Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

DeathSandwich posted:

So I just made the dragon bone fist from a +10 cestus and Iron golem's soul

I want those souls back.

It's basically the fist of god from demons souls if the fist of god didn't have magic damage tied to it. And the base damage is rather poo poo. The weak swing is decently fast though and doesn't use much stamina at all. It'd probably do all right if I had any sort of weapon enchantment spell (I dont).

Go talk to the lady behind the grate in the Lower Undead Burg -> Firelink shortcut in the aqueduct and pick up some Fire/Poison weapon buff items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Couple questions as I preuse this thread:

1. How does one return to the Asylum? I picked up a key for something there, and also would like to dabble with the crow's nest stuff.

2. The only opportunity I've seen for joining a covenant is the guy at Firelink Shrine who teaches you Miracles. My most recent accomplishments in the game have been killing the Gaping Demon in the Depths, killing the Butterfly, killing Havel. Anything I should have come across yet, or should I just be patient and keep moving forward?

I'm assuming the next place I will be headed is the Valley of Drakes, as its the only place I can think of that I've explored and been able to make any real headway in, and because gently caress the ghost Ruins and the Catacombs.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Meme Emulator posted:

I thought you could double up on spells? Like slot them twice to get 2x casts? Im really getting in trouble in Sens Fortress because I run out of casts and im not beefy enough to fight the monsters on my own. Even magic weapon doesnt help that much.

What upgrade path should I take for an int scaling weapon?

To double up on spell charges you need 2 or more copies of the spell scroll. For Int scaling go magic into enchanted.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Elysiume posted:

What objects can drop things? I'm talking about pots, barrels, bookshelves, etc. What should I be hitting with my sword other than enemies?

Pots with bodies in them will drop an item every time. Nothing else apart from treasure chests will drop items

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Gyoru posted:

Amazon dropped the price of the official hardcover guide to $13.74 right after they shipped my copy Friday for $24 :argh:
http://amzn.to/qB8tEP

After sending me a Collector's Edition with a completely demolished tin one day late, they'd better not loving burn me by not letting me cancel the $25 dollar order I just placed yesterday. God drat it, Amazon, you are testing my patience. The least you could do is give me that loving guide for cheap.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Go talk to the lady behind the grate in the Lower Undead Burg -> Firelink shortcut in the aqueduct and pick up some Fire/Poison weapon buff items.

Speaking of these, they don't work on my Black Knight Sword?

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Huh. Well, considering how I was tearing my hair out about the Gargoyle boss yesterday, the Capra Demon was practically a walk in the park. I died the first couple of times, but once I got rid of the two dogs, it was a simple matter of blocking and attacking. I used the Drake Sword I got from shooting the dragon's tail, but I think I could've won even without it. Oh, and just today I found that merchant in Undead Burg. Could've made use of him earlier. :downs:

Regarding the dragon, the strangest thing happened. I shot the dragon numerous times and it didn't seem I was doing a lot of damage, so I took care of business elsewhere. As I was climbing up the ladder from the lower Burg, I heard this huge roar and got a buttload of souls. I kept climbing and saw the dragon dissolving. Seems kind of cheap, but I can't complain too much. Has that happened to anyone else?

Anyways, now that I have close to 20K souls, I'm thinking of buying that item for the forest which opens that special door. Since I'm going to go there eventually, I might as well get it now in case I lose these souls. There's no other way of opening it as far as anyone knows, though?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

The.GreyWolf posted:

Some weapons are unenchantable, and I think the Black Knight Sword is one of those weapons.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Any idea what "raw" means for weapons? I'm looking at turning my winged spear+5 into either a winged spear+6 or a "raw winged spear" but I don't know what that actually means.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

This game is so loving awesome. I just had an epic journey on my quest to kill the Titanite Demon near the blacksmith.

I knew I could run past him to get to Darkroot Garden, and I did that and did some grinding around, but the presence of that unkilled demon annoyed me and I decided to kill him. So I ran back past him, into the Undead Burg, and killed the Black Knight and a bunch of mooks to get some souls.

Then I remembered I had the key to get to the lower part of Undead Burg, so I went down there and died a few times to those stabby dudes who like to slit your throat (gently caress those guys). Finally I killed them all off, then found the sorceror dude trapped in the house and let him out. I ran back to Firelink Shrine, spent my souls with sorceror dude - who had trekked back there as well - and got myself Soul Arrow and Greater Soul Arrow.

I figured these new tools might help me in my quest, so I slaughtered my way past everyone again to get back to the Titanite Demon, and zapped him in the face with Soul Arrows until he blew apart into a cloud of mist :black101:

This game just gives you so many ways to have adventures. I suck and die all the time, but I can always get farther if I take some time and build up my character a bit and get to grips with each new area.

Demon's Souls was my game of the decade, and now Dark Souls has jumped right past it.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Nick Biped posted:

Anyways, now that I have close to 20K souls, I'm thinking of buying that item for the forest which opens that special door. Since I'm going to go there eventually, I might as well get it now in case I lose these souls. There's no other way of opening it as far as anyone knows, though?

I think someone mentioned that you can go in a back way, past the hydra most likely, to open it from the back. I don't know if this is true or not. Plus, that hydra and a few other enemies on the way to the door could be a problem for you.

You could always invest it in titanite or purging stones, I guess?

Numbers
Jul 13, 2000
Ok, ran into a bug in the (Amor Londo spoiler) painting world. I killed the dragon on the bridge and now his corpse is blocking the way. *sigh* Any ideas? I found a page that said you can run and heavy hit to dislodge it, but that doesn't work for me.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

The.GreyWolf posted:

Buffing effects don't work on weapons that either have a secondary effect already (lighting, magic, fire) or are unique in some way. Good rule of thumb is if you don't upgrade it with regular titanite, it probably can't be buffed.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

The.GreyWolf posted:

Quite a few of the unique weapons (and pretty much any basic weapon that has any sort of special upgrade) can't take enchantment items or things of that nature. I think most of the dragon weapons can take enchantments though. And despite my bitchings that dragon bone fist does have an A scaling to strength, so it'll get decently powerful with some more strength, which my character is planning on rocking in spades.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

GANDHITRON posted:

After sending me a Collector's Edition with a completely demolished tin one day late, they'd better not loving burn me by not letting me cancel the $25 dollar order I just placed yesterday. God drat it, Amazon, you are testing my patience. The least you could do is give me that loving guide for cheap.

Off Topic but Amazon is usually really good about this junk. Email them and explain whats up and you might get some vouchers or something and they will definitely only charge you how much the item is listed now. Usually without asking.

Seeing as the thread moved real quick too, I'll just ask again; Should I buy this now? Is this going to be a short limited run or am I ok waiting? I know the Bayonetta one is friggin' millions these days.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
^^^ I got my FP guide today and while it is really pretty spiffy it honestly doesn't contain any information that you won't be able to find on the internet in a week or two. Also it is actually missing some crucial bits of info, see below.

Nick Biped posted:

There is a long and onerous way around it but it involves defeating the miniboss in the Basin so you're probably better off just farming the souls.

Also would like to know what the weapon upgrade paths actually do for your weapon besides the obvious, the Future Press guide somehow totally missed actually describing what the paths actually mean even though they give you all the details on how to upgrade and what stats everything gets. Future Press :argh:

Ixjuvin fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 9, 2011

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Numbers posted:

Ok, ran into a bug in the (Amor Londo spoiler) painting world. I killed the dragon on the bridge and now his corpse is blocking the way. *sigh* Any ideas? I found a page that said you can run and heavy hit to dislodge it, but that doesn't work for me.

Do a jumping attack into the corpse (forward +R2). That should dislodge it enough to pass.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

andrew smash posted:

Any idea what "raw" means for weapons? I'm looking at turning my winged spear+5 into either a winged spear+6 or a "raw winged spear" but I don't know what that actually means.

Raw weapons do much higher base damage, but don't scale nearly as well with stats (and they do take enchantments, see my above post) It's basically there for people who aren't stacking their attack stats up a lot and are too cheap to drop for a lightning/fire upgrade.

*edit* So has anyone tried using dung pies to any extent? It would seem to me that having toxin on demand would be pretty nice to have.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 9, 2011

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Smelly posted:

I had this same problem with the archer guys. If it makes you feel better there's A bonfire in the door to the left, as soon as you get past those guys and into the castle

I still think they went way the gently caress overboard here. I'm expected to fight and beat a dark knight on what is basically an inch of space over a bottomless pit. How the gently caress is that fair at all?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

I still think they went way the gently caress overboard here. I'm expected to fight and beat a dark knight on what is basically an inch of space over a bottomless pit. How the gently caress is that fair at all?

I don't think you're actually supposed to fight it. I don't know what the intended method is though, because I just kept running at it until I got lucky and it put the bow away. After that I was able to just knock it off.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

andrew smash posted:

Fairly certain what raw means is raw physical damage. You can either upgrade the spear to an element or go raw.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Bobnumerotres posted:

The trick is actually getting up there, once you are up top you can easily glitch out their pathing and make them run off the side.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
So where exactly should I be going in the depths? I killed the giant rat by plinking it with a crossbow for awhile and found the bonfire behind the locked door, but if I continue on the path all I find is an NPC and an opening in the wall that leads to the pool under the entrance. Am I missing something?

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
I need some advice. I just rang the second bell and cleared the Catacombs. I turned my Halberd into a Divine Halberd (+0), but it doesn't seem that much better than a Raw Halberd was. It has all that extra magic damage but doesn't seem to do damage in line with that. Where can I go or what can I do to get a better weapon at this stage? I just found the Enchanted Ember, but apparently that's for upgrading weapons beyond Magic and I don't have that ember yet anyway.

edit: should add that I tried going to (for example) Sen's Fortress and could not hang there.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So where exactly should I be going in the depths? I killed the giant rat by plinking it with a crossbow for awhile and found the bonfire behind the locked door, but if I continue on the path all I find is an NPC and an opening in the wall that leads to the pool under the entrance. Am I missing something?

Go down the waterfall where you fought the big fat rat

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Holy gently caress

In the Ruins: gently caress these black knight dudes, my god they came out of nowhere. It looks like they're trying to soul suck me.:ohdear:

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

gently caress, I'm stuck in the New Londo Ruins. Cleared everything but there's a locked gate and I have no key. Aaaaaaaagh

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Dirty Job posted:

So I just killed that drake with a single arrow from on top of the knight's tower overlooking the bridge. It just disappeared, then the next thing I know I'm getting 10k souls. It was awesome.

How do you kill Black Knights effectively?

Additionally, I have Gold Pine Resin and some Titanite shards. Are these things to hoard for later uberweapons, or to use now to make my life easier? I'm a Dark Souls newbie.

edit: While I'm playing the idiot newbie, is there a way to sell poo poo later on? I'm collecting an assload of garbage equipment.

Valkrye
Aug 11, 2008
Just cleared the catacombs and the next area is very dark, I recall someone mentioned a lantern or some such that lights the area up, where can I get it?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

gigawhite posted:

gently caress, I'm stuck in the New Londo Ruins. Cleared everything but there's a locked gate and I have no key. Aaaaaaaagh

Look in the fireplace in that one building with a ton of ghosts. There's A ladder

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I think you missed a path in the big room with the NPC.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sputnik posted:

How do you kill Black Knights effectively?

Counter attacks or back stabs.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Smelly posted:

Look in the fireplace in that one building with a ton of ghosts. There's A ladder

Are there two places like that? Already been up the one with the curse removal guy in the plague mask.

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007

Smelly posted:

Please tell me there's nothing up there other than Ingram. I've cleared the place twice now and can't figure out how to progress.

Numbers
Jul 13, 2000

Volitaire posted:

Do a jumping attack into the corpse (forward +R2). That should dislodge it enough to pass.

Doesn't seem to work. I tried the forward and R2 thing, one and two handing my spear and trying it, switching between multiple weapons, attacking different angles. Nothing even budges it. This sucks ;(

Anyone else had the poison dragon corpse stuck in the painting world?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

SL29, can anyone help me with Havel?

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Yay, I rang the second bell!

...now how the hell do I get out of here? I'm not dealing with the Demon Shrine just yet.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Valkrye posted:

Just cleared the catacombs and the next area is very dark, I recall someone mentioned a lantern or some such that lights the area up, where can I get it?

In that area. :v:

I'm not sure where it is exactly, though.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

gigawhite posted:

Are there two places like that? Already been up the one with the curse removal guy in the plague mask.

Well, he Gave me the key to the floodgate.

Do you have the Lord Vessel from Anor Londo?

Is there a bonfire in the ruins at all? I'm at the boss gate and I haven't seen one..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Smelly posted:

Well, he Gave me the key to the floodgate.

Do you have the Lord Vessel from Anor Londo?

Nope. Went ahead and killed him and got the key. Just didn't know if he was important for something.

• Locked thread