Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Zebrasectomy posted:

Just killed me a Moonlight Butterfly and now I have a giant soul that promises me either a Fancy Weapon or Lots of Souls. So how does this work? do I just use it, or do I hold on to it for crafting?
Pretty sure you should save it for crafting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Zebrasectomy posted:

Just killed me a Moonlight Butterfly and now I have a giant soul that promises me either a Fancy Weapon or Lots of Souls. So how does this work? do I just use it, or do I hold on to it for crafting?

Save it if you want to craft. You need to level whatever you're using it on up to +10 though (for the Butterfly I believe it's spear or shield)

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

So it seems as if the game has actually opened up. (Post Anor Londo) Which boss should I go fight? I tried getting a little ways in the Crystal place, wheverever Seath the Scaleless is and that seemed a little hard.

Zebrasectomy posted:

The boss souls create a named weapon which have to be derived from certain weapons at +10. Like the one you have can create a spear or a shield, if you want to make the special spear weapon you need to have a spear (or winged spear etc) at +10.

I suggest looking up each weapon you can make with each boss soul and determine if that's something you could get down with.

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004
I never got the white soapstone from Solaire, I'm assuming because I was undead at the time. Now hes gone. I only ever summoned him once but he didn't die, though I did. Does he go somewhere or does my death count towards his? I'm well past obtaining the Lordvessel and wondering if I got screwed out of the soapstone.

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

Zebrasectomy posted:

Save it. You can make a Spear or Shield from it, the Shield is incredibly good and I highly recommend it as it has 90% magic defense.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

You're screwed out of the soapstone.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Turns out I consumed my first Firekeeper soul by accident (the one from Tower Knight Jr). Time to restart this character?

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Thanks guys, I found it now. Quelag is rediculous, died 4 times now and summoned a helper every time. That aoe she does 1 shots me if I'm not at absolute full health and doesn't seem to have much of an animation/tell to it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Quelag eh? I wonder if I just lucked out, I took almost no damage in that fight. It finished and I still had like 9 potions left. What attack was doing so much damage?

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

Professor Latency posted:

So it seems as if the game has actually opened up. (Post Anor Londo) Which boss should I go fight? I tried getting a little ways in the Crystal place, wheverever Seath the Scaleless is and that seemed a little hard.

The boss souls create a named weapon which have to be derived from certain weapons at +10. Like the one you have can create a spear or a shield, if you want to make the special spear weapon you need to have a spear (or winged spear etc) at +10.

I suggest looking up each weapon you can make with each boss soul and determine if that's something you could get down with.

I've been spending all my Titinite on my Scimitar so I figure I'm either going to go with the shield or just cash in some souls.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Turns out I consumed my first Firekeeper soul by accident (the one from Tower Knight Jr). Time to restart this character?

Doesn't it just give you extra health when you drink a potion? It be helpful, but you can just get it on your next run through and it's not THAT critical.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Metrohunter posted:

There's a merchant in the burg near-ish firelink shrine who sells arrows for 10 souls a pop. Take a right instead of continuing to the first bonfire in the burg.

Is there a quick trick to taking out spearmen? Of all the regular grunts in the game so far, those are the one's i have most trouble with thanks to a combination of shield protection and long attack reach. I just got up to the bit with the boar, which looks like it's going to be a big ol' murderfest.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Zebrasectomy posted:

I've been spending all my Titinite on my Scimitar so I figure I'm either going to go with the shield or just cash in some souls.

I think that boss soul only carries like 1,500 souls. I mean, sure do it. But you won't get much out of it by consuming. Hey, what do I know anyway?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Polite Tim posted:

Is there a quick trick to taking out spearmen? Of all the regular grunts in the game so far, those are the one's i have most trouble with thanks to a combination of shield protection and long attack reach. I just got up to the bit with the boar, which looks like it's going to be a big ol' murderfest.

Kick them to break their guard and then attack.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

NoneSuch posted:

Doesn't it just give you extra health when you drink a potion? It be helpful, but you can just get it on your next run through and it's not THAT critical.

There's also more than one. So your healing flasks won't be as good as they could be, but they're still adequate for making you not die.

You can't really miss ANYTHING in this game. Unlimited new game+ runs guarantees that. I suppose it could be possible to screw your character into being unplayable, but only if you're literally picking things at random and doing silly stuff like putting every single stat point in intelligence without learning any spells.

evilalien posted:

Kick them to break their guard and then attack.

They also have extremely forgiving timing for parries. I generally either just parry/riposte, or just circle around them while they do their super slow attack and backstab. Or just ignore them - they're so cautious in attacking that you can usually take out every other enemy in the area without having them even make a move at you once.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I found a red soapstone. Does this thing lay down fake summoning signs, or will the victim explicitly have to agree to be invaded?

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What do I need to do to make the Butterfly's shield? Just upgraded a small shield to +10 and then use the soul on it?

e: Also, where's the best place to find Large Titanite shards so I can get my Zweihander the rest of the way to +10?

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Quelag eh? I wonder if I just lucked out, I took almost no damage in that fight. It finished and I still had like 9 potions left. What attack was doing so much damage?

She does a huge fire blast that is blockable but can 1-shot most people if you don't. I'm guessing thats what people are getting caught by. I just waited until she did the lava spew and did all of my damage then. Easy fight.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Hell Diver posted:

What do I need to do to make the Butterfly's shield? Just upgraded a small shield to +10 and then use the soul on it?

Take the upgraded shield (and the soul) to the giant blacksmith in Andor Londo. Choose "modify weapon," and he'll give you the choice to make it.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Hell Diver posted:

Yeah, that's it. Only the Blacksmith in Anor Londo can do the upgrade though.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Hell Diver posted:

You need to go to Anor Londo and have that blacksmith do it.

vvv She rears back on her hind legs right before then. I'd say just don't slash her too many times you get in, because every time you get in she'll do that attack.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think it's some sort of aoe that looks kinda like a burst of air coming out from her? Maybe I'm missing it, but I haven't noticed any sort of animation showing that it's coming.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Nigulus Rex posted:

What do you use to shoot lightning?

It's a set of miracles you can get for joining the sun knights covenant. Hit up the altar near the bonfire where the dragon roosts and you can join if you meet the requirements.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

doctor/prostitute posted:

gently caress that motherfucking capra cunting demon motherfucker and the loving broom closet he lives in.

My last 5 attempts all ended with me dead in under 5 seconds. I can't block because between him and his dogs spazzing out I end up stuck in blockstun for all of 3 seconds before my stamina's gone and I can't evade because his swords cover literally the entire width of the room and at least one of the loving dogs will decide to sit and block the one set of stairs that represent the only possibility of me living long enough to get off a single loving attack.

This loving game.

Raise your endurance to 17, guard when you enter, stop sucking. The Drake Sword can one-shot the dogs (if you are using it one-handed, and why wouldn't you be?). I had a Hollow Shield +1 and the Elite Knight's Armor (which is relatively easy to get, in the Darkroot Garden, past the Titanite Demon near the blacksmith, follow the path and go through the fog door you see, it'll be the glowing white spot on the right. The area it is in is swarming with plant monsters and stone giants, I'd advise you strip down or put on a light armor and haul rear end to grab it, once it is yours you can either die, homeward bone, or just run like hell back to safety..

Seriously, the Capra Demon is not that loving hard, you just gotta be smart. Also, for the Gargoyles, you should do the exact opposite of what you do for Capra.

Edit: Hey, so the only way to kill ghosts at all is to be cursed? So, is it better to explore New Londo while perma-cursed, or are the transient curses the way to go? Both options seem to kinda suck. I don't have to go there yet, but I know I will be soon, and I'd really rather have a better way to deal with them than that...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DeathSandwich posted:

You could go get it right now, realistically though, you're a ways out because the catacombs is going to savage you pretty hard.

That's about what I figured. Still, it's nice to know that if I were skilled enough I could.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

Professor Latency posted:

I think that boss soul only carries like 1,500 souls. I mean, sure do it. But you won't get much out of it by consuming. Hey, what do I know anyway?

Man, that's not many souls at all. Shield it is then.

I'm guessing these boss souls are random drops? Anyone know which ones are good for curved swords?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Malachite posted:

She does a huge fire blast that is blockable but can 1-shot most people if you don't. I'm guessing thats what people are getting caught by. I just waited until she did the lava spew and did all of my damage then. Easy fight.

Yeah it is, I would have aced her the first time if she didn't surprise me with that move. The problem is that the move has almost no startup, so it's hard to block it on reaction. Also hurts like a bitch. I had like 12 vit and it would one shot me.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Jesus, this game is brutal sometimes. Anybody have any tips for the Two Gargoyle bosses on the church roof? It's really obnoxious that the Maneater 2: The Gargoylening fight doesn't have a big pilar in the middle of the arena to hide behind this time.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Zebrasectomy posted:

I'm guessing these boss souls are random drops? Anyone know which ones are good for curved swords?

Boss souls are not random. Not all bosses have souls.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
As a Darkmoon I just invaded a guy, me and another guy killed him.

I recieved 350,000 souls... gently caress me.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

After failing at Anor Londo's bosses by myself a couple of times, I went human and summoned a couple of dudes. Those two were pros. One guy kept spear dude busy, without even bothering to damage it, while myself and the other guy whittled down fatty. When fatty was down, we pretty much gangbanged spear dude. I think I even managed to save one of them from death, healing him guy in the middle of the spear impale move.

Man, it was a great battle though. I definitely suggest doing that one in human form with some white phantom bros.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

oh god those frogs :gonk:

I was walking along in the Depths and saw a hole, and though "hah you can't trick me with that hole I'm going this way" and then immediately fell into another hole and was surrounded by those goddamn frogs. Somehow escaped from there (with 0 humanity!) without getting cursed, then rounded a corner and immediately ran into 3 giant rats at the same time an NPC invaded. Ran around in circles for a good 3 minutes trying to separate them, killed them all, unlocked the shortcut back to the bonfire, was immediately too stressed out to play anymore and turned the game off. :allears:

Do those frogs respawn and will I see them again oh dear

edit: It also turned out the secret to beating the Capra Demon was to boost my Hollow Shield to +5, my elite armors to +3, and just keep trading blows with him until he died

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DO IT TO IT posted:

I think it's some sort of aoe that looks kinda like a burst of air coming out from her? Maybe I'm missing it, but I haven't noticed any sort of animation showing that it's coming.

She sort of rears up like she's about to spit more lava. Just back off every time she does that - the range on that burst AoE isn't that long but it does an annoying amount of damage. If she IS spitting lava, the attack is plenty long enough to get back in and land some attacks before she's done.

On a related question, I found her to be goddamn impossible until I went and took a few points of strength to bring me up to being able to wield the Drake sword one-handed. Is there really any reason for me to want to use say, the Thief's Cutter or any other sort of low damage but high critical weapon now? It seems like weapons with high base damage just beat the crap out of anything that relies on criticals, even on enemies that are vulnerable to criticals.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Zebrasectomy posted:

They're not random, certain bosses will always drop them. Quelaag in Blighttown is the one you want for curved swords.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

GreatGreen posted:

Jesus, this game is brutal sometimes. Anybody have any tips for the Two Gargoyle bosses on the church roof? It's really obnoxious that the Maneater 2: The Gargoylening fight doesn't have a big pilar in the middle of the arena to hide behind this time.

Be in human form and summon the Solaire or a human player to help out. Splitting the Gargoyle's attention is a huge help. Also use the gold pine resin to electrify your weapon if you have it. The Gargoyle's are really weak to it.

Also try to cut off the first one's tail if you can. You'll get a special weapon.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GreatGreen posted:

If you get to the boss door as a human, you can summon an NPC to aid you and it trivializes the fight.

quote:

Also try to cut off the first one's tail if you can. You'll get a special weapon.

gently caress I knew I forgot to do something up there.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Merauder posted:

It sounds like you might just be a bit undergeared? I did Butterfly 100% melee, and it only took a couple landings. I was using either a Battle Axe +5 or the Drake Sword (can't recall, but both are similar in damage output). Make sure you have a good Magic resist shield to deal with her various attacks (the Grass Crest one, or the plan Crest shield from returning to the Asylum are the highest I've found).

Yeah you were totally right. I backtracked and got the Drake Sword and made short work of the butterfly.

Now I got a key to the Watchtower Basement! Where do I use this thing?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

GreatGreen posted:

What do you mean "sometimes"? That's only the third of...how many dozens of bosses in the game?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kaboobi posted:

oh god those frogs :gonk:

I was walking along in the Depths and saw a hole, and though "hah you can't trick me with that hole I'm going this way" and then immediately fell into another hole and was surrounded by those goddamn frogs. Somehow escaped from there (with 0 humanity!) without getting cursed, then rounded a corner and immediately ran into 3 giant rats at the same time an NPC invaded. Ran around in circles for a good 3 minutes trying to separate them, killed them all, unlocked the shortcut back to the bonfire, was immediately too stressed out to play anymore and turned the game off. :allears:

Do those frogs respawn and will I see them again oh dear

Frogs do respawn, but so far that pit area is the only place I've run into them. They aren't actually that hard to deal with once you realize the following:

1) They are interrupted by damage.

2) The curse breath is the only attack they have.

Basically, there's no reason to do anything against them but charge straight in and spam attacks until they die/you run out of stamina. Even with 0 humanity you can pretty easily get out of the radius of their curse attacks before you get cursed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Fellblade posted:

As a Darkmoon I just invaded a guy, me and another guy killed him.

I recieved 350,000 souls... gently caress me.

I swear some people are just holding onto huge amounts of souls to be nice to invaders. What's really nice is that you don't lose your souls when you die from being invaded, you just have to recover your bloodstain. So these people just get their bloodstain, revive, and then wait for more Darkmoon's to invade to hand out another huge payday.

• Locked thread