Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lukeycoon posted:

As someone who pumped Endurance then Strength and used a Lightning Spear as my only weapon, the only real benefit from Strength was being able to use the best Greatshield in the game(34 STR).

I didn't know that you could lower Pavel's Shield's 50 STR requirement to 36.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Volitaire posted:

You only have till you finish the belltower boss to kill him. Otherwise he'll escape himself. He can be pretty hard too, so watch out. Even if you die though, he'll wait there patiently for you to come back so no worries there.

Always give them embers when they ask, that's their only purpose.
Oh, I can't kill him after I kill the gargoyles?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Elysiume posted:

You can. He sits around in front of the fire keeper for quite a while.

vvv: That's very possible. You might have to go up to the belltower in the church and abandon your old covenant there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can't join the gravelord covenant if I already joined another one can I.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Eej posted:

Tell me more about this shield. I've been pumping strength since the start, rightly or wrongly.

Lukeycoon
Nov 16, 2007

Eej posted:

I used the Sword Wolf boss soul to make a Greatshield with 88 Stability. Four more than Pavel's and 10 less weight.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Tamagod Sushi posted:

So I've just browsed the DarlSouls Wiki on stats and apparently Strength just increases damage and swing speed. Would it be better to just pump the rest of my levels in Endurance, Dexterity and Viality?
I'm not even completely convinced that strength increases swing speed. I would like to see some hard verification on that, as there seem to be a lot of rumors going on with the details of the game at the moment. 34 strength seems like the highest anybody would reasonably go, for the wolf's shield. Most people would probably be fine with 16.

NoneSuch posted:

That stuff must be trackable. I really hope they fix it and come down hard on the glitchers.
I hope so, but I doubt it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Elysiume posted:

No you can, but he'll be at Firelink. The point of no return is when you enter the Depths. If he's still alive at that point then he'll kill the Firekeeper.

E: err ya shoulda worded the other post better. Meant that you have until you beat the gargoyles before he escapes.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Filthy Monkey posted:

I hope so, but I doubt it.
Well they have leaderboards, so you might assume that characters that are like 5 or 10 hours of playtime and have 10billion souls would hopefully be easy to spot.

Lukeycoon
Nov 16, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I can't join the gravelord covenant if I already joined another one can I.

You need to have an Eye of Death in your inventory while sitting in the coffin.

Bad Bromance
May 20, 2010

Sorry, guys, I actually do still suck dick! :blush: Also my mom only lets me spend five bucks a month to get my cool gaga avatars back so I guess I'm stuck with this one for a while. :(
I just entered Sen's Fortress, is there anyway I can talk to that one chill serpent dude before the rolling ball trap

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Volitaire posted:

No you can, but he'll be at Firelink. The point of no return is when you enter the Depths. If he's still alive at that point then he'll kill the Firekeeper.

Is this the dude that I freed from the prison before the gargoyle fight?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Nigulus Rex posted:

Fair enough. Though the stray demon was pretty easy too. You literally stay behind him running back and forth between his blast attack. It's like 3 minutes and you take no damage.

Stray Demon wasn't bad once I turned into a Nazgul and could actually survive a single blast. Still, if you got hit at all you were more than likely to get hit a second time by the AOE which would kill you.

I think what really made him a joke is when I realized I could just run up to him and Great Combustion him 6 times and kill him in like literally 30 seconds. Trying to actually cast stuff at range and stay behind him is a huge chore.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lukeycoon posted:

You need to have an Eye of Death in your inventory while sitting in the coffin.

gently caress everything. Where can I find one?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Filthy Monkey posted:

I'm not even completely convinced that strength increases swing speed. I would like to see some hard verification on that, as there seem to be a lot of rumors going on with the details of the game at the moment.

I've boosted my strength all the way up to 32 and I don't see any increase in swing speed.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lukeycoon posted:

I used the Sword Wolf boss soul to make a Greatshield with 88 Stability. Four more than Pavel's and 10 less weight.

It also has like half the elemental resists that Havel's shield has.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Volitaire posted:

Dex is a bit high, otherwise not to bad. Thing about the Sun covenant is that its geared towards Faith builds. You need 20 just to use the lowest level lightning miracle, and 50 to use the highest. So consider that before you make the effort of joining.

I noticed most of the weapons I was planning on using were sporting C's in both Strength and Dex, but I'm not planning on pumping it anymore. I am planning on a faith build, I just wanted to find out if I'd be gimping myself by being a Faith Built Sun Warrior before I put the effort into it. This game is very well balanced so far, but that doesn't stop some cool sounding ideas from being poorly implemented now and again.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Agnostic watermelon posted:

Is this the dude that I freed from the prison before the gargoyle fight?

Yup.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

RBA Starblade posted:

There should be a few right behind the titanite demon near the coffin. Go farm curse frogs if you need more.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

RBA Starblade posted:

Behind the titanite demon right next to it.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Volitaire posted:

Yup.

Guy who gives you the sun medal and sits near her right? I want to make absolute sure.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Guy who gives you the sun medal right? I want to make absolute sure.
The one with the sibilant, smarmy, superior-sounding voice and the sort of crown-shaped helm. In gold armor. Chilling cross-legged.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Guy who gives you the sun medal and sits near her right? I want to make absolute sure.

Yeah, that guy.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
How do you get past the thing on the wall in blight town that is like a giant pulsing turd with tentacles growing out of the end of it and spider legs holding it to the wall? There's a note on the ground that says pyromancy scroll ahead and I thought I saw a glowing item from further up.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

andrew smash posted:

How do you get past the thing on the wall in blight town that is like a giant pulsing turd with tentacles growing out of the end of it and spider legs holding it to the wall? There's a note on the ground that says pyromancy scroll ahead and I thought I saw a glowing item from further up.

Shoot it with arrows, or find the nearby ladder going up that takes you in front of it to melee it to death.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lukeycoon posted:

Havel's Greatshield has 80 resist to magic and lightning though and it has that fun L2 ability that gives you temporary Iron Flesh (I think?) for the cost of 300 durability.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

So what's up with the grave lord covenant? I've set the evil eye's down and waited and waited and waited and nothing is happening.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

evilalien posted:

There should be a few right behind the titanite demon near the coffin. Go farm curse frogs if you need more.

Found it, though it killed me and took the one humanity I found in five hours.

I think I'll put an eye down at the starting area with firebombs in the Undead Burg. For kicks.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 11, 2011

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007

Luminaflare posted:

So what's up with the grave lord covenant? I've set the evil eye's down and waited and waited and waited and nothing is happening.

Conceptually what that means is that the people who have the invading things haven't found the sign they need to counter-invade you. Realistically the connection might just be boners and not letting your invasion/their counter-invasion work properly.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Luminaflare posted:

The internet seems to think it's bugged and doesn't work in the first place.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I can see why you guys don't like Blight Town now that I've gone through the front. What's worse is that I need to go there a couple more times. Why do you have to be so far away, path of the Dragon?! :mad:

Ugh, I haven't even set foot in Andor Londo, either.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Aggh, the four kings keep owning me. I don't understand how they work. I've tried it a few times own my own, and a couple times with a human companion, but I can't seem to win.

We managed to kill a couple the last time, but they seemed to come back? I don't really understand how the fight works.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well, Priscilla just rocked my poo poo hard. Is there a good strategy for her as a heavily armored melee fighter? I've got a Lightning Spear +3, Zweihander +10, Blessed Halberd +4, and a Fire Shotel +5 available. I figured I'd use the big swings of the zweihander to knock her out of invisibility, but instead I just got my face raped. Glad I had that sacrifice ring on.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Ugh, gently caress these stupid bugs.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
So I just really like the Force miracle, and I was wondering if increasing Faith makes it any more effective? Perhaps a wider radius of effect?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Filthy Monkey posted:

Aggh, the four kings keep owning me. I don't understand how they work. I've tried it a few times own my own, and a couple times with a human companion, but I can't seem to win.

We managed to kill a couple the last time, but they seemed to come back? I don't really understand how the fight works.

Trick is to just go pure offense. Put on some heavy armor, and don't bother blocking. Just take hits, heal when you have to and keep doing damage. The longer the fight goes on, the more of them will spawn. If you can kill them fast enough you'll only have to fight one, maybe two at a time.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
So I just killed the Black Knight by standing on top of a house and chucking firebombs/black firebombs/arrows/stones/kitchen sinks at him until he died.

Am I doing it right?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Christ I wish summon signs wouldn't despawn if you wander off too far. Probably the biggest obstacle to me getting summoned so far is my lack of patience for sitting around on my arse waiting for someone to wander along and summon me. I just get bored and bugger off to find something else to kill.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
So has anyone found the flying guillotine weapon yet? I think its called the blood letter or something close.

This is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Filthy Monkey posted:

They spawn on a timer I think, it's fairly quick too, so you just have to burn them down quickly. Get in close, and don't bother blocking their overhead strike, dodge left or right, then continue to attack. They have to die quickly, you generally want to avoid having two or more on screen at once. By the end of the fight there may be four, it depends on how fast you kill, but the kings DO respawn, and you can kill them again to lower the main shared health bar.

Also if you see them spin, get ready to dodge or you're getting grabbed and it's unfortunate for all involved.

• Locked thread