Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Underwhelmed posted:

I am not sure if it is due to simply having the higher discover rate associated with possessing humanity or not, but it seems to take forever to gain a random point of humanity if you have zero, but with even a single one they add in pretty frequently.
You cannot gain "liquid" humanity from kills in an area once you've killed the boss for the area, FYI. Rats and crap that can, will still drop humanity shards, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Skunk Ape posted:

Can someone tell me how to get the abyss quickly? I lowered the water in New Londo and was under the impression it's in the big cathedral building but I'm finding nothing but swarms of Darkwraiths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvoeFbH8hHc

Here's a guy brute forcing the Four Kings down, starts at the elevator. He pretty much runs straight to the fog door.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

NoneSuch posted:

I thought they were easy until I got stuck against the wall by 4 of them :(

Maybe I have just been lucky, but even with a curse resist of only 40, I still get a couple solid seconds to get out of the cloud, and while I have had a couple of close calls I have never gotten cursed. In fact I have no idea what being cursed does, and I don't want to know honestly, it's a lot more fun taking the risk without knowing how bad the consequences may or may not be. Firebombs and throwing knives are great for those things since the knives will stop them from actually spraying (just pitch one into them as they are puffing if you are too far to hit them) and fire chews them up pretty bad as well.

I haven't been cruising this thread too much in fear of spoiling stuff, so maybe this is a common bit of advice, but I cannot recommend throwing knives enough. I carry tons of the things and use them all the time. They aren't much of a source of damage per se, but having a quick ranged attack that you don't need to swap out has saved my rear end so many times and just overall made my life easier.

Also I would recommend bringing several thousand when you go to the swamp. Life was a lot easier before I ran out of the drat things.

G.I. Jaw posted:

It is much harder to solo through the game than Demon's Souls, but I've managed to do it so far playing as a melee character (heavy armor + great shield and spear). I'm only about 30 hours in though so I haven't seen everything but I assume the entire game is soloabe, albeit far more difficult.

I actually find this game significantly easier than Demon's Souls. Maybe just because it feels less grindy since weapon upgrading is a fraction as monotonous as it was in the first, or maybe the world layout is a little more conducive to exploration since once you get on the trail the difficulty goes up steadily as new areas are revealed. I find it a lot less frustrating, and besides the odd camera death and occasional "how the hell did I just slide off that bridge?" death in Blighttown I feel that any time I have been killed has been my own fault. I loved Demon's Souls, but I think this game has ruined it for me.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Eej posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvoeFbH8hHc

Here's a guy brute forcing the Four Kings down, starts at the elevator. He pretty much runs straight to the fog door.

Oh god that armour, it's so loving ridiculous!

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Underwhelmed posted:

I actually find this game significantly easier than Demon's Souls.

Hahaha. Are you mental?! If that's your experience with it then so be it I guess.

I was one of those people who didn't think Demon's Souls was that hard, just a bit unforgiving. But imo Dark Souls really is brutally hard, some areas are just sadistic in their design.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

MadJackMcJack posted:

Oh god that armour, it's so loving ridiculous!

Smough's armor is even more ridiculous. Half of my shield is inside the armor.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

charismaslover posted:

Ornstein and Smough :qq:

Hahaha, gently caress you. I may have had to summon an army to gently caress you up but I did it.

Although when we killed Smough and Ornstein turned into a giant :stare:

Edit: My attempt before it was so deflating, I managed to find some humanity and had just killed the giant knights outside the boss door but just before I could summon anyone I got invaded and killed :negative:

charismaslover fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 10, 2011

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
This is getting brutal. Just when I think I get past an area that's been troubling me (the first time you meet the boar), I get to another area that just wipes me out (the skeleton with the cloak soon after).

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

What bosses can I hang out near at SL34? I have yet to coop with anyone, and just want to do it once. I sit around boss areas all the time with my symbol down, and never get summoned, nor do I ever see any. But I think I may have grinded a little too much and am above the average SL curve or something. I haven't killed Gaping Dragon yet, as he just wrecks me for some reason, so I've stood outside there for way to long waiting for a summon.

I also recently finally found the Capra Demon who died in 3 swings of my Black Knights Greatsword. That was pretty awesome.

Also another question in Darkroot Basin: Do I need to go INTO the water for the hydra? My huge burley tank guy is not having a great time dodging the water he spits, and I was afraid to step into the water for fear of going incredibly slow and dying instantly to his projectiles. I'm not totally clear on where I should be running up and attacking him from, and I have lots of liquid humanity on me, so I haven't been up to any suicide runs to find a spot

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
Is there any trick to getting humanity shards? I'm at the red dragon and would like to kindle up 2 nearby bonfires. Just grind a bunch until one drops?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Is there any trick to getting humanity shards? I'm at the red dragon and would like to kindle up 2 nearby bonfires. Just grind a bunch until one drops?

Kill a lot of rats since they drop humanity items.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

I love From, I love the Souls games, and I am amazed every time I play either at the little details. While doing some summon assists on the depths boss, I noticed that the curse frog victims are actually the remains of other players.

Nothing like being able to find, and then break your own corpse.

:allears:

surrender903
Dec 22, 2006
U2 Fan
Pillbug

Capsaicin posted:

This is getting brutal. Just when I think I get past an area that's been troubling me (the first time you meet the boar), I get to another area that just wipes me out (the skeleton with the cloak soon after).

I hated those skeletons. Stupid parry move.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Binge posted:

What bosses can I hang out near at SL34? I have yet to coop with anyone, and just want to do it once. I sit around boss areas all the time with my symbol down, and never get summoned, nor do I ever see any. But I think I may have grinded a little too much and am above the average SL curve or something. I haven't killed Gaping Dragon yet, as he just wrecks me for some reason, so I've stood outside there for way to long waiting for a summon.

I also recently finally found the Capra Demon who died in 3 swings of my Black Knights Greatsword. That was pretty awesome.

Also another question in Darkroot Basin: Do I need to go INTO the water for the hydra? My huge burley tank guy is not having a great time dodging the water he spits, and I was afraid to step into the water for fear of going incredibly slow and dying instantly to his projectiles. I'm not totally clear on where I should be running up and attacking him from, and I have lots of liquid humanity on me, so I haven't been up to any suicide runs to find a spot

At 34 you might get summons for the bosses of Blighttown or possibly the Catacombs? The multiplayer is kinda dead for me despite there probably being more people playing now than there ever were in Demon's

Also regarding your second question. The Hydra will start doing easily blockable melee attacks once you get close to it. Just keep going. You can kill it from range but it's probably a lot harder.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Yeah okay Tomb of the Giants is like something out of a horror game. White eyes staring at me from darkness, oh god :gonk:

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Leyburn posted:

Hahaha. Are you mental?! If that's your experience with it then so be it I guess.

I was one of those people who didn't think Demon's Souls was that hard, just a bit unforgiving. But imo Dark Souls really is brutally hard, some areas are just sadistic in their design.

Yeah I might be alone in that opinion. I might just enjoy it a lot more and thus have a lot more patience than I did for the first. If I didn't see every opinion online saying the otherwise now I would still be saying this one was easier.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

surrender903 posted:

I hated those skeletons. Stupid parry move.

Just don't attack them when they are holding their sword up in front of them and you won't get parried.

nauggins
Jun 26, 2009

it's big money postin' baby boy

WebDO posted:

I love From, I love the Souls games, and I am amazed every time I play either at the little details. While doing some summon assists on the depths boss, I noticed that the curse frog victims are actually the remains of other players.

I was mad as gently caress when I got cursed (more than once), but I noticed this and it seemed to lessen the sting a bit v:shobon:v

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!

evilalien posted:

Kill a lot of rats since they drop humanity items.

There's a set of 3 rats under the red dragon. I think there is a bonfire near there. Should be easy grinding then.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

WebDO posted:

I was wondering about that. I went through an area and there weren't any around. Left the room and came back and there was one in the middle of the room. It was making me paranoid. :ohdear:

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Finally committed myself to fighting Sif. I killed him the first try. My shield could take anything he offered and I just stayed underneath him and hacked away. Then I started to explore Sen's fortress. Died like 4 times from falling off the drat bridge and an arrow trap...found the lightning spear(yay) and it's awesome. I decided I wanted to go back and show bridge dragon what was up, but he's not there. I've been running around the bridge back and forth and underneath and around but he won't come back. Any way I can find him?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dr. Glasscock posted:

There's a set of 3 rats under the red dragon. I think there is a bonfire near there. Should be easy grinding then.

Wait for the ones in the depths, they are easier to reach and there are more of em.

Also, ever since I found the snake ring that gives +200 item discovery I just dont feel like hording humanity.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

WebDO posted:

Haha, holy poo poo, that's what they were? There were a ton when I was there! Poor bastards....

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Is there a bonfire anywhere in the Parish near the big gate? I've killed three caped knights, I have no Estus flasks, and I'm one hit away from death. Any help? :\ There is a wooden bridge that I haven't crossed yet, and the only other option looks to be going into a temple like area.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Went ahead and joined the Gravelord covenant but how the hell do I use the Eyes of Death? My character won't do anything when I try. After some googling it seems other people haven't been able to use them either, so is this bugged or something?

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Capsaicin posted:

Is there a bonfire anywhere in the Parish near the big gate? I've killed three caped knights, I have no Estus flasks, and I'm one hit away from death. Any help? :\ There is a wooden bridge that I haven't crossed yet, and the only other option looks to be going into a temple like area.

If you go around the back of the church (temple like area) and across a long-ish bridge there is a bonfire and a blacksmith. You'll have to get past about 5 enemies though so take it slow.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

MadJackMcJack posted:

Haha, holy poo poo, that's what they were? There were a ton when I was there! Poor bastards....

I just wish that, for extra griefing potential, smashing one of them would cause a stagger in their world...Ahh, the joys of dreaming up even more ways for the game to be evil and vicious.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

Go around to the right of the church and there should be a path leading away from the area where you can find a bonfire down some steps. There is also a blacksmith there. If you haven't killed them, there are about 3 dreglings you need to go through and one has a bow so be careful. Just don't go through the church or you will regret it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Wow, the drake sword has trivialized a lot of these early boss fights for me. Im supposed to be headed to the Moss gardens and I just killed the gargoyles and the capra demon by brute forcing it with estus flasks and the sword.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Capsaicin posted:

When you cross the wooden bridge part, the church is on your left. On the right there is a small alcove with a path that leads to a bonfire and a blacksmith.

nauggins
Jun 26, 2009

it's big money postin' baby boy

Capsaicin posted:

Yes there is! If you go across that bridge (if it's the one I'm thinking of), there is a platform with three skellies, then a stone bridge off to the right. If you hear the clink-clank of a hammer, you're on the right track. Go down the stairs at the end of the bridge and shazam!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Capsaicin posted:

Go over the wooden bridge and turn right. There's a long non populated hallway leading to a bonfire and a smith. You will use this fire a lot so kindle it when you get a chance.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

Cross the wooden bridge then turn right.

e: :stare:

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
Question about boss souls: Are they a random drop? Just asking because I've been dumping all my Titinite into a specific weapon I wanted to ascend and I'm wondering if it's going to be a waste of souls if chances are I'm not going to get the boss soul I actually need.

Luckily, I've got the soul for the spear/shield, and while it's not what I'd prefer, I think spears still stack well with Dex which is what I've been focusing most of my souls on.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zebrasectomy posted:

Question about boss souls: Are they a random drop? Just asking because I've been dumping all my Titinite into a specific weapon I wanted to ascend and I'm wondering if it's going to be a waste of souls if chances are I'm not going to get the boss soul I actually need.

Luckily, I've got the soul for the spear/shield, and while it's not what I'd prefer, I think spears still stack well with Dex which is what I've been focusing most of my souls on.

I'm 90% sure they are not.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Zebrasectomy posted:

Bosses that drop souls should always drop their souls.

So I load up my dex based character today and go to fight stray demon. Turns out he's weak to bleeding effects so I killed him about 3 times as fast as my str based character.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Stele007 posted:

Why does no one ever rate messages? I even put "amazing chest" in front of
Gwynevere, but still nothing...

This is from a million pages back but the first time I went in there someone put down "try holding with both hands." :haw:

I upvoted it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Where is the drat claymore?

Can I farm a falchion from the graveyard skeleton near firelink? Is it easier to get one some other way?

Why did From take away my kilij :saddowns:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
This game is hard, and I'm super confused as to whether I'm doing the "right" things or if I'm . Just to be sure I'm not being totally dense, I've been stuck in one of the first areas for the past couple days that I've played. I'm saved at what I guess is the first bonfire in the undead burg. Is there another one before you fight the Taurus Demon on the wall? I've made it to him a couple times and died pretty much right away as I try to figure out his patterns. Usually by the time I get there I'm down to 1 or 0 flasks left, and pretty much nothing else besides my sword. No firebombs, etc. I'm a level 6 (I think) warrior.

Am I missing anything obvious, like "why the hell aren't you using [x] to upgrade [y]"? Should I be grinding more, returning to the one bonfire a bunch? Are souls the only thing needed to level up more?

Also, to be sure I understand how it works, I used the one Humanity you find near the Firelink shrine to return to human form, but I guess I became hollowed again as soon as I died (it happened pretty soon after :v: )? Is the only immediate benefit to being human that you can kindle the fire to increase your flask uses?

Is there a legend somewhere that explains what the icons next to each item in my inventory stand for? I'm assuming they mean things like attack strength, weight, etc. but its kind of confusing which is which.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

WebDO posted:

This is amazing.

• Locked thread