Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Kaelan Zero posted:

EDIT:
You can melee him. If you dodge his attacks long enough, he will land on the bridge. 2-3 sets of twohanded swings on his head with the Drake Sword will usually kill him. If you use a shield with high magic resist, and stand at the fog door end of the bridge, you should be able to dodge enough of his attacks and take a small enough amount of damage from the rest to kill him off just using estus + heal.

Smelly posted:

if you wait long enough, it lands, and you can tear it apart then. I beat it and I have no magic at all.

Oh. Well, thanks! That'll make things a lot easier. Just a matter of dodging its attacks then. One of its attacks takes off almost half of my health even when I block it. I think I'll get the depths out of the way first anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

As I've been going through the game, here are some tips that I think are worth mentioning in the OP in some format for new to newish players..

1) Do not fight on stairs if you can avoid it. Blocking and the hit box seem very, very buggy on stairs.

2) Have a weapon that can attack in a straight line (rapier/estoc/spears) and one that attacks in a frontal arc (scimitar/battle ax). The Capra Demon was a joke with my +5 Battle Ax. Block first attack, swing once, dogs are dead. I destroyed him at SL 14.

3)The Armored Boar takes a ton of damage from the fires in the area. Be in human form at the Gargoyles to summon help. Have a slashing weapon against the Capra Demon. Shadow the Moonlight Butterfly, its 9 shot attack will miss you most of the time if you are mimicking its movements (keep your MAG DEF shield up still) and all of its other attacks can be dodged.

4) Focus your souls on some good starter gear. At SL 16, I've taken out the Capra Demon, Havel, the Moonlight Butterfly and cleared most of the Depths with very little issue. The Wolf Ring helps a ton at lower levels from what I can see as well, not getting staggered is fantastic.

5) Stay in the "pocket" on large enemies. Up and in their face is usually the safest place, you can usually circle faster than them and keep in the zone. I got really good at this practicing on the Stone Moss Golems in the Darkroot Garden.

6)Don't be an idiot like me and misread the Fire Keeper Soul. You need to take it to the lady right below Firelink Shrine to enhance your Estus Flask.

7) If you join the Hunters Covenant, you will get murdered by people farming you. There are definitely some people running around at high levels with great armor and lightening weapons purposefully drawing people into their world to kill them. Get the Fog Ring and then ditch the Covenant.

8) Spice up your cussing. Try and say nonsensical things that somehow come out as hate filled. It will help you relax, trust me.

9) Parry in PvP. Works all the time. Unless it looks like a Ringwraith wielding a lightening spear. Then cry.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Yeah I stacked a ton of strength hoping to use some bigass weapons but my +5 lightning Zweihander kicks all of their asses so basically I've got 22 wasted stat points. Maybe if I just keep pumping strength...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Man I CANNOT find the pyromancer in the undead burg/parish. The gate never staying open no matter how many times I pull the lever doesn't help matters.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Ovaltine Jenkins posted:

Yeah I stacked a ton of strength hoping to use some bigass weapons but my +5 lightning Zweihander kicks all of their asses so basically I've got 22 wasted stat points. Maybe if I just keep pumping strength...

With enough stat points, +15 weapons eventually start to overtake lightning weapons.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

Man I CANNOT find the pyromancer in the undead burg/parish. The gate never staying open no matter how many times I pull the lever doesn't help matters.
Why would he be there? Do you know something I don't?

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

Hy_C posted:

Thanks for help to find the bonfire in Sen's Fortress, I made it there in one piece. Now I'm infront of the boss door and there's a doorway on my right as well. When I went that way I get taken to a tower with one room with no doors or stairwell. Is there a way to go down from here?
No, but if you're in human form you'll see an NPC's summoning sign there to help with the boss. He didn't help me much but YMMV.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

Allright kids, its time for some science. I'm running an experiment on weapon effectiveness for the big beefy str weapons to see when they would start breaking even with a lightning or fire upgrade.

My actual experience with a physical weapon vs an elemental weapon with somewhat higher total damage values have been well in favor of the pure physical one. I assume this is because the elemental weapons get damage reduced by 2 different defense values.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
All your strength stacking isn't all in vain because strength apparently makes you swing your big weapons faster.

pixaal posted:

So people found Sif, the giant wolf with a sword hard? I was roaming around behind the 20k door and randomly found him. I just killed him my first attempt, I kept expecting him to get harder. Here is my strat

Keep your guard up and get under him if he is swinging while you are behind or under him get 2 shots in that put your guard back up. If you run out of Stamina drop your guard so it doesn't break and keep backing up.

I don't think I'm over leveled for him at SL35. I have 23 Endurance though so that might help a ton.

I do feel I took the fight extremely serious having heard the name a bunch, I also almost dropped my controller multiple times from all the seating. Intense fight and I think it might be one of my favorite fights so far.

Some gear advice if you are having trouble with Sif bring a shield that can block everything he dishes at you, I used an Eagle Shield +2, its not +5 because I'm too lazy to farm souls and already worry if I'm over leveled, despite hitting for poo poo against just about anything.

Sif was pretty hard for me at SL28 because I had 18 Endurance and a Black Knight Shield +1 meaning I couldn't fully block his double spin swing without guard breaking and taking most of my hp in damage.

If you can block all his damage then yes he is super easy.

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem

RBA Starblade posted:

The pyromancer is not the one in the Undead Burg, but he is close to there.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.
If anyone is SL30s then Queelag is a great spot for white phantoming.

I must have defeated her like 3 or 4 times, and tried to help at least 10 times, but some people charge in and get themselves killed in various ways.

On my attempt I summoned a golden phantom (some kind of covenant I suspect?) and she had the most amazing sword, it sent out a shockwave with every hit and she just obliterated Queelag before I even lifted a finger.

Also, who else is loving the Shadow Armor? I look and feel like Shinobi :ninja:.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Look'it everyone complaining about wasting points in strength, I'm getting close to using Havel's shield. :smug:

Fat roll all day e'rry day.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

With enough stat points, +15 weapons eventually start to overtake lightning weapons.

The thing is though, if this is anything like demons souls after about 50 in any stat, there start to be some *hefty* diminishing returns on what you get out of a stat per point. I don't think it will break even without an enchant until probably about 70 strength or so which is almost unheard of even in new game++

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why would he be there? Do you know something I don't?

I thought someone said one of the trainers was in there behind a locked door?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Hey so... what do I do with the pendant starting gift? And where do I find the Old Witch's Ring in-game?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought someone said one of the trainers was in there behind a locked door?
Oh no, the sorcerer guy is behind a locked door in the lower city. The pyromancer is in the depths.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

gently caress Blighttown... I understand you can cut it short by going in via the elevator underneath firelink but I can't find how to get to the boss from there, partly because I get poisoned/toxic and die.

The framerate only makes it worse, hopefully they improve that before my next playthrough.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh no, the sorcerer guy is behind a locked door in the lower city. The pyromancer is in the depths.

Oh. Well, I can't find him either. :saddowns:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Man, killing Capra Demon feels so good. The Black Knight Sword does a hell of a lot of damage, and now I can one hand it for happy times. Killing Moonlight Butterfly was pretty simple.

I tried Havel with full Elite Knight Armor and my Knight's Shield on. I walk in with my shield up and *WHACK*
"WHAT THE gently caress."
--YOU HAVE DIED--

I also tried to fight that Black Knight in Undead Parish but it seems like he's a lot tougher than the one in the Burg, who I killed before I killed Taurus Demon with just a little bit of Resin applied to my Scimitar.

Still, it feels good to know I'm making progress. Apparently I haven't found the Pyromancy guy in Lower Undead Burg so I should probably go do that. After that... it's either exploring Darkroot more or going to the Depths, I guess. I think I'll go for Darkroot. Depths seem a little worrying.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE

Filthy Monkey posted:

Looks like somebody figured out an extreme soul gathering glitch. I haven't tried it, but from the responses it sounds like it works.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-dark-souls/60592694

repostin' for new page. seems it may also work for humanity. damnnn

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Only this takes a tremendous amount of points and most enemies in the game are highly resistant to physical damage but weak to some/all forms of elemental damage. There is no boss or mini-boss in the game that is super weak to slashing but invulnerable to elementals.

Demon souls all over again.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Can you only explore one section of upper Blight Town from the back entrance in Drakeland?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Progress report, level 20: I have rang the undead church bell, I have explored enough of the slums to find a merchant and two shortcuts, I have access to the elevators of course, I've explored enough of the forest to know big stone guys are bad, and I have not yet figured out how to put anything other than +#'s on my gear.

About how much of the game would you say I've seen, as a percentage? Please say like 10%.

Also I'm disappointed with dual wielding caestuses other than having the most badass riposte animation I've seen so far.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Is there a bonfire anywhere near Sif, preferably near kawaii mushroom people? I'm packing 45,000 souls, one Estus Flask, and don't want to have to go all the way back to the hidden Darkroot Garden bonfire.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh God drat it I forgot about the door under the dragon. That's why.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

enojy posted:

Is there a bonfire anywhere near Sif, preferably near kawaii mushroom people? I'm packing 45,000 souls, one Estus Flask, and don't want to have to go all the way back to the hidden Darkroot Garden bonfire.

Get the crest of astoria and unlock the gate, it'll lead you right to the area with the NPCs near Sif

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent

signalnoise posted:

About how much of the game would you say I've seen, as a percentage? Please say like 10%.

If you haven't even touched the depths yet, you're more like 7%

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

The thing is though, if this is anything like demons souls after about 50 in any stat, there start to be some *hefty* diminishing returns on what you get out of a stat per point. I don't think it will break even without an enchant until probably about 70 strength or so which is almost unheard of even in new game++

Yes, stats still get dimnishing returns at 50.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

enojy posted:

Just join up with the Forest Covenant so you can sprint from the bonfire to Sif without worrying about anything. There are no enemies on the way aside from the few bandits before the bridge.

Havel's Ring and the fact that we get poo poo tons of Poise is good enough for me.
VVVVVVVV

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.
How are people playing this game with heavy armour?

I personally need that <25% for maximum mobility and stamina regen; my style of play is based upon being quick and nimble I suppose.

So for those heavy armour users - does it get frustrating moving slowly/draining stamina so quickly with every block/swipe? I want to try some cool armour but just can't see myself enjoying the lack of mobility.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bobnumerotres posted:

Get the crest of astoria and unlock the gate, it'll lead you right to the area with the NPCs near Sif

Oh I've done that, but I've worked my way all the way to Sif's gate and was hoping there's a bonfire closer than the one next to the door sealed by the crest.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

^^^^ Nope.

So I think it's safe to put ":siren:Unless you're dicking around don't put over 18 points into strength or dex because they become totally worthless mid-late game:siren:" in the OP.

Honestly I'm so disappointed. I must have something like 100,000+ souls in Dex that are totally worthless because of the utter superiority of elemental/unique weapons, I'll never get them back and now the game is asking me for 25k+ souls a pop per stat point.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 10, 2011

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

TLDR: unless you are totally shitstacking an attack stat and use resins or enchant spells, don't bother with normal upgrades and just do fire/lightning enchants.

I want the hundreds of thousands of souls I spent beefing up strength back. :smith:

Yeah, it seems like they kinda overcompensated a bit and made Normal enhancement a bit too weak and the elemental enhancements a bit too strong. I'm pretty sure at +15, the damage evens out a bit (Having an A scale rating at near 50 points of Strength roughly doubles the stats of the Demon's Greataxe. At +15, the Greataxe has 285 attack power and 570+ attack with your current stats) and things are a bit more balanced. But the point remains that you need to have near 50 Str/Dex in order for the normally upgraded weapons to be able to compete, and those are stats that most people probably won't see until NG+ or ++.

The Int/Faith weapons manage to work out somewhere between the Str/Dex weapons and the Fire/Lightning ones, so it seems like casters manage to make out like bandits and get the best of ALL worlds again. That is unless the rumors about Strength weapons increasing weapon speed and Dexterity increasing movement speed are at all true, but I have each at 25 and I haven't seen any noticeable difference. Are you attack speed at all improved, DeathSandwich?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh. Well, I can't find him either. :saddowns:
I asked because he disappeared from my game. He didn't die, or items and stuff would be left where he was sitting. I wondered if he was wandering around somewhere.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Man, anyone notice the resonances from miracles that are supposed to be in the game?

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Aries posted:

I personally need that <25% for maximum mobility and stamina regen; my style of play is based upon being quick and nimble I suppose.

So for those heavy armour users - does it get frustrating moving slowly/draining stamina so quickly with every block/swipe? I want to try some cool armour but just can't see myself enjoying the lack of mobility.

I use the ring that gives +25% max eqp burden and wear a decent amount of heavy armor while remaining under 50%. For a time when I was really heavy, it sucked, but honestly unless i'm going up against an enemy I know I NEED to dodge, I will just circle-strafe with a shield raised and just clomp around no problem.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Aries posted:

Havel's Ring, 25 Endurance, and a shield that strengthens my stamina regen. I have the almost fast roll with the gear I've got on!

Ok, I should clarify a bit. With that you get the medium roll.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

is there any reason someone would summon two dudes in anor londo then run into the boss area and use the black crystal to send them home?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I hear that there is a magic trainer in the lower burg. Where abouts is he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Man, some phantom named Ocelot I think almost ruled Ornstein single handedly for me. Until we both got one shot. If that was one of you, you ruled.

• Locked thread