Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Strudel Man posted:

Actually, you can get a better ending if you kill Dean, because he's a horrible bastard who doesn't deserve to extend his miserable life by another damned day.

Out of curiosity, if I do that, is it possible to kill Elijah? I know if I leave Dean alive then he takes control of the speakers to prevent Elijah blowing your head up - or at least so he claims.

Also while he was definitely a evil loving bastard, he had real charm and was pretty unapologetically upfront about what a oval office he is. He'd spent a couple hundred years stuck in the villa which, if I read the backstory in the terminals right, he was mostly responsible for being so lovely and prone to cloud contamination so I kind of felt he'd served his time for his crimes. In the ending slides, he does say that he felt guilty when he read about what happened between Vera and Sinclair on that final night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

Out of curiosity, if I do that, is it possible to kill Elijah? I know if I leave Dean alive then he takes control of the speakers to prevent Elijah blowing your head up - or at least so he claims.

Why wouldn't it be?

[Dead money end]
There's achievements for killing him and leaving him alive, for a start

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Why wouldn't it be?

[Dead money end]
There's achievements for killing him and leaving him alive, for a start

I have both the achievements but I always left Dean alive. I was wondering if - if I didn't - would Elijah be able to activate the collar and blow my head off if I stuck around to fight, leaving my only option to beat him being to hide before he arrived and then sneak to the elevator and escape, leaving him stranded behind?

The_Great_Danish
Mar 26, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I have both the achievements but I always left Dean alive. I was wondering if - if I didn't - would Elijah be able to activate the collar and blow my head off if I stuck around to fight, leaving my only option to beat him being to hide before he arrived and then sneak to the elevator and escape, leaving him stranded behind?

I never leave Dean alive, and I fought Elijah last run with Dean dead. He won't trigger your collar.

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming

Jerusalem posted:

Dead Money semi spoilers
Even if he did activate your collar wouldnt there be the interference from the Madre that would keep it from going off right away. As long as you got off the same level as him you would be fine. Although that might have only worked in the case of the dead mans switch but I'm sure you could apply the same thought to just having your collar activated.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Using chems and alcohol pretty much consequence free since it takes 100 caps to remove addictions with a doctor. I played Fallout 2 probably 5-6 years ago last time (something i should remedy btw) and remember that using drugs pretty much hosed you up as soon as you get addicted. You had to pass 1 week without taking a fix and live with the penalties like -2ST, -2EN, -3AG for Buffout, -3IN, -2AG for Mentat addiction.

My favorite cocktails in NV are:

Lets have fun (and pass every Int, Cha, Per related check).

-Put on Naughty Nightwear (not optional).
-Party Time Mentats. (incredibly easy to craft with high science)
-Cass' Moonshine.
-Whiskey, Beer, Scotch and anything that stacks with the rest.

Deathclaw Murder Machine

-Psycho, Med-X, Slasher (cumulative with Psycho!), Steady, Turbo.

Though i am locked out from that juicy Survival recipes but thats for another runthrough.

Even though i am still playing the OC and haven't touched the DLC 50 odd hours in i am itching to get Fallout 3, never played that one and i just wonder how bad it is compared to New Vegas.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I wouldn't say it's bad exactly. Worse than New Vegas for the most part, but it does a handful of things better. Basically surpassed though because to get to the better things in FO3 you have to go through a lot of worse things.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Yeah maybe "bad" isn't the exact word for it, maybe after some extensive modding and avoiding certain DLC's (that alien themed one for example) it should be fun.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
I still cannot frigging tip brahmin. I use the correct key, unarmed, crouched. Nothing happens, not even the 'nothing to activate' sound triggers. They just turn to look at me like they know my plans.

Syrant fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 9, 2011

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Syrant posted:

I still cannot frigging tip brahmin. I use the correct key, unarmed, crouched. Nothing happens, not even the 'nothing to activate' sound triggers. They just turn to look at me like they know my plans.

Are you trying on regular Brahmin or merchants' Brahmin? because I believe you can't tip the merchants' ones.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
You can tip Brahmin?

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
I can't seem to find the mod to allow companions into The Think Tank in Old World Blues.

Any of you guys got it?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

jerichojx posted:

I can't seem to find the mod to allow companions into The Think Tank in Old World Blues.

Any of you guys got it?

Courtesy of the modding thread: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=42901 (just for OWB though)

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 9, 2011

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
OMG Thanks man. I was thinking of giving on either companions or the Big MT base.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Dead Money was a truly fantastic DLC as it was so carefully planned out and the initial reaction to it was pretty much exactly as they planned. I think if they released it after OWB, as someone suggested, it would have ruined Dead Money.

In Dead Money you wake up with this dude you vaguely know about telling you he's pretty much got you completely under his control and if you don't do what he says you will die. Everyone else is in the same situation as you. You don't know anyone, what their deal is, or even what the gently caress is going on.

If you got the backstory OWB had beforehand it would have ruined the initial shock of the unfamiliar people. I think finding out about Elijah's/Christine's motives afterwards was much better than knowing it before you actually get to meet them.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
So I just beat it, have notebook of saves at various times and can quickly go back and do the ending sequence with either House, NCR or Yes man. Legion is out of the question and will need a new play through for that one.

Went with NCR for this first finish and you'll never guess what happened. 3 "slides" in during the ending sequence and the thing loving crashes to desktop saying the display driver crashed. :argh:

e: added spoiler tags just in case.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Xik posted:

Apparently I have a "permanent guest" in my hotel room at the Lucky 38. :wtc:

Who the gently caress is that?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
He's the messenger Caesar sends to New Vegas after your Benny encounter at The Tops. Normally it's Vulpes, but in this case he was probably killed at Nipton.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Paying 15,500 caps for every Red Glare upgrade :argh:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ddraig posted:

Dead Money was a truly fantastic DLC as it was so carefully planned out and the initial reaction to it was pretty much exactly as they planned. I think if they released it after OWB, as someone suggested, it would have ruined Dead Money.

My housemate hated Dead Money and going by Avellone's comments on it he hated exactly the kinds of thing that DM were going for - a loss of "control", oppressive atmosphere, relatively complicated dialogue, not just following the marker everywhere. Although he's a strange one in general, he complains when games have too little character depth but just skips through all the dialogue. How does he know?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

VisAbsoluta posted:

Paying 15,500 caps for every Red Glare upgrade :argh:

Hope you don't buy two of the same one on accident, like I did. Twice. Without saving anytime soon beforehand.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Jerusalem posted:

That's pretty much the worst ending. The best ending I managed to get was:

Convince God and Dog to unify, convince Dean to help you stop Elijah, convince Christine to stay out of the final confrontation and string together Vera's voice-passcode from her old recordings. Then convince Elijah to come down to the vault, and sneak out as he comes down and sets off the alarms that set off the trap left behind for Dean pre-war. Elijah will be trapped in the vault forever, the others wait for you for a little bit, but they can't trust each other enough to stick around so they depart to make their own lives (Dean suggests he will check out Vegas). When you return to the abandoned BoS Bunker, a final message from Christine/Vera bids you goodbye and good luck for the future.

Every time I did it, I convinced Christine that I was going to kill Elijah, she'll say the phrase for you, and while you're down there she'll try to help you by hacking the turret system. I think that's a bit better than convincing her to stay out as she gets to be part of the solution.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
I thought Dead Money was great. The fact that I spent time gearing up for an adventure, only to have all my poo poo stolen and then be tossed into a very controlled environment was quite unsettling considering I was used to roaming the land bringing death to my enemies. The Sierra Madre actually made me think I was human after all.

It was loving depressing too. Great dlc.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I've got a glitch on Dead Money where the emergeny door to the Cantina Madrid kitchen loops me back to the entrance of the Cantina during Put The Beast Down. Is there any kind of workaround? I don't have any other quests to complete.

Saiko Kila
Aug 8, 2009

These were supposed to be peaceful negotiations! We brought only nukes!

HUMANZ. SO GULLIBLE.

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

It's sorta unfortunate that the alcohols aren't lumped together for the purposes of status/addiction effect, especially given how that stuff takes up precious carry capacity, but playing a drunk is surprisingly doable.

Yes, stacking of chems in the game is completely messed up, so it is no different with alcohols, and you can stack some effects of some alcohol beverages, but no other effects. For example you can stack STR bonus from absinth (STR+2), beer and other common alcohol-like substances (STR+2) and wasteland tequila (STR+5). To that you can add for example Bighorner/Brahmin Steak (STR+2), buffout (STR+2) and Ant Nectar (STR+4) for total bonus of +17, which of course caps at 10. But it can offset some negative bonuses. But you can have only one Charisma bonus from these, and Ant Nectar actually negates that. So, what is messed up is that some effects don't stack, and some effects do, so it is usually a matter of personal experiments experience to know what works and how. Personally, I like these experiences.

One other thing, which may be a bug, is that withdrawal quite often doesn't work at all. You are addicted, and greedy bastards (who like to be addressed as doctors) are more than happy to take your money for removing the addiction, but there is no difference to your skills and attributes. Sometimes it is, but generally I don't care about addictions. World after turbo looks better and I can even feel sympathy for deathclaws then.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

I thought Dead Money was great. The fact that I spent time gearing up for an adventure, only to have all my poo poo stolen and then be tossed into a very controlled environment was quite unsettling considering I was used to roaming the land bringing death to my enemies. The Sierra Madre actually made me think I was human after all.

It was loving depressing too. Great dlc.

Yeah, I really loved it for this, and it was nice feeling like you truly were the first person to actually set foot in there in two hundred years (well, minus your team). The few skeletons of people you find who ended up trapped inside of it and killed by holograms was awesome, as was the final fates of Vera and Sinclair.

Fallout 3 tried to do the same thing with the skeletons on the bed and such but it didn't really work since like a house over there would be a bunch of raiders hanging out and its like "really, no one ever bothered to raid this house of its stock of dandy boy apples and beer in 200 years?" but the history and atmosphere of the Sierra Madre really does give you that 'walking through the past' vibe.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Two questions:

1) I'm doing the Rex quest. which brain should I get? I know there are like two different ones you can find

2)where do I find the dress for veronica?

edit: The king is great. "Hey, you've been doing good stuff here. King wants you to have this" *gets lizard on a stick*

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Bash Ironfist posted:

Two questions:

1) I'm doing the Rex quest. which brain should I get? I know there are like two different ones you can find

2)where do I find the dress for veronica?

edit: The king is great. "Hey, you've been doing good stuff here. King wants you to have this" *gets lizard on a stick*

There are three brains, actually. Rey's brain, at Old Lady Gibson's place, increases his attack. Violetta, the Fiend dog, increases his movement speed. Lupa, the Legion dog, increases his DT. So it's whichever one suits you best, basically :)

The dress that Veronica will love the most is Formal Wear from the White Glove Society. She still won't wear it though. :(

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
I asked in the other thread, but does anyone know of a mod that places the Courier's Stash/preorder items as loot near Goodsprings instead of dumping them one you all at once? Someone mentioned it before but I don't remember if it was a mod that existed or just an idea. The alternative is the one on Nexus that just puts all those items into the loot tables when 90% of them are just slightly more durable normal weapons.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

Pitch posted:

I asked in the other thread, but does anyone know of a mod that places the Courier's Stash/preorder items as loot near Goodsprings instead of dumping them one you all at once? Someone mentioned it before but I don't remember if it was a mod that existed or just an idea. The alternative is the one on Nexus that just puts all those items into the loot tables when 90% of them are just slightly more durable normal weapons.

Why not just drop them somewhere, or sell them? I just started a new character yesterday, and I just kept the lightweight leather armor, the (ridiculously overpowered at early level) mercenary's grenade rifle and shoved the rest in a burned out trailer.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

eating only apples posted:

The dress that Veronica will love the most is Formal Wear from the White Glove Society. She still won't wear it though. :(

There's a mod for that.
http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=36144
She helped me take over the Mojave in Vera's outfit while punching people in the face wielding a superheated Saturnite Fist.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

a kitten posted:

There's a mod for that.
http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=36144
She helped me take over the Mojave in Vera's outfit while punching people in the face wielding a superheated Saturnite Fist.

This is a completely useless thing and I downloaded it immediately. Thanks :)

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Pitch posted:

Closest thing i can think of is PMT-Rude Awakening Mod. Puts all DLC stuff into Average Locked safe at the Doc's house and removes lots of free stuff from the house aswell (also reduces stuff Doc gives you).

I vendored most of that stuff except Vault 13 Canteen and Merc's Grenade Rifle. Though the pistol and shotgun is pretty brutal for early levels.

Edit: Link http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35015

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah, Courier's Stash is pretty broken because it gives you all those fully repaired weapons and armor. If you don't want to use them, just toss the items off a cliff or something.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

Every time I did it, I convinced Christine that I was going to kill Elijah, she'll say the phrase for you, and while you're down there she'll try to help you by hacking the turret system. I think that's a bit better than convincing her to stay out as she gets to be part of the solution.

Dead Money Spoilers: Oh yeah, that is what happened in mine as well if I chose to stay and fight Elijah, even if I put the passcode together myself and Christine didn't have to say the phrase for me.

In fact the only companion that didn't try to assist me if I chose to fight was God/Dog, and that was because I deliberately made him stay out of it, as I wanted him to move on and not be beholden to anyone.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh man being evil is so fun. Reached Novac so I picked up Boone's Quest. Went to Ranger Andy and did his little unmarked quest to learn the knockdown unarmed move then lured him in front of the dinosaur to have Boone killed him. Went back up to Boone and told him I just wanted Andy dead so he started attacking me so I used the knockdown move which proceeded to launch him off the dinosaur's mouth into the ground below.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Just started OWB and whoever said it was basically Futurama was dead on.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
I feel like I've been playing OWB for ages now. I keep finding little nooks to explore and there' a lot of fun stuff to investigate. I rushed through Honest Hearts but I'm really enjoying picking through this one slowly. The abuse you constantly get over the loudspeakers is hilarious. "FACE THE WRATH OF MY ROBO-SCORPIONSSSSS!!!!" :argh:

I just got the fully tricked out stealth suit too. I'm addicted to med-x now but I don't give a poo poo, she's so nice about everything.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh man being evil is so fun. Reached Novac so I picked up Boone's Quest. Went to Ranger Andy and did his little unmarked quest to learn the knockdown unarmed move then lured him in front of the dinosaur to have Boone killed him. Went back up to Boone and told him I just wanted Andy dead so he started attacking me so I used the knockdown move which proceeded to launch him off the dinosaur's mouth into the ground below.

lol

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I like how if you have a high enough barter (90) you can convince them to give you 750 caps and some magazines and stimpacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
OWB is pretty cool. Just finished it tonight.
Pros:
All the little goofy jokes every loving where.
The Sink.
The Dr.'s are pretty awesome.
Really big! I loved the backstory on all places you can visit.

Cons:
Damage sink enemies.
Spawns are hosed.
All those "boss" monsters which are mostly even bigger damage sinks but with idiotically high perception.
Because of all the enemies I gained like 10 levels from 16 to 26, which is kinda too much IMO for a DLC.
The millions of metal boxes/footlockers/toolboxes and stuff, making my OCD side come out and check everything. If they weren't there the time spent playing OWB would be cut in half I guess.
Weak overall storyline.
A bit too goofy. While fallout always has that goofy side, it treads a fine line between parody and true post-apocalyptic storytelling. There are some truly sad stories and human-focused plot-lines, but OWB is just goofing off big time.

Overall, while I got more cons then pros, I really enjoyed it, but it felt like a bit of a slog because of the amount of damage-sink enemies that spawn in front of your nose. Luckily I modded the game with signature weapons and I have a 95% accurate riot shotgun with 1200 DPS and -25 DT on enemies and replenishing ammo to get trough it. :black101: