Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!
I've been doing okay, but I feel like starting as a Knight was a huge mistake. I don't hit very hard (I only hit for 80-100 a swing) and I'm ridiculously slow. I know they say classes don't matter, but I've put so many points into strength and I still hit like a wimp.

In addition, I accidentally hit the merchant, and now he's camping my corpse so I can't really do much at the moment other then revive and die ad nauseam. Is it better to just start over - I'm sad about it, because I have 8 hours logged in, but I seemed pretty doomed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Level 55 and still never had to farm souls.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

kater posted:

So what happens if you just ignore the 2nd bell/whatever is after Capra and continue past the Parish blacksmith into Darkroot? The butterfly was pretty easy to kill and none of these mobs are particularly dangerous. Am I going to get utterly destroyed if I grind out the 20k to open the big shiny door? I have no idea how much of the game I'm trying to skip.

No, you can explore Darkroot as much as you like, and the 20k door is absolutely worth it. There's probably a couple things in there that will kill you at this point but the door is a great place to farm souls.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

GRINK HELCH posted:

I've been doing okay, but I feel like starting as a Knight was a huge mistake. I don't hit very hard (I only hit for 80-100 a swing) and I'm ridiculously slow. I know they say classes don't matter, but I've put so many points into strength and I still hit like a wimp.

In addition, I accidentally hit the merchant, and now he's camping my corpse so I can't really do much at the moment other then revive and die ad nauseam. Is it better to just start over - I'm sad about it, because I have 8 hours logged in, but I seemed pretty doomed.

What weapon are you using? Does it scale with your strength? Have you upgrade it so that the scaling gets better?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

GRINK HELCH posted:

Knight is actually the easiest class because Knight armour is marginally worse (and slightly lighter) than the Elite Knight armour that people will do suicide runs to get so they can actually stand up to Capra.

Also if you do end up fighting something that needs mobility like a Black Knight, just unequip your armor. You can block pretty much anything.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules
I went into the depths for the first time and fell into one of those drat holes down to the area with the bug-eyed frogs and managed to survive them and get to the Gaping Dragon. I beat him on my first try with the NPC summon :coal:. However, I am now trapped down here and have no idea where the nearest bonfire or way back up to the surface is, at half HP, with no flasks and 36k souls. Any hints as to where a bonfire is? I hope I don't have to head down past the blighttown door I opened since I can she some bad looking dudes down there.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I'm at the last bonfire before the boss of Anor Londo. I got to the boss once with a kind fellow named ZOA-ANIMALIA guiding me around and killing everything, but everything here pretty much overpowers me it seems like. Is there any way to get out of here and go try the catacombs or something? I had to jump down to the doorway so I can't figure a way out...

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

So how exactly are you supposed to fight Ceaseless discharge? It doesn't seem to be possible to dodge its main attack.

Professor Latency posted:

Just run back to where the fog door was. He'll glitch out and die.

I mean. If you're into that sort of business.

vvvv Nah, you can get another one in Blighttown, and I'm pretty sure there are more, but you've missed the opportunity to upgrade it a second time.

It's not a glitch though. The boss has a special animation when you kill it that way like From Software added it intentionally. :haw:

Ceaseless Discharge will have one arm holding on to the ledge for dear life before losing his grip and plummeting to his death.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
How do you get the fog ring anyway? I joined the covenant. Do you need to be in human form to be able to kill invaders? I'm wearing the ring as well.

Progject
Apr 23, 2006

Right... I got this yesterday and started as a wanderer. I've been playing for an unbelievable 8 hours already and I'm still grinding Undead Burg and cannot beat the Taurus Demon!

My friend started the same time but chose Warrior class but then restarted as a sorcerer and he is now way past where I am and doesn't think the game is that hard anymore.

Am I doing something wrong here.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Why do people keep talking about rolling like it's the be-all end-all of combat in this game? I've been invaded ten times and even in my full plate I've never thought 'gently caress, if only I could roll farther!' Nine times out of ten it's easier to just kick your opponent and stagger them then it is to throw your dumb rear end all across the battlefield.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
I was grinding those stone armor knights in the Darkroot Garden to get 20k souls for the door with the seal and got 3 stone shields and 2 stone swords. Too bad that I need like 40 strength to use them :pwn:

Picked up some stone armor as well beyond the sealed gate and felt unstoppable for a while, but then the huge wolf with a sword in its mouth destroyed me. :smith: I think that I'll turn around and start on Blighttown before I try my hand at that boss again.

Bastard Priest
Jun 16, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Anyone know where i can find the ring of steel protection?

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

What weapon are you using? Does it scale with your strength? Have you upgrade it so that the scaling gets better?

I'm using just a broad sword. I haven't upgraded it because I'm stuck at the bonfire being attacked by the merchant. Is there a way to apologize to the merchant, because I haven't quite figured that out.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Sultan Tarquin posted:

How do you get the fog ring anyway? I joined the covenant. Do you need to be in human form to be able to kill invaders? I'm wearing the ring as well.

You need to rank up the forest covenant to at least Rank 2 to get the Mist Ring. You rank up by repelling forest invaders/players.

vvv I'm assuming yes since most of the multiplayer elements are available only when you're in Human form. I'm not in the forest covenant myself.

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 8, 2011

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Gyoru posted:

You need to rank up the forest covenant to at least Rank 2 to get the Mist Ring. You rank up by repelling forest invaders/players.

Aaannd...you do that in human form? or is it just a random thing while wearing the ring?

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Gyoru posted:

It's not a glitch though. The boss has a special animation when you kill it that way like From Software added it intentionally. :haw:

Ceaseless Discharge will have one arm holding on to the ledge for dear life before losing his grip and plummeting to his death.

Aw man, I wish I had known about that, I just killed him and I would love to see it.

Then I made the mistake of venturing in the newly opened area :v:

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Now you know how to farm souls. Congrats!

Quick question. Do you need to run up the stairs and hop off or just run around to the outside of them?

AaronB
Jan 9, 2011
Anyone know where to go here?: I'm in Anor Londo, I've lowered the turning bridge and I'm stuck at the part with the large set of stairs and two of the halberd knights and some gargoyles further down. I just don't see a path to take. I keep banging my head against it. I've started making suicide runs to see if I can find a way.

AaronB fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 8, 2011

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Ugh, had enough of Blight town for today. I was on the swamp floor with flies and poo poo constantly respawning and came across 2 big guys chucking boulders and charging at me and they wrecked my poo poo.

Was I even going the right way? Does anyone know if there is a bonfire close by that I might have missed? It's going to suck going from the top all the way back down again.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
:woop: I found a way out! I saw a small ledge I could roll to and then another from there that lead me to a switch to open the locked door. And I got a kickass scythe along the way!

edit: Scythe owns for the catacombs.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 8, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Pretty much every weapon I try can't hit the boss of new londo ruins reliably, can anyone recommend a weapon or type of weapon that can?

Rynyin
Feb 10, 2006

H.Y.C.Y.BH?

Sultan Tarquin posted:

When you have the ring equipped you get summoned randomly whenever someone enters the forest. You don't have to be human. If you kill the trespasser or if they die from another phantom or anything really you get some souls, potentially an upgrade stone and sent back to where you were before. After 3 dead trespassers you get the Fog Ring from the cat.

I didn't know that joining the covenant would prevent me from farming souls, although the invading is so much fun I don't even care. Even if you die while invading you don't lose any souls and get sent back to the last bonfire so it's pretty low risk. I did get my name added to the book of the guilty apparently though.

Also to anyone doing the farming technique, according to the wiki one of the semi-invisible npcs there is unique and won't respawn. He also apparently drops a unique bow and hat so be careful when you let the enemies fall to their deaths.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

GRINK HELCH posted:

I'm using just a broad sword. I haven't upgraded it because I'm stuck at the bonfire being attacked by the merchant. Is there a way to apologize to the merchant, because I haven't quite figured that out.

Just kill the guy. Practice parry/riposte. I have no idea which merchant can camp you at a campfire though...

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

Professor Latency posted:

"response to question about soul farming": This place is perfect.

Do people prefer this method to chilling at the same level and helping other players with a boss (for instance, Gaping Dragon)?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's really lovely how the camera and controls are leading to my death more than any enemy. Why on earth do they "queue" up attacks when stunned? Why does dodging sometimes actually mean "three hit combo"?

Also I was reading on covenants and I think I want to join the Gravelords. How does their invading system work?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

charismaslover posted:

Ugh, had enough of Blight town for today. I was on the swamp floor with flies and poo poo constantly respawning and came across 2 big guys chucking boulders and charging at me and they wrecked my poo poo.

Was I even going the right way? Does anyone know if there is a bonfire close by that I might have missed? It's going to suck going from the top all the way back down again.

That's the right way. You need to go in the little hole in the ground behind the boulder guys, but you can run right past them. I wasn't able to fight them successfully, at least.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

It's really lovely how the camera and controls are leading to my death more than any enemy. Why on earth do they "queue" up attacks when stunned? Why does dodging sometimes actually mean "three hit combo"?

Also I was reading on covenants and I think I want to join the Gravelords. How does their invading system work?

Basically, you put a mark on the ground that appears in three other people's games. While this mark is active, black phantom enemies will attack that player. However, should the invaded player find the mark, they can invade your world.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Basically, you put a mark on the ground that appears in three other people's games. While this mark is active, black phantom enemies will attack that player. However, should the invaded player find the mark, they can invade your world.

Do the phantoms wander randomly, or is it around the mark?

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
How do spell scrolls work in this game? Are they limited-use items?

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
Is there a quick way back to the surface from the Ash Lake? I've never felt so far away from civilization.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bastard Priest posted:

Anyone know where i can find the ring of steel protection?

In Sen's Fortress. When you first see the Indiana Jones boulders run all the way up the stairs they're falling down.

What do you guys think would be a good SL for being summoned to gaping dragon and moonlight butterfly?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
5 fps Blighttown is almost enough for me to stop playing this game, ugh.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

Do people prefer this method to chilling at the same level and helping other players with a boss (for instance, Gaping Dragon)?

You know, I doubt it, but I can't connect my ps3 to the internet.

Also regarding the ring of steel protection, it's garbage.

The Moon Monster posted:

What do you guys think would be a good SL for being summoned to gaping dragon and moonlight butterfly?

Like 20. Those bosses aren't very difficult solo, I couldn't imagine how easy it would be with someone else.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

So does anyone know a decent way to farm humanity? Even in human form with the drop rate increase ring, I get like one humanity for every 30 rats. I figured I could just farm souls in the forest and use them to buy humanity off the sewer merchant, but it seems she will only sell you a single humanity before she's out of stock. I just don't want to look like a hamburger anymore :( Anywhere I can farm titanite chunks would also be wonderful.

charismaslover posted:

Yeah, that's the right way. And there is a bonfire in the swamp area. When you see the giant waterwheel, it's in an alcove a bit to the right of that. There's also another bonfire just inside a giant tree on the other end of the swamp, behind two illusionary doors.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 8, 2011

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

How do spell scrolls work in this game? Are they limited-use items?

You can assign them to your spell slots at a bonfire. They have limited charges, but are refilled when you rest. If you have multiple scrolls of the same spell you can assign them to multiple slots for increased maximum charges.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Hahahaha, this game just accidentally threw me a huge bone. I just found a hell of a bug: (early game spoilers) I went up the tower that immediately precedes the first metal hog you fight, the one with a knight at the top. I killed the knight and proceeded to fire one single arrow into the back of the dragon, not sure where, around the top of his back. He screeched then clipped through the bridge and flew down. He disappeared, his screech sound file ended abruptly and, about 20 seconds later, I got 10,000 souls!.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
What weapon types should I upgrade to elemental? I was going to use the zweihander but it's super slow, and the halberd has a retarded straight attack animation. Any other suggestions?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Go damnit From. I've been looking forward to this game for so long and what do they do? They throw in Man Eater 2.0 as the second boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valkrye
Aug 11, 2008

Pastrami posted:

Go to the bonfire in the depths. Go outside and take a right, go straight past the ladder, turn right. There are about 5-6 rats. They all have a chance to drop humanity. That's the best place so far, but I am not too far. Just rung the second bell.

Huge thanks for this, and as an added bonus the slime there drop large shards!

• Locked thread