Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

ArfJason posted:

So uhhh, who are these yogcast people? I see them mentioned a lot and pretty much what I know about them is that they do Let's Plays of minecraft? Any goon willing to shed more light on the subject?

Definitely watch the early videos. Part 10 is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I've been using the Rage drivers fine, try turning off triple buffering.

Holy poo poo what happened to the Catalyst Control Center? Jesus christ, the new interface they have is terrible, I can't find anything.

What the hell happened to you, AMD?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Holy poo poo what happened to the Catalyst Control Center? Jesus christ, the new interface they have is terrible, I can't find anything.

What the hell happened to you, AMD?

Gaming > 3D Performance. I can't remember the exact wording since I'm on my netbook, but everything for DirectX/OGL is under a single tab. It's easy once you stop trying to find the old names.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Gaming > 3D Performance. I can't remember the exact wording since I'm on my netbook, but everything for DirectX/OGL is under a single tab. It's easy once you stop trying to find the old names.

There's no gaming tab :psyduck:

edit: I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and it's back. Turning off Triple Buffering did not work.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 10, 2011

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.

babies havin rabies posted:

Is that the "Hi honey, I'm home!" bit where Honeydew sets the Yogcave on fire?

That's pretty much the video that made me buy Minecraft. First Minecraft video I ever watched, too. I'm pretty sure Notch should give those two a chunk of the profits since they're likely responsible for getting a huge portion of players into the game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Sapphaholic posted:

Is that the "Hi honey, I'm home!" bit where Honeydew sets the Yogcave on fire?

That's pretty much the video that made me buy Minecraft. First Minecraft video I ever watched, too. I'm pretty sure Notch should give those two a chunk of the profits since they're likely responsible for getting a huge portion of players into the game.

God that poo poo was hilarious. That's one of those things that only Simon manages to do. Like one of the recent videos where he builds a bridge of TNT (probably thinking he's safe since you can't just accidently hit TNT to set it off anymore), and of a course a creeper appears out of nowhere and sets off the entire bridge of TNT both him AND Lewis are on. Or the pirate episode where he sets the boat on fire (I think based on the suggestion of the other "NPCs", and starts laughing maniacally. And then in the middle of the burning one of the NPCs says something about the map that they need being on that ship, and he's like "HAHAHAHA-wait what"

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.
Holy poo poo I just found a a conjoined dungeon. Two dungeons, one with a zombie generator one with a spider generator joined at the corners into one large room. How rare is that?

:( Tragically while I was trying to fight my way into the rooms a creeper sauntered into the fray from the adjoining caverns and blew up the spider generator. Helped to thin the herd but I would have liked a string machine.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Streaming some GOON GAMES!

http://www.own3d.tv/blastron

e: gently caress, wrong thread.

blastron fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 10, 2011

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

King Plum the Nth posted:

Holy poo poo I just found a a conjoined dungeon. Two dungeons, one with a zombie generator one with a spider generator joined at the corners into one large room. How rare is that?

:( Tragically while I was trying to fight my way into the rooms a creeper sauntered into the fray from the adjoining caverns and blew up the spider generator. Helped to thin the herd but I would have liked a string machine.

Just wait until you hit an abandoned mine. You will have string. So much God drat string.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Macaluso posted:

God that poo poo was hilarious. That's one of those things that only Simon manages to do. Like one of the recent videos where he builds a bridge of TNT (probably thinking he's safe since you can't just accidently hit TNT to set it off anymore), and of a course a creeper appears out of nowhere and sets off the entire bridge of TNT both him AND Lewis are on. Or the pirate episode where he sets the boat on fire (I think based on the suggestion of the other "NPCs", and starts laughing maniacally. And then in the middle of the burning one of the NPCs says something about the map that they need being on that ship, and he's like "HAHAHAHA-wait what"

Didn't he have two accidents with structural TNT? Once with the bridge and the creeper in a 1.8/1.9 preview video and once in an adventure map where he built a staircase too close to lava?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There's no gaming tab :psyduck:

edit: I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and it's back. Turning off Triple Buffering did not work.

update: Rolling back to 11.8 did the trick. Both 11.9 and 11.10 preview drivers crashed on me when starting Minecraft. No idea why.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

blastron posted:

EDIT: this was too mean of me, I'm sorry.

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 12, 2013

John Liver
May 4, 2009

blastron posted:

You are in the wrong place.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

Didn't he have two accidents with structural TNT? Once with the bridge and the creeper in a 1.8/1.9 preview video and once in an adventure map where he built a staircase too close to lava?
Yeah, the first time he builds a bridge of TNT over lava, with the knowledge that it's harder to set off... forgetting that fire sets it off and when the lava caught it it exploded.

The one over a ravine was great because he knew it could be set off by lava, noted that there was no lava around, so figured he was safe, with a nervous laugh as he remembered last time.

Then a creeper with supernatural comedic timing popped its head around the corner.

The great thing about the Yogscast is, at first it seems like Simon's a bumbling idiot and Lewis is a relatively dim straight man, and they make for a great comedic pair... but as time goes on you eventually realize that Simon isn't dumb at all and he's really just constantly acting silly to mess with Lewis (and the audience). I think Lewis is in fact as charmingly dim as he appears, though.

Anyway, that was pretty fantastic with the minecart jump last video. I don't think pistons actually work that way though... do they? I mean, that has to have been a server mod.

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.

Eiba posted:

Anyway, that was pretty fantastic with the minecart jump last video. I don't think pistons actually work that way though... do they? I mean, that has to have been a server mod.

I WISH pistons worked like that, it was totally awesome. :D But yeah, that's probably a server mod.

The more I watch the Shadows of Israphel stuff the more jealous I get that they have so many awesome people building so many awesome things *just for them*. The scale of the builds is INSANE.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

mynameisbatman posted:

This is loving terrible and completely unrelated to minecraft and you should be ashamed for linking it. What the poo poo, some game that looks like DOTA? Seriously?

Wow.

You could have just said 'wrong thread.'

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Eiba posted:

I think Lewis is in fact as charmingly dim as he appears, though.

Xephos, could you confirm or deny this for us? Thank you.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Whoops! Sorry, wrong thread! I have two threads open at any given time, this and the League thread.

So how about them dragons?

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Times posted:

Wow.

You could have just said 'wrong thread.'

I forgive him. So how about instead of derailing this we talk about obsidian and endermen instead?

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

President Ark posted:

Yeah, they're goons. "YOGS" stands for "Ye Olde Goon Squad", an EU SA WoW guild.

Goone Squade.

Man, I remember the days when Honeydew was just a goofy paladin who I hung out at the Scryer bank with and emoted at (couldn't actually talk; I was Horde).

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I posted earlier about getting 2-3 second freezes every 2 seconds. Someone suggested getting optifine, and it makes minecraft run much worse, less than 20 fps. I turned down/off all the options, and I still get the "lag spike of death" anyway. Minecraft normally runs at 60 fps. 1.8.1 introduced the lag spike, and I can't seem to get rid of it with optifine or any other method. Is there something else I might be able to try to get the game actually running well?

edit: I deleted the meta-inf folder, so that isn't it.

Node fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 10, 2011

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Next part of my tutorial/fumbling exploration of redstone is up: XOR gates and clocks even though I can't get clocks to work half the time, somehow.

What's the deal with repeaters, anyway? I can't seem to get them to take power half the time and when they do the clock setups I've seen using them just entirely fail to function.

And if anyone has requests for demos I'll try to get them up eventually, even if it takes me a while to learn the necessary components of something. :downs:

e: Nevermind, I just realized that my "weird issues with repeaters" were actually a failure to realize they had a directional arrow on them for a reason...

Clockwork Cupcake fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 10, 2011

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Sapphaholic posted:

I WISH pistons worked like that, it was totally awesome. :D But yeah, that's probably a server mod.

Just have the piston repeat its cycle, and have another glowstone block enter the contracted state. As to how to feed in the blocks? You can probably use a strategically hidden column of sand to apply the "pressure" to help extrude a length of glowstone.

vvv That was so weird it basically routed straight through my brain :I

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 10, 2011

bout it flautist
Dec 25, 2005

Sometimes it's lonely being the only sock.

Phobophilia posted:

Just have the piston repeat its cycle, and have another glowstone block enter the contracted state. As to how to feed in the blocks? You can probably use a strategically hidden column of sand to apply the "pressure" to help extrude a length of glowstone.

I'm pretty sure you are referring to the appearing glowstone, and I'm pretty sure we are referring to the piston launching the speeding minecarts over a lava pit of doom.

Reverend Jones
Jan 1, 2007
The Sauce is Boss

babies havin rabies posted:

Adding to the watch yogscast videos train during the SOI outtakes video there's one part where the hippy dude is riding a pig in a fountain. I was almost in tears from laughing.

bout it flautist
Dec 25, 2005

Sometimes it's lonely being the only sock.

Manga Bandit posted:

Adding to the watch yogscast videos train during the SOI outtakes video there's one part where the hippy dude is riding a pig in a fountain. I was almost in tears from laughing.

Swampy -- away!:2bong:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've got some space to add on sort of "modules" to my house at the sides, what kinds of structures would it help a lot for me to have and look good? Also, do villagers get mad if you destroy their houses?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Node posted:

I posted earlier about getting 2-3 second freezes every 2 seconds. Someone suggested getting optifine, and it makes minecraft run much worse, less than 20 fps. I turned down/off all the options, and I still get the "lag spike of death" anyway. Minecraft normally runs at 60 fps. 1.8.1 introduced the lag spike, and I can't seem to get rid of it with optifine or any other method. Is there something else I might be able to try to get the game actually running well?

edit: I deleted the meta-inf folder, so that isn't it.

I was getting the same in the older versions, but from 1.9pre onward they seem to be fixed. Are you running the new versions?

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
Got sick of the default textures in 1.9pre3, so I made images with just stuff added since 1.8.1 as a temporary solution. Thought other people might get some use from them.
terrain.png

gui/items.png

gui/inventory.png

Just add these as a new layer in the images in your existing 1.8.1 pack using photoshop, GIMP, or whatever. I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the modding thread, I figured most people using the pre-release would be here.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

The latest yogscast video (shadow of israphel part 33 ) is yet another perfect example of how I actually want the game to be more like - lots more tools available for players to basically make dungeons and dragons type modules, and maybe even official adventure packs for 'dungeon master' type guys to run for people.

The more tools notch and friends can put in the official game that let players create adventures, dungeons, and quests and such, the better.

Kudos to the guys who designed that adventure by the way - that looked very fun. I'd love to play that sort of thing myself.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 10, 2011

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

Next part of my tutorial/fumbling exploration of redstone is up: XOR gates and clocks even though I can't get clocks to work half the time, somehow.

What's the deal with repeaters, anyway? I can't seem to get them to take power half the time and when they do the clock setups I've seen using them just entirely fail to function.

And if anyone has requests for demos I'll try to get them up eventually, even if it takes me a while to learn the necessary components of something. :downs:

e: Nevermind, I just realized that my "weird issues with repeaters" were actually a failure to realize they had a directional arrow on them for a reason...
You can also do pulsers by putting torches on the sides of a block, a block on every torch and a bit of redstone in the middle. You can make very compact and annoying noisemakers this way if you use note blocks.

Pollyanna posted:

I've got some space to add on sort of "modules" to my house at the sides, what kinds of structures would it help a lot for me to have and look good?
It's hard to say without knowing what it looks like and what you already have. I mean, most of the functional stuff in minecraft is pretty small and easy to fit into a small house. You could build a semi-automatic farm in a greenhouse, I guess, or a watchtower, cobblestone generator, proper bedroom, some kind of mob-spawning room (a proper mob farm would be much bigger than it sounds like you've got room for though) or one of those battery farms that people were showing a few pages back.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Times posted:

The latest yogscast video (shadow of israphel part 33 ) is yet another perfect example of how I actually want the game to be more like - lots more tools available for players to basically make dungeons and dragons type modules, and maybe even official adventure packs for 'dungeon master' type guys to run for people.

The more tools notch and friends can put in the official game that let players create adventures, dungeons, and quests and such, the better.

Kudos to the guys who designed that adventure by the way - that looked very fun. I'd love to play that sort of thing myself.

If you could craft creature spawners that are triggered by redstone it would be glorious.
code:
#O#
ODO
#O#
#= Obsidian
#= Iron bars
D= Dispenser.

Place it then right click to fill it up like a regular dispenser. Except in this case you put bones in and skeletons pop out. String for spiders, gunpowder for creepers and rotting flesh for zombies.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Verizian posted:

If you could craft creature spawners that are triggered by redstone it would be glorious.
code:
#O#
ODO
#O#
#= Obsidian
#= Iron bars
D= Dispenser.

Place it then right click to fill it up like a regular dispenser. Except in this case you put bones in and skeletons pop out. String for spiders, gunpowder for creepers and rotting flesh for zombies.

I don't know about letting the players do that, but giving a 'dungeon master' admin the tools to do those kinds of things would be more what I mean. Already there are mods to basically do that though. Really I think anything that gets more user-friendly about running D&D style adventures for players is good.

IMO there are three main things I want to see expanded upon drastically in minecraft. (as far as making minecraft more 'game-like' goes) More tools and content for adventures (which means lots of monsters, lots more tools for dms and dungeon builders, etc - a lot of this will be coming with 1.10), more content for more strategic and interesting pvp (could even be a pvp mode with objectives tied to it), and economy/world-building stuff that is focused on letting players make functional and active ingame communities that can supply players with tools they need or even supply stuff to npcs to help them upgrade or protect their village. (Npcs will likely help to accomplish this - I'd like to see stuff like supplying villages with farming food, creating supply lines to villages, etc.)

I think what I've always wanted to see minecraft become is something that's a mix of the community/city building of dwarf fortress and the adventuring of a roguelike - along with neverwinter nights's dungeon mastering stuffs and a wee bit of some simcity or civilization style trading and community building or whatver. Throw in some decent MMO pvp and we're cool.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Oct 10, 2011

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Verizian posted:

This would be a great idea. Having to load them with the associated creature resource does for the most part mean you can't turn them into farming machine cores very well as you'll get diminishing returns for the most part while at the same time giving adventure map makers a powerful tool for booby traps and other such fun.

Also great for 'capturing' zombies for terrifying experiments. I will cure them of zombification if it's the last thing they do! As many times as it takes!

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Eiba posted:

The great thing about the Yogscast is, at first it seems like Simon's a bumbling idiot and Lewis is a relatively dim straight man, and they make for a great comedic pair... but as time goes on you eventually realize that Simon isn't dumb at all and he's really just constantly acting silly to mess with Lewis (and the audience). I think Lewis is in fact as charmingly dim as he appears, though.

This is exactly why Yogscast is hilarious (sorry Xephos). One of the few YT channels that deserve over a million subscribers and however many hundreds of thousands of views they get on each video.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I recently started watching Yogscast and I am happy to say that it's the first channel I've ever subscribed to on Youtube. After slamming through most of their Minecraft videos and Shadows of Israphel while waiting on the train home, I can't help but to hear Simon's 'AAAAAAAAAAHHHH!' in my head whenever I see something cute. Thank you, Yogscast, for making my daily travels bearable.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

A surprise has been deployed? So says Notch. No clue what it is.
http://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/123353261146251264

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Did they sneak PR4 out?

Also,

Jeb on twitter posted:

At today's meeting @notch suggested that should keep doing prereleases all the way to Minecon, so my previous tweet about 1.9 is obsolete :)

Noooo... As neat of an idea as that is, servers waiting for a stable version with Bukkit support would be hosed for another 39 days, not including the time needed for Bukkit to update. Really hoping this just means that 1.9 hits on the 18th and that they still do the code freeze, but release 1.9.1 PreReleases for the bug fixes... they really needed that month of just optimizing and bug fixes before release. :(

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

My server won't update until an official release either :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

Bolian Blues posted:

This is exactly why Yogscast is hilarious (sorry Xephos). One of the few YT channels that deserve over a million subscribers and however many hundreds of thousands of views they get on each video.

Chiming in on this too, they made me buy the game in April or so, never regretted it. I've had my pauses from the game but always end up playing it again. Can't wait for when this whole pre-release thingie is over and we get a stable 1.10(??) so I can start up a server again.