Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The spear + shield zombies (like those around the boar) are hard as hell for me. It seems hardly possible to run around them, and as a weak sorcerer I can't get them to drop their shields. Besides soul arrowing everything to death any advice on how to backstab these fuckers?

Also whens the earliest I can find a magical dexterity based weapon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Hooray I can now cast fire magic, I have a feeling it could have made a few areas before Anor Londo a lot easier :shepface:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Sheep-Goats posted:

Where is the drat claymore?

Can I farm a falchion from the graveyard skeleton near firelink? Is it easier to get one some other way?

Why did From take away my kilij :saddowns:

There's a claymore on the dragon bridge, between the alcoves half-way and the gate under the dragon.

Good luck.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I went back to Firelink and walked through that flooded shrine ruin. There was very loud snoring. I looked around but couldn't find what was making that noise. What happened?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Kneel Before Zog posted:

The spear + shield zombies (like those around the boar) are hard as hell for me. It seems hardly possible to run around them, and as a weak sorcerer I can't get them to drop their shields. Besides soul arrowing everything to death any advice on how to backstab these fuckers?

Also whens the earliest I can find a magical dexterity based weapon?

Learn to kick.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Has anyone tried playing Dark Souls with Castlevania background music? It works really well.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Sooooooo, there's one in the church?

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Kick, then follow-up immediately with an attack.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Drox posted:

I went back to Firelink and walked through that flooded shrine ruin. There was very loud snoring. I looked around but couldn't find what was making that noise. What happened?

Plot stuff. You'll meet the snoring dude later.

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008
So 360 guys, how's the game really handle online? I know the community is smaller than PS3 but is it so bad to where I shouldn't touch the game unless I just want singleplayer? I don't have a PS3 but always wanted to try out Demon souls. The thread sounds negative about the 360, but I can't find any one thing in particular to decide on.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Kick them once, sometimes this induces a swing which you can block and counter attack (or riposte if you're comfortable with it), sometimes they still stand there, if they still stand there, kick them again and it should break their guard and you can hit them.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
Good to hear about the boss soul drops!

By the way, am I ever going to be able to sell gear and if so, how far away am I from it ( Just beat the Moonlit Butterfly. )? I've picked up every single item since I've started and haven't dropped a single thing and now my inventory is a mess of moss and broken swords.

freeb0rn
Jan 22, 2005

sirbeefalot posted:

This game is hard, and I'm super confused as to whether I'm doing the "right" things or if I'm . Just to be sure I'm not being totally dense, I've been stuck in one of the first areas for the past couple days that I've played. I'm saved at what I guess is the first bonfire in the undead burg. Is there another one before you fight the Taurus Demon on the wall? I've made it to him a couple times and died pretty much right away as I try to figure out his patterns. Usually by the time I get there I'm down to 1 or 0 flasks left, and pretty much nothing else besides my sword. No firebombs, etc. I'm a level 6 (I think) warrior.

Am I missing anything obvious, like "why the hell aren't you using [x] to upgrade [y]"? Should I be grinding more, returning to the one bonfire a bunch? Are souls the only thing needed to level up more?

Also, to be sure I understand how it works, I used the one Humanity you find near the Firelink shrine to return to human form, but I guess I became hollowed again as soon as I died (it happened pretty soon after :v: )? Is the only immediate benefit to being human that you can kindle the fire to increase your flask uses?

Is there a legend somewhere that explains what the icons next to each item in my inventory stand for? I'm assuming they mean things like attack strength, weight, etc. but its kind of confusing which is which.

If you're having problems with this boss, you should climb up the tower at the one end of the wall, where you come out, and then right when he's bellow you do a falling attack on him, run away to the other end, let him charge you, run at him and dodge his attack and rinse and repeat until he's dead. If you do this perfectly he won't even hit you once. In general if you're having problems with the bosses you should either a) work on your route there so that you're using less flasks and b) upgrade the kindling of the bonefire -- this gives you 10 instead of 5 flasks when you rest -- (the Undead Burg one is especially useful as you use it later on as well) by being in human form and using another 1 humanity on it. You get humanity by either randomly killing stuff (soft humanity) or by using Humanity or Twin Humanity consumables (also from Firekeeper but do *not* use them for this, use them to upgrade your flask instead).

freeb0rn fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 10, 2011

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Zebrasectomy posted:

By the way, am I ever going to be able to sell gear and if so, how far away am I from it ( Just beat the Moonlit Butterfly. )? I've picked up every single item since I've started and haven't dropped a single thing and now my inventory is a mess of moss and broken swords.

You'll get to sell stuff after ringing both bells, though it's not worth much, still good to clean out your inventory.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Zebrasectomy posted:

There's a merchant hidden in Undead Burg but I forget if he buys or just sells

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How are you supposed to fight the hydra? It snipes you if you come at it then at close range its shots home in and one shot you.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

How are you supposed to fight the hydra? It snipes you if you come at it then at close range its shots home in and one shot you.

If you get close enough he should attack you with his heads, which you can slice off one by one, though he may still sometimes shoot you still.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Zebrasectomy posted:

After Blightown. Don't get too excited, though, since most stuff goes for a pittance. You also have the option of buying a Bottomless Box from an early merchant and throwing your junk in there.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

RavenKrows posted:

So 360 guys, how's the game really handle online? I know the community is smaller than PS3 but is it so bad to where I shouldn't touch the game unless I just want singleplayer? I don't have a PS3 but always wanted to try out Demon souls. The thread sounds negative about the 360, but I can't find any one thing in particular to decide on.
Nothing wrong with the 360 version. There's always a few people waiting around to be summoned near a boss entrance or at the start of a dungeon and there's lots of messages from other players everywhere. Some have said the framerate is a tiny bit better than ps3 version, even (although I think it can still get really bad).

Scrooged
Feb 19, 2004

Truth, Juthtithe,
and the American Way

YorexTheMad posted:

After Blightown. Don't get too excited, though, since most stuff goes for a pittance. You also have the option of buying a Bottomless Box from an early merchant and throwing your junk in there.
Can anyone elaborate a bit on this? Where is this merchant at?

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

smuh posted:

Went ahead and joined the Gravelord covenant but how the hell do I use the Eyes of Death? My character won't do anything when I try. After some googling it seems other people haven't been able to use them either, so is this bugged or something?

You need to be in Human form to use them.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

RBA Starblade posted:

A decent shield + Endurance should be able to withstand its crazy head attacks. Bait that out, attack the necks while they're stuck. When he pulls back for his cannon attack, move forward so it lands behind you.

freeb0rn
Jan 22, 2005

traveling midget posted:

There's a merchant hidden in Undead Burg but I forget if he buys or just sells

AFAIK the only merchant who buys items is kingseeker frampt.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Scrooged posted:

Can anyone elaborate a bit on this? Where is this merchant at?

Firelink. You literally cannot miss him, as he's rather plot relevant.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

RavenKrows posted:

I'm getting irritated with it. I rarely see signs and when I do find and use one 80% of the time I get "summon failed."

I've gotten two characters to Anor Londo, spending as much time as possible in human form on the second character and I've only been invaded once when I went to farm the forest and I forgot I was in human mode.

On my second character I tried summoning for half an hour yesterday to help with the Anor Lando boss and every single summon failed.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Dragon stuff:

I just killed the poison dragon in the painted world easy as gently caress. Is there anyway to shift what I assume is his torso from the end of the bridge. Is there anything even over there?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

RavenKrows posted:

I can't comment on the co-op since I've never actually tried it, but the PvP is completely broken on the 360. In 45 hours with constant attempts to invade other players I've had a total of 6 successful invasions.

edit: and 5 of them were yesterday, when I spent two hours using the invasion item in the same spot while I watched a movie.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nigulus Rex posted:

Finally committed myself to fighting Sif. I killed him the first try. My shield could take anything he offered and I just stayed underneath him and hacked away.

Same; I one-shotted Sif by stumbling into this exact strategy. It's kind of disappointing, the number of bosses for which this strategy works. Then again, I'm pretty sure I'm overleveled (but undergeared) for most of the bosses I'm going up against lately.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Drox posted:

You'll find out after you ring the 2nd bell.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Nechronic posted:

I'm getting irritated with it. I rarely see signs and when I do find and use one 80% of the time I get "summon failed."

I've gotten two characters to Anor Londo, spending as much time as possible in human form on the second character and I've only been invaded once when I went to farm the forest and I forgot I was in human mode.

On my second character I tried summoning for half an hour yesterday to help with the Anor Lando boss and every single summon failed.

Try turning DMZ on for your console through your router, or forward the Xbox Live ports. It's peer to peer this time so that could have something to do with it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

RBA Starblade posted:

Bait and slice. All of its attacks are pretty easy to block, suprisingly. Hide near the seashore rock in the early fight until you can get a few heads off, the multibeams early will often hit you from the side and bypass your shield -- this is less risky when there are fewer heads spitting at you. Lock on to keep your shield facing incoming attacks.

Scrooged
Feb 19, 2004

Truth, Juthtithe,
and the American Way

Nechronic posted:

I noticed if I try to summon around 2-4 am, I have worse luck. Maybe its due to ping times? I can imagine the euros playing around this time.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

RavenKrows posted:

I'm on 360 and the online is pretty random. I find that if it takes too long for me to get summoned when I want to help others I just restart the game (it seems to connect you to other networks i.e. I get all new different messages people have left on the ground)

On the other hand, I've tried summoning others a handful of times and always get "summon failed"

Also, if you want to co op, make sure you are in a co op covenant. After I quit the Way of the White on my first character, he never gets summoned anymore.

As far as pvp goes, the only ones I have joined are the gravelords and the forest hunter.
I have no idea how the gravelord pvp is since I gave all my objects to the gravelord thinking he would give me a summoning stone. Turns out it doesn't work that way, and I don't have the patience right now to farm any more of the items that cause the curses.
As far as the forest hunter goes, as long as you are in human form and wearing the ring, you get summoned a lot.

Also, my characters are only around sl30 and I've never been invaded even though I spend a lot of time in human form. I also have never seen a vagrant, but I think thats just because people don't drop their worthless loot. I drop tons and tons of it, so I hope some of you are getting them.

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008

Phoix posted:

I can't comment on the co-op since I've never actually tried it, but the PvP is completely broken on the 360. In 45 hours with constant attempts to invade other players I've had a total of 6 successful invasions.

edit: and 5 of them were yesterday, when I spent two hours using the invasion item in the same spot while I watched a movie.

I appreciate all the comments, but do you think players' regions might be playing into the lag? I imagine someone on the US East coast would have a better time than anyone in Australia.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Sankis posted:

Try turning DMZ on for your console through your router, or forward the Xbox Live ports. It's peer to peer this time so that could have something to do with it.

Already done. :( I think I might just plug my router directly into my 360 next time I play to see if it improves things.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

RavenKrows posted:

I appreciate all the comments, but do you think players' regions might be playing into the lag? I imagine someone on the US East coast would have a better time than anyone in Australia.

I'm on the east coast. I guess I should mention every player I've been matched with has been pretty laggy. The multiplayer is just a huge bummer and if they don't fix it it'll be one of the biggest things marring a phenomenal game.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

RavenKrows posted:

It's hard to say with how the regions work. I've gotten numerous players from Japan already, and I'm US East.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I'm level 41 and I can't kill anything in the Tomb of Giants. These giant dog-man-skeletons kill me in three hits, and I can't really defend since I need to be using the torch to see more than my character. I think I'll come back a lot later.

E: Oh thank god, a black knight. Finally something I can kill with ease.

smuh fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 10, 2011

Phonics
Apr 6, 2009

by XyloJW
Second try ever on Ornstein and Smough and I take Mega-Ornstein down. games hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Nechronic posted:

This is from a million pages back but the first time I went in there someone put down "try holding with both hands." :haw:

I upvoted it.

Try a plunging attack

• Locked thread