Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slacker Ace posted:

Thanks. I wrongly assumed the swamp would do Toxic damage (like everything else in here), but poison is easily dealt with.

Yeah it's merciful in that the swamp is just plain poison. You can run through the swamp collecting all the stuff pretty easily and just let it poison you - the damage is low enough that you can just eat it up and pop a flask if you get low. When you're done you can just run back to the bonfire to get them all back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phonics
Apr 6, 2009

by XyloJW
Is it possible to buy more red cracked orbs without joining some bullshit endgame covenant?

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

This frickin' game. It sort of haven't really "clicked" with me yet - I'm past the Dragon, and have gotten to churchish place with the Tower Knight who just pounds my slow rear end every time I try him. I'm a Knight, so the armor is making me really slow .. I like the game but I feel like I am in a rut. I am playing offline, would it be better to go online? Would I get more of the flasks then?

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Stumpus Maximus posted:

Quick question about the forest covenant. I keep hitting the "no" option when people ask me poo poo because I don't want to leave my current covenant. However, when I said no to the cat, it won't talk to me anymore. Did I lose out on the Forest Covenant for good or does this reset at some point?

You're most likely SOL, but for future reference you don't even have to make a choice. Just walk away and the dialogue box will close without picking either option.

Amdis
Jan 9, 2007

I'm a total newbie to this game, when looking at the stats for a weapon it'll say "Physical 95 +16." What is that +16?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Baibai Kuaikuai posted:

This frickin' game. It sort of haven't really "clicked" with me yet - I'm past the Dragon, and have gotten to churchish place with the Tower Knight who just pounds my slow rear end every time I try him. I'm a Knight, so the armor is making me really slow .. I like the game but I feel like I am in a rut. I am playing offline, would it be better to go online? Would I get more of the flasks then?

Take the elevator to the left of that tower knight back down to Firelink Shrine and use the bonfire there to get 10 Flasks, and it's a short hike back to the guy with no enemies if you die. Don't be too afraid to take off a little armor. If he's going to one shot you anyways, you might as well try to avoid it!

Took down O+S, thank you guys so much for reminding me that I can summon an NPC. Gwenevere made it worth it :pervert:

Amdis posted:

I'm a total newbie to this game, when looking at the stats for a weapon it'll say "Physical 95 +16." What is that +16?

In the weapon description, you see icons with letters next to them. Those letters determine how much of a bonus that weapon will get from that stat, the order is STR, DEX, INT and Faith I think. That number to the side is how much of a bonus (or stat loss if you don't fit requirements!) that you have currently with that weapon and your stats.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What's better overall: Fire or Lightning. I'm trying to figure out how to trick out my Zweihander.

Also, how do you get down to the catacombs blacksmith. I can hear hammering from the other side of a wall, but no way through it.

Phonics
Apr 6, 2009

by XyloJW

Hell Diver posted:

What's better overall: Fire or Lightning. I'm trying to figure out how to trick out my Zweihander.

Also, how do you get down to the catacombs blacksmith. I can hear hammering from the other side of a wall, but no way through it.

Lightning. Most of the armor in game has higher fire res than lit res. For PvE probably fire since theres plenty of lit resistant enemies.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Is there any point to finishing out the New Londo ruins? I already got the fire keepers soul but my fire keeper is dead so I don't have a nearby bonfire to run back from after vicious ghost killings from the wall.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Man gently caress Anor Londo. I dunno if I hosed up my character or what but I just can't get past the spear throwers.

I joined the forest covenant and invaded a guy already being invaded, as soon as I join in I'm awarded with 300,000 souls because the other guy killed him. Well I buy a bunch of arrows and shards, some curse books, and some transient curses then use the rest to kinda powerlevel to SL50. I used the new levels to get past Sens, but I think my gear is poo poo.

Invading people now is filled with ridiculous spells and VERY fast lightning weapons that tear me apart, much like anor londo. So it seems like people at this level have shitload better gear. I'm still using barely upgraded elite knight armor.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 10, 2011

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Welp got through Blight Town and Queelag in one try but my hands are shaking after that. I never want to go there again :(

E:although it seems it may be preferable to something later on...
VVVVVVV

smuh fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Oct 10, 2011

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Tomb of the Giants. :suicide:

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Hell Diver posted:

Tomb of the Giants. :suicide:

If you've discovered the hidden spell merchant in the Darkroot Basin and have 14 in intelligence you can buy and use a spell that makes navigating much easier. Also, if you actually get deep enough there's a bonfire very near the first human you see. DONT take to him until you find and use it. When you do talk to him, say no the first time he talks to you, do what he tells you to do, and say yes the second time. Hope this helps.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
What stat should I get after endurance? I have 25 str (which I'm not increasing), 25 endurance (working my way to 40), 20 vit, 12 dex, and untouched magic/faith/att/etc. Would it be worthwhile to work my way into a faith build after 40 endurance? And if so, should I try and get my stats into Astoria's Greatsword level? The only thing I know about faith builds are the miracles (yay lightning).

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Astora's sword is supposedly bugged to not do it's faith based damage. That's just offhand, I don't use the thing myself. A full faith build probably isn't necessary, but putting just 12 point in it gives you heal, which is super useful.

Anyway, if you really wanna go through it, just make your own faith or occult weapon with Andrei.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Astora's sword is supposedly bugged to not do it's faith based damage. That's just offhand, I don't use the thing myself. A full faith build probably isn't necessary, but putting just 12 point in it gives you heal, which is super useful.

Anyway, if you really wanna go through it, just make your own faith or occult weapon with Andrei.

Thanks. I have no idea what stats are even useful if I wouldn't go with faith, since I'm not going to stack strength with elemental being so strong.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh, so apparently some classes start off with Covenants already in place. Knight and Cleric, so it seems.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Nigulus Rex posted:

Thanks. I have no idea what stats are even useful if I wouldn't go with faith, since I'm not going to stack strength with elemental being so strong.

Stacking stats for boss based weapons is still probably useful if you plan ahead for them. For example, I'm pretty sure a certain dagger you get from a boss has a huge dex requirement while having A rank scaling, making pumping dex a pretty good idea. But if you're just making common elemental weapons like fire/chaos/lightning yea, just the stats necessary to equip the thing are more than enough. Unless it's faith/occult/magic/enchanted, which changes the existing modifiers and adds new ones. Then it's probably okay to just have the minimum to wield while pumping up faith/intelligence.

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 10, 2011

Seizureman
Dec 27, 2009

FABULOUS
Asked a few pages back to no response: Can I buy arrows somewhere early in the game if I killed the undead merchant, and do Black Knights respawn?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Stumpus Maximus posted:

Quick question about the forest covenant. I keep hitting the "no" option when people ask me poo poo because I don't want to leave my current covenant. However, when I said no to the cat, it won't talk to me anymore. Did I lose out on the Forest Covenant for good or does this reset at some point?

I asked the same question earlier. Apparently you can smack her in the face then absolve with that dude in the belltower past the Gargoyles, which will reset her. Do some farming first because it also apparently costs 70K souls!

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

So I joined the Forest Covenant. How do I now go and kill some ninja for a ring that makes you flip about? All I have heard about this was earlier in this thread so I have no idea what to do.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Just got invaded and the guy backstabbed me from the front, while he was gesturing :stare:

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

MadJackMcJack posted:

I asked the same question earlier. Apparently you can smack her in the face then absolve with that dude in the belltower past the Gargoyles, which will reset her. Do some farming first because it also apparently costs 70K souls!

Does this work if you join the forest hunters then kill that ninja for the flip ring? Also, I take it you can't join the gravelords if you've killed Nito?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Seizureman posted:

Asked a few pages back to no response: Can I buy arrows somewhere early in the game if I killed the undead merchant, and do Black Knights respawn?

The undead woman behind the grate (she becomes easily accessible after clearing the lower burg) sells fire and poison arrows, but not standard or large. These are your best bet until later on.

Also, no. Black knights don't respawn.

Edit: The fire and poison arrows are quite expensive at 100 souls a pop, though, so you're poo poo-outta-luck if you want something affordable!

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
As a guy in the Gravelord covenant, I feel I should warn you. Of all the times I've used the Eyes Of Death to curse other peoples games, I've never successful killed someone in their own and have only had one person counter invade, which I managed to win. I don't know if that means cursing is bugged or what but that's besides the point. So if you wanna join, do it now before you kill Nito. Then, after you get your first prize, go farm Eyes of Death from the frogs in the Depths until you get ten of them. This will probably take an hour or so with the Covetous Serpent ring. Go back to Nito and sacrifice 10 eyes in order to get the upgraded version of the spell he gives, because it's really awesome for PVP, being a faith based version of Firestorm that can be casted twice. Then go join another covenant, because he doesn't give you anything else, and the cursing mechanic just isn't interesting right now.

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 10, 2011

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Where the gently caress is the second Fire Keeper soul? I want my +2 flasks.

Anyone make the Butterfly spear? I'm currently trying to decide between that, the Dragon Hunter spear, or a straight lightning spear... anyone have an opinion?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Fuzz posted:

There's three firekeeper's souls relatively available from the start of the game, one very obviously in the Undead Parish, one early on in New Londo Ruins, and one in a heavily guarded and extremely dangerous area of Blighttown.

You can literally get the New Londo one when you start a character. I did that, and had an Estus Flask+1 before starting the Undead Burg. It was extremely useful, let me tell you.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Blight town. All the way down, go up a wooden elevator thingy and keep going up ladders until a big room with 3 toxic blowdart assholes and you'll find it after climbing a ladder down (watch out for the dogs).

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I'm assuming you found the one in the undead parish?

Anyway the other two I know about:

In New Londo, look over the water as you're approaching the ruins where the first ghost spawns. You'll probably see a corpse with a huge white flame. To get to him you have to cross a narrow ledge semi-submerged in water. Watch out, as you'll be ambushed by three ghosts along the way.

The other is in blighttown, close to the waterwheel and the entrance to the Valley of Drakes. Look for a giant sewer drain filled with firedogs/blowdart guys. The firekeeper soul is in the lower level of the drain.

Seizureman
Dec 27, 2009

FABULOUS

KezzKezzan posted:

The undead woman behind the grate (she becomes easily accessible after clearing the lower burg) sells fire and poison arrows, but not standard or large. These are your best bet until later on.

Also, no. Black knights don't respawn.

Edit: The fire and poison arrows are quite expensive at 100 souls a pop, though, so you're poo poo-outta-luck if you want something affordable!

I only need enough arrow to get the drake sword, so that will do fine. Black Knights not respawning is some bullshit. I want my loot, damnit :colbert:.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut
Goddammit. Finally got around to going into the Depths, and as soon as I set foot into there the framerate dips down to like 5fps. Nearly impossible to fight those cleaver guys (or the dogs) safely at that framerate.

Then a few minutes in, a black phantom invades. gently caress that.

I have access to the Valley of the Drakes (since I have a Master Key); is it feasible to take the blighttown back entrance and continue from there to skip past most of the framerate problems? Or do I just need to suffer through it?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Seizureman posted:

I only need enough arrow to get the drake sword, so that will do fine. Black Knights not respawning is some bullshit. I want my loot, damnit :colbert:.

Endgame spoilers unless you don't care! They're normal enemies in the final area and do respawn. You'll have your chance to get all the Black Knight weapons there, and the armor is in a chest in the area.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kaelan Zero posted:

I have access to the Valley of the Drakes (since I have a Master Key); is it feasible to take the blighttown back entrance and continue from there to skip past most of the framerate problems? Or do I just need to suffer through it?
You absolutely can, but the area after the depths is even worse for your framerate :(

Amdis
Jan 9, 2007

Welp, left my xbox running at the undead merchant in the burg and my roommate walked in and hit him causing him to go hostile. Where else can I go to get a bow and arrows for the drake sword? :(

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Huh, a dead dragon and some treasure! NOTHING CAN SURELY GO WRONG
:downsgun: gently caress you dark souls

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anyone have any advice for Nito. I'm standing outside his fog gate and I really don't want to go in without at least some knowledge. It's a pain in the rear end slog to get back here.

e: . . . Sealed by the Great Lord's power? What. the. gently caress.

Hell Diver fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 10, 2011

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

charismaslover posted:

Just got invaded and the guy backstabbed me from the front, while he was gesturing :stare:

I had something similar happen the other day, where I was backstabbed immediately after I just backstabbed HIM, and he was on the floor getting up in front of me.

I don't know if it's a lag thing or some kind of cheat or what. It was annoying to say the least (it was a one-shot kill).

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Oh what the eff Dark Souls. (literally end game spoilers)You don't get the Black Knight set until the last area of the game? That's messed up. Messed up.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

WHAT (demon's lair spoilers) started fighting Ceaseless Discharge, he nearly oneshotted me so I ran bag to the fog gate to try and escape somehow. Nope, not escaping, so he tries to hit me, misses, I hit him twice and he falls down and dies :aaaaa: gently caress yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Despised this game after the first 2 hours and considered trading it in for the new Batman game in a few weeks. Changed my mind drastically after a few hours learning the mechanics. It is really satisfying when you overcome an enemy or monster that was giving you grief before. Then you meet a bigger badder one who makes you feel the same way. Rinse, repeat.

Have to say though, the game is pretty horrible at describing the mechanics and the items and things like random ghosts running through your world. Feels very much like Otogi (another FROM SOFTWARE) game in that regard. Actually reminds me quite a bit of Otogi now I mention it. Combat being very reliant on positioning and physicallity, lot of numbers going on in the background, abstract names for items with unclear descriptions.

Also got a few laughs from my mates demonstrating how poorly a heavily armoured knight is at rolling on the ground which is always a bonus.

• Locked thread