Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

TC_ posted:

Has anyone ever had good or bad luck buying packages of vinyl off eBay (IE 100 45s for $20, etc)? I realize digging is digging and it's always random in terms of the music selection, I mean with people getting screwed over on quality, damage in shipping, etc.

I usually have alright luck, sometimes they don't have sleeves, sometimes they're in great condition. Send the seller a message and ask about the I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

TC_ posted:

Has anyone ever had good or bad luck buying packages of vinyl off eBay (IE 100 45s for $20, etc)? I realize digging is digging and it's always random in terms of the music selection, I mean with people getting screwed over on quality, damage in shipping, etc.

These job lots are great for filling jukeboxes. If you haven't got a jukebox yet, you'll have to get one now too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ron Burgundy posted:

These job lots are great for filling jukeboxes. If you haven't got a jukebox yet, you'll have to get one now too.

I want to break into a place with one of these old style jukeboxes and replace all the songs with Party All the Time by Eddie Murphy.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

CPL593H posted:

I want to break into a place with one of these old style jukeboxes and replace all the songs with Party All the Time by Eddie Murphy.
You're a man after my own heart.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
New Vault package has been announced:

That's... fine I guess? I don't know. What's keeping my Get Behind Me Satan (re)release, Jack? This bootleg won't do :(

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It's about goddamn time. I kept checking for udpates on Third Man to see what the package is this time. It was worth the wait.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

CPL593H posted:

It's about goddamn time. I kept checking for udpates on Third Man to see what the package is this time. It was worth the wait.

Really? I think this is one of the worse yet. I'm sick of live albums and DVDs, and I couldn't care less about remixes...

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Surfingelectrode posted:

Really? I think this is one of the worse yet. I'm sick of live albums and DVDs, and I couldn't care less about remixes...

I love live material and that's the primary reason I signed up for the vault in the first place. I'm so-so on the remixes, but I love the other stuff. Package 9 is kind of lame, but I'm really exicted for the Two Star Tabernacle recording. What kind of stuff would you prefer?

edit: I would like it if they did more t-shirts as was originally the plan.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

CPL593H posted:

I love live material and that's the primary reason I signed up for the vault in the first place. I'm so-so on the remixes, but I love the other stuff. Package 9 is kind of lame, but I'm really exicted for the Two Star Tabernacle recording. What kind of stuff would you prefer?

edit: I would like it if they did more t-shirts as was originally the plan.

More unreleased stuff or reissues of rare releases.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Surfingelectrode posted:

More unreleased stuff or reissues of rare releases.

We've been getting plenty of that, but they just tend to focus it on the 45s. My only major complaint with the vault is that those singles compilations are a total cop out. But thus far there hasn't been a single package that didn't have at least one thing I was really pleased with. The all White Stripes package they did recently is exactly the kind of stuff I want from the Vault.

Now if they could just put out a proper release of Get Behind Me Satan and a reissue of the Upholsterers.....

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

I just picked this lot up from the post office. God I love this expensive hobby.

The Different Class is a reissue but unfortunately lacks the interchangable covers version that goes for shitloads on Discogs.

I think I lucked out with the coloured vinyl for the Lips/Lightning Bolt EP.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Surfingelectrode posted:

How many Raconteurs live albums do we really need?

I guess I'm just sad that of all the packages I had to miss it wasn't this one or the Wanda one, but the Dead Weather one. :smith:

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Oct 8, 2011

Chumpion
Jul 27, 2006

No means NO!

Duckula posted:

I just picked this lot up from the post office. God I love this expensive hobby.

The Different Class is a reissue but unfortunately lacks the interchangable covers version that goes for shitloads on Discogs.

I think I lucked out with the coloured vinyl for the Lips/Lightning Bolt EP.

That's well pretty, I got the Malkmus one about two weeks ago. Took me till today to realise it has this weird little dude-le (nyghhhhhghhhh) etched into the D side. I'm a proper simp for this kinda thing.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.
A buddy of mine was getting rid of some vinyl and asked me if I wanted some old Yes and Zappa stuff. He comes by and gives me a gigantic 90-pound tub with over a hundred records in it. Some of them are in pretty good shape but some show obvious signs of being through a hurricane or two. I have a record cleaning kit that will be getting a lot of use as I go through these, but flipping through a few I have seen some nasty poo poo on the inside of the paper sleeves.

What would be recommended for replacement inner sleeves? This looks to be well reviewed but seems a bit on the pricy side.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

TheForgotton posted:

What would be recommended for replacement inner sleeves? This looks to be well reviewed but seems a bit on the pricy side.

Those are going to drive you nuts trying to get them in the cover without the edges folding over. Look for polylined paper sleeves. More expensive, but worth the money. I've used them for albums and laserdiscs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheForgotton posted:

A buddy of mine was getting rid of some vinyl and asked me if I wanted some old Yes and Zappa stuff. He comes by and gives me a gigantic 90-pound tub with over a hundred records in it. Some of them are in pretty good shape but some show obvious signs of being through a hurricane or two. I have a record cleaning kit that will be getting a lot of use as I go through these, but flipping through a few I have seen some nasty poo poo on the inside of the paper sleeves.

Mobile Fidelity Master Sleeves. They're anti-static and one side of them has a paper backing inside of two ply plastic so as not to be a cluster gently caress when trying to re-insert them into an album cover.

These are they: http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Fidelity-Original-Master-Sleeves/dp/B001LQSFKY

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 11, 2011

Wax On
Mar 22, 2007

drop a bat beat
I'm replacing the cartridge on a turntable that had the needle ripped out by a little kid and was looking at the Denon DL-110 for around $150 before shipping.

Are there any other good mid-range cartridges that I should be looking at? I'd like to spend around $100 - 150 after shipping if possible.

e. I'm also looking at the Ortofon 2M Red which is more in my price range.

Wax On fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 15, 2011

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
The 110 is a moving coil cart, do you have the proper preamp to use an MC cart?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Here are some of my scores from the recent record show here in Vancouver.

Vintage stuff:

Eat a Peach and Live/Dead are a bit scuffed along the bottom but I was mostly looking for good playing copies. I was very, very stoked to find a pristine copy of Thank Christ For The Bomb.

And a new(er) one:

Solace Further 2LP reissue on Meteorcity. It's a bit hard to tell in the picture, but the one on the left is a neat purple swirl, and the one on the right is a sort-of-brown swirl. The track listings are so messed up that I'm still not totally sure which songs are on which sides, but it sounds great!

Funeral Pudding
Jun 20, 2006
My pal the tortoise, fast does he go?

Ron Burgundy posted:

The 110 is a moving coil cart, do you have the proper preamp to use an MC cart?

It's a high output moving coil designed to work correctly with standard moving magnet preamps, so an MC preamp is not necessary.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Funeral Pudding posted:

It's a high output moving coil designed to work correctly with standard moving magnet preamps, so an MC preamp is not necessary.

Wow, I did not know that. Thanks for the correction!

Mach 30
Dec 16, 2005
That's faster than most planes can go!!!
What's that Craigslist? A working 1969 Seeburg LS2 for $20.00? Don't mind if I do!

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Mach 30 posted:

What's that Craigslist? A working 1969 Seeburg LS2 for $20.00? Don't mind if I do!

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Mach 30 posted:

Wow.

Even more so considering the price they go for ~$1000

midge fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 16, 2011

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Mach 30 posted:

That's beautiful. What have you loaded into it so far?

Mach 30
Dec 16, 2005
That's faster than most planes can go!!!

Darthemed posted:

That's beautiful. What have you loaded into it so far?

Thanks! For time's sake, here's pictures of the records currently loaded. I didn't feel like typing each one of them out. Some came with it, some I bought and replaced ones I didn't care for.

I went to a local thrift store and bought them completely out of 45's for $50. I got a few hundred!

Mach 30 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 16, 2011

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Light in the Attic is reissuing Mercury Rev's Deserter's Songs!

http://lightintheattic.net/releases/623-deserter-s-songs

This album owns and I'm pumped to finally get a copy of it for less than, like, $100. Also glad to hear LitA is handling the reissue!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Wow, I didn't know they were making 45s for Jukeboxes into the late 90s early 200s like that. That's really a pretty big surprise.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
That thing is a party fuckin machine

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

You seem to have forgotten to add Party All the Time by Eddie Murphy to that selection.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

Wow, I didn't know they were making 45s for Jukeboxes into the late 90s early 200s like that. That's really a pretty big surprise.

I'm even more surprised that a thrift store had all of that lying around as opposed to scuffed, unplayable Mitch Miller records.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
http://new-vinyl.blogspot.com/2011/10/record-store-day-presents-black-friday.html
Black Friday Record Store Day? I'm somewhat encouraged by the idea of the flipper audience going for the traditional Black Friday deals than the local record shop.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cheesus posted:

http://new-vinyl.blogspot.com/2011/10/record-store-day-presents-black-friday.html
Black Friday Record Store Day? I'm somewhat encouraged by the idea of the flipper audience going for the traditional Black Friday deals than the local record shop.

Wow, what a lovely list. It's all just overpriced repackagings of poo poo everybody already has. More proof that RSD isn't geared towards music fans.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
No offense, but in terms of getting people into the door, you're going to have any easier time saying "Hey, we got a special version of your favorite album on your favorite format" and getting results than you will "Hey, here's six LPs worth of badly recorded live-material from a tape-deck that's playing at the wrong speed."

That's not to say the event isn't poorly ran and features bad deals.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

No offense, but in terms of getting people into the door, you're going to have any easier time saying "Hey, we got a special version of your favorite album on your favorite format" and getting results than you will "Hey, here's six LPs worth of badly recorded live-material from a tape-deck that's playing at the wrong speed."

That's not to say the event isn't poorly ran and features bad deals.

There is a middle ground you know. They could use this even to put out reissues of rare records that typically cost way too much money. Like they did with the Flaming Lips box set. I'm not against buying reissues of classic rock albums, but taking the radio tracks off of The Wall, speading it across three or four 7" records and then charging thirty or forty bucks for it is loving lame. If they're going to go the route of reissuing really common stuff like that, the least they could do is maybe sell the whole album, properly remastered, for a reasonable price.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Cheesus posted:

It all seems to be classic rock. Are they targeting baby boomers with plenty of disposable income now?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dflanny posted:

It all seems to be classic rock. Are they targeting baby boomers with plenty of disposable income now?

Yeah. That kind of plays into what Cemetry Gator was saying. It's just easier to sell this poo poo. As far as I know, most music savy people think RSD is waste of time. It's pretty much become a cash grab for all involved (Why else would they have a special round 2 on Black Friday?). It's a shame too, because this could have been a pretty cool thing to look forward to every year.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Mach 30 posted:

HOLY CRAP that is the best deal anyone has ever got on anything. I'm still holding on to the hope that someone will list something like an AMI Continental for $14. (I'm a sucker for a visible mech)

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 17, 2011

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Ron Burgundy posted:

HOLY CRAP that is the best deal anyone has ever got on anything. I'm still holding on to the hope that someone will list something like an AMI Continental for $14. (I'm a sucker for a visible mech)

That's a better deal than the $80 full size accordion I found on Craigslist. drat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/reissues

pre-orders for the first two reissues are out. they include the remastered album, 15 (for Gish) and 17 (for Siamese Dream) unreleased/alternative songs on the second disc, and a live dvd in each. Also some other random things (pictures and stuff) and new cover art. The vinyl reissue is just the album reissued on vinyl. This all seems pretty drat cool, but it also seems pretty expensive, at least for the vinyl. Someone with a better knowledge of the average price of these things (I honestly don't buy a ton of reissues) can comment on this better than I.