Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

bobby2times posted:

so I joined the gravelord covenant and I've been trying to use my eyes of death, but everywhere I go the use item option is crossed off. I've also noticed my cracked red orbs are also like this. I'm able to lay orange and white signs down though. What the hell is going on?

You have to be alive to use them. Also the Eyes are kind of buggy at the moment and you may not be rewarded or even alerted when you kill a player with them, and cursed players may not be able to invade :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Is there any way to finely aim a bow in this game? I'm trying to snipe enemies, but the lock-on is to far away from them despite the fact they will happily lob an endless supply of fire bombs at me? :confused:

Also, for how realistic this game can be (with dragons and fireballs), why doesn't exploding fire bombs hurt ancient rotting undead cadavers? Besides my own. :mad:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
^^^ When you're 2handing the bow press L1 to manually aim.

Orcrez posted:

I'm new to this type of game.... but should I be breaking all the wooden crates or vases? Are there items in them or are they just there to take my frustration out on?

Generally no. Sometimes there are thing behind crates and stuff, but usually not. Items only drop from enemies. The one exception is sometimes you'll see a vase with a corpse inside. Break the vase and the corpse with flop out and sometimes have an item.

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010

Dear Watson posted:

I was cursed 7 or 8 times farming the frogs mainly because I became careless after I realized they didn't stack. I always had exactly 50% health when I respawned. It did not stack for me.

The guide has a disclaimer that things may change. The guide says nothing about the merchant that sells purge stones. It isn't quite up to date. Curse was nerfed pretty good. I'm glad too.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Transient Curse yourself, not frog curse. You get to keep all your HP! You can buy them from the lady hollow at the end of the super long hallway going to the Undead Burg (providing you unlocked the shortcut) for 4k souls.

User0015 posted:

Is there any way to finely aim a bow in this game? I'm trying to snipe enemies, but the lock-on is to far away from them despite the fact they will happily lob an endless supply of fire bombs at me? :confused:

Hit RB/R1, I believe. You cannot manually aim a crossbow.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
You can get all of the Twinkling Titanite and Purging Stones that you want once you've beaten the Crystal Cave boss. Just use his bonfire and farm the clams right before him, they drop both.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I break them all out of habit. I've never found anything in them(except the ones with bodies you can see) but sometimes they hide items behind them. Look for orange guidance signs from other players, they usually point out the items.

The Yellow King
Jul 18, 2001

The poster formerly unknown as Mr. Gybe

User0015 posted:

Also, for how realistic this game can be (with dragons and fireballs), why doesn't exploding fire bombs hurt ancient rotting undead cadavers? Besides my own. :mad:

There is a first person aiming mode, yes. I think it's L1 on the PS3? Dunno about the 360, but it's gotta be there.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Garin posted:

You can get all of the Twinkling Titanite and Purging Stones that you want once you've beaten the Crystal Cave boss. Just use his bonfire and farm the clams right before him, they drop both.

Yea really loving rarely and they're a bitch to kill. I really wanted to farm Twinklings because I wasted a bunch upgrading a not very good armor set, but after 30 min and only finding one TT I decided it wasn't worth it.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
How do I get out of the painted world? I killed the undead dragon, and my guide just says go to the bottom and through to Priscilla...except that that door is locked with a contraption, and I can't find the contraption.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Volitaire posted:

Yea really loving rarely and they're a bitch to kill. I really wanted to farm Twinklings because I wasted a bunch upgrading a not very good armor set, but after 30 min and only finding one TT I decided it wasn't worth it.
It says you can trade Snuggly for them.

quote:

Trade Snuggly a Bloodred moss clump for 1 piece, a purple moss clump for 1 piece, and a blooming purple moss clump for 2 pieces, Crystal Lizard drop, rare drop by Giant Clams in the Ash Lake
You can only do it once, though. I regret using a single TT on my sword, no matter how good the sword is. :smith:

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan

Volitaire posted:

Try using the crystal ring shield with a good weapon equipped. It's a one-shot for me and they drop them fairly regularly with the serpent ring as well.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

User0015 posted:

I know it's been answered already, but the bow is the ONLY ranged attack you can manually aim with. With the others (crossbow, magic, throwable items) you have to tilt your character to exactly face them (R3 helps you determine this) then tilt the camera up/down to the angle it needs to be. It's very imprecise and kind of annoying.

Nigulus Rex posted:

How do I get out of the painted world? I killed the undead dragon, and my guide just says go to the bottom and through to Priscilla...except that that door is locked with a contraption, and I can't find the contraption.

Wrong door. Other side of the bridge. Unless you're on the opposite side of the door (where the phalanxes are), in which case you can drop down from where you killed the dragon or find the switch.

Stele007 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 10, 2011

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Nigulus Rex posted:

I don't think you can get out till you get to the boss. Try going to the main courtyard with the phalanx type enemies. There should be a well or something you can climb down. You should find the thing that opens the door down there.

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!

Volitaire posted:

Do you have the serpents ring that increases the drop rate?

On my end finally got to the bonfire in Sen's Fortress as well as activating the shortcut. gently caress those tiny ledges and swinging blades. Now at least I wont be worrying about my lack of video game depth perception with them anymore.

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008
OH MY GOD gently caress YOU CAPRA DEMON YOU loving

Edit: Did I make some kind of mistake by choosing the anomaly guy at the beginning of the game. The naked one with all stats set to 11?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Nigulus Rex posted:

Check the underground area for a lever.

While you're in the Painted World, unhollow and go chill in the graveyard area to reunite with an old friend from Demon's Souls ;)

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Nigulus Rex posted:

There's a basement underneath the courtyard which has a switch you can turn to open the door. There are a couple different ways to get down: there's a ladder in one of the buildings on the left as you enter the courtyard, and there's a well with a ladder you can climb down.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Let me ask again before I leave the area: Does anyone know where the shotel is in Sen's Fortress? I feel like I've explored everything.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Elysiume posted:

It says you can trade Snuggly for them.
You can only do it once, though. I regret using a single TT on my sword, no matter how good the sword is. :smith:

Isn't that once per playthrough though?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Dave Grolsch posted:

There is a first person aiming mode, yes. I think it's L1 on the PS3? Dunno about the 360, but it's gotta be there.
Note that you can only first-person aim the bow. The crossbow, you can not, it only has from the hip or lock-on firing.

Anywho, I have a recommendation for new players. If you're getting to the Taurus Demon with 1 or 2 flasks at most - slow down. Stay at that bonfire in the middle of the Undead area, and just get used to how the enemies work there. Notice how easily you can separate the group of dudes at the end of the firebombed walkway (one of them starts running at you the second you even set foot on the walkway), figure out how to take how the spear guys consistently (you really need to riposte them, magic them, or spear/shield them right back), etc. You'll very quickly figure out the range at which enemies come running, which is important later to avoid bumbling into massive raping hordes of spear and sword/shield'ers.

It's a great region to just get used to how the game controls, and you're right near the merchant, which means you can stock up on bombs, get the repair kit, kit yourself out a bit (the merchant sells a spear and a decent shield, most notably - spear+shield will save you a LOT of grief), etc.

If you're not able to get to the Taurus Demon with at least 3-4 flasks remaining, you should probably stick to that area and practice a bit more before moving on. Those spear dudes only get nastier.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 10, 2011

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
^^^^^ The loving truth. You can also do what I ended up doing: Run like a maniac straight to the Taurus Demon bypassing every enemy on the way. I'm a rogue; running is my thing. It's also how I found out about jumping!

Dave Grolsch posted:

Do I need to have the string drawn before I go into aiming mode, or do you go into aiming mode first? I was holding RT (Xbox360) to draw, then slapping every button I could think of to enter first person mode.

Also, this game really needs to tell you that you can jump. I found out by randomly mashing dodge button while running from enemies.

User0015 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 10, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Someone summon me for Capra demon, I want to try fighting him again. So far I'm 2 for 3 on him; last time the host kept all of the enemies right at the door and sir demon destroyed me.

Last night I was talking to someone that I'd helped about rubbish, and he said that there was no way it was worthless. I agreed. Turns out you can trade it for something with Snuggly.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Hell Diver posted:

Let me ask again before I leave the area: Does anyone know where the shotel is in Sen's Fortress? I feel like I've explored everything.

I may be wrong, but I think the Shotel is near the first rolling boulder hallway. Climb to the top near the doorway where the snake mage stands, look off the cliff to your right, you should see an item you can drop down to. There's also a NPC down there if you haven't completed the dungeon yet.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Garin posted:

Try using the crystal ring shield with a good weapon equipped. It's a one-shot for me and they drop them fairly regularly with the serpent ring as well.

Ya know I've had this drat Moonlight soul forever, I guess its time I do something with it. I'll try that out see how it goes. I've got the drop rate ring, but I'd like to get the helmet too. I think you can only get it from mimics and cleaver guys, is there anywhere where these guys respawn?

Lagos
Mar 17, 2004

Hates Loud Noise
Saved up for Firestorm because I was curious. The 20 uses is a misnomer: It consumes one charge per pillar and will use 17 on the first cast. So it's basically one full cast and then one tiny one.

The main problem is the cast time on it is catastrophic. I'm not sure I can think of a situation which makes it useful. Anyone have experience with it?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So out of curiosity and goony sperging, I decided to take a look at how many stat points each character type starts with. I added them up, and subtracted a point for every character level above 1. I am thinking about creating a low level powerhouse for white phantoming, and was thinking about which character would be the best to do it with.

Warrior: 83
Knight: 82
Wanderer: 84
Thief: 82
Bandit: 83
Hunter: 83
Sorcerer: 80
Pyromancer: 84
Cleric: 83
Deprived: 83

When purely looking at total stats, Wanderers and Pyromancers come out on top. All of the classes are pretty close though, save for sorcerer. Poor sorcerer. Wanderer is probably a pretty good start for almost anybody. I still kind of like cleric too, mainly because you can buy a second heal right at the start, and have 10 heals after resting at any bonfire.

Hell Diver posted:

You know where you first find boulders, with the steel ring at the top? As you are going up that slope, you need to drop down to a little area on the right, about 3/4 of the way up. It is on a corpse.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 10, 2011

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Shalinor posted:

Anywho, I have a recommendation for new players. If you're getting to the Taurus Demon with 1 or 2 flasks at most - slow down. Stay at that bonfire in the middle of the Undead area, and just get used to how the enemies work there. Notice how easily you can separate the group of dudes at the end of the firebombed walkway (one of them starts running at you the second you even set foot on the walkway), figure out how to take how the spear guys consistently (you really need to riposte them, magic them, or spear/shield them right back), etc.

You can also kick them to stagger them, fantastic when they just circle around you doing bugger all. Just pratice kicking first, the timing can be iffy, and a regular attack will leave you wide open. It's also good practice for future block-happy enemies and this-is-sparta moments.

quote:

It's a great region to just get used to how the game controls, and you're right near the merchant, which means you can stock up on bombs, get the repair kit, kit yourself out a bit (the merchant sells a spear and a decent shield, most notably - spear+shield will save you a LOT of grief), etc.

Also, killing shield dudes increases the chance of them dropping one, and it's a great early-game shield.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Taurus demon is pretty easy if you have an okay weapon. A plunge attack will take off a massive chunk of his HP. Careful, though, because he will jump up onto that tower.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
In the forest, how many rolling kitties are there and do they respawn? I entered from the 20000K soul door if that makes a difference.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Filthy Monkey posted:

When purely looking at total stats, Wanderers and Pyromancers come out on top. All of the classes are pretty close though, save for sorcerer. Poor sorcerer. Wanderer is probably a pretty good start for almost anybody. I still kind of like cleric too, mainly because you can buy a second heal right at the start, and have 10 heals after resting at any bonfire.
Pyromancer seems like one of the best choices for people that like fun. It's like Wanderer, only you get to throw fireballs at people from the word go. I played Wanderer up to level 8-ish, restarted with Pyromancer, and am waaaay happier with my options in combat.

I'd almost say it's the single best choice for new players, given that the fireball lets you take out some of the more obnoxious enemies in a single hit, but I haven't tried any of the dudes that actually start with armor.

I would absolutely say Pyromancer is the best call if you're willing to stay in the Undead Burg a bit and grab up some decent armor before moving it.

EDIT: Oh, with one caveat. Also ditch that loving axe. It eats an obscene amount of stamina. Grab yourself a shortsword instead, they drop like candy in the region, and the merchant sells them too. Or a longsword, if any of the sword/shield hollow there care to oblige you with a drop.

EDIT:

MadJackMcJack posted:

Also, killing shield dudes increases the chance of them dropping one, and it's a great early-game shield.
Yeah, the shield that the spear guys there drops is awesome. It makes an awesome noise when you deflect attacks, and it's just plain great too. It's enough that you can actually start to soak the black knight's hits, never even mind how it does in general combat.

EDIT3: I really wonder how much of the lack of usage of the comment system is just people having no idea that you have to buy the orange soap stone, or even then, understanding how the system works. There is zero tutorial on it. There isn't much more on the multiplayer system. Really, their entire integration of MP sucks... the base systems seem cool enough, but they don't have anywhere near enough tutorial around them.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 10, 2011

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Cleric is pretty great for a new player, as the Mace hits surprisingly hard and having five extra Heals out of the gate can take a lot of headache out of learning the ropes.

Knight and Thief get docked points for their starting equipment, maybe? Don't know what's up with Sorcerer.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Where do I get a falchion?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I decided to start over and in 4 hours I've caught up to my first character's 12 hour game, sans being cursed. Is it worth reviving and kindling the depths bonfire?

Sostratos
Jun 28, 2004
I just checked the pyromancer trainer, turns out he upgrades the Pyromancer Flame only. I need to ascend my regular +5 flame weapon to +6, but I have no idea how.

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

Brian Fellows posted:

In the forest, how many rolling kitties are there and do they respawn? I entered from the 20000K soul door if that makes a difference.

3 and no, they do not respawn.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

User0015 posted:

^^^^^ The loving truth. You can also do what I ended up doing: Run like a maniac straight to the Taurus Demon bypassing every enemy on the way. I'm a rogue; running is my thing. It's also how I found out about jumping!

Do I need to have the string drawn before I go into aiming mode, or do you go into aiming mode first? I was holding RT (Xbox360) to draw, then slapping every button I could think of to enter first person mode.

Also, this game really needs to tell you that you can jump. I found out by randomly mashing dodge button while running from enemies.

Use the bow 2handed(press Y with it out) and you can enter aiming mode with it.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

After beating Bed of Chaos I'm feeling like I'm basically done with the game. Everything past Anor Londo has felt really lazy and just generally not fun.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Anyone within range of SL 49 on the 360 that feels up to helping me with S&O in Londo? :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Reacean posted:

3 and no, they do not respawn.
It is a shame too, because those catbears are loving terrifying. They are a great enemy.

• Locked thread