Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Save Russian Jews posted:

Manto rashguards are pretty much the best investment you can make into BJJ gear and are well worth the price

no one asked, this is just an indisputable fact

link for purchase? I like my hayabusa one but I'm looking to get a new short sleeve after my last one tore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

BlindSite posted:

link for purchase? I like my hayabusa one but I'm looking to get a new short sleeve after my last one tore.

http://www.mantofight.com/

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

http://www.mantofight.com/

Cheers brah

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

For the mma historians out there,

If bones beats machida, has he had the best year of competition out of anyone in mma?

4 fights, 3 champions, all top 10 opponents, all finished (maybe)

I'm thinking that pride's tournaments might have forced someone to fight a lot of tough guys in short order, but I don't know anyone who could feasibly lay claim to a better year.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Mark Hunt winning two UFC matches in one year trumps that, i think

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Street Horrrsing posted:

For the mma historians out there,

If bones beats machida, has he had the best year of competition out of anyone in mma?

4 fights, 3 champions, all top 10 opponents, all finished (maybe)

I'm thinking that pride's tournaments might have forced someone to fight a lot of tough guys in short order, but I don't know anyone who could feasibly lay claim to a better year.

Maybe Shogun's middleweight GP run?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Simple question: What makes some fighters so good at knockouts?
I should phrase it better. I know guys like Andy Silva have amazing timing and punch placement. I know Shane Carwin is roughly as big as a truck. I know JDS is some sort of beautiful fusion of the two. However, take Forrest Griffin and Rampage, two guys in the same weight class, roughly the same size.
I know "motivated vs. unmotivated Rampage" is a myth (Fatherdog said so) yet Forrest is known for his work ethic and training. Why does a love tap from Rampage send people flying, yet a barrage of punches from Forrest seem to have far less effect? To be specific, even when Forrest gets to the inside, and is landing uppercuts and hooks, it takes a lot to get a knockdown. Is it technique? Is it genetics? I just ask because there's a couple of fighters who just seem to have vastly more power in their hands than others, regardless of the type of punch.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Technique, accuracy, mass/size, speed, and power. The latter 2 can have a genetic component, and being bigger means having more weight behind your punch.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
the "lucky" shot (aka the right circumstances) also factors in on knockouts/knockdowns from time to time. A guy could be charging in at full speed and just gets caught or he could be extremely gassed and an ordinary punch hurts him when he's off guard a bit. It makes it seem like the guy who wins has great knockout power but really the other guy just hosed up or is tired.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
/\/\/\ Yeah, I've noticed Silva picks that really well, he manages to hit people at the exact time they're really hoping not to be hit. Same with the time Joe Stevenson got knocked out by Danzig, though I think luck was a bigger factor there.

1st AD posted:

Technique, accuracy, mass/size, speed, and power. The latter 2 can have a genetic component, and being bigger means having more weight behind your punch.

I figured. That's why I picked Forrest and Rampage, since they're comparable in size. I don't know enough to tell, but I've heard both derided as not being particularly technical strikers, yet there's a huge difference in the result when they hit people.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 10, 2011

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I remember reading about different types of muscle tissue. Twitch fibers were supposed to generate more power even if they had the same mass as other muscle tissue, so two guys the same size could generate different amounts of power with the same hit. I don't remember if that ended up being a myth though.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Haraksha posted:

I remember reading about different types of muscle tissue. Twitch fibers were supposed to generate more power even if they had the same mass as other muscle tissue, so two guys the same size could generate different amounts of power with the same hit. I don't remember if that ended up being a myth though.

I think I know what you mean. White and red muscle fibres? One's explosive the other's for endurance.

On another thing, is there any reason the .gif and jpeg threads lapsed? Recent UFC events have had a lot of cool gif worthy moments.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Snowman_McK posted:

I think I know what you mean. White and red muscle fibres? One's explosive the other's for endurance.

On another thing, is there any reason the .gif and jpeg threads lapsed? Recent UFC events have had a lot of cool gif worthy moments.

The .gif thread started in SAS (I don't know about the jpeg thread) and, while it was there, fell off the first page really quickly; it was probably significantly far back when it was moved to PSP.

Save Russian Jews fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 10, 2011

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The .gif thread started in SAS (I don't know about the jpeg thread) and, while it was there, fell off the first page really quickly; it was probably significantly far back when it was moved to PSP.

The old ones got archived. Would there be any opposition to starting a new one? Either one of each or two separate ones?

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Snowman_McK posted:

The old ones got archived. Would there be any opposition to starting a new one? Either one of each or two separate ones?

No mma poster here is going to be sad with another mma thread that isn't just an unbelievably terrible idea.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I've seen a number of people say that Chael is no longer training with Team Quest Gresham. Who is he with now and when did he make the transition?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This may be a tricky question to answer, but one of the criticisms of the unified rules is that it favours wrestlers and does not allow head kicks to downed opponents. These are often quoted together, as if they tie together. Does anyone know the line of reasoning that gets you there? I mean, wrestlers are awesome at putting people on the ground, and if they're allowed to stomp and soccer kick, how is that going to work against them?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Snowman_McK posted:

This may be a tricky question to answer, but one of the criticisms of the unified rules is that it favours wrestlers and does not allow head kicks to downed opponents. These are often quoted together, as if they tie together. Does anyone know the line of reasoning that gets you there? I mean, wrestlers are awesome at putting people on the ground, and if they're allowed to stomp and soccer kick, how is that going to work against them?

People are retarded. The main idea of this is that knees to a grounded opponent would let you destroy a wrestler who's sitting on one knee clutching at your legs, Munoz style. Maybe there's something to that, but a) you're already allowed to knee the head of a wrestler shooting in on you and b) if knees to the head were allowed on the ground wrestlers would just take everybody down and knee them to death from side control.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Grifter posted:

I've seen a number of people say that Chael is no longer training with Team Quest Gresham. Who is he with now and when did he make the transition?

I don't know where he's training now but he made the transition when he started his camp for the Stann fight. Also he was training with the cesar gracie team before shields title shot.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Thermos H Christ posted:

People are retarded. The main idea of this is that knees to a grounded opponent would let you destroy a wrestler who's sitting on one knee clutching at your legs, Munoz style. Maybe there's something to that, but a) you're already allowed to knee the head of a wrestler shooting in on you and b) if knees to the head were allowed on the ground wrestlers would just take everybody down and knee them to death from side control.

Ah, I figured that would be it, or something similarly dumb. Thanks.
On a similar topic, you are allowed to kick/knee the body, right? Why do so few do it? The only ones that spring to mind (and remember, I'm someone who saw Jones fight twice and then forgot about it) are GSP/Serra and, very briefly, Daley/Diaz (though it was only one kick)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I don't train or anything, so I could be wrong, but I think a lot of people don't do it because it weakens their base. Throwing knees to the body could theoretically leave a fighter off balance to be swept or expose a leg allowing the guy on the bottom to transition to half guard.

I've wondered the same thing too and that was the only rationale I could come up with, but it may not be correct.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Snowman_McK posted:

Ah, I figured that would be it, or something similarly dumb. Thanks.
On a similar topic, you are allowed to kick/knee the body, right? Why do so few do it? The only ones that spring to mind (and remember, I'm someone who saw Jones fight twice and then forgot about it) are GSP/Serra and, very briefly, Daley/Diaz (though it was only one kick)

Kongo/Buentello ended via rear end knees iirc

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Kongo/Buentello ended via rear end knees iirc

rear end elbows, actually.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Haraksha posted:

I don't train or anything, so I could be wrong, but I think a lot of people don't do it because it weakens their base. Throwing knees to the body could theoretically leave a fighter off balance to be swept or expose a leg allowing the guy on the bottom to transition to half guard.

I've wondered the same thing too and that was the only rationale I could come up with, but it may not be correct.

From side control you need to stay night to their chest and depending on what you're working for you want your knees against your opponent or giving you leverage. Lifting yourself into a position to throw a knee from side control will give even a BJJ novice ample opportunity to get back to half or full guard.

From side control you'd be better off looking to stay heavy and drop elbows rather than knee to the body imo.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Is it legal to do a 12-to-6 elbow to the body from side control? I don't see anyone really going for those, but it seems like an obvious strike to go for if you're worried about giving up position.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
One thing I'd like to see more of is knees to the body of turtled opponents, probably because I hate it when fighters turtle. JBJ landed a loving brutal one on Shogun just before the end of their fight.

1st AD posted:

Is it legal to do a 12-to-6 elbow to the body from side control? I don't see anyone really going for those, but it seems like an obvious strike to go for if you're worried about giving up position.

Nope, 12-6 elbows are illegal from every position, regardless of where they land (although I guess you can always do 11-6 elbows). Dumbest rule by far.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 12, 2011

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Thermos H Christ posted:

Nope, 12-6 elbows are illegal from every position, regardless of where they land (although I guess you can always do 11-6 elbows). Dumbest rule by far.
I remember florian using 12-6 elbows from the bottom to cut the hell out of a couple people's heads. Am I remembering wrong?

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

fawker posted:

I remember florian using 12-6 elbows from the bottom to cut the hell out of a couple people's heads. Am I remembering wrong?

I thought they were legal from the bottom as well. They happen constantly. The most notable example probably being Sanchez/Guida.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
12-6 would be downwards. 6-12 is fine.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

Meat Recital posted:

12-6 would be downwards. 6-12 is fine.

What about 9-3 elbows?

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009
12-6 means ceiling to the floor, it has nothing to do with the fighter's position. It's pretty much impossible to execute a 12-6 elbow on your back.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Whoops, my bad.

Thats a stupid rear end rule.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Boregasm posted:

12-6 means ceiling to the floor, it has nothing to do with the fighter's position. It's pretty much impossible to execute a 12-6 elbow on your back.

This is correct, it's a retarded rule, Rogan points it out all the time. The buentello congo fight is a perfect example, Kongo got warned for throwing one, just adjusted the angle and it was fine.

IIRC it has something to do with the MMA going before the commission to set down the unified rules, 12-6 banned because they look really brutal more than anything else.

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009
Some commissioner or another saw a dude breaking bricks or wood or whatever with a 12-6 elbow and banned it because of that. That's the story I've always heard at least. I know knees to the head on the ground are banned because of Gan McGee.

Edit: I just realized that the 12-6 elbow story was perpetuated by Rogan during some event or another. According to John McCarthy the reason it's banned is because a doctor saw a fight where a dude 12-6 elbows his opponent in the back of the head and said he would never sanction a sport that allowed that strike.

Boregasm fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 12, 2011

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

BlindSite posted:

IIRC it has something to do with the MMA going before the commission to set down the unified rules, 12-6 banned because they look really brutal more than anything else.

It's because one of the commissioners saw one of those martial arts exhibitions on ESPN2 and saw guys breaking slabs of concrete with 12-6 elbows and decided that that was too dangerous for MMA.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
has that ever been proven or is that just a thing joe rogan thinks

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

has that ever been proven or is that just a thing joe rogan thinks

Boregasm posted:

According to John McCarthy the reason it's banned is because a doctor saw a fight where a dude 12-6 elbows his opponent in the back of the head and said he would never sanction a sport that allowed that strike.

the only accounts i've ever heard are rogan's and mccarthy's. i'd be much more inclined to believe mccarthy's version, although it's possible that neither of them are accurate. or hell, maybe they're both accurate. i'm sure more than one person was part of the debate over the rules and they may have had different reasons for supporting the same rule.

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA
The version I first saw:

quote:

McCarthy went on to explain why that particular elbow strike is disallowed. He said, “What it was, was when the Unified Rules were put together they took all the organizations. You had the UFC, Pride. You had the IFC. You had Hook N Shoot at the time. There were various organizations that all met together in New Jersey. Larry Hazzard is the one that put it together so he could clarify his rules. Marc Ratner was on a phone line for it, and they ended up having everyone sit there and try to come together with what they could be happy with. One of the things that happed was there was an IFC show that happened before that meeting occurred. There were a couple of fights, and because New Jersey wasn’t comfortable with Mixed Martial Arts at the time; there were a couple of fights that went on to change things as far as what they were going to permit and not permit. You have all these different organizations, and you have all these people with what they want to be able to do, so it’s tough to get people to agree on things. Finally, one of the things that was brought up is in one of the fights a fighter took another guy’s back and tried to sink in a choke. He couldn’t sink in the choke, so he started taking his hand and bringing it up and elbowing to the back of the guy’s head and neck. The doctor from New Jersey had a conniption about it. He said I will never ever pass something that allows that type of strike. That could be life threatening, and he started going into his thing, and so the one elbow they took out was that elbow, that type of position. The way that they wrote it up, you could interpret it a ton of ways, but the true position they were talking about was that hand coming up to twelve o’clock to six o’clock.”

It's all New Jersey's fault.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
What I don't understand is that shouldn't "no strikes to the back of the head" cover elbows to the back of the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It does, but you wouldn't be able to do the 12-6 elbows to the front or side of the head either.