Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I accidentally have two ED-Es... I went to LR to sell things like I usually do, but I haven't finished it yet, only that first building I cleared at level 1 so I could get access to the commissary.

Anyway, I figured gently caress walking back to the door and used a mod I have installed that has a mark/recall feature and recalled back to the NV Bounties shack. Then I noticed that LR ED-E was still with me. Then I fast traveled to go pick up the original one... and now they are both on my team. :black101:

I wonder how bad LR will poo poo itself without him there if I continue it without putting him back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Three things about Dead Money:

1. Don't follow the arrow, except in a general sense. It was set up deliberately to reward people who don't just follow the arrow blindly and the area is really easy to navigate if you just take some time to explore.

2. DM is better mechanically at low levels before you have everything maxed and you have very few HP. Unfortunately you can't change this.

3. DM is better in story terms before OWB so two of the characters and the background to the Sierra Madre aren't well known to you. Unfortunately you can't change this either.

1. I never do anyway; I explore every nook and cranny always.
2. Yeah, I gathered. OWB gave me way more levels than I imagined.
3. Luckily I skipped most of Elijah and Christine's logs and such in OWB. And chronologically, isn't OWB leading to Dead Money anyway? I mean, this way you follow the characters' path. I didn't really pick up anything from OWB that can be classified as spoiling Dead Money. You know about Elijah anyway if you went around the Mojave anyway. And I spoil myself always by reading too much articles on the wiki. :(

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Chronological order isn't always the best for storytelling; anything that has any sort of twist or reveal isn't going to work like that. Imagine Memento in the right order, or following Spacey from before the start of The Usual Suspects.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Chronological order isn't always the best for storytelling; anything that has any sort of twist or reveal isn't going to work like that. Imagine Memento in the right order, or following Spacey from before the start of The Usual Suspects.

This is why I dislike Bethesda's general approach to storytelling. Set a sequel too far ahead of the previous games? Now you have to shoehorn everything into the current setting, even if it doesn't make sense chronologically speaking.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

RIP Roxie :(

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
One of the things that always bothered me is how, when exploring buildings, you would find massive piles of shattered concrete and rebar. Then you look around, and the walls and ceiling of the entire hallway are pristine aside from a few pockmarks. Where did all that rubble come from? It's less noticeable in New Vegas than in Fallout 3.

And Lonesome Road, jesus. That's what it I would picture the ruins of Washington DC to have looked like shortly after the bombs fell; it is fantastic at making it look like the destroyed remnants of a large urban area.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This is why I dislike Bethesda's general approach to storytelling. Set a sequel too far ahead of the previous games? Now you have to shoehorn everything into the current setting, even if it doesn't make sense chronologically speaking.

Fallout 3 would have worked far, far better if you set it 9 years after the bombs fell, the BoS was instead remnant Pentagon Security Forces that had rebelled against the Enclave, Enclave was Enclave, and Project Purity was about scrubbing radiation from the wasteland rather than just from the water.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

randombattle posted:

It's like everyone in Washington is a retarded monkey who doesn't understand how to rebuild things.

American Politics :911:

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

AlmightyBob posted:

RIP Roxie :(

Rebuild her.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

True. Since we're citing examples, I'll use it as an excuse to complain about Double Indemnity and how it revealed the ending at the beginning... talk about taking away the suspense. Sunset Boulevard, also, although I thought it was still an enjoyable movie.

Omnicarus posted:

Fallout 3 would have worked far, far better if you set it 9 years after the bombs fell, the BoS was instead remnant Pentagon Security Forces that had rebelled against the Enclave, Enclave was Enclave, and Project Purity was about scrubbing radiation from the wasteland rather than just from the water.

I would be happy with the next Fallout game being set relatively soon after the nuclear holocaust.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Yeah it'd be nice if you could go further out East and find more hellhole nobody's colonized yet, to sorta contrast with the hosed but relatively tolerable NCR holdings and maybe give some in-world basis for why anyone would voluntarily back the Legion ever. If nothing else it'd mean I wasn't chronically running out of stuff to fight at the same point I become really able to really feed and maintain top-tier gear. :(

Oh man a Fallout where you have to build and manage a town and keep it surviving would actually be kind of cool.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

CommanderCoffee posted:

Rebuild her.

I tried and it said "Restocking" and didn't do anything.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Omnicarus posted:

Making Project Purity pretty much anything else would have probably made the endgame more sensical. The big sinister conquest scheme the high-tech baddies come up with is to... poison the already lethally radioactive water?

The whole game's set in the general area that's pretty much the prototype for the Enclave anyway, it's a case where the real gameworld actually underemphasizes the crazy science fiction bullshit that's really there. There's entire secret cities in the outlying DC area. The decision to make the DC CoG forces a couple dudes living under a rock with a scaled-back version of the same scheme some inbred jerks on an oil rig in the middle of nowhere already came up with is just bizarre.

Yodzilla posted:

Oh man a Fallout where you have to build and manage a town and keep it surviving would actually be kind of cool.

Wasteland Defense and that Bison Steve mod linked a couple pages back seem like solid attempts at that, I guess the problem is keeping the threats constantly fresh and looming (and hopefully not in an 'endless waves of raiders go mow them down' kinda way). Something where you also have to deal with Legion infiltrators and Crimson Caravan extortion and the general bullshit Mr. House has to put up with would be pretty rad.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 10, 2011

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

randombattle posted:

Honestly Fallout 3's aesthetic would make infinitely more sense if it was set not too far after the bombs fell. The whole everything is hella lovely and there's garbage everywhere even in the couple cities that are also made out of garbage. It all just screams struggling to rebuild society.
My personal canon is that DC was too irradiated to live near until it cleared out a few decades before Fallout 3, and everyone living there now is a relatively recent refugee from somewhere else.

I know this is explicitly contradicted in Megaton's backstory, but who cares.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Eiba posted:

My personal canon is that DC was too irradiated to live near until it cleared out a few decades before Fallout 3, and everyone living there now is a relatively recent refugee from somewhere else.

I know this is explicitly contradicted in Megaton's backstory, but who cares.

Agreed. You'd think that the DC area would be like The Glow from the first Fallout.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Honest Hearts - > I punched a Ghost Bear to death with a powerfist while high on tribal acid/meth. I think that alone is worth the price of admission

Solus fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 10, 2011

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Solus posted:

Old World Blues - > I punched a Ghost Bear to death with a powerfist while high on tribal acid/meth. I think that alone is worth the price of admission

That was in Honest Hearts.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Dead Money - > I found the Plasma Axe to be really effective on the cyberdogs.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I have dozens of games in my backlog, a lot of titles that I want to play are being released soon, and yet the only thing I can think about playing is another New Vegas run.

drat you Rope Kid and Obsidian for making one of my favorite games of all time :argh:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Lonesome Road -> This crazy mutant keeps saying how the air tastes like copper.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Honest Hearts - > Found Ulysses; punched his head clean off. :clint:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
It's great that F3 played on the other side of the US and nothing really interesting happened during the plot, so we can just forget about the plot and write it off as a fun game for it's time and move in with NV's plot.

I would lovelovelove a settlers/anno-type game set just after the war, with you as a control-vault overseer, opens 10 years after the bombs drop, and go build up a society. Like Vault 8 in Fallout 2. Or one where you can pick a starting Vault, like the control vault is easy-mode, and you can also start with a necropolis-like vault for hard mode or something. Would be pretty awesome! It would play basically like this zombie-apocalypse flash game: http://www.kongregate.com/games/sarahnorthway/rebuild

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.
Courier's Stash -> Where can I buy the Katana?

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making

CommanderCoffee posted:

Courier's Stash -> Where can I buy the Katana?

Is the Katana in the Couriers Stash? I thought it was only part of GRA. I only have GRA and I can buy it off mick or Ralph, whichever is the gun guy!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pogue_Mahone posted:

Is the Katana in the Couriers Stash? I thought it was only part of GRA. I only have GRA and I can buy it off mick or Ralph, whichever is the gun guy!

I never even knew about Mick and Ralph's, they should have hired a kid to advertise them or something. Also I'm hungry, thirsty and HOR-NEE :bigtran:, but where can I go to do something about it, dammit? WHERE!?!

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I never even knew about Mick and Ralph's, they should have hired a kid to advertise them or something. Also I'm hungry, thirsty and HOR-NEE :bigtran:, but where can I go to do something about it, dammit? WHERE!?!

The Atomic Wrangler's got you covered!

So I have HH, OWB, and LR. I played through HH and disliked it. If I disliked that, would I like DM? I get some money at the beginning of next month, and I'm trying to choose what to buy with my fun budget. Is DM a must-have dlc?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

VisAbsoluta posted:

I have dozens of games in my backlog, a lot of titles that I want to play are being released soon, and yet the only thing I can think about playing is another New Vegas run.

I'm having this exact same problem. Still gotta finish Dead Island, still want Dark Souls, but right now all I can think about is how my next NV character is gonna be a young guy with 10 Luck named Nick Pappagiorgio.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Bash Ironfist posted:

So I have HH, OWB, and LR. I played through HH and disliked it. If I disliked that, would I like DM? I get some money at the beginning of next month, and I'm trying to choose what to buy with my fun budget. Is DM a must-have dlc?

If you like difficult DLCs where you're stripped of weapons and armor and faced up against tough enemies and traps out the rear end, you'll like DM. It rewards slow and cautious gameplay and run-and-gunning will mostly get you killed.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Bash Ironfist posted:

I disliked HH and loved DM. Completely different feel. It's very unique. DM is basically survival horror + Bioshock, with a lot of atmosphere and some great writing. It's very challenging in a way that Fallout usually isn't. If that sounds intriguing to you then go for it.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Bash Ironfist posted:

Dead Money is by far the most polarizing DLC. Some people love it, and some people hate it. I consider it be the best of the DLC by a good margin.

I can tell you that it's almost as different from Honest Hearts as it can be. If you like the type of Fallout experience where you have to scrounge for every bullet and stimpack and the environment is as much a hazard as the enemies, it might be for you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bash Ironfist posted:

Anyone else avoid that area very carefully because they don't want to have to kill the pretty chill bouncer at The Silver Rush? I really liked him, then as a consequence of Cass' personal quest he will now try to kill me on sight and I have to keep my companions away from him because they'll kill him in a heartbeat.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Anyone else avoid that area very carefully because they don't want to have to kill the pretty chill bouncer at The Silver Rush? I really liked him, then as a consequence of Cass' personal quest he will now try to kill me on sight and I have to keep my companions away from him because they'll kill him in a heartbeat.

I usually shoot him in his face before talking to him. Then I give his stuff to cass.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:smith:

His employers are psychos, his co-workers are assholes, but he's a'ight.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Ddraig posted:

American Politics :911:

No I meant all the people living there now. All the politicians would be nuclear skeleton bones.

Speaking of DLC I just did HH last night and I'm going through OWB now. I really liked parts of HH like the lore with the ranger stuck in the valley. I only found about half of his logs so I never found out why he was there or why he never left but hearing him talk about the vault opening and the random bands of people moving through was really awesome. What was that guys deal? Where did he go and why was he there?

I'm really liking OWB so far it's hella crazy and poo poo. Bunch of crazy brains hopped up on way too many mentats.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I just let the bomber in, problem (and store) solved :c00l:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

randombattle posted:

No I meant all the people living there now. All the politicians would be nuclear skeleton bones.

Speaking of DLC I just did HH last night and I'm going through OWB now. I really liked parts of HH like the lore with the ranger stuck in the valley. I only found about half of his logs so I never found out why he was there or why he never left but hearing him talk about the vault opening and the random bands of people moving through was really awesome. What was that guys deal? Where did he go and why was he there?

I'm really liking OWB so far it's hella crazy and poo poo. Bunch of crazy brains hopped up on way too many mentats.

Save it for a replay, it'll be more rewarding. If you really want to know: He was returning home after military service (iirc?) when the nukes went off, EMPing his car. He could see that the city where his family lived was completely vapourized. Decades later he did get a chance to go back, but there was nothing left that he could recognize, so he returned to the only home he had, Zion.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

randombattle posted:

I really liked parts of HH like the lore with the ranger stuck in the valley. I only found about half of his logs so I never found out why he was there or why he never left but hearing him talk about the vault opening and the random bands of people moving through was really awesome. What was that guys deal? Where did he go and why was he there?
It's worth reading all of the logs in order.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Randall_Clark_terminal_entries

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I just let the bomber in, problem (and store) solved :c00l:

I wish I'd done that, I felt so bad when I read the note on his body.

randombattle posted:

Oh man, it's the best part of the DLC and throws the options Joshua and Daniel offer you into an entirely new light. Basically, he was a ranger who realized the bombs were coming down and went and hid in Zion. He "abandoned" his family to do so, even though he knew there was absolutely no chance of them surviving or him "saving" them if he had gone into the city where they lived when he saw the bombs coming. He lives a pretty miserable hermit lifestyle in Zion for awhile, but then people start coming to the valley both good and bad. He kills some who are clearly slavers, and falls in love with one of the women and gets her pregnant, but she and the kid die during birth. He reverts back to his hermit lifestyle, but then some kids show up alone in the valley, having escaped from a weird "school" where it seems like they were tortured. He slowly begins guiding them from afar to help them survive, coming to think of them as his children, while they grow to think of him as a kind of God - never seen but always offering aid when needed and helping to show them the way. Eventually old age catches up with him and he realizes he is going to die, and that letting them see him as the pathetic old man he really is will gently caress with their heads too much (and admits that much of this is his own pride). So he leaves a note for them telling them that he is proud of them, and that they've reached a point where they don't need him anymore, so while he will continue to watch over them, he will no longer directly intervene in their lives. He tells them to be good to each other, to fight to defend what is theirs but not to seek out war, and that he loves them. Then he climbs up to the highest point in the valley, records his last log and dies.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Hannibal Smith posted:

Dead Money is by far the most polarizing DLC. Some people love it, and some people hate it. I consider it be the best of the DLC by a good margin.

I can tell you that it's almost as different from Honest Hearts as it can be. If you like the type of Fallout experience where you have to scrounge for every bullet and stimpack and the environment is as much a hazard as the enemies, it might be for you.

I'll begrudgingly admit that I love Dead Money. The gameplay mechanics are complete bullshit, but not without reason so it's okay. The atmosphere and characters are really good though, so that more than makes up for any annoying parts.

On the subject, how frustrating is Dead Money on Hardcore mode? From the loading screens, it's implied that not only are your hunger and dehydration a concern, but your health actually drains over time. I'm not sure I'd want to put up with that on a Hardcore run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Tewratomeh posted:

I'll begrudgingly admit that I love Dead Money. The gameplay mechanics are complete bullshit, but not without reason so it's okay. The atmosphere and characters are really good though, so that more than makes up for any annoying parts.

On the subject, how frustrating is Dead Money on Hardcore mode? From the loading screens, it's implied that not only are your hunger and dehydration a concern, but your health actually drains over time. I'm not sure I'd want to put up with that on a Hardcore run.

It's really not bad. I played Dead Money Hardcore, underleveled, with Project Nevada and all of the loot lists at ~10% of what they are by default. It was pretty tense and fun.

EDIT: I don't think the fog can actually kill you...it just seems to whittle your health down to 10 HP or so. The thick obstacle clouds still kill, but I've never died by simply being outside for too long.