Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kem Rixen
Aug 6, 2007

With this turnip I am become death, the destroyer of worlds!

communism works posted:

It's great how joking about the fact everyone on the Paradox forums are pigheaded nationalists went right over everyone's heads on their board.

My favorite response in that thread is this one:

"Well it was all obviously just fun and games until you got to the last pic with Africa where you suddenly started to be serious to insult the whole continent."

Some of the people on that forum are the absolute worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Pakled posted:

It detects your country through your system settings and gives that country all the bonuses plus cores on all the provinces of the country you're playing as punishment for being a self-hating [INSERT NATIONALITY HERE].

So what happens if you play a country that wasn't independent during the time frame? I don't want Swedes getting any bonuses from my superior Finnish culture! :mad:

Jabu
Feb 11, 2004

There are no heroes left in man

Lord Hypnostache posted:

So what happens if you play a country that wasn't independent during the time frame? I don't want Swedes getting any bonuses from my superior Finnish culture! :mad:
They already get the Finnish Cavalry decision, which for some reason makes cavalry cheaper (total bullshit, it should add +3 shock and +20% discipline instead).

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Tomn posted:

A little late, but side note about the Modernizers - I'm pretty sure what caused the massive backlash against them was their relatively pacifistic policies in the middle of a war, which made them unable to raise the military budget or new regiments or mobilize or SOMETHING, but it directly crippled the Reich's war machine in the middle of a desperate fight.

The funny thing, though, is that it wasn't their fault - apparently whatever it was that kept them from being able to do whatever it was was a bug, not a feature of their policies. And yet, from now unto forever, they will be remembered as "Those guys what didn't want us to have soldiers in the middle of a war."

It was the inability to recover manpower by promoting pops to soldiers. As an anti-war party, the Modernizers should have been able to do that during wartime, as opposed to pacifist parties, which can't at all. Some game bug was preventing it, however.

They also were limiting our military spending slider, which affects manpower and leadership growth iirc.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Finland isn't a country, its a Swedish province.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Wiz posted:

Finland isn't a country, its a Swedish province.

Your mod is a sham. It has no Flanders so I decided to conquer the world as Navarra, but Aragon arrived before I got asked if it was my home country! (it is not, but still!)

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The best thing about Hohenverse was a Finnish independence from since like 1400's.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

DarkCrawler posted:

The best thing about Hohenverse was a Finnish independence from since like 1400's.

Finns were actually independent from much further back than that since they were never conquered. They formed a pagan kingdom around 1100 and were in fact independent throughout the rest of the LP.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Even better!

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Wiz posted:

Finns were actually independent from much further back than that since they were never conquered. They formed a pagan kingdom around 1100 and were in fact independent throughout the rest of the LP.
It's an interesting junction, because the only reason irl why Finland spent so much time as part of Sweden was because the Finns were christianised by the Swedes around that time. Take that single event out, and you have an independent Finnish cultural entity.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Even better, the Finns absolutely destroyed the mongols thus saving all of Eastern Europe and Russia, then went home and got down to the business of tolerating the gently caress out of everyone for the next half a millennium.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Dibujante posted:

It's an interesting junction, because the only reason irl why Finland spent so much time as part of Sweden was because the Finns were christianised by the Swedes around that time. Take that single event out, and you have an independent Finnish cultural entity.

The "crusade" was simply a religious justification for the Swedish conquest, so what you're saying is that the only reason why Finland was a part of Sweden was because Sweden conquered it...

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

farraday posted:

Even better, the Finns absolutely destroyed the mongols thus saving all of Eastern Europe and Russia, then went home and got down to the business of tolerating the gently caress out of everyone for the next half a millennium.

Yeah, after the glorious victories against the Golden Horde I don't think Finland participated in any wars...

Ras Het posted:

The "crusade" was simply a religious justification for the Swedish conquest, so what you're saying is that the only reason why Finland was a part of Sweden was because Sweden conquered it...

Yeah, Finland being an unified kingdom with a very good defensive army, plus Sweden being busy unifying Scandinavia are the bigger reasons IMO.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
The best thing about Finland in the Hohenverse was the choice to create a Finno-Russian Empire.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
Didn't they stay Pagan through the 1800's or more?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nerokerubina posted:

Didn't they stay Pagan through the 1800's or more?

They converted to Protestantism in 1838, they still had pagan minorities at the end of Vicky.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chapter 20: Leadership (1560 - 1570)

Armenia wages yet another war on Byzantium in 1560, seizing the province of Thracesia.

This defeat triggers a coup, as a Byzantine general marches on Constantinople and seizes the throne.

In Azerbaijan, Muhammad is doing a miserable job at leading Azerbaijan, somehow succeeding in neglecting every area of statecraft at once.

Relations with Morocco, too, continue to plummet.

His only meaningful contribution to the country is the establishment of counting-houses to improve toll incomes on goods.

The western nations continue their explorations of the world, with news of their discoveries occasionally making their way to Tabriz. In 1563, rumor speaks of the Portugese discovery of a large island chain off the coast of China.

In 1565, the territories of Georgia and Yerevan are fully integrated into Azerbaijan, bringing an end to the Georgian separatist revolts and improving the country's administration and tax income substantially.

Crown Prince Murad falls off his horse and breaks his neck while hunting in the mountains in 1567. Muhammad is reportedly heartbroken over the loss of his brother, and as he has no sons, the new heir is his young cousin Nasir.

Mere weeks after the passing of Murad, Muhammad contracts food poisoning while visiting the manor of Aydogdu Ansari, an influential noble serving in the Sultan's council. He passes away the same day, and Aydogdu quickly moves to the palace, securing the person of Crown Prince Nasir and protecting him from would-be plotters who might try to control the young heir. Morocco, whose relations with their Azerbaijani Suzerain had already reached nadir, declare independence and elect their own ruler.

He assembles a regency council from the most able members of the Shura, many of which were openly opposed to Muhammad's religious policies. The restrictive laws created by Muhammad are revoked, and the regency council gets to work, enacting a flurry of administrative and military reforms.

Cannons have played a very limited role in Azerbaijan's military so far, being used only to defend fortified positions, but the council begins importing Russian cannons of a lighter field piece variant that can be moved along with an army and used against the walls of enemy cities.

A separate army force is created to deploy these new weapons, intended to follow behind the main armies and handle the work of besieging enemy cities.

The next reform enacted by the council is the abolition of serfdom, ending completely the practice of tying peasants to their lands. Though there is some resistance, most nobles in Azerbaijan have already shifted to a system of tenant farmers, and the reform is passed with little fuss.

The council also acheives success on the diplomatic front, succeeding in making the Bey of Erzerum swear an oath of vassalage to Crown Prince Nasir.

As the Najjar sultans grow weaker and less able, the power of the bureaucrats, the advisors and the Shura continues to increase.

Is this what the future of Azerbaijan's leadership will look like?

Wiz fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 11, 2011

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Wiz posted:

I don't see any problem with that.

iLurk
Jul 25, 2007

Who wants to get PREGNANT?!?

Talas posted:

I don't see any problem with that.

I agree. In less then 3(?) years, the Regency Council has done more then our last Ruler did in (however long he was alive for).

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

All for turning Azerbaijan into a republic first chance we get say aye.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Wiz posted:

As the Najjir sultans grow weaker and less able, the power of the bureaucrats, the advisors and the Shura continues to increase.

Probably if we have more Sultans like Sultan Mohammad the Incompetent.

If you want to know the future of Azerbaijan imagine a bureaucrat stamping down on a legislative paper forever.

Persia seems to have taken Basra and the Mughals seem to be on the rise, so that's good. Syria has also expanded, but that is not as good as their borders are ugly for some reason unless they try to unify Arabia. Which would be cool.

Alas poor Inca, we knew you not well.

Also Sameland seems to be doing pretty drat well for a nation we called doomed.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Rejected Fate posted:

Also Sameland seems to be doing pretty drat well for a nation we called doomed.

The Norwegian forces did not stand a chance against the dreaded reindeer cavalry charge.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Cherokee expansion! Maybe they'll survive?

Are all the Sami provinces ethnically Sami?

Still no resolution in China or Japan.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

i81icu812 posted:

Cherokee expansion! Maybe they'll survive?

Are all the Sami provinces ethnically Sami?

Still no resolution in China or Japan.

They have three provinces, two of which are Sami and one of which is Norwegian (they DOWed Norway while Norway was busy losing a war to Sweden, and stole a province from them that way).

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Kavak posted:

Aye!

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Kavak posted:

Aye.

Go Sameland! I hope they manage to stay a country against all the odds. They'd be the little Country That Could. :unsmith:

Wiz, were you trying to piss off Morocco there? Or just playing in character for the useless sultan?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Well, I was playing in character but I also thought inheriting Morocco would end up with us controlling an incredibly dumb-looking empire.

The events happened on their own though, I just didn't do anything to fix relations.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Southamerica looks lovely

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Kavak posted:

I concur wholeheartedly with your assessment of the situation, sir.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Looks like the Cherokee are fighting the local natives, not the British.

Here's hoping for a healthy North American Native nation with British neighbours, also known as having your cake and eating it too.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I like how Bulgaria and Armenia decided to just gently caress the Roman Empire and split it in half between them. I wonder if we'll end up with a clean Anatolia/Europe split?

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
I'd think that some kind of ambitious money lending family like the Medici would prosper in this kind of environment. I'm going to continue to call for a Azerbaijani renaissance. :colbert:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I was just thinking about this, and was wondering how easy it would be to add a new mechanic to the mod for the AIs and people that aren't playing in the Western Tech-sphere: National Competition.

Basically, the mod would look for areas of "Balkanization", and apply a bonus modifer to research for the nations in those areas. China and the East would be a good example based on the current map.

The logical idea is that since there are a number of semi-stable states all vying for position in what should be a larger country, the rulers of those states would take advantage of whatever advantages they have available to them, and maybe even by luring artisans and intellectuals from other courts. Yeah, it's silly, but it would allow for slightly stronger Eastern AI, and we might get something as awesome as Wu colonizing the east coast of Africa, or maybe even the New World!

(And yeah, this is inspired by the last chapter of Guns, Germs, and Steel, one of those books that's almost unavoidable in these kinds of threads)

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
So it seems like Russia is colonizing Siberia around Qurighar. Good to see that they are smart enough not to gently caress with the wolf. :colbert:

Triskelli posted:

I was just thinking about this, and was wondering how easy it would be to add a new mechanic to the mod for the AIs and people that aren't playing in the Western Tech-sphere: National Competition.

Basically, the mod would look for areas of "Balkanization", and apply a bonus modifer to research for the nations in those areas. China and the East would be a good example based on the current map.

The logical idea is that since there are a number of semi-stable states all vying for position in what should be a larger country, the rulers of those states would take advantage of whatever advantages they have available to them, and maybe even by luring artisans and intellectuals from other courts. Yeah, it's silly, but it would allow for slightly stronger Eastern AI, and we might get something as awesome as Wu colonizing the east coast of Africa, or maybe even the New World!

(And yeah, this is inspired by the last chapter of Guns, Germs, and Steel, one of those books that's almost unavoidable in these kinds of threads)

Because if there is one thing the Balkans is known for, it's its technological innovation.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Bring back the Ildeguzids! Scour the land until we find one!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Proposition Joe posted:

Because if there is one thing the Balkans is known for, it's its technological innovation.

Okay, not exactly the best choice of words.

It doesn't have to bring the tech level all the way up to the Western Group, just a mild buff to research. Also, it would be based on cultural groups to establish if an area is a "nation" or not: The Balkan states have a great deal of different cultures, so they wouldn't receive a benefit. I think this would be most effective in these kinds of Mega-LPs, where the game being played can be extremely different from the OTL.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Kavak posted:

Aye, again I'm still hoping we can become the Switzerland of the Middle East, competent military, robust economy, great science and a wonderful democracy........

I really have to do a Switzerland lp one of these days.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Triskelli posted:

So you are basically proposing to give bonuses to civil war plagued regions?

Besides, I don't think China and Japan are supposed to be capable of becoming imperial powers.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
If you want weird New World things like a surviving native nation and Chinese colonization of America play Victoria 2 Divergences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I really have to do a Switzerland lp one of these days.

Expansion isn't very swiss though. You'd basically just have to invade everyone for all the ducatz, and invest them in your technology.

More paradox LP's is always good though, so get on it. I finally got around to buying Httt :)

• Locked thread