Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Twatty Seahag posted:

Don't worry, your constipation issues will be solved when you start pushing during delivery. :D

I had someone tell me that she was sick when pregnant but, "felt so much better after about the ninth month!" :downs:

The worstbest part was she wasn't trying to make a joke.

Question:
I currently have zero energy for sex. I hear this changes in the second trimester?

I guess I'm just lucky that my husband has been really understanding. Sleeping for 12 hours a day certainly helps my case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A SPECIAL UNICORN
Apr 12, 2006

REALLY FUCKING SPECIAL

A SPECIAL UNICORN fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 15, 2019

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Gumby Orgy posted:

I had someone tell me that she was sick when pregnant but, "felt so much better after about the ninth month!" :downs:

The worstbest part was she wasn't trying to make a joke.

Pregnancy is uncomfortable, a little for some, more for others. That description is pretty accurate for most common pregnancy-related things. For me it was heartburn. It sucks but it does go away once the baby is out!

Gumby Orgy posted:

Question:
I currently have zero energy for sex. I hear this changes in the second trimester?

I guess I'm just lucky that my husband has been really understanding. Sleeping for 12 hours a day certainly helps my case.

I think it's very individual. Maybe you will, maybe you won't. I had very little sex drive in the second trimester, more in the third actually.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Chicken McNobody posted:

It seems that my clinic has you drink a 16-oz Coke or Sprite for your glucose test, instead of the glucose drink most people use. Is this something anyone else had to do? (Not complaining, from what I hear the weird liquid tastes nasty.)

Fast sugar is fast sugar. They're just looking for a measured number of carbohydrates that aren't tainted with anything else like protein, fiber or fat that would slow down how quickly it's broken down.

I wouldn't sweat too much on what to eat beforehand if you were told you can eat. If you have glucose intolerance, it will show up no matter what you eat beforehand. If it's not a factor for you, you could eat an ice cream sundae and it would probably get packed away into fat cells nicely, but it wouldn't raise your blood sugar because your endocrine system works efficiently.

In a perfect world, every pregnant woman would be eating the gestational diabetes diet anyway. It's perfect for pregnancy because it's small meals and snacks 6x a day, which helps with heartburn and all high-fiber foods help with constipation. I didn't have constipation with either of my pregnancies, and heartburn only showed up in the 9th month.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005
I loved my OB and most of the time she just said "Pregnancy is weird" in response to my questions. It was her way of telling me that pregnancy causes strange things to happen and Yes, it's normal.

Whatever you are experiencing is probably normal. Not only is it probably normal, it's common. Amazing, huh?

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011

Water Hammer posted:

I don't know how to put this, but I'm dating a girl who now has a 2 day old kid. What can I do to help? She seems reluctant to ask...

Be very clear that you want to help because you want to help, it'll make you feel good.

When my daughter was that little I didn't want to let anyone except me & her dad touch her, so the help I wanted was all housework and food and stuff. Feed her, give her lots of water, offer to do her laundry or her dishes. Shop for groceries for her. Basically, unless she's asking you to hold the baby because she's had enough, do all the stuff she can't do while she's holding the baby and recovering.

Don't burn yourself out. The last thing you want is to end up resenting her.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Gumby Orgy posted:

Question:

For me, my first trimester sex issues weren't so much because of the low energy (which definitely sucked), but it was more my new, amazing & annoying sense of smell. Nothing breaks up sexy time like some dry heaving, amirite? I was much more in the mood once my nausea settled down, and I wasn't overreacting to the slightest odors. I think 2nd trimester is also when the graphic sex dreams started up, too. Enitsirk's OB is right on - pregnancy is weird.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!

MoCookies posted:

For me, my first trimester sex issues weren't so much because of the low energy (which definitely sucked), but it was more my new, amazing & annoying sense of smell. Nothing breaks up sexy time like some dry heaving, amirite? I was much more in the mood once my nausea settled down, and I wasn't overreacting to the slightest odors. I think 2nd trimester is also when the graphic sex dreams started up, too. Enitsirk's OB is right on - pregnancy is weird.

Yea it is. My sex drive has been in overdrive since I got pregnant, but my first trimester was ridiculously frustrating because I was so drat sick, I'd get motion sickness from sex (lol) or my gag reflex would go off just from general kissing (WTF). Or... I'd just get nasty cramps and bathroom issues.

Nothing like having to vomit or poop to kill a mood.

Beginning of second trimester was fine... But now that I'm nearing the third I just feel awkward with a growing belly, and it is impossible to get at all comfortable. Fun :/

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Holy colostrum, Batman! Seriously? Anyone else had it come in at full force around 25 weeks? I thought I had at least another month or two before I'd have to wear freaking breast pads.

Gumby Orgy, it is totally dependent on the person. I was super randy in my first trimester but I was so sick it didn't really matter. The second trimester has been a little better but now toward the end of that the belly is kind of becoming an issue so we'll see how it goes the last few months.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
Did somebody say colostrum? I'm actually glad you brought it up, since everyone else I ask looks at me weird and said "no... that never happened to me." I think it started around the same time as you, 25 weeks or so, and has kept up pretty consistently since then. Sometimes I'll go days with nothing, and then bam, I look down and my shirt is wet. It got very frustrating having to change shirts all the time so I pretty much just wear nursing pads all the time now. I used to have pierced nipples and I've been wondering if that might be contributing to the large amounts of leakage? But I have heard that it's perfectly normal to leak at least a little bit, so who knows.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Bahunter22 posted:

Holy colostrum, Batman! Seriously? Anyone else had it come in at full force around 25 weeks? I thought I had at least another month or two before I'd have to wear freaking breast pads.

'Sup, leaking buddy. :hfive: This was totally me. I finally started hand-expressing to increase comfort. Everyone was very impressed and told me how I would have no trouble feeding--then my milk didn't come in until day five. Pregnancy is indeed weird, and bodies are unpredictable.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
Joining the leaking boobs club. I've been leaking from about week 26. It's so weird. And inconsistent. At least I'm not the only one.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
Yep. Leaking since around 22 weeks. I wouldn't mind too much if it actually meant the milk would be ready to go when she gets here, but I know from last time that that's not the case at all. What the hell is your problem, boobs. :mad:

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

What's it like when they start leaking? No leaking here, but the past few weeks I've been getting clear-whitish crusties in my nipples. Just hitting 24 weeks tomorrow!

Anyway, babygirl is sitting breech right now (or every time I have an ultrasound or exam) but I'm pretty sure that she flips around once in awhile now that I can feel her.

I get kicking in the bottom belly, but once in awhile I just get this godawful sensation and then kicking commences way up high. Don't really notice any more movement but just usually wake up in the morning with kicking at the bottom again.

Can't really feel limbs through the belly very often yet with my inexperienced hands, so I'm not sure.

Is it normal for it to feel so unpleasant? I kinda feel guilty for thinking it does...

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Doom Catcher posted:

Is it normal for it to feel so unpleasant? I kinda feel guilty for thinking it does...

Yup. It's perfectly normal.

Also, babies will flip around usually until the last few weeks or so when there's little to no more room for them to move so I wouldn't worry about the breech position.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

bamzilla posted:

Yup. It's perfectly normal.

Also, babies will flip around usually until the last few weeks or so when there's little to no more room for them to move so I wouldn't worry about the breech position.

Thanks. I was feeling a bit lovely because I expressed to a friend how unpleasant it felt and she kind of side eyed me and told me it was the most wonderful feeling in the world. And yea, it's definitely freaking amazing to feel and know that's my baby in there but it still doesn't feel nice lol.

I guess I am paranoid about the breech thing because the last three friends that had a kid all went breech and two ended up with a c-section and I'm hoping to avoid it. If it is needed, I won't be heartbroken, but you know.

Dr. Octagon
Aug 12, 2008

Ride or Die Bitch, Esq.
Today is my due date! :toot: Too bad baby is still high, and I'm only a fingertip dilated and 70% effaced. I feel like I should've made more progress than this by now - did anyone go from zero to baby relatively quickly? I still feel pretty good, which makes me think that labor is a ways off. They want to schedule an induction for late next week if I'm still pregnant, and I'd really prefer not to be induced. It's weird how you get sort of attached to a due date, even though it's just an estimate.

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.

Dr. Octagon posted:

Today is my due date! :toot: Too bad baby is still high, and I'm only a fingertip dilated and 70% effaced. I feel like I should've made more progress than this by now - did anyone go from zero to baby relatively quickly? I still feel pretty good, which makes me think that labor is a ways off. They want to schedule an induction for late next week if I'm still pregnant, and I'd really prefer not to be induced. It's weird how you get sort of attached to a due date, even though it's just an estimate.

Don't lose hope!

brambling lass fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 25, 2014

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
Mine was breech until around 33 weeks; I wouldn't worry yet! Check out spinningbabies.com for some good information on ways to help them turn.

And yeah, getting your innards pummeled is not necessarily the most wonderful feeling in the world. Don't feel guilty. I was in a lot of pain last night while my kid spazzed out for like 2 hours.

Re: cervical dilation before you go into labor - ignore it! It means nothing! You can totally go from zero to baby in a few hours, or you can walk around at 4cm for weeks. Many doctors and midwives don't even perform internal examinations, and there's definitely no way to predict labor based on dilation.

And if it's prior to 42 weeks of gestation and there's no medical reason to be induced, you can just refuse to schedule it. I'm unable to find numbers right now, but the vast majority of women will go into labor naturally by week 42.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Dr. Octagon posted:

Isn't it amazing what that number can do to you? You spend so long counting down to it, that when it comes and goes and nothing happens you feel kind of duped.

I was pretty bummed to miss my due date, and it was tricky because my mother-in-law came to town specifically to be there when my kid was born and she was on limited vacation time. Also, it was around Thanksgiving and I didn't want to be some kind of inconvenience to everyone and screw up the family dinner. In all, I was worried too much about everyone else and not really on my own well-being. It didn't really do me any harm or anything, but I went ahead with an induction a week after being overdue as my blood pressure was starting to get borderline. When I went in, my cervix was "high and hard" and after 24 hours never even got close to where it needed to be for vaginal delivery.

My kid was kind of big (9 1/2 pounds, 23 inches long) and it turns out the exact same thing happened to my mother when I was born (2 weeks past the due date, she was never really dilated, C-section birth, I was a big baby) so maybe it was just in my genes.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Doom Catcher posted:

Thanks. I was feeling a bit lovely because I expressed to a friend how unpleasant it felt and she kind of side eyed me and told me it was the most wonderful feeling in the world. And yea, it's definitely freaking amazing to feel and know that's my baby in there but it still doesn't feel nice lol.

I guess I am paranoid about the breech thing because the last three friends that had a kid all went breech and two ended up with a c-section and I'm hoping to avoid it. If it is needed, I won't be heartbroken, but you know.

I'm coming up on 26 weeks and its so freaking weird to feel her flip around. I will say that my little girl *seems* to be playing games with me which I find funny. I can finally identify what I'm pressing on if its a foot or a butt. She likes to press her foot out around my belly button and wait for me to poke at it. Then she kicks my fingers and repeats for upwards 10 minutes sometimes. Maybe its unintentional but she is so consistent on the placement of her feet when she does it I can't help but think she's doing it on purpose.

Also, she was breech at our 20 week ultrasound and when I went in last week they had to check her because I hadn't felt her and they couldn't tell if she had the hiccups or an arrhythmia and she was posterior (it was the hiccups and she slept in late apparently). She's flipped a couple more times since then and will continue to do so until the last few weeks so don't stress about it too much.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Dr. Octagon posted:

I felt nothing at all up until the day labor started ;) So it can happen pretty suddenly. I was out and about, went for a walk and hung out with friends, came home and started feeling crampy, took a nap and woke up to quite regular contractions at 4 pm. Baby was born that night.

Dr. Octagon
Aug 12, 2008

Ride or Die Bitch, Esq.
Thanks guys! It's really comforting to know that I could still get this show on the road in the next few days. I feel kinda silly for being bummed about potentially missing my due date, especially because everything is still normal and healthy. I'm just so ready to meet this kid and it's starting to feel like I will never give birth. Admittedly, I also thought 10/10/11 would be a cool birthday.

The Young Marge, my OB/GYN group wanted to start internal checks at 35 weeks, but I refused until this morning's appointment for that very reason. My sister-in-law walked around at 3 cm from 35 weeks onward thinking labor was imminent and didn't end up having her kid til the day before her due date... I think I would've lost my mind.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

The Young Marge posted:

Re: cervical dilation before you go into labor - ignore it! It means nothing! You can totally go from zero to baby in a few hours, or you can walk around at 4cm for weeks. Many doctors and midwives don't even perform internal examinations, and there's definitely no way to predict labor based on dilation.

Word. I have a cousin who's given birth to 4 children (3 vaginally, the last was a C-section because he was transverse and wouldn't move). She dilates verrrrrry slowwwwwwly over a period of days/weeks up until about 5cm, then her vagina gapes like a cavern and out shoots a baby in under an hour. (I know this because she calls me about once a week to "check on me", i.e., tell me all 4 birth stories for the umpteenth time :) )

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
My girlfriend claims that she took three pregnancy tests today, the first one being positive and the second two being negative, I think she said she took a few hours between the first and second, could she just cought the end of a chemical pregnancy? She is on BC, lamictal, lorazepam and abilify ( baby would be bad news right now), would any of those interfere? She's going to try to get an obgyn appointment tomorrow, but I figured maybe someone here had a similar experience. Her cycle has been a little off for the past few months, and was a day or two late a few times. She was sick all day yesterday and we both just figured we partied too hard since my birthday was Saturday. Guess she woke up paranoid today or something.

Sorry to ruin the good mood in here, just wasnt sure where else I should ask.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
False positives are kind of rare, and your morning pee has more of the pregnancy hormone in it, so a test taken earlier might make a difference. She should definitely call her OB to get a definite answer. How late is her period though?

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Twatty Seahag posted:

False positives are kind of rare, and your morning pee has more of the pregnancy hormone in it, so a test taken earlier might make a difference. She should definitely call her OB to get a definite answer. How late is her period though?

She's not due for it until the end of the month. I think she was just paranoid or something

The Wormy Guy
May 7, 2002

The Young Marge posted:

And if it's prior to 42 weeks of gestation and there's no medical reason to be induced, you can just refuse to schedule it. I'm unable to find numbers right now, but the vast majority of women will go into labor naturally by week 42.

My wife went into pre-term labor at week 27 and has been put on bed rest since (not strict bed rest, she just couldn't go to work, but more or less has been walking around fine).

We're at week 38 now and she says she's feeling the best she's ever felt. So we went from "oh god don't walk around the baby might fall out" to "hurry up and let's get this show on the road!"

The wait is killing us.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
I'm totally down with getting this show on the road, too! Finally hit 37 weeks, so it's just waiting time now. I felt a little silly packing my birthin' bag today, but figured it should probably be done.

Trying really hard to ignore the due date and just assume that I'll stay pregnant all the way up until 42 weeks. But I can't help overanalyzing twinges/pains in the abdominal vicinity and waiting for my water to break every time I stand up. :)

So, postpartum belly binders. Worth it? Waste of money? Good for looking somewhat normal in clothes again, at least?

zophos
Feb 12, 2002
Okay, weird question. Do pregnancy tests change over time? I took one a week ago that was definitely positive when I looked at it, but then I threw it in my purse. I just pulled it out, and now it shows a negative. The instructions say not to read results after 10 minutes, but the first pregnancy test I took for Evelyn 3 years ago still shows a positive (yeah, I know. gross souvenir.) so I didn't know if they varied by brand.

It doesn't help that after 3-4 days of soreness and queasiness, I woke up on Friday feeling perfectly fine - no more hit-in-the-tits-with-a-2x4 feeling, not ravenously hungry, not tired.

I feel like I just made the whole thing up. I haven't had a period though so I guess I will find out in a couple of weeks at my first appointment.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
I slept with a girl on September 18th. She just texted me and told me she is 3 weeks late.

I used a condom, and I didn't ejaculate inside her.

Unfortunately I have no other information from her at this time. What are the odds she's pregnant? Google did not provide great results.

auri
Jul 8, 2005
If she's 3 weeks late, she was due for her period when you had sex. Since most women ovulate a week or 2 before their period starts, she most likely got pregnant before you hooked up. If she is knocked up, I would bet money it isn't yours. Worst case scenario ask for a paternity test.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
The odds that she's pregnant to you are as near zero as makes no difference.

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere
Women can be late for many reasons. Pregnancy is just one possibility, and if you used a condom properly it is not extremely likely. Stress can make a woman late. Getting sick can make a woman late. Medication can make a woman late. Change in a normal routine can make a woman late.

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007

The Young Marge posted:

I'm totally down with getting this show on the road, too! Finally hit 37 weeks, so it's just waiting time now. I felt a little silly packing my birthin' bag today, but figured it should probably be done.

Trying really hard to ignore the due date and just assume that I'll stay pregnant all the way up until 42 weeks. But I can't help overanalyzing twinges/pains in the abdominal vicinity and waiting for my water to break every time I stand up. :)

So, postpartum belly binders. Worth it? Waste of money? Good for looking somewhat normal in clothes again, at least?

Worth it. Immediately post partum your stomach is the same size but instead of rock hard, its all saggy and jiggly. Your stomach kind of rolls around and makes you feel ill. Some kind of light binder stops the sick feeling.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Thanks for the responses guys. The timing of her message last night was hilarious as I had just returned from a Vegas trip that involved 3 hours of sleep over 72 hours and a red eye home across 4 time zones, so I was kind of still drunk because of how tired I was.

Consequently, the last few days are all a blur, but somehow I managed to find this thread and make a reasonably coherent post. I'm now fairly confident she's not pregnant at all (she hasn't been with anyone else except me for months; it's complicated). It must be something else. Or she's lying about who she has been with, but I really doubt it. Either way, I'm not too worried.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

The Young Marge posted:

Don't feel silly, pack it! I waited and went into labor a week early, there are "hilarious" pictures of me throwing poo poo into a duffel between contractions.

Kind of pricey but Glamourmom makes a nursing tank with stomach support in it, definitely nice. I also did not enjoy the sensation of being able to grab handfuls of my loose empty abdomen. I'm 9 months PP and still like to wear a light support cami under most stuff.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

The Young Marge posted:

The best advice I've gotten so far was from my boss. She said "Do not leave the hospital until you get a prescription support belt from them." They should be better (at least as good as) what you can get retail, and your insurance will probably cover it.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
I'm 28 weeks and healthy and last week my husband said, "Well, I guess it's time to pack your bag for your hospital stay." I laughed him out of that idea but yesterday he started talking about which bag(s) we should use and maybe we need to buy a new one. I think I'll pack a bag to humor him if he brings it up again, though I'll obviously need stuff out of it before I'm due.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.
A week ago I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes, I know it isn't the end of the world, but I am feeling pretty depressed about it. The fact that I basically can't eat fruit for the rest of the pregnancy (a banana has almost all the carbohydrates I am allowed to eat for a whole meal) and that even though I am working really hard at tracking and limiting my carb intake I still am having a hard time keeping my blood sugar in the recommended levels (150 after breakfast most mornings is much too high).

I have already met with the nurse educator and have an appointment with the dietician on Thursday; but am hoping for some advice or just "it gets better" from goonettes who have had to deal with this as well.

tl,dr: I am throwing myself a pity party because I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes.