Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Jetpack Postman posted:

Yeah, it seems like they kinda overcompensated a bit and made Normal enhancement a bit too weak and the elemental enhancements a bit too strong. I'm pretty sure at +15, the damage evens out a bit (Having an A scale rating at near 50 points of Strength roughly doubles the stats of the Demon's Greataxe. At +15, the Greataxe has 285 attack power and 570+ attack with your current stats) and things are a bit more balanced. But the point remains that you need to have near 50 Str/Dex in order for the normally upgraded weapons to be able to compete, and those are stats that most people probably won't see until NG+ or ++.

The Int/Faith weapons manage to work out somewhere between the Str/Dex weapons and the Fire/Lightning ones, so it seems like casters manage to make out like bandits and get the best of ALL worlds again. That is unless the rumors about Strength weapons increasing weapon speed and Dexterity increasing movement speed are at all true, but I have each at 25 and I haven't seen any noticeable difference. Are you attack speed at all improved, DeathSandwich?

Not at all, though as my strength has been going up my weapons have been getting bigger, I may need to switch back to a spear or longsword here for a stint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Fonzarelli posted:

I hear that there is a magic trainer in the lower burg. Where abouts is he?

Very early on in that area. Make sure you bought the key from the merchant in the upper burg near the bonfire (maybe the master key would open it too, I don't know). Just head down the stairs past 3 dogs near a pile of flaming corpses and check the doors. One of them will have the guy pleading for you to unlock the door and free him. He'll be in Firelink after that (there's a body in a jar there too with sorcerer clothes and a catalyst.)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Dark Wood Grain Ring that gives you the flip moves faster than the <25% roll and is available as long as you are <50% meaning in combination with Havel's Ring your heavy armour dude is rolling faster than a regular naked dude.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Krinkle posted:

is there any reason someone would summon two dudes in anor londo then run into the boss area and use the black crystal to send them home?

You get different items depending on who you kill first. He might have been worried you guys would target the wrong one.

\/\/\/ I know the exact room you're talking about and its a bitch.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 10, 2011

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm about ready to give up on this game. The entire thing is like 5-2 from Demon's Souls except you don't even get souls through attrition against the cheap enemies. For my last death I entered a room and was killed by five ghosts that came through the floor from all around me, with zero chance of escape or defence. I've been banging my head against a wall for zero gain for almost two hours now, but can't really proceed elsewhere due to this curse.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 10, 2011

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

How does one leave the area you get dropped of after getting kidnapped by the demons?

/edit Never Mind

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bobnumerotres posted:

^^^^ Nope.

So I think it's safe to put ":siren:Unless you're dicking around don't put over 18 points into strength or dex because they become totally worthless mid-late game:siren:" in the OP.

Honestly I'm so disappointed. I must have something like 100,000+ souls in Dex that are totally worthless because of the utter superiority of elemental/unique weapons, I'll never get them back and now the game is asking me for 25k+ souls a pop per stat point.

Yeah, no poo poo. I have 30 dex and 25 str and the weapons that I use only require mid teens from either to wield. I'd give all the souls it took to get those stats to delevel myself.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

Bobnumerotres posted:

So I think it's safe to put ":siren:Unless you're dicking around don't put over 18 points into strength or dex because they become totally worthless mid-late game:siren:" in the OP.

Can anybody else comment on this? Your STR and DEX don't factor in at all for elemental weapons and stuff? I just wanna know if I should bother investing any more into those two stats.

(Man, I think about this game more than I actually play it, I think...)

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Any tips on finding the Painting Guardian armor? The guide says it it in the Painted world, duh but it doesn't give details on how to find it.

That world, incidentally, is the best Dark Souls has offered so far. Tons of secrets, intriguing boss, and crazy easy to find phantoms or humans to summon phantoms. Net gain of about 10 humanity, 15 levels, 10 sun badgges and a lot of Souls fun.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Eej posted:

Dark Wood Grain Ring that gives you the flip moves faster than the <25% roll and is available as long as you are <50% meaning in combination with Havel's Ring your heavy armour dude is rolling faster than a regular naked dude.

...what?

quote:

I'm about ready to give up on this game. The entire thing is like 5-2 from Demon's Souls except you don't even get souls through attrition against the cheap enemies. For my last death I entered a room and was killed by five ghosts that came through the floor from all around me, with zero chance of escape or defence.
Dude why are you even there? That entire area is optional and a loving hellhole. Grab the firekeeper soul early on and get the gently caress out.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Trico posted:

Can anybody else comment on this? Your STR and DEX don't factor in at all for elemental weapons and stuff? I just wanna know if I should bother investing any more into those two stats.

(Man, I think about this game more than I actually play it, I think...)

Find out what weapons you prefer and what you want to wield and put in the minimum required to wield it. Also, endurance is the God stat.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Bobnumerotres posted:

Dude why are you even there? That entire area is optional and a loving hellhole. Grab the firekeeper soul early on and get the gently caress out.
Cursed, and probably dead if I go anywhere else in this state.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

So I'm right outside the mist door for the Gargoyles. Since I'm being a pussy, I want to summon a player or a NPC, but I can't figure out how... I have the white stone from the Sun Knight but I don't see any white signs on the floor. What gives?

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

Not at all, though as my strength has been going up my weapons have been getting bigger, I may need to switch back to a spear or longsword here for a stint.

The thing about crap like this is that it makes it impossible to notice a difference due to how slowly your strength goes up over time. My attacks with my lighter weapons (Fire Uchigatana and Lightning Winged Spear) are really drat fast, but I have no clue if they're just like that or my strength is modifying it somehow. I'm a bit tired of my current playthrough so I'm going to reroll as a Int-focused melee Pyromancer for the meantime and see if my melee experience changes at all. I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy myself a bit more this time around.

J
Jun 10, 2001

DeathSandwich posted:

stuff about strength scaling

Here's another data point - I've got a great club +15 with 40 strength, it does 337 + 237. It was fun for a first playthrough and was plenty viable for NG, (the forward+r2 jumping attack is your friend, for anyone using humongous weapons) but I'm not going to bother with NG+ on that character because trading hits becomes so much worse of an idea.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bobnumerotres posted:

...what?

Flip = faster than fast roll from being <25% encumbrance

Flip is available to you as long as you are <50% encumbrance

Therefore as long as you are under 50% encumbrance and you are using the Dark Wood Grain Ring you'll be rolling (flipping, really) faster than a plebe who is just using the <25% encumbrance roll.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

So I'm right outside the mist door for the Gargoyles. Since I'm being a pussy, I want to summon a player or a NPC, but I can't figure out how... I have the white stone from the Sun Knight but I don't see any white signs on the floor. What gives?

You need to Reverse Hollowing yourself at a bonfire. You can't summon unless you're Human. Zombies don't have the right to friends. :(

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

kater posted:

The first is in the Chapel. I just found it funny that the first thing you suggest is finding two of only half a dozen items in the entire game. I mean, if you can get one from Anor Londo easily, that's great... I personally have no idea where Anor Londo is and I beat Capra hours ago.

My apologies, I meant New Londo Ruins. It's right near the entrance and literally 2 minutes from Firelink Shrine. You have to fight like four ghosts to get it, but that's no problem because there's one of those "bodies in a barrel" right at the beginning of the area that drops two of the things that let you fight the ghosts.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Does anybody know of a respawning Black Knight?

I think I've killed all the ones that I know of and I don't have any of the weapons or the shields. This makes me sad because I put my stats into strength and dex specifically to meet the breakpoints for the Black Knight equipment.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Cursed, and probably dead if I go anywhere else in this state.

I don't even understand how you can get cursed in this game. I fell into that pit with the cursing eye frogs and all you have to do is not stand in the cloud they produce for three hours.

Grind souls, buy a purging stone.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Aries posted:

How are people playing this game with heavy armour?

I personally need that <25% for maximum mobility and stamina regen; my style of play is based upon being quick and nimble I suppose.

So for those heavy armour users - does it get frustrating moving slowly/draining stamina so quickly with every block/swipe? I want to try some cool armour but just can't see myself enjoying the lack of mobility.
I got some super heavy armor from behind the 20 000 soul door in the forest, and I couldn't be happier! I can only do a light-light-heavy combo at max stamina, but even that many hits are almost never actually useful because of how slow my Claymore is. I found it's best to just wait for an attack, block that poo poo and do a heavy attack to take a good chunk of their health - then you just back away a bit and let your stamina get back to full, and repeat.

Also regarding the claymore, the stab and leaping slash moves are fantastic with that weapon. They make it real easy to keep the enemies away, and I don't think I could have managed all those loving frogs without those moves. Dunno if the Drake sword would actually have been better if I'd realized to get it, but the Zweihander is just too slow for me to leave my awesome claymore behind :allears:

E: seriously though why does this thread move so god drat fast i mean drat

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

After an awful stint in Blight town I went back to firelink shrine to do a much needed flask upgrade and the fire keeper is...dead? I can't even light the bonfire now. I would really like to know what the gently caress happened. I am pretty much ready to snap the disc in half after tonight. This is loving bullshit.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
So what do I do in Anor Londo or whatever it's called? I've been running around her for 30 minutes and made zero progress. Opened every chest and every way leads to a dead end.

If I have to run across the map to go to somewhere else then gently caress this game. Early game was so well designed, why is this late game starting to become a stinker.

Bad Bromance
May 20, 2010

Sorry, guys, I actually do still suck dick! :blush: Also my mom only lets me spend five bucks a month to get my cool gaga avatars back so I guess I'm stuck with this one for a while. :(

Shumagorath posted:

I'm about ready to give up on this game. The entire thing is like 5-2 from Demon's Souls except you don't even get souls through attrition against the cheap enemies. For my last death I entered a room and was killed by five ghosts that came through the floor from all around me, with zero chance of escape or defence. I've been banging my head against a wall for zero gain for almost two hours now, but can't really proceed elsewhere due to this curse.

Lure them out and kill them one by one

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
edit: nvm

chunkles fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 10, 2011

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Aries posted:

How are people playing this game with heavy armour?

I personally need that <25% for maximum mobility and stamina regen; my style of play is based upon being quick and nimble I suppose.

So for those heavy armour users - does it get frustrating moving slowly/draining stamina so quickly with every block/swipe? I want to try some cool armour but just can't see myself enjoying the lack of mobility.

You don't drain stamina very quickly. If you pump endurance a bit and upgrade your shields for extra stability you'll be able to deflect hits without flinching. Just release the block button right after a hit to get your stamina back up. Having high poise and being able to just smash through most enemies without fear of interruption is fun too. Most weaker enemies I just charge and flatten them into the ground. If they get an attack off I lose maybe 1/10th of my HP which is nothing in this game.

Also, giant weapons have longer range so instead of dodging, with most enemies you can just backstep. For example, I've read a lot of people complaining about the clam enemies in the Crystal Cave. I just body pulled them one at a time, they approach, lean forward to ram, I step back 3 feet, then do a leaping attack, stagger them, follow with a strong attack (they can't get an attack off before it lands), and they're dead in ~3 seconds apiece. They were super easy and also own because they drop twinkling titanite and curse removal poo poo at pretty high rates.

I do wear encumberance rings to get <50% though, not because I dodge very often but because I like lower travel time and am too lazy to swap gear frequently.

Fellatio del Toro fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 10, 2011

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ahahaha ran into the Capra demon! First hit knocked all my stamina and half my health off. The second murdered me because you can't roll past it. I guess I should explore the rest of the lower berg later.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

skinny white boy posted:

So what do I do in Anor Londo or whatever it's called? I've been running around her for 30 minutes and made zero progress. Opened every chest and every way leads to a dead end.

If I have to run across the map to go to somewhere else then gently caress this game. Early game was so well designed, why is this late game starting to become a stinker.

I don't know how far in to Anor Londo you are but it requires you to do some roof walking. Also, heh. You think Anor Londo is late game. :smug:

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

After an awful stint in Blight town I went back to firelink shrine to do a much needed flask upgrade and the fire keeper is...dead? I can't even light the bonfire now. I would really like to know what the gently caress happened. I am pretty much ready to snap the disc in half after tonight. This is loving bullshit.

The gold knight Lautrec you freed in the church is basically Yurt from the first game. He killed your firekeeper. She's dead until you fight him with the stone he left behind. You'll get to do that at the end of Anor Londo.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Bobnumerotres posted:

I don't even understand how you can get cursed in this game. I fell into that pit with the cursing eye frogs and all you have to do is not stand in the cloud they produce for three hours.

Grind souls, buy a purging stone.
Does that merchant have a finite quantity of those? Can I get into New Londo from the back?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

Ah, it happened to me too. I believe the man in golden armor who usually sits across from her murdered her to steal her soul and ran off. He's like Yurt the Silent Chief from Demon Souls. Pretty sure you get a chance to fight him and reclaim her soul sometime later though.

But yeah for now you can't upgrade your flask. I believe there's someone in Queelag's lair who can do it for you, but I'm not sure.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

smuh posted:

I got some super heavy armor from behind the 20 000 soul door in the forest, and I couldn't be happier!

You mean Stone Armor?

I just got ahold of it, and the jump in defense is loving ridiculous as i was previously wearing Elite Knight armor.

Of course, I got a little overconfident and wanted to test out my defense, and the mook in the church with the rapier performed a parry and critical hit, lost drat near all my health.

I'm at the Catacombs now, and the jump in difficulty is huge for me. The Skeletons, and especially the black knight in the area leading up to the boss was pretty hard.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

skinny white boy posted:

Go back to the bridge where you fought the Gargoyle. Drop down beside the stairwell and climb the support beam to the other building.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

You know that creepy evil sounding guy in the gold armor who sat there staring at her for the last 5 hours? Yeah, he killed her.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Phoix posted:

The gold knight Lautrec you freed in the church is basically Yurt from the first game. He killed your firekeeper. She's dead until you fight him with the stone he left behind. You'll get to do that at the end of Anor Londo.

I didn't free him and that is beyond bullshit. This is the most unreasonable crap it kind of wants to make me want to quit.

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
gently caress ANOR LONDO! I keep getting harpooned by two black knights; I managed to grab a lightning spear. Still no help with the loving CONCRETE ARROWS!

NESguerilla posted:

Ok, Yeah, this is the bitch of the game, but you can bring her back. If you remember that guy in gold armor who would sit in front of her cell... yeah... If I know right/remember you have to head off to Anor Londo.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Only like 20% of my summon attempts ever seem to work. It's hard enough finding them in some areas, I'd at least like to be able to bring them in.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

NESguerilla posted:

You're boned unless you beat the Spider lady. Get ready to head to Anor Londo and avenge her!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Notinghamington posted:

gently caress ANOR LONDO! I keep getting harpooned by two black knights; I managed to grab a lightning spear. Still no help with the loving CONCRETE ARROWS!

Ok, Yeah, this is the bitch of the game, but you can bring her back. If you remember that guy in gold armor who would sit in front of her cell... yeah... If I know right/remember you have to head off to Anor Londo.

I decided not to free him because i read the early spoilers early in the thread, but he made it out on his own anyway and he's pissed at me. Can't i just kill him now to prevent her death? From what i understand you can get his armor if you follow through with it all, I got stone armor now, and i'm never getting rid of it. What else could he possibly offer me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

You mean Stone Armor?

I just got ahold of it, and the jump in defense is loving ridiculous as i was previously wearing Elite Knight armor.

Of course, I got a little overconfident and wanted to test out my defense, and the mook in the church with the rapier performed a parry and critical hit, lost drat near all my health.
Hell yeah I do :cool:
...I still can't wear the gloves though, will have to level a bit more to use the full set. It is a bit funny though how no matter what kind of poo poo you're using even the shittiest of enemies can slaughter you in seconds once you let your guard down. That's Dark Souls for you, I guess.

• Locked thread