Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

The Moon Monster posted:

I vaguely remember this, but in one of the buildings you can get up in the rafters. Do the jump roll thing to get to the other side of the rafters and you should find a path leading to it.

Is this the building where you're ambushed by 4-5 bloated pyromancy zombies falling down from the rafters? I've made it to both sides of the rafters and picked up all the items I saw, but no Painted set. I think that's the building it's supposed to be in, but is it hidden from view or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Who sells the cracked red eye orbs? I want to invade but I've not got to the covenent bit, and I used up my first 4 and kept getting invasion failed. Gotta love how it doesn't refund them.

defult
Oct 19, 2007

YorexTheMad posted:

Reposting a question from earlier:

Any tips on finding the Painting Guardian armor? The guide says it it in the Painted world but it doesn't give details on how to find it.

I cant rember exactly where it was, but i rember finding it as i was making my way through there. Just search every coner and path split ect, there isnt any where hard to get to just watch out for the harpies & pinwheels. & If you get to the boss there and not found it yet, turn back around.

nauggins
Jun 26, 2009

it's big money postin' baby boy

KezzKezzan posted:

I'm using a wireless controller, what about you?

I'm using a wireless controller too. And I think you might be right about skipping input. When I notice it happening, I mash LB to get my shield up, then the attack goes through, then the shield comes up.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Does it matter which blacksmith i give their respective embers to? Andre wants my divine ember, but I'm not sure if I'd get another effect from a different smith later in the game.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Fonzarelli posted:

Does it matter which blacksmith i give their respective embers to? Andre wants my divine ember, but I'm not sure if I'd get another effect from a different smith later in the game.

I think each ember can only be given to a specific blacksmith so you should give it to him.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

YorexTheMad posted:

Is this the building where you're ambushed by 4-5 bloated pyromancy zombies falling down from the rafters? I've made it to both sides of the rafters and picked up all the items I saw, but no Painted set. I think that's the building it's supposed to be in, but is it hidden from view or something?

Yes, that sounds right. Look around for a ladder or a place to drop down to. I could just be wrong though, it's been awhile.

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

YorexTheMad posted:

Reposting a question from earlier:

Any tips on finding the Painting Guardian armor? The guide says it it in the Painted world but it doesn't give details on how to find it.

Spoilered in case anyone wants to find it on their own: near the start past the bridge that has a guy shooting at you is a building with some funky egg body people. Go up the stairs in there and at the end of that room is a gap you have to jump across. From there is a ladder down. Follow this path and it will lead to a room with some rats. It's in there I think or just past it.

It has awful, awful stats however. Another armour that has poor stats but looks good is the one worn by the firekeeper in Anor Londo. If your thinking of getting it be warned - you have to kill the darkmoon covenant boss lady and forfeit joining that convenant. I wish I hadn't as I can never justify wearing it because of how better other, lighter armours are.

Quinch fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 10, 2011

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

nauggins posted:

I'm using a wireless controller too. And I think you might be right about skipping input. When I notice it happening, I mash LB to get my shield up, then the attack goes through, then the shield comes up.

I'd like to think it's not actually the game so much as maybe some interference with the controller and you'd normally not notice it because most games aren't nearly as tactical with your button presses, so try moving the 360 closer and keep metal away when playing.

Not sure why it would read the first input most of the time but occasionally not otherwise.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Quinch posted:

It has awful, awful stats however.

Man sometimes you just wanna look cool. Thanks for the tips tho, can't wait to go hunting for it again.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Quick question about Sen's Fortress - First, is there a bonfire in there, and second, if I kill the boulder throwing giant or the firebombing one will either come back?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
When you kindle a bonfire, does it then give you 10 flasks from then on, period? Even if you die, quit, reload and come back later, etc? Or is it a somewhat temporary upgrade?

Also, every few minutes, a weird golden light beam seems to come from nowhere in particular pointed at my head (or come out of my head), along with a strange noise. Once, I thought it gave me a point of humanity, but not every time. What the heck is that thing? Is that what happens when someone rates a message I've dropped, or... what? Is it a good thing?

EDIT: and is there a hint anywhere in the game about what you get if you (involving the first dragon you meet on the bridge) shoot off the dragon's tail, or is that purely an easter egg a dev dropped in? It seemed really odd, how the reward just pops into your inventory. I was expecting some drawn out hunt for what fell down, taking it to a blacksmith to forge, yadda yadda.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 10, 2011

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
What does upgrading the Pyromancy Flame do? Does it increase the power of your spells?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Shalinor posted:

When you kindle a bonfire, does it then give you 10 flasks from then on, period? Even if you die, quit, reload and come back later, etc? Or is it a somewhat temporary upgrade?

Also, every few minutes, a weird golden light beam seems to come from nowhere in particular pointed at my head (or come out of my head), along with a strange noise. Once, I thought it gave me a point of humanity, but not every time. What the heck is that thing? Is that what happens when someone rates a message I've dropped, or... what? Is it a good thing?

The golden light is someone on your P2P network kindling a bonfire nearby, giving you an extra estus flask use. Getting humanity that way is a black light.

As for the kindling, that bonfire is kindled for the rest of your playthrough. It will always give you 10 flasks whenever you rest at it, always.

Leyburn posted:

What does upgrading the Pyromancy Flame do? Does it increase the power of your spells?

Pyromancy scales a little with Int, but mostly from your upgraded Pyromancy Flame. So yes, it increases the power of your spells by a whole lot.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Shalinor posted:

Kindled bonfires stay that way forever, and that other noise your hearing is someone kindling a bonfire nearby in another game. When they do that it gives you +1 to your Estus flask. There's some tougher areas where it's very common to get boosts like this. I was in an area tonight where I got 3 in a row in quick succession that put me up at 13 Estus flasks.

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.

Leyburn posted:

Like Kezzkezzan said, upgrading the flame to +5 makes it start scaling with Int, and at +15 I'm pretty sure it's scales at an S level. (The levels are the same as in a lot of Japanese games D < C < B < A < S)

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
What is Lautrec's loving deal? I beat him by a hairsbreadth, but three-quarters of the time his attacks went right through my shield, which is a bitch when you can't heal. Are shotels unblockable or something?

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.

Shalinor posted:

EDIT: and is there a hint anywhere in the game about what you get if you (involving the first dragon you meet on the bridge) shoot off the dragon's tail, or is that purely an easter egg a dev dropped in? It seemed really odd, how the reward just pops into your inventory. I was expecting some drawn out hunt for what fell down, taking it to a blacksmith to forge, yadda yadda.

Nope, other than most bosses with tails can have those tails cut off. Also, you can make it go a lot more quickly if you shoot it then hit the tale with a sword or spell or something when its hanging over the side of the bridge in front of you.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Do invasions work like they do in Demon's Souls and you can no longer get invaded after you have killed the boss?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shalinor posted:

It's a running gimmick for the game. Anything that resembles a dragon can have its tail removed to get a weapon.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Holy poo poo ash lake is loving beautiful and holy poo poo path of the dragon!

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I just beat Quelaag but I didn't get any notice that I got her soul. I just got "you have defeated quelaag!" I want that sword from her soul.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
As a design nerd, I would pay gladly pay $10 for a Dark Souls "Font and Typography Settings" DLC. Easy with the leading there fellas!!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ixjuvin posted:

What is Lautrec's loving deal? I beat him by a hairsbreadth, but three-quarters of the time his attacks went right through my shield, which is a bitch when you can't heal. Are shotels unblockable or something?

I believe 50% of the damage still goes through with shotels. Something like that, anyhow.

nauggins
Jun 26, 2009

it's big money postin' baby boy

KezzKezzan posted:

I'd like to think it's not actually the game so much as maybe some interference with the controller and you'd normally not notice it because most games aren't nearly as tactical with your button presses, so try moving the 360 closer and keep metal away when playing.

Not sure why it would read the first input most of the time but occasionally not otherwise.

No idea. It's a pretty small room; I sit close to the 360/TV, like 6-7 feet. It's not happening too often, and the game seriously owns, so I can deal with an extra frustrating death here and there.

Gotta keep chasin' that :chord: feelin' that only killing giant hard bosses can bring.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Aries posted:

Question about avenging her: I've got some black stone from her corpse that apparently can let me invade the killer's world, do I need to wait until a particular point to use it? You mention Anor Londo, does that mean I need to wait until then?.

Just in case no one answered this.

Yes. There's a specific place there and the orb will start to rumble.

Depths posted:

Holy poo poo ash lake is loving beautiful and holy poo poo path of the dragon!

I am super jealous.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Ixjuvin posted:

I think so. I had one guy invade me who was using one, and I couldn't block his attacks at all.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The mountain that this game takes place in is such a massive network of tunnels and caverns that its no wonder the city is built on a massive solid stone foundation that goes all the way down to Blighttown. The entire thing would be a sinkhole risk otherwise. What with a massive lake, demon ruins, another massive lake, catacombs etc etc. No wonder New Londo sunk into the sea

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Should I buy that catarina armor set or should I just keep on chugging along with my elite knight set?

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Ornstein and Smough :qq:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

charismaslover posted:

Ornstein and Smough :qq:

The only boss I had to white phantom cheese against (so far). Screw going two on one.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Is there a bonfire closer to the bed of chaos? Those loving demons are so annoying, randomly their attacks will just one-hit you and I'll be nowhere near them. This is the most poorly designed area in the game, it is not fun, it is not "tough but fair", it is just a dash for your life and hoping you get lucky and make it.

Also, I was about to attack Chaos' core, I was on the little bridge, and his recovery from his branch attack shoved my model off into the abyss.

Thank you from software for this incredibly broken unfun portion of the game. Everything else (aside some balance issues) is perfect. This is poo poo.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Should I buy that catarina armor set or should I just keep on chugging along with my elite knight set?

Elite Knight set was the heaviest armor I saw in the guide that didn't have a Stamina penalty associated with it. I'm pretty sure that's a misprint and the armor does carry a penalty, but I haven't bothered actually testing it. Catarina has "minor reduction to Stamina regeneration" listed on a couple of its pieces.

That said, I'm carrying around enough souls to buy the Catarina armor as soon as I can make it back to that merchant, just because of how ridiculous it looks.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Two questions:

1. Is level 50 too low for behind the sealed door in Darkroot Basin? I killed all of those rolling cat things (:stare:) at great expense, and even the mushroom people are strong as poo poo. I'm currently running with a +3 set of elite knight armor, +7 Uchigatana, +2 Black Knight Shield and no spells.

2. How do I use Quelagg's soul to make a weapon? I have both Quelaggs and the Moonlight butterfly's, afraid to use any of them from my inventory though.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Ixjuvin posted:

In response to this I will quote wikipedia:

Wikipedia.org posted:

Classically the Shotel was employed in a dismounted states to hook the opponent by reaching around a shield or any other defensive implement or weapon.[1] Its shape is similar to a big sickle and can be effectively used to reach around an opponent's shield and stab them in vital areas, such as the kidneys or lungs.

In Demons Souls shotels behaved exactly the same way. I still haven't seen anyone respond to my question about whether most the bosses in this game are just remodeled bosses from Demons Souls. So far the bosses and most monsters I have encountered have had the exact same move sets from Demons Souls. I really want a new game but I'm not seeing it yet.

CountingWizard fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 10, 2011

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Dirty Job posted:

Two questions:

1. Is level 50 too low for behind the sealed door in Darkroot Basin? I killed all of those rolling cat things (:stare:) at great expense, and even the mushroom people are strong as poo poo. I'm currently running with a +3 set of elite knight armor, +7 Uchigatana, +2 Black Knight Shield and no spells.

2. How do I use Quelagg's soul to make a weapon? I have both Quelaggs and the Moonlight butterfly's, afraid to use any of them from my inventory though.

2. The Anor Londo smith will make special weapons BUT. He wont tell you what you need for them. I guess if you are playing without a guide get a +10 of every type of weapon and eventually youll see what you can make, its a little silly

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.

KezzKezzan posted:

Pyromancy scales a little with Int, but mostly from your upgraded Pyromancy Flame. So yes, it increases the power of your spells by a whole lot.

If you don't cast any other magic, is it really worth putting points into int? Can you get by alright without it if you're pyromancy/big rear end sword+armor?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wizard Whateley posted:

If you don't cast any other magic, is it really worth putting points into int? Can you get by alright without it if you're pyromancy/big rear end sword+armor?

As someone else said, pyromancy is basically free magic.

So, sorry to ask again but is there any bonfire close to the bed of chaos? The lava area is just frustrating.

quote:

So far the bosses and most monsters I have encountered have had the exact same move sets from Demons Souls. I really want a new game but I'm not seeing it yet.
What the hell are you talking about?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
You know, Blighttown really should have made me much angrier trying to get down it with the amount of mistakes I made. I got to the bottom, I've got two poison healing items left and I've kindled the bonfire. If I can't get any white phantom buddies when I do, at least I've got Mildred!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

They cribbed the gargoyle fight from the Maneaters (and even then they didnt breathe fire, or did they?) but thats about it.

Aside from the minibosses that look like Yurt who are just generic sword and board dudes

• Locked thread