Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
So, uh, what are you supposed to do in the Valley of the Drakes? I killed the first few about 5 times and they never dropped anything nice. Eventually I died twice, losing 10K souls and decided to try rushing past them all. All I found was a giant wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Bobnumerotres posted:

That's all it's useful for. It increases your item find but that's crap compared to the consequences.

They should just give you a 25% health penalty for being undead like in DS, then people would actually bother to be human and online play wouldn't be impossible. Or maybe give flasks a penalty if you're undead.

Yeah, a bigger incentive to not be hollowed would go a long way to making it easier to find people to invade or to summon you.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
There's loads of bloodstains and messages on the 360 so you can watch peoples ghosts fall off ledges and then laugh. There's nobody in loving human form. What could From do at this point though? :ohdear:

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Filthy Monkey posted:

My sign is outside of the wolf's door right now. Summon meeee, FilthyApe.

I don't see it, but I'm SL36, so you may be above me a bit.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Anonononomous posted:

So, uh, what are you supposed to do in the Valley of the Drakes? I killed the first few about 5 times and they never dropped anything nice. Eventually I died twice, losing 10K souls and decided to try rushing past them all. All I found was a giant wall.

I think there's a ladder there that gives you a ring, not sure though as I never went past them, and there's an undead dragon with some rad poo poo next to him, make sure to grab it quick cause he'll wake up.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I don't see it, but I'm SL36, so you may be above me a bit.
Ah, yeah, you are too low to see it. You should probably work on getting some better weapons anyway. This part of the forest is a little rough. The drake blade definitely starts to show its age after you ring the bells.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Bobnumerotres posted:

That's all it's useful for. It increases your item find but that's crap compared to the consequences.

They should just give you a 25% health penalty for being undead like in DS, then people would actually bother to be human and online play wouldn't be impossible. Or maybe give flasks a penalty if you're undead.

That would work so much better. They'd have to increase the amount of humanity you get but the online would actually work

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

This is amazing, I just invaded the same person that gave me 75K souls last time and just got another 70K. SERENDIPITY-noa, thank you for all the souls.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I missed the door to the basement areas of the Undead Burg for a long time and ran around doing parts of Darkroot Garden / Basin got my shield to +5, my armor bits to +3, killed the Hydra and bought some lovely sorceries from Dusk, ran around in the Valley of Drakes jumping over lightning bolts, got a key in Blighttown and then ran away because I didn't want to deal with mosquitoes and have finally just gotten back to doing what I was supposed to be doing. I killed Capra Demon, the butchers, freed a pyromancer who didn't offer to sell me anything, fried a rat and then ran low on Estus and Homeward Boned myself back to the Undead Burg campfire near the dragon ladder.

I picked up one of those random humanity points and my main question is out of the above areas is there a particular bonfire I should kindle before I get myself killed and lose my humanity point? I kindled that one in Undead Burg and it's been pretty helpful, meanwhile that one near the 20,000 souls key door seems like a poo poo one to kindle, so I'm looking for some advice there. Also where did that pyromancer go? Am I going to find someone that sells me some offensive sorceries soon or what?

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007

evilalien posted:

Yes. If you want to know what it gives it is the Moonlight Sword.

I heard that it's a magic weapon this time around instead of faith, is that true?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Trip report: Lightning Zweihander is absolutely hillarious, but I don't feel like it's *terribly* effective. The windup on the swing means whatever I'm fighting gets a free hit and it takes so long to recover that if I don't knock them down they will punish me hard.

Is it so much to ask to have a good weapon that scales well to strength but isn't slow as molasses or kind of weak to begin with (looking at you dragon bone fist) or require absolutely comical levels of strength (hi demon bone anything)?

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Phoix posted:

The controls aren't great and I still occasionally drink a flask trying to attack an enemy because it feels way more natural. You get used to it, though.

edit: If you're interested in MP though, get the PS3 version. It isn't great on either console but you have a bigger pool of players to draw from on the PS3.

The solution that works for me is to mash the button. It usually gets an action faster and the game won't read every button prompt as an action, so you can mash with impunity as long as you remember to stop once you see the animation start up.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
As a human my friend tells me you can still be summoned? Also I had stored up 9 humanity and died and lost all of it. Is there any reason to have high humanity and be undead?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In my new game I just beat the capra demon (alone, at level 17), trying again to see what everyone has been having so much trouble with. Maybe part of it is over-reliance on lock-on? The room is small and if you don't look around you can run into the corners really fast.

Oddly, before I did that I put down a summon sign because I assumed people would have lots of trouble and be asking for help a lot, but ten minutes later I gave up and went in myself.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Blarfo posted:

I heard that it's a magic weapon this time around instead of faith, is that true?

Yeah, I believe it has A scaling for intelligence and nothing for the other stats.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Filthy Monkey posted:

Ah, yeah, you are too low to see it. You should probably work on getting some better weapons anyway. This part of the forest is a little rough. The drake blade definitely starts to show its age after you ring the bells.

I like the Demon Straight Sword, I think it's called. It's not the Greatsword but requires 24str. It has a slightly higher base dmg than Drake Sword and scales slightly. You will probably scale out of it eventually but I think it makes a pretty cheap upgrade from the Drake Sword.

I can kill those Stone Guardians in the forest in 1 2handed combo. The 2handed combo is sick too. You can guard break with 1 attack and the next attack is very quick after that dealing massive damage.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Kneel Before Zog posted:

As a human my friend tells me you can still be summoned? Also I had stored up 9 humanity and died and lost all of it. Is there any reason to have high humanity and be undead?

Yeah you can be summoned as a human. High humanity while undead can be useful for upping your item discovery, or to up the power of certain weapons and not expose yourself to invasion.

Bastard Priest
Jun 16, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Can dragon scales be farmed?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So I was fighting the anor londo boss and I got to the second stage with dragonslayer. I had him down to one hit and I was right under his crotch.

He does some sort of stabbing attack (not charged)that my character was absolutely nowhere near and my guard was up, but it stunlocks me and takes away half my HP.

My character then stood there like a loving idiot just twitching and not raising his shield, and slayer performed a follow up attack that killed me.

I'm going to return this game.

No I'm not, I'm going to set it on fire.

No I'm not, I'm just going to hop into the tub and take a nice relaxing bath with a toaster.

Living One Post at a Time
Feb 28, 2006
Arrr!
So how do I trade with the crow? I went to the undead asylum and I don't see him anywhere. The nest only prompts me with curling into a ball, and dropping items is crossed out in my menu. I'm cursed so the game is completely unplayable until I can find this dumb bird.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

30 hours in and I don't fully understand humanity. Why does my humanity meter suddenly have a few in it out of nowhere? Is there some reliable place to get it?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

I missed the door to the basement areas of the Undead Burg for a long time and ran around doing parts of Darkroot Garden / Basin got my shield to +5, my armor bits to +3, killed the Hydra and bought some lovely sorceries from Dusk, ran around in the Valley of Drakes jumping over lightning bolts, got a key in Blighttown and then ran away because I didn't want to deal with mosquitoes and have finally just gotten back to doing what I was supposed to be doing. I killed Capra Demon, the butchers, freed a pyromancer who didn't offer to sell me anything, fried a rat and then ran low on Estus and Homeward Boned myself back to the Undead Burg campfire near the dragon ladder.

I picked up one of those random humanity points and my main question is out of the above areas is there a particular bonfire I should kindle before I get myself killed and lose my humanity point? I kindled that one in Undead Burg and it's been pretty helpful, meanwhile that one near the 20,000 souls key door seems like a poo poo one to kindle, so I'm looking for some advice there. Also where did that pyromancer go? Am I going to find someone that sells me some offensive sorceries soon or what?
I kindle a lot of bonfires and I rarely run around with anymore than 1 humanity. I just used Firelink a lot. You can get to Parish/Woods rather easy from it.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
I can handle bosses that require cutthroat precision.
I can handle losing my poo poo, and having to wade through the excrement of hell to retrieve it.
I can handle awesome stat-related bonuses/penalties that promote 'realism.'
I can handle flame-spewing womanspiders.

I just can't handle bullshit merchant setups. Why the gently caress does one vendor sell basic arrows?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Living One Post at a Time posted:

So how do I trade with the crow? I went to the undead asylum and I don't see him anywhere. The nest only prompts me with curling into a ball, and dropping items is crossed out in my menu. I'm cursed so the game is completely unplayable until I can find this dumb bird.

When you're at the Asylum run down the path a bit and look on your left. There will be another nest sitting on the edge of a small cliff.

Losanda
Oct 19, 2002

Norman!
I guess my post got burried, the thread is moving really fast, so I'll try again:

I have trouble finding any new spells after the initial soul arrow (I hope that's what it's called in the English version) and its heavier iteration. Can someone tell me where I can find/buy other spells? None of the many NPCs I found seems to sell any. I'm a lvl43 mage after some drunk grinding last night.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

30 hours in and I don't fully understand humanity. Why does my humanity meter suddenly have a few in it out of nowhere? Is there some reliable place to get it?

You get "liquid humanity" randomly from killing things. It automatically enters your meter.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Anyone know the page that lists what weapons you need to level up to get the boss versions? I can't seem to find it :ohdear:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Living One Post at a Time posted:

Different nest, its along the side of the cliff there

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Losanda posted:

I guess my post got burried, the thread is moving really fast, so I'll try again:

I have trouble finding any new spells after the initial soul arrow (I hope that's what it's called in the English version) and its heavier iteration. Can someone tell me where I can find/buy other spells? None of the many NPCs I found seems to sell any. I'm a lvl43 mage after some drunk grinding last night.

I don't know if this helps cause he won't teach me sorcery and I'm considering murdering him, but there's a sorcerer locked up in Sen's Fortress

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How many people are you guys seeing online? I've been summoned once, seen zero summoning posts, and was never able to invade. Lots of messages and bloodstains though.

quote:

I just can't handle bullshit merchant setups. Why the gently caress does one vendor sell basic arrows?

You're making GBS threads me. I used all mine on the lightning demon guy leaving undead burg. Who sells red orbs then?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

darkhand posted:

You get "liquid humanity" randomly from killing things. It automatically enters your meter.

Ah, Does pantomiming someone provide humanity? What is the reward for helping people?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Losanda posted:

There's a guy you free in undead burg. He ends up in Firelink after you free him. If you're coming from the bonfire he's behind a wall near the grassy stairs to aquaduct.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

NESguerilla posted:

Enemies sometime just add 1 to your humanity score when you kill them, it's pretty random when you get it or not. If you have it, spend it because odds are good you won't have it for long.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Losanda posted:

I have trouble finding any new spells after the initial soul arrow (I hope that's what it's called in the English version) and its heavier iteration. Can someone tell me where I can find/buy other spells? None of the many NPCs I found seems to sell any. I'm level a lvl43 mage after some drunk grinding last night.

The blacksmith in New Londo underneath Firelink sells some spells. I'm assuming you found him already.

The next trainer can be found in the Lower Undead Burg in a locked room. You need a key from the Undead Burg vendor to open this.

The high level trainer is found in Sen's Fortress. You need to break a wall using the boulders, and you need to find the cage key before you can free him.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Losanda posted:

Assuming you already rescued the Sorcerer in the Undead Burg, the next step up is Big Hat Logan whom you have to rescue from Sen's Fortress. He has a lot more magic for sale, but you can only get to him AFTER you've run the second bell.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Psyker posted:

I can handle bosses that require cutthroat precision.
I can handle losing my poo poo, and having to wade through the excrement of hell to retrieve it.
I can handle awesome stat-related bonuses/penalties that promote 'realism.'
I can handle flame-spewing womanspiders.

There's two actually. One's in Sen's Fortress

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

NESguerilla posted:

Ah, Does pantomiming someone provide humanity? What is the reward for helping people?

White phantoming gives you 'soft' humanity as well. There are actually quite a few ways to get it and only a handful of ways to spend it. I don't really care much for sitting on a whole bunch of humanity for the item find/curse resist and will probably only start being conservative with my humanity if I start picking up chaos weapons.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

How many people are you guys seeing online? I've been summoned once, seen zero summoning posts, and was never able to invade. Lots of messages and bloodstains though.
Summoning signatures should be fairly common, but you need to go human to see them. I saw plenty of them when I was summoning help for the spider bitch. The two of us drake bladed him down pretty well.

As for being summoned, I find you need to pick your boss carefully because of the 10% level variance thing. If you are level 50 and putting your sign by the gargoyles, you aren't very likely to be summoned.

It is one of the reasons why I've been hesitant to grind a lot of souls and dump it into my stats too. I like being at a level where I can help out with bosses.

As for sword wolf, I've been summoned five times now today, and won four times. The time I lost the dude wouldn't heal me, so I was backing off to miracle heal and he got whacked by a sword spin.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

darkhand posted:

Where are you guys going after Second Belltower? I saw the that lava-y area with the egg people after Quel. Should I go there? I also want to kill Laurentius but he's in Anor (which is after Sens?) and it seems pretty hard atm

Any help on this? I killed the Butterfly and I have the key to the Woods but those covenant guys seem pretty hard without cheesing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh god there are camoflauged giant armors in the forest. And they summon mantas!

• Locked thread