Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hell Diver posted:

This has been asked to death, but what's the fastest way back to Firelink from Blightown?
Concrete waterway near the bottom full of fire dogs and dart guys -> valley of the drakes -> new londo ruins -> firelink

Sounds like fun, doesn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

evilalien posted:

This was answered like 10 posts up:

Whoops, sorry. I was posting in between summons against the Spider Queen and didn't look at the posts above me. This thread moves really drat fast.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Concrete waterway near the bottom full of fire dogs and dart guys -> valley of the drakes -> new londo ruins -> firelink

Sounds like fun, doesn't it?

I don't think you have to go anywhere near the dogs and toxic dart guys on the way up if you don't want to. You really should at some point though because they are guarding a Firekeeper's Soul.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Rollersnake posted:

Count me in as another sad person who cannot loving beat the Capra Demon fight. Going on eleven tries now, and the most any previous boss took me (the gargoyles) was four. There's just no room to maneuver, the camera zooms in so close I can't tell what the gently caress I'm doing, and I don't think any attempt has lasted more than twenty seconds. Am I okay putting this boss fight off until later in the game and moving on to the forest?

For what its worth, 11 is pretty mild compared to where some of us went to finish that encounter. :) Here's the advice I gave another guy a few pages back:

Merauder posted:

1. Immediately sprint right, just before the first swing, do the jump/dive/roll thing to get behind the Demon.
2. DON'T try to lock on to anything; half the time you'll lock on to the dog/Demon behind you and spin around, just in time for the 2nd dog to pop out and hit you in the back. At that point, you may as well pack it in.
3. Swing openly into that 2nd dog that pops out back there from the little alcove (ideally with something with a horizontal swing, and of course, hopefully you'll kill it in one shot- if not, try upgrading some gear before trying again).
4. KEEP YOUR SHIELD UP, and be ready to dodge/roll/block another attack from the Demon, then run up the stairs. The remaining dog should follow you quickly, while the Demon will take a minute to stalk around. Kill the dog atop the stairs/on the little ledge there.
5. From here, it's a solo match with the Demon which isn't terribly difficult, but is mostly a test of stamina management, and just traditional melee (strafe around him, block/sidestep attacks, swing into his back after he misses, repeat ad nauseum). Others have mentioned using the stairs more to plunge attack on top of him, or to lob magic/firebombs at him. I was less successful with this strategy personally, and did much better just slowly and methodically taking him down with my weapon.

That said, if you really want to pass on it for now, you could go explore the forest, but I don't think it will bode well. There's a lot of big stuff, but maybe it will be better suited for you. Give it a try, and if it seems above your level then go back and grind the hell out of Capra until he drops.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So which of you will be the first to kill all the enemies without dying? I don't mean beat the game without dying, but after unlocking everything running through and killing everyone thus having an empty world?

That is the final challenge.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Lava level: TAURUS AND CAPRA DEMONS EVERYWHERE what did I ever do to deserve this? :shepface:

Rollersnake posted:

Count me in as another sad person who cannot loving beat the Capra Demon fight. Going on eleven tries now, and the most any previous boss took me (the gargoyles) was four. There's just no room to maneuver, the camera zooms in so close I can't tell what the gently caress I'm doing, and I don't think any attempt has lasted more than twenty seconds. Am I okay putting this boss fight off until later in the game and moving on to the forest?

You can cheese it if you need to. On the left there's a stairway you can go up. Use it and head all the way to the right at the end, on top of that doorframe. The dogs will still be able to get you, but Capra has a difficult time pathing there and will only be able to hit you occasionally. You should be able to firebomb/arrow the gently caress out of him while guarding when he runs at you.

That's how I beat him. I probably could have done it a legitimate way but I take great joy in finding way to cheese bosses.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Having an enemy that you need an expensive / rare item to even fight is really goddamn stupid. If you run out, New Londo Ruins is basically off-limits until you can buy more.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wow, fought through an army of former bosses just for another dumb asylum demon with a new coat of paint . Honestly what kind of boss fight is that after such a hard lead-up?

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Shumagorath posted:

Having an enemy that you need an expensive / rare item to even fight is really goddamn stupid. If you run out, New Londo Ruins is basically off-limits until you can buy more.

Oh, there's another way.

Get cursed by the frogs in the Depths. That gets you the same curse that the item does, so ghosts are hittable again.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Shumagorath posted:

What's really hilarious is that the merchant who sells transient curses only has so many of them.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shumagorath posted:

I was fine working my way through there until I just came to a complete dead-end. I found the tower that has an inoperable elevator in it and for the life of me I just couldn't figure out where to go to next. I just ended up doubling back with my Firekeeper soul and going to Blightown.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Well, there is a free way to get cursed if you're that interested :v:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Trynant posted:

Oh, there's another way.

Get cursed by the frogs in the Depths. That gets you the same curse that the item does, so ghosts are hittable again.
Yeah, about those frogs: We had three guys absolutely steamrolling the Depths until I took a wrong turn off a ledge and got cursed and insta-killed before I could even swing my weapon.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I haven't even attempted going through the Ruins and ghosts yet. Can anyone estimate about how long one of the Transient Curses lasts when you use it?

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Rollersnake posted:

As someone who finally beat Capra last night, here's what I did. Took me about 10 tries. Beat him solo, too.

First, get your estus flasks up to +2. Then, make sure you're using some sort of kite shield that blocks 100 percent of physical damage. Also, don't have lovely endurance...Mine is like 12. Lastly, get the Drake Sword. If you're avoiding it because you want to play honestly or whatever like some people are, gently caress that. The game is hard as poo poo even with the Drake Sword, so it's not like it's ez mode.

First, dash straight forward and right. You absolutely MUST close with him fast because that leaping double sword hit he does will ruin you. Stunlocks you, goes through your shield, dogs will ruin you, etc. If you run up to him, however, he doesn't do that attack, and does some other attack that you can block. Your ultimate goal is to get past him to either the stairs or the back of the room. Then, kill those loving dogs as fast as you can. Keep your shield up and faced toward him, and as long as you're not really far away from him he won't do any attack you can't block.

As soon as the dogs are dead get up the stairs any way you can. Run up to the top of the stairs, then stay at the top until you see him start up the stairs. DON'T Run out onto the landing thingie until he hits the stairs, because if you do he'll do a leaping attack and hit you up there. You want him to be on the stairs before you run over, because at that point he'll follow you up. As soon as he starts getting near the top, drop down, back up a few steps, and wait for him to jump down. When he hits the bottom you have about 2 seconds worth of time to ruin his poo poo. Hit him a few times, DONT GET GREEDY, then hightail it for the stairs. If he follows you, repeat. If he stays below and jumps around like a retard, then do a plunging attack to take off a ton of life. Just be careful with that one...If he's to far forward you'll fall on the inside side of him after hitting him and be trapped in the little alcove, and if he's too far into the alcove you'll miss completely and he'll rape you up the butt while you recover from the fall.

Just be careful and do this. Seriously, 95 precent of this fight is surviving the first five seconds, and you can do that fairly reliably by charging so he doesn't do that crazy rear end attack. Block the first attack he does, move around, kill dogs as fast as possible, then start using the stairs.

Sorry this is so loving long...When I finally killed him last night it was the best YEAH MOTHERFUCKER moment I've had in this game so far. sadlfjsjklsd

Also, only kill him if you don't want to farm the red dragon kills anymore. As soon as I killed Capra, then went back to the bridge, the red dragon self desructed for some reason. :(

Maultaschen
Jan 19, 2004

Stood outside of Capra's room for 20 minutes trying to summon help. I tried 8 or 9 times, but every single one failed. Is this a thing that happens? I've summoned another player before, but these just weren't working. When I put my sign down, I waited several minutes and didn't get any takers.

But then I just went in and beat him on my first try. :buddy:

And then a summon in the first room of the Depths failed, goddamnit.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I'm thinking of setting up a soul sign for the Gargoyle boss fight to lower the faith requirement for the Sun Warrior covenant . I'm currently SL 20. Is that in range for the average player fighting the boss?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Merauder posted:

I haven't even attempted going through the Ruins and ghosts yet. Can anyone estimate about how long one of the Transient Curses lasts when you use it?
I'd say four minutes, and the item greys out until the current use expires. I lost my first one mid-fight and was not happy.

Systems_Id
Feb 16, 2005

LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK!
Moonlight Butterfly

Cotdamn

J
Jun 10, 2001

evilalien posted:

What's really hilarious is that the merchant who sells transient curses only has so many of them.

If you wear the gold serpent ring as you go through the ruins the ghosts will drop transient curses at a decent enough rate that you probably shouldn't run out and depending on how fast you go, you might come out with more than you started with.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Yeah, about those frogs: We had three guys absolutely steamrolling the depths until I took a wrong turn off a ledge and got cursed and insta-killed before I could even swing my weapon.
Did you farm souls for a purgestone? Honestly, I think the preferred way to get cured should be to go into New Londo. It might take a little longer, but you end up with a lot of really useful loot, like a pile of transient curses, a knife that hurts ghosts, a curse resistance ring, and a fire keeper's soul

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I really do have to say, I love this game more than Demon's Souls.

The fact that I can put in entire weekend into it and only just now late game spoiler
get three lord souls is awesome.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut
Make sure not to ever press X while viewing the Book of the Guilty. It hangs the game loading data over the lovely peer-to-peer network. I've been stuck at this screen for 10 minutes now (you can't cancel). I'll probably have to reboot the console soon and hope it didn't corrupt my save.

For those doing the Forest Covenant, a pro tip: If you end up in a fight against someone stronger than you, try to survive for a few minutes. During peak time it seems likely that you'll have other blue phantoms summoned in to help, and if there are two or three of you, you can probably defeat a higher level enemy. I got thrown in against someone with better gear and stats but was able to stay alive until someone else warped in and the two of us cornered him and managed to get a kill.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Can you ride the water wheel down into blight town? Because I just fell off and died.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

^ Yeah you can, its a matter of timing though

Kaelan Zero posted:

Make sure not to ever press X while viewing the Book of the Guilty. It hangs the game loading data over the lovely peer-to-peer network. I've been stuck at this screen for 10 minutes now (you can't cancel). I'll probably have to reboot the console soon and hope it didn't corrupt my save.
Leaderboards aren't peer-to-peer. From is getting a lot of poo poo over the network change, when in reality it doesn't impact all that much.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Literally been wearing the Forest Covenant ring all day, hollowed and unhollowed, and I haven't been summoned once. :sigh: I just want to kill some more guys so I can get my ring and quit this dumb covenant so I can farm them for souls again.

Tokubetsu posted:

Can you ride the water wheel down into blight town? Because I just fell off and died.

There are two wheels. One with planks and one without.

Did you ride the one with planks? :shepface:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

A Nice Boy posted:

As someone who finally beat Capra last night, here's what I did. Took me about 10 tries. Beat him solo, too.

First, get your estus flasks up to +2. Then, make sure you're using some sort of kite shield that blocks 100 percent of physical damage. Also, don't have lovely endurance...Mine is like 12. Lastly, get the Drake Sword. If you're avoiding it because you want to play honestly or whatever like some people are, gently caress that. The game is hard as poo poo even with the Drake Sword, so it's not like it's ez mode.

First, dash straight forward and right. You absolutely MUST close with him fast because that leaping double sword hit he does will ruin you. Stunlocks you, goes through your shield, dogs will ruin you, etc. If you run up to him, however, he doesn't do that attack, and does some other attack that you can block. Your ultimate goal is to get past him to either the stairs or the back of the room. Then, kill those loving dogs as fast as you can. Keep your shield up and faced toward him, and as long as you're not really far away from him he won't do any attack you can't block.

As soon as the dogs are dead get up the stairs any way you can. Run up to the top of the stairs, then stay at the top until you see him start up the stairs. DON'T Run out onto the landing thingie until he hits the stairs, because if you do he'll do a leaping attack and hit you up there. You want him to be on the stairs before you run over, because at that point he'll follow you up. As soon as he starts getting near the top, drop down, back up a few steps, and wait for him to jump down. When he hits the bottom you have about 2 seconds worth of time to ruin his poo poo. Hit him a few times, DONT GET GREEDY, then hightail it for the stairs. If he follows you, repeat. If he stays below and jumps around like a retard, then do a plunging attack to take off a ton of life. Just be careful with that one...If he's to far forward you'll fall on the inside side of him after hitting him and be trapped in the little alcove, and if he's too far into the alcove you'll miss completely and he'll rape you up the butt while you recover from the fall.

Just be careful and do this. Seriously, 95 precent of this fight is surviving the first five seconds, and you can do that fairly reliably by charging so he doesn't do that crazy rear end attack. Block the first attack he does, move around, kill dogs as fast as possible, then start using the stairs.

Sorry this is so loving long...When I finally killed him last night it was the best YEAH MOTHERFUCKER moment I've had in this game so far. sadlfjsjklsd

Also, only kill him if you don't want to farm the red dragon kills anymore. As soon as I killed Capra, then went back to the bridge, the red dragon self desructed for some reason. :(

... or you can just sit on that ledge with some arrows and magic missiles and only move when he gets halfway up the stairs. It's actually easier to just bolt straight for the ledge and fight the dogs up there.

My red drake disappeared long before that fight. I think if you get underneath him he vanishes.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.
70k souls lost because of a goddamn watermill and low fps... Ouch.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Tokubetsu posted:

You can, it's slightly tricky though.

On an unrelated note, just got past Anor Londo and god drat the rooftop section was annoying, my hand hurts from so much playing.

Thanks to Solaire and a white phantom (BlackHawkx360, iirc) I was able to take down Ornstein and Smough, it was a really close battle though!

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

So, regarding the wheel in Blight Town. Has anyone tried shooting the dog that runs it?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

evilalien posted:

If you use the serpent ring, you are almost certainly likely to end up with more of them than you use. If you don't have the serpent ring, you really shouldn't be in new londo yet. The boss is no joke, and is killing me right now.

The ghosts can also drop a knife that will let you hit them without being cursed.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
I don't know why it's such a big problem. I started londo with 2 curses from the corpse in the jar near the bridge, and wound up with 10 when I was done. The ghosts drop curses like candy.

After spending about 45 minutes standing around in the forest with the ring on, I finally got to invade the last guy I needed to kill to get my fog ring. If someone wearing heavy black armor wields a gently caress-off huge sword with two hands and comes at you, retreat. Don't try to stagger him with your stupid little lightning spear, don't try to block with your grass crest shield, it won't work.

Shumagorath posted:

My red drake disappeared long before that fight. I think if you get underneath him he vanishes.

Nah, he just flies off, you can see him disappear over the hill in the distance. He comes back after a map reset (death or reloading).

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 10, 2011

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
My problem seems to be if I manage to make it up the stairs at all, I whiff every attack I try to make against the dogs as they're on slightly lower ground—I've stopped trying to go up the stairs at all as that seems to be the fastest way to gently caress myself over. I'm just going to try other areas and come back to this if that's too hard.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Bluemidget posted:

Do drakes from the Valley of Drakes drop dragon scales?

Yes, but the guide classes them at the lowest drop chance rank there is.

A Nice Boy posted:

First, get your estus flasks up to +2.

I giggled.

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

I wish the multi-player elements were a tad more flexible. I spend 15+ with my summoning sign available by a boss, get in, the summoner dies either from inexperience or mistakes, and I sit and wait another 15+ minutes.

That said, I know if I ever wanted to pvp all I would have to do is go human, holy jesus it takes 0 time at all to get invaded in level-appropriate areas. I went through Anor Lando with 2 very helpful white phantoms and in the time it took to reach the boss, we had fended off at least 5 invasions.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
After Ceaseless Discharge I beat a bunch of Taurus Demons. There are some goodies in the lava next to where they were, can I get these without burning to death? I've got a bunch of souls I'd really rather not leave in the middle of a lava pool.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
So if I white-sigil, can I get summoned to people of vastly different levels? I want to help people with the gargoyles, but I want to wait until I'm better and stronger. If I wait, though, nobody of my level will need help. Will people of way lower levels see my sigil?

Futanari Rastafari
Apr 19, 2004

New Sincerity Posting
The Londo Ruins boss for me was just a giant DPS race, I had to take my Lightning Spear up in damage and never let a gap go unpunished early in the fight. It sure seems like a ton of random stuff in that fight can kill you though and there is not much you can do about it.

The fight is also made harder by of course there being no bonfires, ghosts, and nobody really hanging around to help.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Tgent posted:

After Ceaseless Discharge I beat a bunch of Taurus Demons. There are some goodies in the lava next to where they were, can I get these without burning to death? I've got a bunch of souls I'd really rather not leave in the middle of a lava pool.

You'll probably die getting the one that's sitting in the lava, but your souls will still be on solid ground a few seconds behind where you died, so it's no trouble getting them back. All the enemies in that spot won't respawn either. It's the final fire ember item, the middle tier one is actually deeper in the same area behind the capra demons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.
What are the best areas to farm, I know they've been mentioned in thread but well you know. Souls, titanite shards, and other important items. If someone makes a good little write up throw it in the OP too! Cheers.

• Locked thread