Thanks to whomever it was that suggested firebombing that goddamn Taurus Demon. Took like, 12 firebombs and perfect timing on blocking with the Hollow shield, but I did it. Also, not sure if this is a spoiler or not, so I'll spoiler it but: The armored bull you fight soon after, was he supposed to be that easy? I mean, all I did was lure him into the fire and he burned himself to death

Also, hell yes Baldur helm looks awesome. Now, to get a better weapon than this bog-standard spear...

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'm feeling a little bit stuck and would appreciate being pointed in the right general direction. This is right after I've rung one bell.

Last significant thing I did was beat the gargoyle boss in Undead Parish and ring the bell up there. After failing a couple times to get the items behind the dragon on the bridge, I gave up and headed back down to the Firelink Shrine. I next tried the graveyard, barely managing to get inside the cave before discovering what seemed to be an immortal skeleton and a dead end. (Perhaps it wasn't a dead end, hard to tell, I was busy running like hell from three skeletons.) I went back again to the Firelink Shrine and discovered the staircase that leads to the elevator into the Depths. Long story short, I'm out of curse items and I have no idea how to get past that loving multi-ghost chokepoint without them.

So where should I be going?

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Ledneh posted:

You misunderstand--I killed the boar (through dumb luck) already. It's getting back through there that is ruining me. And I can't upgrade my poo poo, how am I supposed to do that? I haven't seen a blacksmith!

Alright, this is literally what I do every time.

First, there's the guy before the area even starts. Kite him down, bait him into attacking, wreck his poo poo.

Next, the moment you step in there's an enemy to your right. Just popping in will aggro him, so you can back up again and take him out without much problem.

I forget if there's another guy standing still, if there is then just kite him like before. Get close enough to aggro, then back up. The spear guys will be aggro if they start slowly fumbling their way toward you, the sword guys will aggro by sprinting at you.

After you do this, climb the stairs and take out the shield guy there. It's helpful to keep him between you and the two crossbowmen. After you take him out, run past the crossbowmen on the bridge. You'll put yourself with a wall at your back, two shieldless hollows in front of you, and one shielded sword-wielder running up to meet you. At this point, just take the two crossbowmen out quick OR turtle up and plink away, its not that hard to time your attacks to coincide with the swordandboarders weak point.

And because you haven't reached there yet, here's another quick tip. Later on you'll come to a fork, there will be a longer path to your left and a short path leading to a caped knight on the right. Always go right first. If you don't, instead of fighting each caped knight you find mano-a-mano, you will end up aggroing this knight while fighting a different one, ending up in a particularly uncomfortable caped knight sandwich. Another pro tip: If caped knights with estocs/rapiers are holding their sword out and pointing it at you, only attack if you have a death wish.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

If anyone is having trouble with the Capra demon he's hilariously easy with multiple people. I'm sitting out here waiting to be summoned at SL 20. Done it twice so far and each time we destroyed him.

What do you guys think would be a good level to try and help people with the butterfly and gaping dragon?

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Man, this thread moves quick. I'll throw my question in again quickly - anyone know of a place to collect further transient curses (the dead men's hands)? I can't do New Londo Ruins without them.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

A BLACK PRESIDENT posted:

Also, not sure if this is a spoiler or not, so I'll spoiler it but: The armored bull you fight soon after, was he supposed to be that easy? I mean, all I did was lure him into the fire and he burned himself to death

Yep. Other ways of murdering it would be stabbing it in the butt, which would kill it in 1-2 hits, or luring it under the walkway above and plunge attacking it to death.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Gazmachine posted:

Man, this thread moves quick. I'll throw my question in again quickly - anyone know of a place to collect further transient curses (the dead men's hands)? I can't do New Londo Ruins without them.

I'm pretty sure the NPC in the first bell tower sells them. Possibly also the one in the aqueduct?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Any tips for Knight Lautrec? Him and his little pals keep kicking my rear end.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

acksplode posted:

I'm feeling a little bit stuck and would appreciate being pointed in the right general direction. This is right after I've rung one bell.

Last significant thing I did was beat the gargoyle boss in Undead Parish and ring the bell up there. After failing a couple times to get the items behind the dragon on the bridge, I gave up and headed back down to the Firelink Shrine. I next tried the graveyard, barely managing to get inside the cave before discovering what seemed to be an immortal skeleton and a dead end. (Perhaps it wasn't a dead end, hard to tell, I was busy running like hell from three skeletons.) I went back again to the Firelink Shrine and discovered the staircase that leads to the elevator into the Depths. Long story short, I'm out of curse items and I have no idea how to get past that loving multi-ghost chokepoint without them.

So where should I be going?

Go back to the beginning of the dragon bridge. You should have the key to a locked door there.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

RentCavalier posted:

Absolutely upgrade the Hollow Soldier Shield, it has the highest stability of the shields that I've found thus far. This means that you lose less stamina per hit, so if you upgrade that to a pretty insane degree you can absorb hits from pretty much anything short of the Stray Demon, and that's only because you don't have stellar magic defense.

I'll put it this way: I upgraded that poo poo as much as I could, went down to talk with Havel, and was consistently able to block every attack he threw at me. Never more than one at a time, mind you, but it's pretty easy to take one on the shield, dodge roll backwards, and sidestep until he fucks up and uses a move that leaves him open long enough for a backstab.

Phonics
Apr 6, 2009

by XyloJW
Holy poo poo sens fortress is jump scare hell.

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

Someone posted a bit about upgrading before but I can't seem to find it. I'm trying to upgrade a scimitar to +10 but the parish guy only upgrades to +6. Where can you upgrade to +10 and while I'm at it where can I then upgrade the scimitar with krags soul?

Also, just because it's bothering me, is there a fire in sens fortress? I did the whole area and killed the boss without finding one so I'm wondering if I missed something in there.

Finally, a gold tip is to buy the iron skin pyro spell. It makes a lot of tough enemies incredibly simple.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Also, is it possible to get the Drake sword with a crossbow? I haven't bought a bow yet, but one of the hollow sniper fucks dropped one, and I figure, it should be just as good.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

Thanks to whomever it was that suggested firebombing that goddamn Taurus Demon. Took like, 12 firebombs and perfect timing on blocking with the Hollow shield, but I did it. Also, not sure if this is a spoiler or not, so I'll spoiler it but: The armored bull you fight soon after, was he supposed to be that easy? I mean, all I did was lure him into the fire and he burned himself to death

Also, hell yes Baldur helm looks awesome. Now, to get a better weapon than this bog-standard spear...

You can get the Winged Spear fairly easily, if you are OK with going on a short suicide run. Behind the pool of water at firelink shirine is a graveyard, if you follow the path running past the skeletons you will find a body with the spear. The first body you find after the big skeleton is not it, its the one after you run up a short slope

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

So I beat Capra and am heading to the depths. Still using my starting armor and shield as a Knight with the Drake Sword. Where should I look to start upgrading my equipment? Also, what stats do I need to roll fast with good armor?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Partial Octopus posted:

Has anyone figured out how you get the sword from great gray wolf sif?

There are 2 swords (and a shield, which is amazing I might add, but it does require 34 str) you can make from Sif's soul. If you make a +10 out of most standard swords, you can ascend it into the cursed version of the artorias greatsword, whereas if you reinforce a broken straight sword or a straight sword hilt to +10, you can ascend that into the true greatsword of artorias. The smith in anor londo makes boss soul weapons.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Also, is it possible to get the Drake sword with a crossbow? I haven't bought a bow yet, but one of the hollow sniper fucks dropped one, and I figure, it should be just as good.

Only if you are prepared for a very frustrating experience.

You can't manually aim the crossbow, so it's a bit of a crap shoot.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
When do I need to start worrying about fulfilling the requirements for the Darkwraith covenant? I know I have to beat a boss earlier than normal and I don't want to miss it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Crowbear posted:

Go back to the beginning of the dragon bridge. You should have the key to a locked door there.

God dammit.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Leyburn posted:

Any tips for Knight Lautrec? Him and his little pals keep kicking my rear end.

Use the stairs to fight them 1:1. You just have to kill Lautrec to end the fight, but might as well kill the mage because he can drop a catalyst.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Megasabin posted:

When do I need to start worrying about fulfilling the requirements for the Darkwraith covenant? I know I have to beat a boss earlier than normal and I don't want to miss it.

Here's what the guide says - You need to kill the 4 kings (boss of the londo ruins) before you place the lordvessel (item you get after the boss of anor londo) on the firelink altar. Once you have the lordvessel, do NOT talk to the serpent in firelink shrine otherwise he will automatically teleport you to the altar and you have to put the lordvessel on it. Then when you kill the 4 kings, the darkwraith covenant guy should appear in the abyss for you to join darkwraith.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Whoever thought it was a great idea to put archers that fire lances at you, that send you backwards if you block, and then put them on a narrow path that you have to go on, can die.

I got past them the first time, and then I died. Now? Yeah, I've spent an hour now dying to them.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
What's the best way to deal with the big fat guys with clubs in Blighttown?

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

charismaslover posted:

What's the best way to deal with the big fat guys with clubs in Blighttown?

Strafe em, backstab em.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I bought the item from the Belltower guy that gives you the option to "report trespasser" or something like that. What does it actually do?

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anyone have any good advice for getting past the dragon? Lure it out onto the bridge and then just sprint your rear end off?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Foxhound posted:

I bought the item from the Belltower guy that gives you the option to "report trespasser" or something like that. What does it actually do?

I believe that if an invader kills you and you use it it puts their name in the Book of the Guilty.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I just lost 8000 souls by falling off the bridge that goes from the valley of drakes to blighttown :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelnow
May 29, 2009

What do you throw away that keeps returning?
Okay, this may sound dumb, but can I get some help with (garden boss) the Moonlight Butterfly?

I saw him fly down from the wall and he went past the bridge I'm standing on and just disappeared below. As far as I can tell, there's no way down off the bridge that wouldn't be death. I had two phantoms with me, and they just ran around aimlessly for a bit before leaving back for their world, so I'm assuming he's supposed to come back? It's been several minutes since I've seen him and I don't hear him anymore. What obvious thing am I missing? Or has he glitched?

• Locked thread