Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

From Blighttown am I supposed to go the Demon Ruins or backtrack to the gate that opened when I Rang the second bell?

Backtrack AFTER you find the Fire Keeper spider-lady behind the illusory wall at the bottom of the stairs before the Demon Ruins and light the bonfire. You don't want to go too deep without the Lordvessel, which you get from visiting Anor Londo and will allow you to teleport from certain bonfires. It saves a TON of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Gyoru posted:

It's not a glitch though. The boss has a special animation when you kill it that way like From Software added it intentionally. :haw:

Ceaseless Discharge will have one arm holding on to the ledge for dear life before losing his grip and plummeting to his death.

I can't manage to get him to follow me to the fog gate.

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

I'm going to make sweet love to him! FROM THE BACK!!
RRRRRRRRR

Valkrye posted:

Where can you break down shards btw?

After you ring both bells, this giant worm guy shows up at Firelink who will break down shards fir you. He's also the guy who you can sell items to.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

EvilCornbread posted:

Very early in the game, totally noob player, and I'm really not getting how I'm supposed to be playing this. I'm past the prologue area and at the second bonfire in the Undead Burg, up the stairs right after the initial bonfire.

Are you going into the area with the enemies (to get their attention), and then running back to the area near the bonfire? You should. The platform near the bonfire is a great "staging" area for fighting those guys, and it keeps you out of the way of the firebombs raining down on you.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is there some trick to being summoned I don't know about? Like doing something with my router? If I just leave the game on and go do something else I average something like 1 summon every 4 hours. There's always some signs on the ground for me to summon when I look. Do people just not know how the multiplayer works or something?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
So after playing for around 5-6 hours I discovered the worst enemy in the game.

The Camera. Dear God what a pain in the rear end. I died more times jerking around the right stick than anything else. In the open it's not too bad but in houses or small corridors it turns to poo poo.

Also thanks to all who helped me across the bridge. Now a huge bull-demon is kicking my rear end. :v: Still better then the die-sometimes-or-not dragon bridge. I was only able to cross it because my game glitched out and I didn't take any damage from the flames even if I walked through it.

Also, I was finally able to level up. Do enemies level up with you? Because ever since I went from level 4 to 12 enemies are a lot tougher.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Jetpack Postman posted:

Backtrack AFTER you find the Fire Keeper spider-lady behind the illusory wall at the bottom of the stairs before the Demon Ruins and light the bonfire. You don't want to go too deep without the Lordvessel, which you get from visiting Anor Londo and will allow you to teleport from certain bonfires. It saves a TON of time.

Is the NPC that looks exactly like one of the enemy mobs in the area important? I aggroed him before I realized he wasn't just a generic enemy.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Red Mundus posted:

So after playing for around 5-6 hours I discovered the worst enemy in the game.

The Camera. Dear God what a pain in the rear end. I died more times jerking around the right stick than anything else. In the open it's not too bad but in houses or small corridors it turns to poo poo.

Also thanks to all who helped me across the bridge. Now a huge bull-demon is kicking my rear end. :v: Still better then the die-sometimes-or-not dragon bridge. I was only able to cross it because my game glitched out and I didn't take any damage from the flames even if I walked through it.

Also, I was finally able to level up. Do enemies level up with you? Because ever since I went from level 4 to 12 enemies are a lot tougher.

The same enemies will be tougher if you find them in later areas, but they don't scale based on your level at all.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Cake Attack posted:

Is the NPC that looks exactly like one of the enemy mobs in the area important? I aggroed him before I realized he wasn't just a generic enemy.

The egg-sac dude? If so, he's a pyromancy trainer and part of one of the covenants that you probably won't want to join if you aren't a pyromancer anyway.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Does anyone know where I could farm some Titanite Chunks? Wants me some more lightning goodness on my sword. :)

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Cake Attack posted:

From Blighttown am I supposed to go the Demon Ruins or backtrack to the gate that opened when I Rang the second bell?

Go to the Demon Ruins and kill the boss, he's very easy but don't go into the area that's unlocked once you beat him. After that go to the gate you saw

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Crowbear posted:

The egg-sac dude? If so, he's a pyromancy trainer and part of one of the covenants that you probably won't want to join if you aren't a pyromancer anyway.

Good, I'm entirely melee so I don't really care about having him dead.

Valkrye
Aug 11, 2008
Found this on gamefaqs, it's a list of things you can drop for the crow at the asylum and what you get in return. This is spoilers obviously and I also have no idea how accurate this is so use at your own risk!

Bloodred Moss Clump ---> Twinkling Titanite
Blooming Purple Moss Clump ---> Twinkling Titanite x2
Cracked Red Eye Orb ---> Purging Stone x2
Dried Finger ---> Blue Titanite Chunk
Dung Pie ---> Demon Titanite
Egg Vermifuge ---> Dragon Scale
Humanity ---> Ring of Sacrifice
Pendant ---> Souvenir or Reprisal
Prism Stone ---> Demon Titanite
Pyromancy Flame ---> Red Titanite Chunk
Pyromancy Flame ---> Red Titanite Slab
Purple Moss Clump ---> Twinkling Titanite
Rubbish ---> Titanite Chunk
Ring of the Sun Princess ---> Divine Blessing x2
Sack ---> Demon's Great Hammer
Skull Lantern ---> Ring of Fog
Sunlight Maggot ---> Old Witch's Ring
Sunlight Medal ---> White Titanite Chunk
Twin Humanities ---> Rare Ring of Sacrifice
Xanthous Crown ---> Ring of Favor and Protection

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Ok I just saw that Patches will sell you stuff if you don't kill him in the catacombs. Any idea what he sells?

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
I started as a Cleric, but since it looks like you never get starved on health potions, is it even a good beginner build?

I restarted Demon's Souls like 4 times until I wound up with the Ranger since I could still play hand-to-hand but still puss out and kill stuff with a bow and beat half the bosses without trying.

What's the easiest starting class on Dark Souls?

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
So if I have a magic weapon, can I attack ghosts?

Tuckleberry
Aug 30, 2009

EvilCornbread posted:

Very early in the game, totally noob player, and I'm really not getting how I'm supposed to be playing this. I'm past the prologue area and at the second bonfire in the Undead Burg, up the stairs right after the initial bonfire.

There are bunch of guys raining fire on my head, so I can't ever fight out in the open. I don't have any ranged attacks, so I can't pick them off. Many of the areas have 3-4 guys waiting to attack me, which means I always get hit in the back a couple times as I flail around swinging my sword (I'm the Knight class).

On the rare chance that I make up through the castle a bit, I encounter a polearm/shield guy who totally kicks my rear end. I've read that kicking him is a good strategy, but I'm still pretty inconsistent in even being able to kick when I want to, and when I did manage to kick him he didn't seem to mind it at all.

Should I just grind levels from respawning easy guys around the bonfire? Practice riposting more (which I'm terrible at, not having learned the timing of all the enemy attacks)? Is this actually an area I should be working on making my way through, or is there a better place for me to go?
You should probably run away more. A lot of mobs of enemies you're going to have to drag back into a safe zone and kill them 1/2 at a time. The really sweet looking guys with the huge gently caress off swords I don't think you're really supposed to be able to kill yet. I just skip them.

I also have trouble kicking though... I sometimes kick when I don't mean to, and when I want to kick I can never manage to get it off.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

So how do I get to this supposedly easy Moonlit Butterfly? I've been in Darkroot Gardens a bit and got Elite Knight's armor but that area where I got it seems to be full of tough gigantic enemies that slow me. Am I heading the wrong way?

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

So if I have a magic weapon, can I attack ghosts?

Nope. You have to use a temporary curse. They drop them fairly frequently and you should have a couple on hand.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

bewilderment posted:

So how do I get to this supposedly easy Moonlit Butterfly? I've been in Darkroot Gardens a bit and got Elite Knight's armor but that area where I got it seems to be full of tough gigantic enemies that slow me. Am I heading the wrong way?

That's the right way. There are a handful of those knights, but if you strafe behind them at all times you should be able to take them down in between their swings, even if they slow you. The trick is to stay very close-range to them.

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

bewilderment posted:

The tough gigantic guys are slow, just run in and stay along the right side, there is a stair case with a guy right in front, run up the stair case to the very top there's the fog door, if you want you can stay and kill the stone guys they get stuck and can't go all the way up the stairs so it's a safe place to kill them.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.
Just killed the iron boar by repeatedly (back)stabbing it the rear end in a top hat with my dagger.

I love this game.

oneliquidninja fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 9, 2011

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

bewilderment posted:

She's in there through a ruined building.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.

gigawhite posted:

Nope. You have to use a temporary curse. They drop them fairly frequently and you should have a couple on hand.

Alternately when you inevitably get cursed for real you can go down there and go to town. You can either do the whole thing, farm up transient curses for coming back with a full health bar, or get lucky and get the ghost sword that they drop rarely. It always hits ghosts.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

I highly recommend you continue to kill the next boss because you get some really incredible armor that I'm still using. Look up the strategy for him because he's really easy once you know what to do.

McTimmy posted:

Oh she's an NPC? I got a message I had been invaded right after I reversed my hollowing and thought she was a Player. But, her summon sign was white. Huh.

The orange summon sign indicates a member of the warriors of sunlight covenant. There's no differentiation between player and NPC summons (except, of course, players usually have stupid names).

bewilderment posted:

You almost reached the boss. If you circle around them you only have to kill one to reach it.

CrunchyTaco
Dec 25, 2007

I was dicking around and found all the Stone Armor set. I imagine I won't be using any other armor for the rest of the game since it's about 3x as good as the next best armor.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

gotly posted:

I started as a Cleric, but since it looks like you never get starved on health potions, is it even a good beginner build?

I restarted Demon's Souls like 4 times until I wound up with the Ranger since I could still play hand-to-hand but still puss out and kill stuff with a bow and beat half the bosses without trying.

What's the easiest starting class on Dark Souls?

All the classes are just a set of starting equipment and stats - you can wear anything and set your stats to anything. It was the same in Demon's souls - the ranger class is no better at shooting stuff than any other class.

Epée
Jun 17, 2003

The Black Goat
What does the 'seek guidance' spell do, and how exactly do I use it?

I've attuned it using a bonfire, it's loaded in my HUD and has 5 charges – how do I activate it?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

CrunchyTaco posted:

I was dicking around and found all the Stone Armor set. I imagine I won't be using any other armor for the rest of the game since it's about 3x as good as the next best armor.

It makes you hell of slow though so I hope you either have 40 endurance or hate dodging.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Epée posted:

What does the 'seek guidance' spell do, and how exactly do I use it?

I've attuned it using a bonfire, it's loaded in my HUD and has 5 charges – how do I activate it?

Seek guidance makes more of those player dropped orange signs show up.

To cast miracles you have to have a talisman equipped then press the either R1 or L1 depending on if it's in your main hand or off hand respectively.

Edit: So my main character now is using the Gargoyle helm, Havel's armor, Gold trimmed dress, and leather gloves. He looks utterly ridiculous. I always wear havel's ring so I'm able to do the medium speed roll too.

CrunchyTaco
Dec 25, 2007

The Wise Teen posted:

It makes you hell of slow though so I hope you either have 40 endurance or hate dodging.

Well there's no difference between having 50% and 90% of your weight load taken up, so it's just like I started playing a knight instead of a warrior.

thiscommercialsucks
Jun 13, 2009

by T. Mascis

Tuckleberry posted:

The really sweet looking guys with the huge gently caress off swords I don't think you're really supposed to be able to kill yet. I just skip them.
I beat the guy you're talking about. The tall, dark knight at the bottom of the stairs in the Undead Burg, right before the Taurus Demon. I basically threw a few firebombs at him, then dragged him back to an open area, then spent about 10 minutes killing him 1 hit at a time.

I realized that one attack he does gave me an opening to hit him. So I just waltzed around in circles and eventually killed him and had a bunch of souls.

Then I died and failed to Recover.

I hate Undead Burg I've killed these skeletons 85 times.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think I waited too long to join the forest covenant. I'm lvl 69 and haven't been summoned once with the ring on in hours. Booo. The fog ring is pretty key for invading I think.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Stele007 posted:

I highly recommend you continue to kill the next boss because you get some really incredible armor that I'm still using. Look up the strategy for him because he's really easy once you know what to do.

Do you mean Ceaseless Discharge? Because I've already beaten him, I was just wondering if I should go down the way where Capra demons

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
4 Guys invaded me in the woods so far, two at a time. I've killed them all. :smug:

They're scared to attack someone wearing Havel's armor
Edit: 6

Draven fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 9, 2011

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

Do you mean Ceaseless Discharge? Because I've already beaten him, I was just wondering if I should go down the way where Capra demons

Yes, I do. I haven't gone past the boss yet, so I honestly couldn't tell you. My friend said he got some weapon upgrade unlocks there, but I don't know if it's be useful right now.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dirty Job posted:

So I just killed that drake with a single arrow from on top of the knight's tower overlooking the bridge. It just disappeared, then the next thing I know I'm getting 10k souls. It was awesome.

I know this is from a while ago (thread moves too goddamn fast) but, what's up with this? I've been trying this for a while now, but no matter what I do, he's gone by the time I get up to the top of the tower. What gives? And I pumped over 500 Wooden Arrows into his rear end, but to no effect, since he kept healing all the drat time.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

Crowbear posted:

The Chaos Servant covenant is very useful to rank up. It allows access to Chaos pyromancy spells. Pyromancy is dependent on the upgrade level of your Flame Glove instead of stats so even melee characters benefit from learning a few spells. Once your rank is high enough, a permanent shortcut to Lost Izalith is unlocked. This shortcut saves a massive amount of time. You can even skip the boss of that area with it.

You can use any learned Chaos spells and access the shortcut even if you leave the abandon covenant via the NPC on the 1st belltower.

Since joining the Chaos Servants is also the only way to open that shortcut, it's also the only way to save Solaire and have him join you in the final battle.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
gently caress you Snuggly, what the hell?

I have wasted 3 cracked red eye stones (and now only have one left) trying to trade for a curse-curing stone. I drop the item on the bridge, quit and reload, and nothing! No matter where I drop the item, I get no acknowledgement and I get no new item. WHYYYYY? It's such a pain to get back here...I'm gonna cry...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

RentCavalier posted:

gently caress you Snuggly, what the hell?

I have wasted 3 cracked red eye stones (and now only have one left) trying to trade for a curse-curing stone. I drop the item on the bridge, quit and reload, and nothing! No matter where I drop the item, I get no acknowledgement and I get no new item. WHYYYYY? It's such a pain to get back here...I'm gonna cry...

You have to actually put it in the nest, not on the bridge.

• Locked thread