Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kater
Nov 16, 2010

Ovaltine Jenkins posted:

You don't drain stamina very quickly. If you pump endurance a bit and upgrade your shields for extra stability you'll be able to deflect hits without flinching. Just release the block button right after a hit to get your stamina back up.

Learning that blocking has a rhythm to it just completely opens up the combat to this game. I love the 1v1 fights with big huge dudes with big huge swords that can utterly destroy you if you fudge the timing on stamina regain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Phoix posted:

Go back to the bridge where you fought the Gargoyle. Drop down beside the stairwell and climb the support beam to the other building.

Okay, that seemed like something I should do but at the same time it doesn't stand out enough for me to think I should do it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So how do you spare sif? From what I had heard you get his sword if you let him live.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Fargin Icehole posted:

I decided not to free him because i read the early spoilers early in the thread, but he made it out on his own anyway and he's pissed at me. Can't i just kill him now to prevent her death? From what i understand you can get his armor if you follow through with it all, I got stone armor now, and i'm never getting rid of it. What else could he possibly offer me?

He drops a pretty badass ring, although maybe he drops that when you kill him normally too, I'm not sure.

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem

Fargin Icehole posted:

I decided not to free him because i read the early spoilers early in the thread, but he made it out on his own anyway and he's pissed at me. Can't i just kill him now to prevent her death? From what i understand you can get his armor if you follow through with it all, I got stone armor now, and i'm never getting rid of it. What else could he possibly offer me?

If you wait to kill him in Anor Londo you get his armor if you kill him now I think it's just a ring, and a humanity.

DeathSandwich posted:

So how do you spare sif? From what I had heard you get his sword if you let him live.

You need to join the Forrest Hunters Covenant first if you want to get the option of letting him live.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
I want to kill Knight Lautrec on his own turf but I have a question: if I die, will I be able to get back there again or do I only get one shot at it?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
If I make a white sigil do I just...wait right there? Until someone uses it?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

smuh posted:

Hell yeah I do :cool:
...I still can't wear the gloves though, will have to level a bit more to use the full set. It is a bit funny though how no matter what kind of poo poo you're using even the shittiest of enemies can slaughter you in seconds once you let your guard down. That's Dark Souls for you, I guess.

I probably took more unshielded hits in the Catacombs alone than i did in my entire playthrough. That Stone armor is the reason i still made it out alive.

I couldn't wear the gauntlets either. Until i killed Havel. With that item, i can wield the gauntlets and the shield. Now i just need to grind literally from 44 to 56 to even use that drat shield.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

I want to kill Knight Lautrec on his own turf but I have a question: if I die, will I be able to get back there again or do I only get one shot at it?

You mean w/ the black eye orb? yeah, you can repeat it if you need, he makes fun of you for it too

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

You can repeat it as many times as you want. It also doesn't count as an actual death since you're invading as a phantom.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Regarding the NPC that you're all talking about: I decided to kill him preemptively. I figured, well, since I get one free shot, I'd better make it a heavy attack and take it with both hands.

I forgot I was using the Drake Sword.

As he was flying off the cliff, riding my shockwave into infinity, he informed me that he was sorry but I had left him no choice.

edit: I didn't get any loot though. :(

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Elysiume posted:

You can wander around although if you leave the area the sign will disappear (you will get a message to this effect)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Elysiume posted:

You can proceed through the area, but if you traverse through white light or approach a bonfire it disappears.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Drox posted:

Regarding the NPC that you're all talking about : I decided to kill him preemptively. I figured, well, since I get one free shot, I'd better make it a heavy attack and take it with both hands.

I forgot I was using the Drake Sword.

As he was flying off the cliff, riding my shockwave into infinity, he informed me that he was sorry but I had left him no choice.

That's roughly what I did by accident, but using the Black Knight Sword's 2h strong attack, which is kind of like a giant golf swing. If I had realized that was going to happen, I would have yelled Fore. But hey, I've been using the ring he dropped ever since (seriously, you can't take it off or it breaks), and I've got so many silly armor sets that I doubt his was anything special anyway.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh right, one more thing about your comparison, DeathSandwich. You compared the Demon Greataxe +10 to the Lightning version +5. Wouldn't it then show that you would do massive amounts more damage from Demon Greataxe +15 and jacking your strength up?

Also the whole str = increased attack speed thing is just a rumour. A rumour that a lot of higher level people are posting about so who knows? The only "solid" numbers I've seen on it are that if you double the strength requirement of a weapon it'll swing faster.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

You can proceed through the area, but if you traverse through white light or approach a bonfire it disappears.

Only some bonfires, and that is because they are behind white lights.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The feather-light ragdoll corpses keep cracking me up. The bush monster things from Darkroot Garden never seem to reach equilibrium and lie there perpetually twitching. I also just had a Hollow collapse onto me after I killed him, and the next time I attacked, I hurled him forward like a zombie bolas.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Guliani is HOT posted:

You can wander around although if you leave the area the sign will disappear (you will get a message to this effect)
I'm beginning to think nobody doing gargoyle is:
1. Around my level
2. Human
3. In need of help

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

The.GreyWolf posted:

You're boned unless you beat the Spider lady. Get ready to head to Anor Londo and avenge her!

Question about avenging her: I've got some black stone from her corpse that apparently can let me invade the killer's world, do I need to wait until a particular point to use it or can I just use it whenever? You mention Anor Londo, does that mean I need to wait until then?.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Thinking I ought to kill him now. Like I said, I dont think there's any armor better than Stone. I'm sure his gold armor is not as great, and i'd like to go into the depths now, because the Tomb of Giants puzzle is terrifying.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rollersnake posted:

The feather-light ragdoll corpses keep cracking me up. The bush monster things from Darkroot Garden never seem to reach equilibrium and lie there perpetually twitching. I also just had a Hollow collapse onto me after I killed him, and the next time I attacked, I hurled him forward like a zombie bolas.

This is the only other notable thing to happen to me so far. Near the Burg fire, there's that narrow bridge with firebomb zombies. One time I managed to get all of the enemies in that spot on the bridge and killed them in the same place. There were maybe eight corpses. They all stuck to me as I crossed the bridge, so I did a roll. All of the corpses sprayed off of me in a beautiful upward arc. What I wouldn't give to have a gif of that.

Bastard Priest
Jun 16, 2010

by Fistgrrl
so demon souls was harsh but fair, dark souls is harsh but somewhat unfair at times? what do you guys think?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

They should match up helpful phantoms if no one is summoning but just let each person think that one of the others is a human.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Will I get my large shards back if I downgrade a weapon?

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well, the good news is I got into the Sunlight Brotherhood or whatever it is. The bad news is that in an amazing lapse of sense in the forest I lost 9 humanity. :negative:

Time to be a good samaritan and help people with the wolf. Though I think I'm out of the more common level range now.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bastard Priest posted:

so demon souls was harsh but fair, dark souls is harsh but somewhat unfair at times? what do you guys think?

Dark Souls is just plain loving hard

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

smuh posted:

Hell yeah I do :cool:
...I still can't wear the gloves though, will have to level a bit more to use the full set. It is a bit funny though how no matter what kind of poo poo you're using even the shittiest of enemies can slaughter you in seconds once you let your guard down. That's Dark Souls for you, I guess.

So heavy armor is still pretty much worthless? It sounds like it.

If I'm gonna move about as fast as a brick I should be able to take some damage but ultimately it's just being able to take an extra hit or two when you should not be getting hit at all. And that's not even counting the fact that heavy armor murders your stamina regeneration, so your blocking is actually worse.

Good thing the gold resin armor in the demon ruins outclasses every other armor in the game and it's also the lightest or second lightest armor.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 10, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Ovaltine Jenkins posted:

They should match up helpful phantoms if no one is summoning but just let each person think that one of the others is a human.
I think I'm just going to give up on helping. I want to pass the help along, but nobody wants it, I guess. :(

AND HOLY poo poo I GET SUMMONED

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I'm sorry, I know this is old news, but what's the trick to the quick farm method for the guys behind the door in Darkroot? One by one, or isn't there a way to make them jump like lemmings?

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
I love how leather gloves are like the best gloves in the game.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
I know this has probably been answered, but it's not in the OP and I've read a shitload of pages in the thread and didn't see an answer. I just got the game and can unreliably make it across the Red Dragon bridge (sometimes he decides to come down early and other times late). At any rate, how the gently caress are you supposed to make it all the way to the next bonfire? It's so freaking far away and there's so many unkillable guys along the way. Did I not go in the ideal starting direction? I'm like level 14 or something.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

But Not Tonight posted:

I'm sorry, I know this is old news, but what's the trick to the quick farm method for the guys behind the door in Darkroot? One by one, or isn't there a way to make them jump like lemmings?

Get them to follow you by running a nice big loop around them and then just run to the far right corner next to the stairs. They'll hop off, bounce off your head and die.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Haha, oh wow. Finally get to where I'm supposed to be going and a guy invades me. Sure do love invisible guys I can't lock onto.

Putting down the game for awhile, this game is kind of a mess.

Futanari Rastafari
Apr 19, 2004

New Sincerity Posting

Aries posted:

How are people playing this game with heavy armour?

I am using Havel's full armor set with Havel's ring and the Stamina regen ring from The Hollow. Rolling isn't really needed because there isn't much I can not completely block. A really great advantage to the heavy armors is a high Poise rating which stops you constantly from being interrupted while drinking a flask or attacking. Other than that I have been using a Lightning Spear +5 with the Eagle Shield which means I can pretty much face tank anything.

The set up allowed me to one shot Sif with 2 flasks since I could literally just block anything he could do for the full amount and regen back up fast enough.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Dr. Glasscock posted:

I know this has probably been answered, but it's not in the OP and I've read a shitload of pages in the thread and didn't see an answer. I just got the game and can unreliably make it across the Red Dragon bridge (sometimes he decides to come down early and other times late). At any rate, how the gently caress are you supposed to make it all the way to the next bonfire? It's so freaking far away and there's so many unkillable guys along the way. Did I not go in the ideal starting direction? I'm like level 14 or something.

After you get under the dragon bridge, you should be able to go through a door and kick a ladder that makes a shortcut back to the previous Bonfire.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.
For those wanting to summon help, an important caveat - if you use your white stone, you cannot summon others (at least that's my understanding as it would cause a bit of a conflict if people summoned one another simultaneously).

So if you want to summon help, don't use your white stone.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Killbot posted:

I love how leather gloves are like the best gloves in the game.

I just realized today why they have better stats than knight gauntlets. No Poise.

Also quick question. How exactly do you access the Blacksmith that's being blocked by a wall in the Catacombs? And which Blacksmith lets you upgrade lightning? Seems the best weapons are Lightning, and i'm tired of the drake sword.

Bastard Priest
Jun 16, 2010

by Fistgrrl
im a little disappointed with the stats on the dark armor set/sword. definitely not worth 30 humanity to the darkwraith. the skull helm looks cool though

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem

Fargin Icehole posted:

I just realized today why they have better stats than knight gauntlets. No Poise.

Also quick question. How exactly do you access the Blacksmith that's being blocked by a wall in the Catacombs? And which Blacksmith lets you upgrade lightning? Seems the best weapons are Lightning, and i'm tired of the drake sword.

You can't free him, you can only talk to him. He'll do all the upgrading through the window...some how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Notinghamington posted:

You can't free him, you can only talk to him. He'll do all the upgrading through the window...some how.

Well, i guess i can go check now without worrying about some giant loving black knight with a great axe killing me in almost one hit.

• Locked thread