Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Looking for some in-ear earphones in the UK to replace my broken Sennheisers (I bought some £5 crap earphones from Argos to hold me over until I got paid).

Most I'll pay is around £30 really. I don't care enough about the quality to pay more, just as long as they feel good in my ears and fit comfortably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I just bought an Aeropress and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good variable temperature water heater that can go along with it. I found this on amazon: http://tinyurl.com/3sm8s4a but it's a bit pricey. Am I going to have to spend about $50 for a precise water heater? Also, I don't need a huge pot because I'm only going to be making a cup or two at a time. Thanks goons!

Ragman
Dec 25, 2010
Hey guys, I'm looking for the best earplugs that have ever been known to mankind. I want them fit for a king, able to block anything. Walmart brand doesn't cut it. I'm posting from my phone, so sorry if this has been posted before.

Money isn't a problem, because I hate my roommates that much. Thank you.

Deadcell27
May 11, 2007

Quick, before he comes back!

Kifisonfire posted:

Looking for some in-ear earphones in the UK to replace my broken Sennheisers (I bought some £5 crap earphones from Argos to hold me over until I got paid).

Most I'll pay is around £30 really. I don't care enough about the quality to pay more, just as long as they feel good in my ears and fit comfortably.

You should be able to get another pair of in-ear Sennheisers in HMV for around £15. Bear in mind that Sennheisers have a 2 year warranty with them, not sure if it will be relevant to your problem though.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

Ragman posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking for the best earplugs that have ever been known to mankind. I want them fit for a king, able to block anything. Walmart brand doesn't cut it. I'm posting from my phone, so sorry if this has been posted before.

Get silicone ear plugs. They are much more comfortable than foam. To really block out noise, put in foam then seal with the silicone on top. I did that when I worked nights and a construction crew was making God awful racket and it worked great. But the foam start to hurt my ears. The silicone are comfy and work great. Wearing some now.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Not sure if its been mentioned yet but if you are looking for a blender get the Vitamix 5200. it is expensive at $500 but worth every penny. last night I made an apple, grape, banana, blueberry and spinach smoothie with a few drops of agave syrup in it and it was delicious.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

picklejars posted:

Get silicone ear plugs. They are much more comfortable than foam. To really block out noise, put in foam then seal with the silicone on top. I did that when I worked nights and a construction crew was making God awful racket and it worked great. But the foam start to hurt my ears. The silicone are comfy and work great. Wearing some now.

But be prepared to hear your breathing and sinuses functioning, to an annoying degree, imho. Takes some getting used to, is all.

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see

Ragman posted:

The best thing you can do is go to the ear doctor and get a set of custom earplugs. Most anywhere will do it, although prices can vary greatly (had a mold done locally here for 25 euros). You will hear NOTHING, except deep bass and your own bodily functions inside your head, as the previous poster already mentioned.

Even better, get a set of custom headphones made out of those molds! Westone make good ones.

kyacker
Nov 17, 2003

ll klye baker. he is wife.

Optikalusion posted:

The best thing you can do is go to the ear doctor and get a set of custom earplugs. Most anywhere will do it, although prices can vary greatly (had a mold done locally here for 25 euros). You will hear NOTHING, except deep bass and your own bodily functions inside your head, as the previous poster already mentioned.

Even better, get a set of custom headphones made out of those molds! Westone make good ones.

As an audiologist, I will vouch for Westone but they are really pricey and I don't think they sell direct to the consumer. You're likely to get a better deal from your local audiologist than an ENT.
Also if you don't like the occlusion, get musicians plugs. Still protect your hearing but have a more comfortable penetration frequency response.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I need a product to remove tape. The previous tenants in my apartment apparently loved putting tape on the windows, so now it's bonded to the glass or some poo poo. In any case, I can't seem to scrape it off, so I was wondering what product can be used to remove it.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Morpheus posted:

I need a product to remove tape. The previous tenants in my apartment apparently loved putting tape on the windows, so now it's bonded to the glass or some poo poo. In any case, I can't seem to scrape it off, so I was wondering what product can be used to remove it.

Rubbing alcohol. Or Goo Gone.

Rubbing alcohol on a rag does a great job at least starting to break down the adhesive. Nail polish remover works as well. If that doesn't get it, goo gone works, but read the directions.

Ragman
Dec 25, 2010

Optikalusion posted:

I'm thinking about doing this, or at least calling an ear doctor in the area first and asking. I would do anything to go at least a few hours of silence at night without having to listen to the loving idiots I live around. The past few days I've just kept my iPod plugged in, but I don't constantly want loud music ringing in my ears.

If nothing else, the silicone sounds good and it's definitely better than nothing.

Aubergine Despot
Jan 1, 2009

Morpheus posted:

The products listed above work well, but if you're not using a razor blade for scraping, you should be. A new razor blade is like magic for removing sticky tape residue, once you've loosened it with alcohol.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Aubergine Despot posted:

The products listed above work well, but if you're not using a razor blade for scraping, you should be. A new razor blade is like magic for removing sticky tape residue, once you've loosened it with alcohol.

This a million times. Even works on car windows!

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Just don't use it on car windows with defrosters, as it tends to take the defroster portion off as well.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Aubergine Despot posted:

Absolutely, this. I made an assumption that razor blades were being used.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Deadcell27 posted:

You should be able to get another pair of in-ear Sennheisers in HMV for around £15. Bear in mind that Sennheisers have a 2 year warranty with them, not sure if it will be relevant to your problem though.
I've had mine longer than 2 years sadly, so I imagine getting them repaired will cost more than a new set. Guess I'm swinging by HMV tomorrow before work then.

Harpurr Lee
Apr 1, 2010
So last Christmas I searched for an affordable leather backpack that I could carry my laptop and textbooks around in, and I found Diaz Bags on Etsy. I ended up getting this bag:

It's a 15 inch laptop bag in Crazy Horse.

After a year, I can say that it's solid, fairly comfortable, and it definitely gets its fair share of compliments. I haven't been able to find a bag that is as big and well constructed as this one at the same price point.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Best USB omni microphone that's no more than the size of a fist (as small as possible basically)? Not necessarily looking for the cheapest one.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Anyone have any recommendations for cheap binoculars?

coRRale
Mar 22, 2005

Bloop
And a strong shovel?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Oh, and some inexpensive over-the-counter chloroform?

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue
While we're at it a 5 gallon tub of lube would come in reaaaal handy.

And enough tic-tacs to fill the trunk of a Lincoln Towncar, but I could be flexible on that.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

It's not an online source, but I know a guy:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Rec for men's dress socks that don't wear out too quickly or make feet sweat too much. Preferably dark color without design so I don't have to worry about matching.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

coRRale posted:

And a strong shovel?

Bulldog hand-forged shovels are supposed to be pretty awesome.
http://www.bulldogtools.co.uk

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Anybody have a recommendation for an FM radio transmitter for mp3 players? All the major brands seem to just make stuff for iPods.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
In an odd bit of coincidence Im looking for a good FM radio transmitter for an iPod, anyone have any recommendations? The reviews seem to be all over the place.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

recommend me a Laptop carrying backpack of holding

PLaSMaN
Apr 10, 2006
Stupid what !?

Ironsights posted:

Anybody have a recommendation for an FM radio transmitter for mp3 players? All the major brands seem to just make stuff for iPods.

unzealous posted:

In an odd bit of coincidence Im looking for a good FM radio transmitter for an iPod, anyone have any recommendations? The reviews seem to be all over the place.

I came in here to ask something similar, does anyone have some advice on a good car FM transmitter that includes an MP3 player? I've tried one so far and it was not bad but maybe some of you have experienced the best ones.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
They all kinda suck as the FCC limits the antenna strength. I like the Griffin iTrip which you can get with just an auxiliary jack. If you want really good sound my advice is to get a new car stereo with an auxiliary jack which really isn't too expensive. You can get one for $50 plus wiring harness and it isn't hard to install.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
Hey the corners of my lips are cracked and hurt like a bitch how do I fix this with products??

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Hey the corners of my lips are cracked and hurt like a bitch how do I fix this with products??

http://www.amazon.com/Burts-Bees-Beeswax-15-Ounce-Tubes/dp/B002DPUXZM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1318360841&sr=8-3

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Seconded. I have a tube in my pocket right now, poo poo's amazing!

n2o
Nov 8, 2004

biohazard
I have a somewhat specific request, maybe someone will be able to help me.

I need a multi-purpose backpack that I can use for school, rock climbing, and hiking. It needs to have a modular hydration pack that I can fill up and use when its convenient, or take it out and use the space for school books or assorted equipment.

I like this one, but it's hard to tell if it's big enough for a binder and 1-2 books from the picture: http://www.amazon.com/Osprey-034910-520-Raptor-10-Daypack/dp/B002N4W5EA/ref=pd_sbs_sg10

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
EasyTether is the best $5 (on sale, $10 normally) I have ever spent.

Right now my girlfriend's internet is not working. No problem, just plug my phone into her laptop with my USB charging cable and viola! high speed internet. My mom is building a house in rural south carolina. There is no McDonalds free wifi on every corner. She can just plug her phone into her computer and get high speed 3G coverage where normally there is only dial up.

I am on verizon which normally charges me an extra $20 per month to tether a phone and only allows 2Gb of data even though I have an unlimited plan.

BobFossil
Jun 17, 2005

Note to self: I hate whites.

Kifisonfire posted:

I went through 3 pairs of sennheisers at £30 a pop where the left or right bud would start producing very low volume.

So one day I went with these Philips instead and I found they were just as good, producing enough bass and outside noise reduction when you jam them in.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Anyone have recommendations for iPod speakers? I'd like them to sound good and look nice, but not cost more than £75.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

marshmallard posted:

Anyone have recommendations for iPod speakers? I'd like them to sound good and look nice, but not cost more than £75.

How do feel about big round pink pigs?
http://youtu.be/iG657Vks5Sk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

How do feel about big round pink pigs?
http://youtu.be/iG657Vks5Sk

Yeah... not so much. I'd like something that looks quite stylish!

• Locked thread