Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

homeless snail posted:

Right now, that's pretty much your only option. You can go gently caress around in the forest if you want, but that will be a dead end for you.
Aw, I am super terrified of the gargoyles. Last time they completely eviscerated me. I can't get any better armor from what I've found, and I don't know what else I can do. Guess I should just use some humanity, try to get that NPC, and maybe drag in another player?

If I die while human, do I retain my pooled humanity?

Unrelated, but I killed my first Black Knight (because he's easy as hell to parry/riposte, so it was two of those and a strong), and he didn't drop me any fancy gear. :saddowns:
Also while I was typing this I got a free Estus :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Almost Smart posted:

I'm stuck in New Londo :(

I made it to a building that houses some kind of elevator, but the levers won't work. There's also a door in the same building, but it happens to be locked. Any idea where I should go?

You're supposed to hit that area up later, when an NPC in the area gives you a key. You can just kill him for it if you want to, though.

homeless snail posted:

Right now, that's pretty much your only option. You can go gently caress around in the forest if you want, but that will be a dead end for you.

Not true, you can actually skip the gargoyles for a large portion of the game. You only need to go back there to ring the bell, you find the key to lower UD burg on a corpse near the gate in front of the church.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 10, 2011

acksplode
May 17, 2004

ericthebear posted:

I believe you can buy absolution for an obscene amount of souls from the NPC after the garg boss fight.

Yeah just googled that up. 58,000 souls. Do I want 3+ hours of farming tedium or to replay these 20 hours with a little more knowledge under my belt? Hahahah gently caress. The real Dark Souls starts he:suicide:

So, any suggestions on quick farming for someone who can barely kill the first three trolls in Blighttown? No forest access since, haha, the blacksmith that I attacked loving sells the thing you need to get in.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 10, 2011

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

:psyduck: Sens Fortress :psyduck:

Just when I think Im safe I Open a loving chest and get my head mauled off

There real dark souls started here.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Sorry I know it keeps getting posted, but where's that link showing what you can make out of boss souls?

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Vanguard Warden posted:

You're supposed to hit that area up later, when an NPC in the area gives you a key. You can just kill him for it if you want to, though.

Well poo poo, I rang both bells and what's his face told me to go check out the ruins. Where was i supposed to go then? Or who am I supposed to kill?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I still haven't found a mimic in Sen's Fortress I've only seen them at Anor Lando though.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Comrade Flynn posted:

Sorry I know it keeps getting posted, but where's that link showing what you can make out of boss souls?

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Upgrades#Boss Souls: Upgrade Usage

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Almost Smart posted:

Well poo poo, I rang both bells and what's his face told me to go check out the ruins. Where was i supposed to go then? Or who am I supposed to kill?

In that case I think the dude should just give it to you, he's on top of the church building near the locked gate with a crank behind it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Aw, I am super terrified of the gargoyles. Last time they completely eviscerated me. I can't get any better armor from what I've found, and I don't know what else I can do. Guess I should just use some humanity, try to get that NPC, and maybe drag in another player?

Yeah, having other people in that fight helps a lot. Try splitting them up, attacking one while your phantom buddies work on the other. There's a blacksmith under the bonfire there if you want to upgrade your armor.

The humanity will be on your bloodstain, just like your souls.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Reacean posted:

Yeah, that would be the way I'm talking about. Run past those guys, take the waterwheel to the bottom, and run across the swamp to the boss area, that's about as much time as I ever want to spend in that god awful place again. I tried going back through after I cleared the story event stuff and I can't believe anyone would want to do that more than once ever.

Thank you! I spent a couple deaths wondering how the hell to get down.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Pretty sure I've tried to beat this Capra Demon 100+ times now. Had him down to one hit but died. Really like this game and want to continue, but won't be able to like this.

Any easy way to get past these stupid dogs at all? It's about a 1/20 chance I even get past them.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

homeless snail posted:

Yeah, having other people in that fight helps a lot. Try splitting them up, attacking one while your phantom buddies work on the other. There's a blacksmith under the bonfire there if you want to upgrade your armor.

The humanity will be on your bloodstain, just like your souls.
I might try to farm up some souls so I can enhance my armor. Would that be a waste of time? How soon can I expect to replace my armor? I have the thief armor, which appears to better than everything that drops (Hollow Warrior, Hollow Soldier, Balder) and the chainmail the one merchant has.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Alright, if the ceaseless discharge glitch doesn't work for you:
Have a lightning weapon (it's the only kind of damage that's effective on him), a shield with at least 70 stability (I used a silver knight shield +2), and at least four and a half bars of stamina.

Lure him to the starting point and he should stop chasing you. Observe his attack, where the tentacle ends, and stand outside the edge of his tentacle's range. You should be able to block his fireblast and take some minor damage (wear a fire resistant ring/armor set) and stab his tentacle. Step back. Repeat. He'll be dead in minutes.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Vanguard Warden posted:

Not true, you can actually skip the gargoyles for a large portion of the game. You only need to go back there to ring the bell, you find the key to lower UD burg on a corpse near the gate in front of the church.
I forgot that you got the key before you fight the gargoyles, but if you can't beat them then what luck do you have beating the Capra Demon. v:shobon:v

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Harminoff posted:

Pretty sure I've tried to beat this Capra Demon 100+ times now. Had him down to one hit but died. Really like this game and want to continue, but won't be able to like this.

Any easy way to get past these stupid dogs at all? It's about a 1/20 chance I even get past them.

There's a ring with a +40 to poise, don't remember where it's at though. If you have that plus some pretty ballin' armor you should be able to swing through any attack aimed at you

Gymp
Dec 9, 2003

Harminoff posted:

I find it easy waiting for his opening attack where his hammers down with both weapons, dodge right, book it to the stairs on the left, then huddle on the ledge on the right. The big guy can still get you, so watch out, but if you're lucky enough the dogs will get up there first for you to kill. Once you get the dogs out of the way the guy is a piece of cake, just keep circling him.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harminoff posted:

Dogs really don't like fire, stock up on firebombs at the Burg merchant or black resin in the aqueduct.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
I just got screwed over in true Demon's Dark Souls fashion.

Exploring a new area that's just unlocked for me {Anor Londo), my White Soapstone's greyed out, so I figure I'm in a safe, no-multiplayer area. Why not, it's not the first area I've encountered like this.

Come to a hallway with an obvious not-a-boss-really at the end of it. I pull it to the chamber I'm in, fight it a bit, it runs away. I step into the hallway to pull it back... and my back is immediately blocked by grey fog. I've been in multiplayer space for all of a half second and I'm being invaded. Some summoning signs have appeared too, so I try and grab a couple, but get Summon Failed both times. The black phantom in an onion hat rolls up to me, snaps his fingers and causes me to explode as I'm trying to finish off the not-a-boss.

True Dark Souls starts here blah blah

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I hit the wrong button and fell of a ledge, which means my 3 humanity are now lost forever. :negative:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Gymp posted:

I find it easy waiting for his opening attack where his hammers down with both weapons, dodge right, book it to the stairs on the left, then huddle on the ledge on the right. The big guy can still get you, so watch out, but if you're lucky enough the dogs will get up there first for you to kill. Once you get the dogs out of the way the guy is a piece of cake, just keep circling him.

Finally loving got him. This worked great to get past the dog's, then I just plunged attacked to victory.

Now I can finally watch the Packer game. Thank you greatly.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Harminoff posted:

I was stuck there for a lonnnng time, too. My eventual strategy was:

1. Immediately sprint right, just before the first swing, do the jump/dive/roll thing to get behind the Demon.
2. DON'T try to lock on to anything; half the time you'll lock on to the dog/Demon behind you and spin around, just in time for the 2nd dog to pop out and hit you in the back. At that point, you may as well pack it in.
3. Swing openly into that 2nd dog that pops out back there from the little alcove (ideally with something with a horizontal swing, and of course, hopefully you'll kill it in one shot- if not, try upgrading some gear before trying again).
4. KEEP YOUR SHIELD UP, and be ready to dodge/roll/block another attack from the Demon, then run up the stairs. The remaining dog should follow you quickly, while the Demon will take a minute to stalk around. Kill the dog atop the stairs/on the little ledge there.
5. From here, it's a solo match with the Demon which isn't terribly difficult, but is mostly a test of stamina management, and just traditional melee (strafe around him, block/sidestep attacks, swing into his back after he misses, repeat ad nauseum). Others have mentioned using the stairs more to plunge attack on top of him, or to lob magic/firebombs at him. I was less successful with this strategy personally, and did much better just slowly and methodically taking him down with my weapon.

It is an incredibly frustrating encounter, definitely one of the only times in DeS or DaS so far which I started to feel that I hadn't earned these deaths. But it is ultimately very doable. Good luck!

e: Oh, you got it while I was typing this. Well, maybe someone else will find it useful. :v:

Merauder fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 10, 2011

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I guess people on the 360 started to finally make it to Anor Londo tonight because I was actually able to get 5 Darkmoon invasions to work. It made me realize just how ridiculously bad the multiplayer layout is, though. When you try to invade someone it doesn't just look at the general area you're in and try to locate another player, it looks at the exact chunk of the area you're in and tries to find players in that chunk. With all of the other restrictions it's loving amazing anyone ever gets invaded.

edit: It was all worth it to kill someone and then after being returned to my world seeing the bloodstain of me killing them.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

acksplode posted:

Yeah just googled that up. 58,000 souls. Do I want 3+ hours of farming tedium or to replay these 20 hours with a little more knowledge under my belt? Hahahah gently caress. The real Dark Souls starts he:suicide:

So, any suggestions on quick farming for someone who can barely kill the first three trolls in Blighttown? No forest access since, haha, the blacksmith that I attacked loving sells the thing you need to get in.

That's like 15-20 minutes of farming the forest fwiw.

Scrooged
Feb 19, 2004

Truth, Juthtithe,
and the American Way
^^read the whole post, brah

acksplode posted:

Go human, chalk up near a boss, reap the benefits. The gaping dragon nets 12k per run, and you spawn right outside it when you win. If you die, no loss, just start back at the bonfire.

Scrooged fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 10, 2011

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Elysiume posted:

Unrelated, but I killed my first Black Knight (because he's easy as hell to parry/riposte, so it was two of those and a strong), and he didn't drop me any fancy gear. :saddowns:
Also while I was typing this I got a free Estus :toot:

Do you still have any lightning resin? You can find it in a chest a bit before the first boss fight in Undead Burg. The door to get there might be locked though, I'm not sure. If it is, you can buy the key off the undead merchant. Hell, I think the merchant may just straight up sell lightning resin.

Put that thing on your weapon before you go to fight the boss. It absolutely wrecks him. A buddy of mine went up against the gargoyles for the first time using lightning resin, the NPC you can summon, and some other random summoned dude. This guy was pretty awful at the game at that point but he won first try within about 20 seconds. Give it a shot.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Cao Ni Ma posted:

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Upgrades#Boss Souls: Upgrade Usage

So if I want the Fury Sword, I need to get a curved sword to +10...can I use ANY curved sword? Is it better to use one in particular?

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Question: Are thief/backstabby type characters viable in Dark Souls or are they gimped like Demon's Souls?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Comrade Flynn posted:

So if I want the Fury Sword, I need to get a curved sword to +10...can I use ANY curved sword? Is it better to use one in particular?

The eligible swords are Panting Guardian Sword, Murakumo, Server, Shotel, Scimitar, and Falchion

Doesn't matter which one you use, the fury sword always comes out the same.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Vargs posted:

Do you still have any lightning resin? You can find it in a chest a bit before the first boss fight in Undead Burg. The door to get there might be locked though, I'm not sure. If it is, you can buy the key off the undead merchant. Hell, I think the merchant may just straight up sell lightning resin.

Put that thing on your weapon before you go to fight the boss. It absolutely wrecks him. A buddy of mine went up against the gargoyles for the first time using lightning resin, the NPC you can summon, and some other random summoned dude. This guy was pretty awful at the game at that point but he won first try within about 20 seconds. Give it a shot.
I can't use the resin on my weapon of choice (Asotil's), but I can try slapping it on my Winged Spear. I'll just try to get that thing to +5, then burn one of my item-humanity so I can get the NPC and a player to help me out.

The first time I fought the gargoyles (on my last character) I got hit once then decided it was hopeless and took my own life. The coward's way out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

As a warrior, am I ever going to use magic/miracles? I've never even seen a trainer for one, but I am curious how they'd work out. My faith and intelligence are both under 11 at the moment though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So..after the ceaseless discharge.. there's a capra demon, and in the distance an army of taurus demons. It's pretty cool to kill them easily and see how much you've grown.

Holy crap there's an army of Capra Demons on the other side too.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I'm grinding up my strength to 46 using the darkroot exploit so I can one hand the demon axe. This should be fun.

5 more points to go. Last level up cost me 21472 souls.

About 110k to go :smith:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bobnumerotres posted:

So..after the ceaseless discharge.. there's a capra demon, and in the distance an army of taurus demons. It's pretty cool to kill them easily and see how much you've grown.
The taurus demons to the left as you are coming down the ramp don't respawn, is that true for the ones behind the capra demons too? The capra demons (all ten of them or so) definitely respawn.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Crowbear posted:

The eligible swords are Panting Guardian Sword, Murakumo, Server, Shotel, Scimitar, and Falchion

Doesn't matter which one you use, the fury sword always comes out the same.

Where's an easy location to grab one of those?

Prof_Beatnuts
Jul 29, 2004
I used to be bad but now I'm good
Anyone redeemed the code they got for solving the glyph puzzle like a half a year back? I just tried and it game me an achievement and seems to start a new puzzle. Anyone know what the gently caress is up with the site and/or redeem codes?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Comrade Flynn posted:

You can buy a falchion from the vendor in the upper berbs IIRC. Scimitar should work for it too.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Scrooged posted:

Go human, chalk up near a boss, reap the benefits. The gaping dragon nets 12k per run, and you spawn right outside it when you win. If you die, no loss, just start back at the bonfire.

Ah, great idea thanks. I'm at SL 29, which I think is near enough to typical SL for Gaping Dragon.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Comrade Flynn posted:

I grabbed the Server in Blighttown. If you go to the leech area that's opposite where Quelaag's lair is you'll find it in a room with like, a dozen leeches.

Dunno about the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

The taurus demons to the left as you are coming down the ramp don't respawn, is that true for the ones behind the capra demons too? The capra demons (all ten of them or so) definitely respawn.

I just wish there was a faster way to get down there.

Also that is absurd, they respawn?! Do they have a weakness?

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 10, 2011

• Locked thread