Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Meme Emulator posted:

Where do I go in Anor Londo? The only path forward is blocked by a gold fog.

Look for a thin path that leads up to the nearby cathedral

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
So as soon as the tutorial level is over, are you supposed to head straight to the Taurus Demon? Because I did, and I died. A lot. I also found a very mean black knight and another knight with a gigantic club that one shot me. Am I even supposed to be in this area?

I still killed that loving Taurus Demon though. :black101:

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
So, is the Gargoyle's Tail Axe any good? I love how it looks, but using it seems like a step down compared to the amazingness of the Drake Sword. I upgraded it twice so it's +2 but it still seems kinda...unsatisfying. Are axes better at chopping off enemy tails? I'd really like to get the special items from bosses here on out and the Drake Sword has been...inconsistent...in that regard.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Is there a way to farm for titanite chunks/large titanite shards?

I know the basic undead soldiers and stuff drop small titanite shards all the time.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
For any of you having trouble with the Captain Demon, i found a trick. half way up the staircase its possible to get the demon stuck. You need to have him directly next to the staircase while you stand half way up. This will cause him to attack with swipes tantly, but you will be too high to hit. A weapon with a downswing or magic should then be able to take him out. Course you have to deal with those drat dogs first...

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
^^^ You mean the Capra Demon? Best way to kill it is to summon some friends. He's really one of the most unfair fights in the game.

User0015 posted:

So as soon as the tutorial level is over, are you supposed to head straight to the Taurus Demon? Because I did, and I died. A lot. I also found a very mean black knight and another knight with a gigantic club that one shot me. Am I even supposed to be in this area?

I still killed that loving Taurus Demon though. :black101:

The guy with the big club is meant to be fought later, but he's not terribly hard to kill at this point as long as you have the patience of a saint.

The Black Knight is going to be extremely hard until you get a shield with enough stability to withstand his combos unless you have perfect dodge timing or something.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Aralan posted:

Well, if you're looking for humanity, the bonfire in the depths is your best bet. You can run around farming the rats waiting for someone to summon you up, then you can go run through to the boss and make about 20k souls if you finish it.
Where's that? gently caress, I need a map. This game is so confusing and I can't remember names for poo poo! Demon's Souls had 1-1, 3-2, etc. This you're hosed.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Revitalized posted:

excellent! Now to do that whole Darkwraith thing... but first I must prepare I guess.

You boned yourself out of that covenant if you already put the Lordvessel in the altar by talking to Frampt the serpent in Firelink :(

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Heavy neutrino posted:

The Black Knight is going to be extremely hard until you get a shield with enough stability to withstand his combos unless you have perfect dodge timing or something.
The shield that drops off the spear-users near the first Bonfire in the Undead area has enough stability that I can soak his hits. The spear they also drop means you can chip away at the knight whilst keeping your defenses up.

... I still have no idea how to beat him, though. None of my attacks do actual damage, they all bounce off his armor. Am I really supposed to whittle him down that way? I guess I could, but I always get bored, and then I die trying to take him out in some fantastically amazing (but doomed to failure) way. Is it possible to back-stab him? Every time I try, I end up doing a normal attack at his butt, and then he turns around and ends me.

Also, where is this guy with a giant club? I'm up to the Taurus Demon, and I think I've cleared everything there is over up to him. Would the club dude have been way back at where the bird drops you, if I hadn't taken the stairs/bridge over to where I am now?

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 10, 2011

Bastard Priest
Jun 16, 2010

by Fistgrrl
How do i get the bookcase to open in the dukes archives?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Revitalized posted:

Is there any easy way to leave a covenant? I accidentally joined Chaos Servant. I killed the doorman to the chaos servant person and I bet he was suppose to sell me super pyro spells! Oh well :sigh:

You don't need to leave a covenant before joining another one. Joining another one automatically abandons the old one.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

According to the wiki
code:
After defeating Smough and Ornstein in Anore Londo, speak with Gwynevere to enter this covenant.
You will receive the Sun Princess Ring for joining.
Miracle: Bountiful Sunlight and Miracle: Soothing Sunlight become available through Piscaca.
Where is this "Piscasa"? I suspect the name might be different in translation.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Wanderer seems cool. Is this class okay or is it gimp?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Shalinor posted:

The shield that drops off the spear-users near the first Bonfire in the Undead area has enough stability that I can soak his hits. The spear they also drop means you can chip away at the knight whilst keeping your defenses up.

... I still have no idea how to beat him, though. None of my attacks do actual damage, they all bounce off his armor. Am I really supposed to whittle him down that way? I guess I could, but I always get bored, and then I die trying to take him out in some fantastically amazing (but doomed to failure) way. Is it possible to back-stab him? Every time I try, I end up doing a normal attack at his butt, and then he turns around and ends me.

Also, where is this guy with a giant club? I'm up to the Taurus Demon, and I think I've cleared everything there is over up to him. Would the club dude have been way back at where the bird drops you, if I hadn't taken the stairs/bridge over to where I am now?

At this point, you're either going to have to riposte or backstab the knight to do enough damage. Thrusting weapons (or fire/lightning, which you probably don't have) will do the most damage. Keep circling him and he'll have a hard time hitting you - but you're probably better off coming back later.

Havel (the club guy) is behind the door in the tower you go up right before you fight the Taurus Demon.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Anor Londo looked so nice to begin with. It is, apart from the horrible shitlords that live there. Got to the second bonfire though, and flicked open a few shortcuts. That fortress was pretty nasty too, gently caress that place and gently caress Sen. I don't know if there's anyone called Sen in the game, but if there is I hope you can kill his/her/its rear end.

Met an NPC Phantom called Iron Tarkus or something, he was great. Found his armor later too, and that's pretty spiffy as well.

The Zweihander's 'back stab' is wonderful to see. I love it. It's +9 so far and busting heads. Two handing it and just flattening one of those cape knights is amazing.

That grind spot in the garden is hilarious. Stupid bastards just leap right off, or they stay on and whack my shield, throwing themselves off, or I kick the fuckers down.

This game makes me swear so much more than usual, whether that's because things go badly or things go well. This game is amazing.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 10, 2011

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Wanderer seems cool. Is this class okay or is it gimp?

As an agility based starter, it sets you up for being a lightly armored dodge maniac with medium-low damage (though fast hits) and good opportunity for bows.

It's not the most straight-forward class, especially since AGI based weapons feel rather weak early game. It's not "gimp" by any means, and it will only serve to help you to get used to dodging earlier rather than later.

Obviously as has been said over and over, the starting classes you pick really only dictates the game up to maybe the Capra Demon. You can literally do whatever. You can start a mage and then dump all your points into strength if you so desired.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

LukeyBoy posted:

Holy poo poo, just killed the gargoyles without help, what a loving rush.

So uh stupid question though, where next? I get the idea I'm supposed to go to Blight Town for the second bell but I'm not sure how. I wandered into the New Londo Ruins though and gently caress the ghosts.

Edit: Without help as the matchmaking is terrible. I wandered around near the boss entrance (as unhollowed) for 30 minutes looking for anyone to be summoned.

Head back to the dragon bridge, down by where that sun knight is. The previously locked door can now be unlocked. After a loooong ladder there will be two paths. Take the one going up for a shortcut to a previous bonfire, go down to continue your quest to die repeatedly.

Heavy neutrino posted:

The guy with the big club is meant to be fought later, but he's not terribly hard to kill at this point as long as you have the patience of a saint.

Annoying thing with him, all the advice I saw on him says to ditch all your armour and go full dodge since you can't block him and live. After roughly 10 attempts involving his loving homing club one-shotting mr, I said gently caress it and went in fully armoured with my Baldur shield up. He took off roughly half my stamina with each hit, and he hits so slowly that I could backstab with impunity. gently caress you advice!

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Shalinor posted:

You're not supposed to fight him yet, and yes it's possible to backstab him, but the game is really really picky about backstabs. You just have to get a feel for it.

The guy with the club is hidden in the tower you climb before fighting the Taurus Demon, behind a locked door that can be opened with the Master Key (never ever not pick the master key as your gift you will regret it)

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

So where do you learn advanced Pyromancies? I read that you have to max out your flame, which I did, and then they're somewhere in Blight Town? I told Laurentius about the Servants of Chaos faction, and then I found him down there, but he'd gone hollow and attacked me on sight.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ah yes, Gravelord Nito. Still stuck using that god damned Drake Sword doing 0.000002 damage per hit, no humanity to kindle the bonfire... the real Dark Souls starts here......

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Shalinor posted:

That guy I just completely cheesed. Plinked him with an arrow then ran away to the firebomb zombie spot and, well, firebombed him while he ran into a wall.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

MadJackMcJack posted:

Annoying thing with him, all the advice I saw on him says to ditch all your armour and go full dodge since you can't block him and live. After roughly 10 attempts involving his loving homing club one-shotting mr, I said gently caress it and went in fully armoured with my Baldur shield up. He took off roughly half my stamina with each hit, and he hits so slowly that I could backstab with impunity. gently caress you advice!

As long as you have a shield that blocks 100% physical then you shrug it off. You will die if you roll too early.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Gyoru posted:

You boned yourself out of that covenant if you already put the Lordvessel in the altar by talking to Frampt the serpent in Firelink :(

I haven't talked to Frampt yet, I stood in front of him last night then I decided I was too tired to continue so I quit. Lucky me?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

RentCavalier posted:

So, is the Gargoyle's Tail Axe any good? I love how it looks, but using it seems like a step down compared to the amazingness of the Drake Sword. I upgraded it twice so it's +2 but it still seems kinda...unsatisfying. Are axes better at chopping off enemy tails? I'd really like to get the special items from bosses here on out and the Drake Sword has been...inconsistent...in that regard.

The problem is you're comparing a basic weapon that has ~115 damage with a +2 to a weapon that does 200 damage right out of the gate but doesn't upgrade very well (or cheaply). The drake sword is amazing right out of the gate but toward the middle of the game it's usefulness drops off because it's damage never goes up with increased stats.

Once you get beyond +6 or so or even a holy/fire/magic upgrade, your basic weapons will becoming stronger than the drake sword.

As for the weapon itself, I for one love my blessed drake tail axe. It's amazing for the catacombs where even your basic hits stun skeletons. The R2 on it will never knock you back if you hit a wall. You also get increased Poison/Bleed/*TOXIN* resist while using it too.

*edit*

Sacrificial Toast posted:

So where do you learn advanced Pyromancies? I read that you have to max out your flame, which I did, and then they're somewhere in Blight Town? I told Laurentius about the Servants of Chaos faction, and then I found him down there, but he'd gone hollow and attacked me on sight.

There should be a trainer down there between the bonfire in the swamp and the boss area, she's hiding around a pillar.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Heavy neutrino posted:

The guy with the club is hidden in the tower you climb before fighting the Taurus Demon, behind a locked door that can be opened with the Master Key (never ever not pick the master key as your gift you will regret it)
I picked the mysterious ring, because my Wanderer is the apprentice of an ancient witch :colbert:

... who, within 30 seconds of starting, said gently caress this, amped up her strength, and found a shield and spear. gently caress dodging, I already spent the entirety of Demon's Souls as a paperweight that had to dodge everything.

Will it actually screw me later on? I suppose I am early enough in that I could still restart. Go with a more burly class instead of an agil class (or at least go with a magic class - didn't realize it would be ages until I could find my first spell), etc.

My goal this time is to be a magic-throwing metal god that, once out of magic, just rushes in and kicks people dramatically off tall things.

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

Shalinor posted:

I picked the mysterious ring, because my Wanderer is the apprentice of an ancient witch :colbert:

... who, within 30 seconds of starting, said gently caress this, amped up her strength, and found a shield and spear. gently caress dodging, I already spent the entirety of Demon's Souls as a paperweight that had to dodge everything.

Will it actually screw me later on? I suppose I am early enough in that I could still restart. Go with a more burly class instead of an agil class (or at least go with a magic class - didn't realize it would be ages until I could find my first spell), etc.

My goal this time is to be a magic-throwing metal god that, once out of magic, just rushes in and kicks people dramatically off tall things.

Personally after seeing how little of Blighttown you have to do first hand if you pick the master key and go in the back way, I will never make another character without it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

On ceaseless discharge: Lightning does wonders. If you want to beat him legitimately because the pit trick isn't working for you, get the free lightning spear the game gave you (upgrade it if you want, but chunks aren't farmable as far as I know), kindle the flame so you can bring 10 flasks just in case, and just go at it.

I still don't understand his attack pattern or how you're supposed to survive his fire blasts combined with tentacle rape.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Shalinor posted:

... who, within 30 seconds of starting, said gently caress this, amped up her strength, and found a shield and spear. gently caress dodging, I spend the entirety of Demon's Souls dodging as a paperweight.

It's really hard on the first playthrough to gently caress up your stats so bad you can't continue. By the time you hit soul level 30 or so anyway your stats will have leveled out the way you want them to no matter how you started.

Edit:

Reacean posted:

Personally after seeing how little of Blighttown you have to do first hand if you pick the master key and go in the back way, I will never make another character without it.

You don't have to have the masterkey to go in the back way. There is a path from darkroot basin, there is a cave along the cliffside toward the chasm, it's guarded by a black knight with a halberd, but if you can kill him/knock him off, you'll be in the valley of the drakes. The drakes themselves aren't bad to fight if you have a bleeding weapon like the bandit's knife or morningstar or reinforced club.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 10, 2011

acksplode
May 17, 2004

20 hours in and I accidentally R2 the Parish blacksmith in the face with my Drake Sword. gently caress. gently caress gently caress gently caress

That's basically a restart, right?

acksplode fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 10, 2011

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Reacean posted:

Is the back way by entering from the Valley of the Drakes? You'd then see a couple of the big troll guys with the poison clubs.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Heavy neutrino posted:

You could just get the key for that by killing the butterfly demon. If you can't kill that (especially considering you can get an NPC to pretty much win the fight for you), it's unlikely that you can kill Havel.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 10, 2011

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

The.GreyWolf posted:

Is the back way by entering from the Valley of the Drakes? You'd then see a couple of the big troll guys with the poison clubs.

Yeah, that would be the way I'm talking about. Run past those guys, take the waterwheel to the bottom, and run across the swamp to the boss area, that's about as much time as I ever want to spend in that god awful place again. I tried going back through after I cleared the story event stuff and I can't believe anyone would want to do that more than once ever.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Shalinor posted:

I'm a spear and shield Wanderer that uses magic, miracles, and pyromancy. I also have <25% equip burden, so I can dodge and run around like a jackass all I want. You'll be fine, there's pretty much no eventuality in the game where the only solution is to restart.

Wanderer is probably the second best jack of all trades class, behind Deprived. You start with some decent gear to boot!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I just found out that I can two-hand my Black Knight Sword and apparently have been able to for a while (can't one-hand it though, that'll be fun, 2 more level ups). Yesssss. Time to show that Moonlight Butterfly who's boss. I almost had it last time except I forgot to two-hand it the first time it came down, meaning I did like 60 damage instead of the expected 500 or so.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I'm stuck in New Londo :(

I made it to a building that houses some kind of elevator, but the levers won't work. There's also a door in the same building, but it happens to be locked. Any idea where I should go?

ericthebear
Mar 4, 2011

acksplode posted:

20 hours in and I accidentally R2 the Parish blacksmith in the face with my Drake Sword. gently caress. gently caress gently caress gently caress

That's basically a restart, right?

I believe you can buy absolution for an obscene amount of souls from the NPC after the garg boss fight.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

Double Monocle posted:

So does anyone know where I can farm/buy blue titanite chunks? Or whatever it is that you use to upgrade enchanted weapons?

Cause drat, I really wanna put down this lightning spear.
Old (wow, fast thread) but you definitely can get blue chunks off the crystal golems near the hydra. I got one off the fourth I killed.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I just beat the big knight in the church, but don't feel prepared to fight the gargoyles. What are my options for other places to go? I'm mostly running in circles.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Elysiume posted:

I just beat the big knight in the church, but don't feel prepared to fight the gargoyles. What are my options for other places to go? I'm mostly running in circles.
Right now, that's pretty much your only option. You can go gently caress around in the forest if you want, but that will be a dead end for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Where the hell am I supposed to go in Late game spoiler:Lost Isolith? Everywhere I go is a dragon that's going to destroy me. :(

• Locked thread