Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Presto posted:

Millionaires aren't really rich.

You're not rich as long as you don't think you are.

Psychologists have studied this phenomenon and determined that this is why, above the poverty level, money doesn't actually make you happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Presto posted:

Millionaires aren't really rich.

See, they're not rich, they can only make more than the median income without lifting a finger. It's tragic, really.

You're not rich as long as you don't think you are.

You missed the best one.

quote:

Taxes distort investment decisions. Why throw money into productive assets — corporate securities, a rental property or new employees for a small business — if the income they generate will be taxed away?
What's the point of making money if all you're going to do is make money??????

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
"Taxed away." drat America's 100% corporate tax rate.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Harry posted:

You missed the best one.

Except increased taxation supposedly generally causes people to take less money out of their businesses and investments because it will be taxed at a higher rate and instead they reinvest the money in their businesses, which actually helps these rich people in the long run because the reinvestment helps assure long-term productivity and profits while also putting more money into the hands of their employees and other people who would actually buy more of their goods and services, thus assuring demand.

grammagoulis
Jul 1, 2007

Harry posted:

You missed the best one.

It galls me how many educated people believe that crap. You don't even need to know much about investments -- it's simple math. If I put my money in stocks, the amount I'll make back and the time it'll take is limited only by how good of an investor I am. If I put my money in CDs or a savings account, I don't have a hope in hell of making more than 5%, and that'll be over the course of several years. If I stick my cash in a mattress, I'll be losing money. So of course people are going to play the stock market. Even if the tax rate is 90%, it's still your only chance of making oodles in interest.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

quote:

Free at last, he blames America first

Article by: JONATHAN GURWITZ , San Antonio Express-News

Perhaps Iran should have held at least one of those American hikers on trumped up charges a little bit longer

Perhaps a few more years in Tehran's dreaded Evin prison might help educate Shane Bauer about the differences between a country ruled by democratic laws and one ruled by repressive religious fanatics.

On July 21, 2009, Bauer and two friends were hiking in Iraqi Kurdistan when they were arrested by Iranian border guards. Whether they actually crossed the unmarked border remains an open question.

But in a country where women can be beaten for "immodesty" and gays are routinely hanged, crossing an arbitrary border is a serious matter -- particularly if you carry an American passport.

So Bauer and his companions were hustled off to Tehran, where prosecutors charged them with illegal entry and espionage.

Thus began a new round in a cruel game in which Iranian authorities excel -- hostage taking. After 14 months of high-level diplomacy, appeals from President Obama and the payment of a $500,000 ransom by the Sultan of Oman, Sarah Shourd was released last September.

Bauer and Joshua Fattal remained in Evin prison, a dungeon for thousands of Iranian dissidents, women activists and religious minorities where torture and murder are routine.

In an interview with the International Campaign for Human Rights in Iran, journalist Saeed Pourheydar recounted his own mistreatment during two months in Evin and those of others who were there much longer.

"Sometimes I was physically tortured, which included beatings during interrogations, sleep deprivation, once throwing me inside a cold water barrel, or keeping me naked outside in the cold," Pourheydar said.

"Beatings, urinating on the prisoner's head and face, hanging the prisoner by his feet, flogging, using electric shockers, hitting sensitive spots on one's body, and one case of horrible rape using glue, were parts of the physical torture my friends told me about."

Twelve more months of diplomacy and the payment of another $1 million from the sultan finally secured the freedom of Bauer and Fattal.

From the safety of Oman, Bauer issued a statement: "Two years in prison is too long, and we sincerely hope for the freedom of other political prisoners and other unjustly imprisoned people in America and Iran."

Political prisoners in America? Bauer was just getting started.

Upon reaching American soil after 26 months in an Iranian hellhole, Bauer offered up a manifesto of cringe-inducing, left-wing pieties.

"The irony is that Sarah, Josh and I oppose U.S. policies toward Iran which perpetuate this hostility," he said.

He allowed that conditions at Guantanamo Bay, where Defense Department procedures require that clean gloves be put on in full view of detainees prior to handling a Qur'an, are comparable to Evin.

He thanked a long list of people, including Venezuelan dictator Hugo Chavez, Sean Penn, Muhammad Ali, Noam Chomsky, Cindy Sheehan and Yusuf Islam, the singer formerly known as Cat Stevens, before mentioning that some U.S. officials also worked on his release.

You might be inclined to believe that Bauer is merely showing symptoms of the Stockholm syndrome.

But the moral equivalence and the smug belief that a blame-America-first philosophy entitles you to immunity in Iran's capricious justice system is precisely what you would expect to hear from someone who earned a degree in Peace and Conflict Studies at Berkeley, as Bauer did.

Welcome home to America, Shane, a nation where even ungrateful jerks have the constitutional right to malign it.

That ungrateful bastard had the nerve to thank Muhammed Ali before our troops!

And who's ever heard of torture and murder in American prisons?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
When did Chavez become a dictator anyway?

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

He's in this awkward position where the government does kinda dictatorial things (for instance, press freedom isn't really a thing in Venezuela), but the populace as a whole supports him without any blatant gaps in knowledge. Basically, it requires some effort to disprove the assertion that he is a dictator, so it gets traction among people who find it convenient to believe.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Amarkov posted:

He's in this awkward position where the government does kinda dictatorial things (for instance, press freedom isn't really a thing in Venezuela), but the populace as a whole supports him without any blatant gaps in knowledge. Basically, it requires some effort to disprove the assertion that he is a dictator, so it gets traction among people who find it convenient to believe.

His decree powers aren't any stronger than the US president's executive order powers, and opposing press in leftist countries are CIA front groups like 90% of the time, he's right in curtailing them.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Goatman Sacks posted:

His decree powers aren't any stronger than the US president's executive order powers, and opposing press in leftist countries are CIA front groups like 90% of the time, he's right in curtailing them.

Oh no, I wasn't trying to make a value judgement, just explaining what the thought process is. Remember when that news station literally supported the coup, and everyone got mad when four years later his government didn't renew their broadcasting license?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Amarkov posted:

Oh no, I wasn't trying to make a value judgement, just explaining what the thought process is. Remember when that news station literally supported the coup, and everyone got mad when four years later his government didn't renew their broadcasting license?

Oh god, I remember that. People were loving insufferable about it.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Orange Devil posted:

"Well you see called George Bush the devil and an anonymous source just told me that helped Hezbollah build a giant, high tech underground fortress beneath Caracas. Also I don't really know anything about Latin American politics or history, but I did see Clear and Present Danger"

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Amarkov posted:

Any links for this because it's insane.

I'm pretty sure advocating for a coup wouldn't be tolerated in the US either.

Rick Perry's sedition in regards to Texas seceding from the US was tolerated because everyone knew that he was just trying to sound like a hard-rear end and didn't really mean it, just like how he railed against Obama's stimulus and then eagerly accepted the stimulus money for Texas to close its budget shortfall.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Bruce Leroy posted:

Any links for this because it's insane.

Rick Perry's sedition in regards to Texas seceding from the US was tolerated because everyone knew that he was just trying to sound like a hard-rear end and didn't really mean it, just like how he railed against Obama's stimulus and then eagerly accepted the stimulus money for Texas to close its budget shortfall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Venezuelan_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat_attempt

Goatman Sacks wasn't exaggerating even a little bit. It's hard to allow the media to stay privatized when they all team up to overthrow the government.

Amarkov fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 3, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bruce Leroy posted:

Let me introduce you to this thing called "Conservative Media In America Ever Since A Black Dude Became President".

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

This is a total aside, but as a Venezuelan American I'm very tired of people in the US instantly wanting to talk politics to me as soon as I accidentally mention where I was born. It's either North Korea or Xanadu depending on who's taking.

Well, I guess only English speakers view Venezuela that way. Spanish speakers seem to think it's the land of hot babes.

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

Humboldt squid posted:

This is a total aside, but as a Venezuelan American I'm very tired of people in the US instantly wanting to talk politics to me as soon as I accidentally mention where I was born. It's either North Korea or Xanadu depending on who's taking.

Well, I guess only English speakers view Venezuela that way. Spanish speakers seem to think it's the land of hot babes.

Unopinionated Anglophones think this as well.

Australia has the reverse of this, where we tend to give no poo poo about the politics of other countries in our region until we meet a native from there who informs us that our favourite holiday destinations are corrupt hellholes (though there's sometimes a huge element of bias there where the native is a person from a group advantaged by colonialism)

Also we have this which is a great little scandal in which one of the more prominent opinion columnists here was sued for being terrible and lost.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

trandorian posted:

Let me introduce you to this thing called "Conservative Media In America Ever Since A Black Dude Became President".

I know the right-wing media has been pretty awful since Obama was elected but it's nowhere near as bad as that of the Venezuelan media as cited in that wiki link.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

trandorian posted:

That's an exaggeration if I've ever heard of one. The most right-winged media would only get even close to those Venezuelan stations if Obama was actually remotely leftist.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

LP97S posted:

That's an exaggeration if I've ever heard of one. The most right-winged media would only get even close to those Venezuelan stations if Obama was actually remotely leftist.

They've basically been skirting around the whole "Obama is bad and you should kill him" concept for three years now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bruce Leroy posted:

I know the right-wing media has been pretty awful since Obama was elected but it's nowhere near as bad as that of the Venezuelan media as cited in that wiki link.

It's still incredibly stupid to shut down tv stations for being mean to you. TV reporters didn't execute any coups, they just fuckin reported on them.

Pope Guilty posted:

They've basically been skirting around the whole "Obama is bad and you should kill him" concept for three years now.

Yeah talking about second amendment remedies for government officials you don't like is pretty clear.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 3, 2011

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

trandorian posted:

It's still incredibly stupid to shut down tv stations for being mean to you.

Yeah talking about second amendment remedies for government officials you don't like is pretty clear.

The Venezuelan TV stations were literally telling their viewers to rise up and violently overthrow Chavez. That is not hyperbole. They were literally openly inciting violent revolution.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pope Guilty posted:

The Venezuelan TV stations were literally telling their viewers to rise up and violently overthrow Chavez. That is not hyperbole. They were literally openly inciting violent revolution.

And your point is? It was wrong when America shut down anarchist and communist media outlets throughout the past century or more for advocating revolution, it was wrong when Venezuela did it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

trandorian posted:

And your point is? It was wrong when America shut down anarchist and communist media outlets throughout the past century or more for advocating revolution, it was wrong when Venezuela did it.

There's a difference between "Revolution is necessary, let's build to the point where we can rise up" and "right now grab whatever you can find at hand and go downtown and kill some folks".

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

trandorian posted:

No, it would be more like a coup occurs, the President of the Chamber of Commerce is sworn in, and they dissolve the Supreme Court and Congress. During this, Fox News, MSNBC, and CNN support the coup, have been egging on supporters before the coup for a few weeks and edit footage to make anti-coup supporters are ambushing peaceful protesters instead of general brawl.

I can understand why Chavez and supporters would be a bit upset, then again Chavez tried a coup when he was in the military and, in my opinion, has been squandering his options with pointless international posturing.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

There's a difference between "Revolution is necessary, let's build to the point where we can rise up" and "right now grab whatever you can find at hand and go downtown and kill some folks".

Exactly.

It's a continuum of media corruption. What happened in Venezuela was far worse than what we've ever had in the US but it still pales in comparison to what has happened in other countries, like those radio stations in Rwanda commanding and directing Hutus to kill Tutsis.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

It wasn't "let's go genocide!" but it was certainly "head downtown and kill the government".

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010
Can we just agree that the worst part was when Fidel "Communism means I get whatever I want" Castro jumped to the defense of democracy while US officials talked about how Chavez had it coming for being so leftist.

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

I think the US endorsing a coup d'etat against leaders for ideological reasons would probably be the worst bit, Castro being hypocritical (though I'd disagree with you characterising him as a profiteer of somekind however bad the conditions in Cuba) isn't exactly fragrant but in the scope of things he's never overthrown anyone except Batista, America's got a huge lead on him.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

trandorian posted:

It's still incredibly stupid to shut down tv stations for being mean to you. TV reporters didn't execute any coups, they just fuckin reported on them.

Actually they were an integral part of the coup. Selective reporting about events both before the coup (about who was shooting at whom) and during the coup (who controlled the palace, Chavez not having resigned), was a large factor in the initial succes of the coup. On top that they were generally in bed with the conspirators of the coup, all of this makes them complicit in the deaths caused by that coup, as well as the subversion of the democratic process and constitution of Venezuela. They didn't "just report on things", they manipulated and created the news, orders of magnitude more than even Fox News or similar do in the US.

Seriously watch The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 3, 2011

Bradylama
Jun 10, 2007

by I Ozma Myself
Any sane government would have arrested all the executives, tried them for treason, and scattered the employees to the winds. Just letting their broadcasting license expire was an act of supreme mercy all things considered.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Bradylama posted:

Any sane government would have arrested all the executives, tried them for treason, and scattered the employees to the winds. Just letting their broadcasting license expire was an act of supreme mercy all things considered.

Oh no, they only let one station's broadcasting license expire. The rest, including the one in which the coup was plotted, weren't punished at all (except by being forced to comply with new regulations).

Bradylama
Jun 10, 2007

by I Ozma Myself
New regulations? Those monsters! :qq:

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Bradylama posted:

New regulations? Those monsters! :qq:

I don't think you understand how Orwellian it is. They can't show heavy violence before 10 PM, they have to interrupt programming for Presidential announcements, and they're required to broadcast political campaigns!

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

This guy has always had an incredibly childish and simplistic outlook on life in all his writing but today's took the cake:

quote:

For centuries, the Forest had prospered. Every creature knew its job, from the aardvark to the zebra, and they all took pride in doing those jobs well.

The squirrels collected nuts, birds ate the seeds and the plants grew tall. And their Creator saw the efforts of the inhabitants of the Forest and blessed them.

The Old Lion, King of the Forest, was a wise and just leader. He decreed that all animals should be created equally, and that every creature, from the tiny mosquito to the thundering elephant, had the right to express its opinion and to vote in the Forest elections. He also decreed that there should be a way to care for the needs of animals who could not work anymore, and stockpiles of food were set aside for that purpose.

The Old Lion died, and the animals elected another Lion as King. Alas, although this Young Lion was well-meaning, his advisers were greedy, and they whispered things in the Young Lion’s ear that caused him to act and speak foolishly.

The animals gathered together one evening to talk about their King.

“Let us get rid of the Young Lion, for he is an idiot,” the Badger said.

A chorus of chickens cackled their approval.

“But who shall take his place?” the Rabbit said.

There was a great hullaballoo until the majestic Eagle cleared his throat and called for silence.

“We are all equal in the eyes of the Creator, so let us vote,” he said. They did.

The animals chose a clever young Fox as their new King. The Fox was an eloquent speaker, gifted in saying nothing while making it sound like something.

“We shall invoke change,” the Fox said.

“What sort of change?” the animals said.

“Change you can believe in!” the Fox said.

The Fox decreed that the hard-working ants and birds and mice should give more of the fruits of their labors to the stockpiles of food to replenish that which the Young Lion had wasted. They grumbled but reluctantly agreed, because they perceived that it was for the common good.

“But we want more,” the lazy sloths said. The Fox made a deal with the sloths that he would give them more food if they would vote for him the next election.

“But we want our share, too,” the hyenas said.

“What about us? ” the possums chimed in.

So the Fox gave the possums and hyenas jobs in an ever-expanding government bureaucracy. By now, the stockpiles of food were dangerously low, since many of the animals were now working for the government. The Fox borrowed food from another forest, but that forest charged interest and debts piled up.

The ants, birds and mice were working harder than ever, but had nothing to show for it, for they were supporting the sloths, hyenas and possums.

“Let us further tax the ants, birds and mice, for they have all of the food!” the Fox decreed.

“Where does this end?” the ants, birds and mice said. But their voices were drowned out by the barking hyenas, who were so happy that the Fox was giving them more food that they banded together to re-elect the Fox King of the Forest — which was what the Fox had intended all along, for he was no fool.

So it came to pass that the hard-working animals simply stopped working. Some of them moved away. Supplies of food vanished.

The day came when the Fox had to reduce the government payroll. But the sloths, possums and hyenas revolted, saying they needed their food.

“There is no food left,” said the Fox.

“We don’t care,” they said. “You promised that you would take care of us!”

The Fox slinked away, his eloquence gone.

Soon, a famine came and all the animals died. Before long, the Forest was only the stuff of legend, its ruins smothered by parched desert sands burning beneath a pitiless sun.

And the Creator shed tears for what had once been his most precious and wonderful handiwork.

Mark Murphy, M.D., is a Savannah physician and writer.

drat "hyenas" and "sloths" used to know their goddamned place in society.

And what of the poor Young Lion. He was so well meaning...

Bradylama
Jun 10, 2007

by I Ozma Myself
An eagle is a bird of prey. Recognizing the equality of others is the last thing that a predator would do. Oddly loving appropriate that the symbology of Rome, Russia, Nazi Germany, Mexico, and the United States, would revolve around something like the eagle.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

CrushedB posted:

This guy has always had an incredibly childish and simplistic outlook on life in all his writing but today's took the cake:

drat "hyenas" and "sloths" used to know their goddamned place in society.

And what of the poor Young Lion. He was so well meaning...

Most of those are savannah animals! :argh:

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Jon Kyl posted:

It's time to abandon Keynesian Economics
President Obama came to Capitol Hill a few weeks ago to unveil his new stimulus package, a $447 billion “jobs plan.” The President’s idea is to pay for new government spending and temporary tax cuts by permanently raising taxes by $467 billion over 10 years.

The largest new tax in the Obama plan would cap income-tax deductions for small businesses and some individuals. As it happens, a Democratic-controlled Senate already rejected this proposal, in 2009, when the Democratic caucus had 60 members­a filibuster-proof majority. So there’s very little chance that it can pass today, when there are far fewer Democratic votes in Congress. Indeed, several key Democrats have already expressed skepticism about the new stimulus bill. President Obama surely knows this, raising the question of whether this may be more of a reelection plan than a serious jobs plan.

Whatever his motivation, let’s analyze the legislation on its merits. It is built on the premise of Keynesian economics, which was also the basis for the 2009 stimulus, Cash for Clunkers, and the 2008 stimulus checks sent out under President Bush. Keynesians believe that, when economic growth is weak or nonexistent, the chief problem is low demand for goods and services. In such circumstances, they recommend that the government spend money to stimulate consumption, arguing that businesses will respond by increasing production and creating jobs.

But this raises the question: Where does the government money come from? After all, Congress can’t merely print new dollars. Its funds have to be taken out of the private economy, either through borrowing or higher taxes. A paper from the Heritage Foundation compares Keynesian economics to the act of redistributing water in a swimming pool: “Removing water from one end of a swimming pool and pouring it in the other end will not raise the overall water level. Similarly, taking dollars from one part of the economy and distributing it to another part of the economy will not expand the economy.”

Moreover, raising taxes on small businesses to “pay for” the spending will reduce incentives to hire and invest. When you tax something more, you get less of it. A better idea is to incentivize production, or the “supply side” of the economy. The fundamental principle behind supply-side economics is that people work harder and take more risks when there are more opportunities for economic gain and less government intrusion.

Translating this principle into good public policy means reducing government consumption by cutting spending of borrowed money, thereby leaving resources in the private sector. It also means not raising taxes on anyone, and certainly not on the job-creating small businesses we count on to hire more workers.

Adopting supply-side policies would encourage robust job creation and investment. Doubling down on Keynesian stimulus spending is unlikely to have the same effect. Consider the historical record. In the Wall Street Journal, economist Stephen Moore compares President Reagan’s economy with President Obama’s: President Reagan inherited a sagging economy in 1981. By 1983, after his administration had implemented or supported a bevy of supply-side polices (including tax cuts, spending controls, deregulation, and sound money), economic growth had soared to 5 percent “and was racing to 7, even 8 percent growth.” Contrast that with President Obama’s record: As we approach his third year in office, economic growth is barely 1 percent, and some economists believe we’re heading for a double-dip recession.

The evidence couldn’t be clearer. It’s time policymakers consign Keynesianism to the history books and focus on supply-side policies that give job-creators the long-term certainty they need.

Sen. Jon Kyl | Senate Republican Whip https://www.kyl.senate.gov

Keynesianism: it works in practice, but the real question is does it work in theory?

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

Dr. Tough posted:

Keynesianism: it works in practice, but the real question is does it work in theory?

This bugs the poo poo out of me as well. I studied economics at school. They taught us Keynesian economics as a method of stimulating the economy. I checked Harvard's program, Yale's, NYU's, and Stamford's. They all teach Keynesian economics. I'd be surprised if there was a business school in the country that taught supply-side economics. Hasn't this rear end in a top hat ever heard of the velocity of money?

Also, the Bush tax cuts were based on Keynesian economics? News to me.

edit:
For those that are wondering why supply-side doesn't work, it's because it has no reason to. Imagine if you own a factory producing widgets. The economy dips, and you lose half your customers. Half your employees are now standing around the widget factory doing nothing, so you fire them. If your taxes are cut, are you now going to rehire those employees, to stand around and do nothing? This is why companies are sitting on so much cash:

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul/29/business/la-fi-apple-cash-20110730

They aren't re-investing back into the company (tax-free, mind you), because there isn't demand for new goods/services. How do we create demand/customers? Give money to people that will spend it, people living paycheck to paycheck. A food stamp will only be spent at a local market. That local market now has to hire cashiers, etc, to keep up with the demand. Now those cashiers can spend their money. It's trickle up. It's always been trickle up.

particle409 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

particle409 posted:

This bugs the poo poo out of me as well. I studied economics at school. They taught us Keynesian economics as a method of stimulating the economy. I checked Harvard's program, Yale's, NYU's, and Stamford's. They all teach Keynesian economics. I'd be surprised if there was a business school in the country that taught supply-side economics. Hasn't this rear end in a top hat ever heard of the velocity of money?

Also, the Bush tax cuts were based on Keynesian economics? News to me.

edit:
For those that are wondering why supply-side doesn't work, it's because it has no reason to. Imagine if you own a factory producing widgets. The economy dips, and you lose half your customers. Half your employees are now standing around the widget factory doing nothing, so you fire them. If your taxes are cut, are you now going to rehire those employees, to stand around and do nothing? This is why companies are sitting on so much cash:

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul/29/business/la-fi-apple-cash-20110730

They aren't re-investing back into the company (tax-free, mind you), because there isn't demand for new goods/services. How do we create demand/customers? Give money to people that will spend it, people living paycheck to paycheck. A food stamp will only be spent at a local market. That local market now has to hire cashiers, etc, to keep up with the demand. Now those cashiers can spend their money. It's trickle up. It's always been trickle up.

Exactly. Supply-side economics don't work because it gives more money to people who already have an excess of money. They already have more money than they can reasonably spend through personal consumption and they will not reinvest in their own or other people's businesses if there is not demand to support it. All that will happen is that the rich people and wealthy corporations will just hold onto to the cash and the country will have "lost" money that would have otherwise been working its way through the economy.

If you give more money to the poor and middle class, they will spend most or all of the money because they are generally living paycheck to paycheck already, so more money for them would mean greater consumption and aggregate demand.

Jon Kyl is also blatantly wrong about many other things in that editorial, most notably crediting Reagan with the economic recovery during his first term. The end of the late 1970s stagflation and the subsequent economic recovery were entirely due to the actions of the Federal Reserve under Paul Volcker. The Reagan Administration actually ousted Volcker because he was against much of the administration's deregulation efforts, which are what led to the S&L crisis and the later recession during George H.W. Bush's presidential term.

This is a classic example of Republicans just completely rewriting the history of the 1980s to make Reagan out to be some kind of ubermensch, when he was actually a pretty lovely president, e.g. Reagan and Gorbachev agreed to an entire nuclear disarmament, but Reagan hosed the deal by insisting on his stupid Star Wars program.

Bradylama posted:

An eagle is a bird of prey. Recognizing the equality of others is the last thing that a predator would do. Oddly loving appropriate that the symbology of Rome, Russia, Nazi Germany, Mexico, and the United States, would revolve around something like the eagle.

Actually, there was a debate over the national bird among the Founders, with some of them like Benjamin Franklin wanting the national bird to be the wild turkey.

The most interesting part of this is a letter Franklin wrote to his daughter about the issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_turkey#Benjamin_Franklin_and_the_US_national_bird

Ben Franklin posted:

For my own part I wish the Bald Eagle had not been chosen the Representative of our Country. He is a Bird of bad moral character. He does not get his Living honestly. You may have seen him perched on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him.

With all this Injustice, he is never in good Case but like those among Men who live by Sharping & Robbing he is generally poor and often very lousy. Besides he is a rank Coward: The little King Bird not bigger than a Sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the District. He is therefore by no means a proper Emblem for the brave and honest Cincinnati of America who have driven all the King birds from our Country...

I am on this account not displeased that the Figure is not known as a Bald Eagle, but looks more like a Turkey. For in Truth the Turkey is in Comparison a much more respectable Bird, and withal a true original Native of America... He is besides, though a little vain & silly, a Bird of Courage, and would not hesitate to attack a Grenadier of the British Guards who should presume to invade his Farm Yard with a red Coat on.

• Locked thread