Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So a small trick I just learned last night that nobody else mentioned... If you chug an Estus flask, you can keep hitting the button and drink more than one during that same animation.

Maybe this is super obvious and everybody else knew it already except me, but there it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!

Sacrificial Toast posted:

After you get under the dragon bridge, you should be able to go through a door and kick a ladder that makes a shortcut back to the previous Bonfire.

Oh my god I've missed that every time? I'm an idiot. That makes it much easier! So many lost souls!

It sounds like upgrading the Estus flask is one of the most important things I can do. Also not accidentally hitting NPCs (I had no idea you could do that). Any other huge tips that might make me get frustrated less? I read about a curse too which sounds lovely. I don't need to get and see everything, I just don't want to miss crazy insanely helpful things.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
What the gently caress!

http://i.imgur.com/4nLhD.jpg

How do I wake him up! Bang some pots and pans together? yell at him? I don't want to attack him :ohdear:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Oh my god I've missed that every time? I'm an idiot. That makes it much easier! So many lost souls!

It sounds like upgrading the Estus flask is one of the most important things I can do. Also not accidentally hitting NPCs (I had no idea you could do that). Any other huge tips that might make me get frustrated less? I read about a curse too which sounds lovely. I don't need to get and see everything, I just don't want to miss crazy insanely helpful things.

Dont spoil yourself too much theres lots of neat traps to get killed by. About what youre asking though: Do NOT use the item that upgrades flasks from your inventory, give them to the flame keeper at the shrine instead. And w/r/t curses, if you see a bunch of cute frogs run the hell away

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

CountingWizard posted:

In Demons Souls shotels behaved exactly the same way. I still haven't seen anyone respond to my question about whether most the bosses in this game are just remodeled bosses from Demons Souls.

There are a lot of parts of the game that have been taken from Demon's Souls. To be honest the bosses have mostly been pretty disappointing. :(

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Bobnumerotres posted:

What the hell are you talking about?

There are some obvious similarities and/or callbacks (Hollows = Dreglings, Asylum Demon is a reimagined Vanguard, Blightown grunts have the same crazy push-you attacks the Valley of Defilement grunts loved).

One callback I don't think is in the game that I would have liked is a new Old Monk fight. Especially since they have NPC Black/White phantoms now.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

charismaslover posted:

Ornstein and Smough :qq:

I've killed one and gotten the other down to 30% health or so several times but I just can't beat them. Does anyone know where/what level I should be looking for summon signs. The only one I can find is that NPC's. Anor Londo must have been pretty metal considering their executioner uses a hammer.

Also, in case anyone was wondering about the Golem axe, it's basically a battle axe with better stats that replaces the strong attack with a ranged shockwave. It does 30 durability damage but the axe has 600 or something total so whatever, just don't go crazy. It would be pretty great... if it didn't have a weight of 16.

Also, the spear those bat demons in Anor Londo drop is amazing.

e:also also also

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 10, 2011

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

Okay, so I started playing right now, got through the entire Parish without being hurt at all, found the Blacksmith and upgraded my axe; and got the tower knight pretty drat easily. Suddenly the game is alot more fun! It's a constant give and take. Glad I made the purchase.

Okay I have a few quick questions, not too far into the game obviously:

- The "Onion" knight at the closed gate in the Undead Parish; is there a way to get his armor? I love how it looks.

- What's this all about "Hollow"-ing? What does it mean? What is Humanity, and why is it important? Is it the number in the left corner of the HUD?

- I am playing offline, is that a bad idea? I hear you get good bonuses for playing online, but then I have to reactivate my Xbox Live account to Gold. Not sure if I can justify using it enough for the cost..

Thanks! :)

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Here's the grand list of things I've seen so far that have been taken from Demon Souls:

The hollow soldiers/crossbowmen/etc
Zombie slave guys
Skeletons in the graveyard by firelink
Asylum Demon is similar design to the vanguard (stay behind him to stay safe) but he's sufficiently different that I don't mind.
Uhh... ghouls in blight town I guess? They use weapons and they're humanoid, but the guys in demon souls didn't have a gently caress-off grab attack, and we didn't have poison snipers.

The first three are really basic enemy types and I don't really have a problem with them being similar because I expect these types of enemies and they're just fodder anyway.

Here's something I see people complaining about but that isn't really fair:

Gargoyle fight vs. Maneater - yes they're both gargoyles, but the fights and movesets are pretty much completely different. People are complaining about this fight when I thought Maneater was waaaay harder on that tiny rear end bridge.

The only other thing I can think of is that some of the areas have a similar feel. Undead Burg being similar to Boletaria, well, a castle type area as the opening zone is kind of 'safe' and helps people get accustomed to the game. I don't mind.

Blight town being like 5-1 is a little lazy in my book. It's a cool zone but they could've changed up the premise. Same with the swamp, I mean a swamp level in a game like this is kind of expected. But maybe they didn't HAVE to have a swamp and they could've had some other type of area and it could've been different instead of rehashing 5-2. However it does fit the aesthetic and setting of both Souls games amazingly so I don't know that I can really fault them. Poisonous swamp created dread and disgust and that was probably their goal.

sighnoceros fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 10, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Can't wait to finally loving play this tonight. The Collector's Edition kinda blows but seeing as I paid standard price for it I really don't care all that much.

Bring on da pain.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Baibai Kuaikuai posted:

Okay, so I started playing right now, got through the entire Parish without being hurt at all, found the Blacksmith and upgraded my axe; and got the tower knight pretty drat easily. Suddenly the game is alot more fun! It's a constant give and take. Glad I made the purchase.

Okay I have a few quick questions, not too far into the game obviously:

- The "Onion" knight at the closed gate in the Undead Parish; is there a way to get his armor? I love how it looks.

- What's this all about "Hollow"-ing? What does it mean? What is Humanity, and why is it important? Is it the number in the left corner of the HUD?

- I am playing offline, is that a bad idea? I hear you get good bonuses for playing online, but then I have to reactivate my Xbox Live account to Gold. Not sure if I can justify using it enough for the cost..

You can get that armor from a merchant behind that gate. You might also be able to get it by killing the guy? I'm not sure about that one.

Humanity increases your drop rate and can be given to some covenant NPCs for items and other things. It also lets your turn human at a bonfire, which you need to do to use most multiplayer features. Even if you're offline being human will let you summon an NPC to help with certain bosses. You can also use 1 humanity to kindle a bonfire if you're in human form, this makes the fire give 5 more estus flasks and is permanent. Hollow is not being in human form.

Online has a bunch of cool features but is surprisingly dead even on the PS3, thanks to that stupid P2P system I'd imagine. I have no idea if it's better or worse on 360.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 10, 2011

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Sultan Tarquin posted:

What the gently caress!

http://i.imgur.com/4nLhD.jpg

How do I wake him up! Bang some pots and pans together? yell at him? I don't want to attack him :ohdear:

Unequip your weapons and punch him in the face. Seriously.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!

Meme Emulator posted:

Dont spoil yourself too much theres lots of neat traps to get killed by. About what youre asking though: Do NOT use the item that upgrades flasks from your inventory, give them to the flame keeper at the shrine instead. And w/r/t curses, if you see a bunch of cute frogs run the hell away

Yeah, I don't want to spoil too much but on the other hand I don't want to completely gently caress myself by doing something like wasting that flask upgrade item. I don't like that it's possible to sort of screw yourself. Just want to avoid those sorts of things mostly.

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008
gently caress this loving game. I spent hours trying to kill the Capra Demon last night and ultimately failed, now I'm sitting in work and all I want to do is go play it. Gonna spend all night grinding the poo poo out of souls to get a +10 longsword then we'll see who owns that loving closet he lives in

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Baibai Kuaikuai posted:

Yup, there's a merchant inside that area behind the closed gate who sells it. It's called the Catarina armor. It may be a little bit before you unlock it, though.

Baibai Kuaikuai posted:

Hollowing is basically your "dead" state. You can't summon phantoms or be invaded while Hollow, you can't Kindle bonfires, and some NPCs are dicks to you. Humanity (the number by your health bar) can be spent to undo your Hollow state, which lets you Kindle bonfires (+5 Flasks from that bonfire, permanently, but costs 1 Humanity) and lets you summon Phantoms. Since you're offline, this will mainly be specific NPC phantoms on specific boss fights. If you were online, you could summon other players to assist and you could also be invaded by black phantom players. Also, having your Humanity count above 0 will increase your item discovery rate.

Baibai Kuaikuai posted:

You're missing out on notes other players are leaving in the field and multiplayer. So far, multiplayer hasn't been as lively as Demon's (I'm playing on PS3) and the lack of easy Humanity is a huge drawback but when it works, it's great. You're missing out but I don't know that I'd get a Gold account just for that.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I wasted that goddamn flask item and i'm mad all the time now :(

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Apparently there is a way to completely ruin your game in the catacombs. The Catacombs are full of bridges that start out spiky and impassable, but can be rendered passable by hitting some switches. However, if you know what you're doing you can jump past these bridges without hitting the switches. If you use a bonfire after skipping the bridges without hitting the switches, there's no way to get back up.

I haven't done the area after the catacombs so there might be a way to get back to the rest of the gameworld by pressing onwards, but if you do it at a low enough level it would probably be really difficult.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Welp catarina armor is about as strong as an upgraded elite armor but with lower lighting resist and it looks hilarious. It also uses twinkling shards so gently caress upgrading that. Gonna farm more souls to get the rest of the merchants crap.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
Where the hell is the depths? I just got the key to access it, but I can't find the door anywhere. Capra demon's room seem to just be a dead end.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Hear its much harder now, is it still viable to solo your way through the game? Some of the advice i read makes it seem like you need to have pals along.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

PerOlus posted:

Where the hell is the depths? I just got the key to access it, but I can't find the door anywhere. Capra demon's room seem to just be a dead end.

Down a flight of stairs to the right of the cabra demons place. Follow it and you'll see the door and a tower that leads to a shortcut to firelink.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

PerOlus posted:

Its really hard to see but right before the fog door theres a little stairwell down. Enjoy

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

PerOlus posted:

Face the door to Capra Demon's room and turn right.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Fonzarelli posted:

I wasted that goddamn flask item and i'm mad all the time now :(

Same, biggest dick move in the game was the description of that item

It made the following 5+ hours harder than they needed to be

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer
This game... I never thought I would use the words Toothed Vagina Dragon in that specific order. By far my favorite boss fight thus far. Although Taurus Demon was :black101: as gently caress. Especially when I figured out you can jump off the tower and stab the dude in his face for massive damage.

I get the feeling that most people who say the bosses are all just reskinned haven't gotten to the boss of the depths yet.

God Damn Dam God fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 10, 2011

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Meme Emulator posted:

if you see a bunch of cute frogs run the hell away

Those frogs are good eatin! Also pretty easy to kill and worth decent souls as well. Just um, be careful.

E:

YorexTheMad posted:

Also, having your Humanity count above 0 will increase your item discovery rate.

I am not sure if it is due to simply having the higher discover rate associated with possessing humanity or not, but it seems to take forever to gain a random point of humanity if you have zero, but with even a single one they add in pretty frequently.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 10, 2011

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Underwhelmed posted:

Those frogs are good eatin! Also pretty easy to kill and worth decent souls as well. Just um, be careful.

I thought they were easy until I got stuck against the wall by 4 of them :(

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost

Dongattack posted:

Hear its much harder now, is it still viable to solo your way through the game? Some of the advice i read makes it seem like you need to have pals along.

It is much harder to solo through the game than Demon's Souls, but I've managed to do it so far playing as a melee character (heavy armor + great shield and spear). I'm only about 30 hours in though so I haven't seen everything but I assume the entire game is soloabe, albeit far more difficult.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
This thread moves faster than I would've expected.

Love the game so far, kinda at a loss of what to do now though. Rang the first bell, went through the depths with a few white phantoms, and then got killed entering Blighttown and was thusly sent back to Firelink. Also I attacked the Undead Merchant in the aqueduct and don't know if I want to bother with buying absolution. If there is some short-cut either through the depths or into Blighttown I may try messing with that again. I also went into the Forest and that didn't go so well; butterfly killed me after I ran past a bunch of trees and living armor golem things, and going the other way got me killed by crystal (or ice?) golems. I haven't messed around with the New Londo Ruins too much, got through one fog door but not much further.

One thing that I do like about the ruins and the catacombs is that the ghosts and skeletons don't give you souls so there's fairly little risk involved. I'm currently in the catacombs and mostly doing a lot of running and grabbing whatever I can, made it to the second bonfire hidden behind a wall, but can't find the lich that's resurrecting the skeletons past that point. Ran all the way down to where the wheel skeletons were and got slaughtered fairly quickly, so I'm probably going to work my way out of there and try some place else.

Don't remember exactly off-hand but I think I'm in the mid-20s for Soul Level, and at the moment I'm playing around with a bunch of different load-outs, but mainly using the Drake sword and a long bow +5 with some basic light armor, although I'm considering using the elite knight stuff.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

Meme Emulator posted:

Its really hard to see but right before the fog door theres a little stairwell down. Enjoy

Aaaaah I see, thanks.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

fadam posted:

Are you sure? http://www.ign.com/wikis/dark-souls/Lower_Undead_Berg says otherwise :(

Yeah, I'm sure. I had the same problem you had. The wiki has been wrong about a lot of stuff this week while they figure things out. Go check near the big gate lever in the undead parish.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Anor Londo.
Double giant guards.
Gargoyles that damage through 100% shields.
Javelin-hurling knights pinning you on walkways.

:smithicide:

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Brightman posted:

If there is some short-cut either through the depths or into Blighttown I may try messing with that again.

If you have the Master Key and can take on a couple of the club-wielding brutes, there's a shortcut into Blighttown underneath Firelink's bonfire. Ride the elevator down, and nearby is a locked door you can Master Key open.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
You can do all those guards one at a time if you're careful.
The gargoyles hilariously can't fly.
And yeah those guys are dicks. All I can say is RUUUUUUUUN!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Foxhound posted:

Anor Londo.
Double giant guards.

The Gargoyles shouldn't be damaging you 100% through sields. A lot of their damage is lightning damage so get a shield that's good against that. The Eagle shield from upper blighttown, for instance.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Foxhound posted:

Anor Londo.
Double giant guards.

The guards don't talk to each other - if you pull one from the furthest lock-on distance with a soul arrow or throwing knife or whatever, you can pull it back to wherever you want to deal with it. And you can walk through their legs and stab them from the back, repeatedly. Similar pulling mechanism works for the gargoyles, too.

The snipers are bullshit incarnate, though.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Oh right it's lightning damage. I never saw any sparks so I just assumed they had some armor-piercing or lifeleeching whatnot.

Also the guards I'm talking about are the ones after the giant spiral staircase, haven't been able to pull them alone so far.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
drat Darkmoon Covenant. I get my 2nd orb invasion to work ever in the Painted World. While I'm fighting the toxic hollow. I entered is world with less than 1 bar of health and toxic. I cured myself and then died from fall damage trying to get to him. Awesome.

They need to admit that p2p on the 360 doesn't work because there is like 1/20th of the players in the book of the guilty.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

YorexTheMad posted:

If you have the Master Key and can take on a couple of the club-wielding brutes, there's a shortcut into Blighttown underneath Firelink's bonfire. Ride the elevator down, and nearby is a locked door you can Master Key open.

No Master Key I'm afraid. Guess I'll just tough it out. Kinda hoping I'm just missing something altogether and there's another option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Sultan Tarquin posted:

They need to admit that p2p on the 360 doesn't work because there is like 1/20th of the players in the book of the guilty.

There are a ton of people on their forums complaining about how broken the MP is but there hasn't been a response yet. :smith:

• Locked thread